Quantcast

‘Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B’ producers defend, explain controversial Lifetime biopic

KurotoDan

DANgerousZombie
Reaction score
Reactions
22,237 741 214
Alleybux
Merge if already posted before

imrs.php

No matter what, celebrity biopics inevitably stir up issues as they try to bring someone’s life to the screen. No one is more aware of that than the producers of “Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B,” the Lifetime movie airing Saturday night about the superstar singer who died in a plane crash when she was 22.

Trouble started brewing this summer when Aaliyah’s family told TMZ and the New York Daily News that they didn’t think Lifetime was the right venue for Aaliyah’s life story — and declined to hand over the music rights. Then, Zendaya Coleman, originally cast to play the star, dropped out of the movie, putting production on hold.

Eventually things got back on track: The network cast Alexandra Shipp in the leading role, and scheduled Nov. 15 premiere date. But the movie, which chronicles Aaliyah’s rise to fame as a teen, also struck a negative chord with fans when they revealed it would include some salacious details, including her reported marriage to R. Kelly at age 15.

Damage control time! Filmmakers got on the phone with reporters recently to try to calm fears about the film.

Executive producers Howard Braunstein and Debra Martin Chase, along with author Christopher Farley (whose book “Aaliyah: More Than a Woman” was the basis for the movie) explained that they aimed to create a very tasteful tribute to a star who “led an incredible life in 22 short years.”

Cue the avalanche of questions about Aaliyah’s family’s disapproval and the fact that they don’t have rights to the music.

To clarify: While the movie couldn’t use original Aaliyah recordings, they were able to obtain publishing rights, so Shipp recorded covers of the songs. Producers promised that roadblock didn’t impact moving forward with the movie.

“We’re trying to honor this woman and tell this story of this journey and her overcoming obstacles,” Farley said. “We felt we had enough of the music to still make a terrific film, and we’re excited to tell the story we were telling.”

The R. Kelly element has also caused a stir, as one reporter on the call wondered if it will draw heat given that her family never officially confirmed the nuptials — even though journalists found marriage records (on which Aaliyah lied about her age). Lifetime has already released a clip of a scene in which the movie version of Aaliyah tells her parents she and R. Kelly are married. It doesn’t go well.

The trio argued that R. Kelly, as controversial as he may be, was part of Aaliyah’s life, and an important influence on her music. Farley, who has done extensive research into her life, reiterated that the marriage is a matter of public record, not fictional drama.

“The evidence is there that they were married,” Chase added. “We tried to keep it very tasteful and respectful in our portrayal.”

Braunstein shot down the family’s claims that Lifetime never reached out to them about the movie.

“We absolutely reached out to them, and Lifetime did too,” he said. “They chose not to cooperate with it.” He said that he has no concerns about threats to block to the movie from airing. “Hopefully they’ll enjoy it,” he said. “I hope they’ll be proud.”

Were they rattled by all the Twitter-furor over casting and other controversies? Producers admitted that the fury “was hard to ignore, but you can’t dwell on it,” noting that these fans didn’t really know what was going on with production.

“Biopics are hard,” Chase admitted. “People have an opinion and social media allows them to voice that opinion. But at the end of the day, our goal was to make the best movie possible.”​

Assholes!

Lola B

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
320 16 16
Alleybux
but they didn't even try...they should dust it off and try again...

Cocobutttercup

Lip syncing queen
Reaction score
Reactions
202,487 12,953 2,132
Alleybux
fµck em, fµck ALL OF EM fµck producers, fµck wendy, fµck the actors. fµck ALL DEM MUTHAFUCKAS. J-lo EMBODIED selena, Lawrence and Angela EMBODIED ike and tina, halle EMBODIED dorothy, lou diamond philips EMBODIED ritchie valens, Alexandra was sh!t. Period.

Cersei L

Don't want my $hit to get soggy
Reaction score
Reactions
125,610 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
"Lazy" is the word that comes to mind when I think of this movie. It's like they didn't try and dare I say, didn't care. From the production to the casting, they didn't put any real effort into it and it showed.

llrocks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,527 1,110 215
Alleybux
I am seriously mad Debra Chase Martin (produced the princess diaries, Brandy's Cinderella movie, sparkle among other things) was involved in this. Will forever be siding eyeing her for this.

Adriana_Lima

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,303 289 480
Alleybux
I've yet to watch it.

But while we're here speaking of Aaliyah, has any tea been posted about her or tea related to her on LSA? If so, can someone link me??

Mindless_comedy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,157 499 228
Alleybux
Your goal was to "make the best movie possible"...well we all know that didnt happen.

And Im guessing He saw the dragging they recieved on twitter

ColossallyReal

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
How are they respectfully paying tribute when they're reenacting a part of her life that she obviously didn't want exposed? Aaliyah obviously can't speak for herself, so her mom and brother are her voice, and if they didn't want the movie done, it should not have been done. What's even sadder is Alexandra is retweeting people applauding her and I'm like ok, great, you didn't do a horrible job, but ultimately, the smidge of a good job that you did will forever be tainted by the fact that this movie was produced in poor taste, without Aaliyah's music and her family's approval.

BambiEyes.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
11,612 241 178
Alleybux
If lifetime was part of the casting, then that explains a lot of things

Allieduffy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
462 8 1
Alleybux
fµck em, fµck ALL OF EM fµck producers, fµck wendy, fµck the actors. fµck ALL DEM MUTHAFUCKAS. J-lo EMBODIED selena, Lawrence and Angela EMBODIED ike and tina, halle EMBODIED dorothy, lou diamond philips EMBODIED ritchie valens,
Alexandra was sh!t. Period.

Yep, I said this in another thread. I didn't watch the movie and I could tell she was going to be sh!t from the promo. I could tell from the way Shipp was cheesing and talking all extra sassy. Anybody who's ever seen an Aaliyah interview knew that her mannerism weren't anything like that. Shameful.

twohot_twotrot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,476 657 127
Alleybux
This epic fail of a movie... I refused to watch and give it ratings, but by the rabid dragging that occurred on social media during the movie, it was as bad as I expected it to be. It did spawn some hilarious memes though.

Meenah

~~~~~~Where The Money Reside~~~~~~
Reaction score
Reactions
243,229 3,811 906
Alleybux
If they wanted to spend that much time on R Kelly they should have made an R Kelly bio pic. It didn't take a whole hour. I don't think the subject should have been ignored but it was a small part of her life. I think they focused on it to make up for the lack of her original music and Alexandrias inability to sing and dance well.

Freaky Nelson

Nonchalant
Reaction score
Reactions
3,375 29 11
Alleybux
if you couldn't get the approval using her music and permission from her immediate family, why the hell would you waste time & money making this sh!t movie?

Her uncle is something else....

hershey sweet

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,339 770 166
Alleybux
If it helps the producers any I knew I wasn't gonna watch based on their poor casting choices alone. They're out for a quick buck and not to share her legacy.

JustJordie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,031 35 21
Alleybux
You know it's a bad movie when not one person supports it or gives a good review. I don't understand why they couldn't just scrap the movie in the first place. They had to know this was some bµllsh!t, from the cast, to the set, to the script, to not being able to use her music and hits, to her fans, friends, colleagues and most importantly family not approving or supporting. What was it gonna take for them to realize that this was not gonna end well?

I wanna see Lifetime, Alexandra and the producers including Wendy defend themselves now. They deserve all the backlash and jokes being thrown at them. I cannot wait to see how Wendy spins this sh!t. I really hope Miss Diane and Rashad find someone to put together a legit and amazing movie because this was not the way to remember her. This was such an embarrassment to her legacy.

AlwaysInStyle_

GoddessQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
2,186 127 92
Alleybux
The movie is was horrible!!! Bad actors, bad production, and everything about the movie was trash. I'm waiting for Wendy Willians reaction!!!

Ashley Banks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
192,253 2,382 160
Alleybux
fµck em, fµck ALL OF EM fµck producers, fµck wendy, fµck the actors. fµck ALL DEM MUTHAFUCKAS. J-lo EMBODIED selena, Lawrence and Angela EMBODIED ike and tina, halle EMBODIED dorothy, lou diamond philips EMBODIED ritchie valens, Alexandra was sh!t. Period.
Thank you!!!!! :star:

Intorblue

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Reactions
785 12 2
Alleybux
The family didn't cooperate with you because they didn't want the movie made,duh. Alex said she used the internet and YouTube to learn about Aaliyah :disdain: If the family was involved and approved you could've learned through home videos and got stories from that, not to mention the music.

The singing was just...

The dancing was.....Fatima where you at?

I get a very arrogant vibe from Alex in interviews. You ain't did nothing.

This movie should have never been made. Bios take time, especially with casting. This movie didn't carry the essence of Aaliyah.

PrettyMa

Your Skin on My Skin
Reaction score
Reactions
23,920 1,833 412
Alleybux
If it helps the producers any I knew I wasn't gonna watch based on their poor casting choices alone. They're out for a quick buck and not to share her legacy.

So question , how do movies like this generate money ? Like Selena , and the Tina Turner movie , they were both in the theaters so they profited from the movie . How would this movie along with Whitney's get a profit considering it was airied on TV ?

kishikcm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,240 58 26
Alleybux
Lifetime really needs to give up on the movies. They have very bad quality films.

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,591 10,222 2,157
Alleybux
you had me allllll the way until you said Halle embodied Dorothy, LOL!!
She was bloody awful as Dorothy imo (and the rest of the family's opinion.)

We wanted Janet to play her.

SellingOutSouls

24KCoughDrop
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
251,729 6,530 2,165
Alleybux
There's no defending it. The movie was horrible.

I hate that we didn't get Aaliyah's voice and I hate that her biggest hits weren't part of any of the 'performances' within the movie.

Throughout the movie, I just kept asking 'why didn't they use her voice like it was done with Selena' because I had forgotten that her family was against this movie and that explains why they didn't use her voice.

The casting was horrible. Makes me feel bad to say so because I'm sure the actors were trying to do right by Aaliyah and honor her, but completely failed.

serenissima

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
538 10 10
Alleybux
I refused to watch. I bet the ratings are going to be through the roof, which is all they cared about anyway.

Valor

only show love to my pharmacist.
Reaction score
Reactions
5,386 242 82
Alleybux
So question , how do movies like this generate money ? Like Selena , and the Tina Turner movie , they were both in the theaters so they profited from the movie . How would this movie along with Whitney's get a profit considering it was airied on TV ?

the commercials

kishikcm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,240 58 26
Alleybux

Lifetime movie use to be the sh!t back in the day.

I know. The last movie Lifetime did well was A Girl Like Me, but that was in 2006.

In the past, you can tell that time, effort, and energy was put into the script, acting, locations, editing, etc. But now most of their films look rushed, low budget, and HORRIBLE dialogues/acting.

Eccentric Soul

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,124 305 247
Alleybux
Even if this movie wasn't about Aaliyah, it was still bad! It had absolutely no depth. It was like they were jumping from scene to scene with nothing in between to hold them together . Aaliyah had a mystiq about her. I mean she did wear a patch over her eye. Where was that Aaliyah in the movie? Where was the Tommy Hilfiger wearing Aaliyah in the movie? This film literally could have been about anyone cause I didn't see Aaliyah in this film. No disrespect to Alex Shipp but she didn't embody Aaliyah at all!

TitsMcGhee

Corona Coochie
Reaction score
Reactions
177,913 2,441 813
Alleybux
The family didn't cooperate with you because they didn't want the movie made,duh. Alex said she used the internet and YouTube to learn about Aaliyah :disdain: If the family was involved and approved you could've learned through home videos and got stories from that, not to mention the music.

The singing was just...

The dancing was.....Fatima where you at?

I get a very arrogant vibe from Alex in interviews. You ain't did nothing.

This movie should have never been made. Bios take time, especially with casting. This movie didn't carry the essence of Aaliyah.
She still could've learned to at least be coy and humble like Aaliyah was in her interviews. She was soft spoken but still very confident and Shipp didn't display that at all.

Shampagne

Ignoring half of you heauxs
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,836 864 644
Alleybux
I refuse to give this ratings but does anyone know igood Aaliyah's family would have been ok with a real movie biopic production? Or did they say no in general to one?

Everyone should know the Kels part was gonna be a focus. That's the only tainted piece anyone call pull on her.

Binky Jewel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,357 611 105
Alleybux
Wasnt it produced by Wendy's company? She seemed to think she was the saviour of the flick when Zendaya left/orwasfiredwhatever on her show.
From Gossip Cop
The messy start helped fuel curiosity, as fans continued to fear the final product would do more to harm Aaliyah’s memory than honor it. Those concerns were seemingly confirmed when reviews started coming over the last few days. The Hollywood Reporter said the biopic “fails to capture the magic of why her legacy is still burning bright,” and The Wrap wrote, “Despite a handful of great performances, this small-screen drama is a forgettable, overly publicized splash in the pan unworthy of the woman it earnestly but clumsily attempts to honor. What a shame.”

The New York Times declared, “There may be another way, at some point, to celebrate Aaliyah in film, but ham-handed, underwhelming efforts like this don’t help. Instead of a worthy tribute, this film isn’t much more than an on-screen reflection of behind-the-scenes warring, and a case study in when to cut losses.” And Deadline said, “This is a soulless, aimless look at the life of the singer.”

Those negative comments, however, paled in comparison to the firestorm that erupted during the broadcast on Saturday night. Angry fans took to Twitter while watching to call out casting issues, music choices, and alleged biographical errors. At one point, “#LifetimeDisrespectsAaliyah ” was even trending, as well as “#LifetimeBeLike ,” a hashtag that was still going strong Sunday morning.

Shipp, though, seemed undaunted by the massive backlash. Rather than directly addressing the haters, she defended her participation by retweeting dozens of positive comments, such as “@AlexShipppp is doing a good job w/ her portrayal of #Aaliyah based off of the material she was given. #Aaliyah Movie” and “@AlexShipppp all the negative comments about the movie isn’t needed. It’s pretty good #Aaliyah #Aaliyah Movie #Aaliyah PrincessOfRnB.” Another read, “@AlexShipppp No matter what anyone says, you did a great job. You took on an impossible project.”

The movie was executive produced by Wendy Williams. The talk show host promoted the project on her Twitter feed, but has yet to respond to the criticism.

MELANINBAESS

#blackgirlmagick
Reaction score
Reactions
69 6 9
Alleybux

Exactly same with Wylie when he played michael. He EMBODIED 70's-80's and early 90's Michael. I haven't seen this half assed movie. As an Aaliyah i am pissed because i feel that this should've been thought out more and why is it anything involved with black people is usually half-ass and with no thought behind.

Binky Jewel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,357 611 105
Alleybux
Zap2it's review-
Even if you're not an Aaliyah fan, you've probably heard of the controversy surrounding Lifetime's biopic about the late singer. The press surrounding the film from the moment it was announced centered on Aaliyah's family's disapproval and Lifetime losing the rights to use most of Aaliyah's original music.

If that wasn't a red flag to producers, having their first star -- Disney Channel's Zendaya -- drop out of the project because she didn't think the story was being handled delicately should have been. Yet, here it is. The film recast Alexandra Shipp in its title role and is as teeth-gritting awkward as anyone could expect.
Not having the rights to the music forced Lifetime to focus on Aaliyah's personal life, including her secret marriage to R. Kelly when she was still a teenager and he was 27. It's a story that Aaliyah denied happening when she was alive and her family has been opposed to talking about.

Still, Lifetime covered the topic in a haphazard way. The situation was painted as star crossed lovers torn apart by her parents rather than a predator who coaxes a 15 year old girl into an illegal marriage. Her parents do force an annulment in the film, but then there is another 15 minutes showcasing Aaliyah as a lovesick teenager rather than the emerging new face of R&B.

Without access to Aaliyah's pivotal performances, Lifetime tried to show Aaliyah's musical prowess and business savvy through a series of meetings with record executives and talent agents. However, the two most influential people in Aaliyah's career -- Missy Elliott and Timbaland -- are relegated to one scene and two mentions, despite the fact they crafted her biggest hits. They were essential in cementing Aaliyah as the "princess of R&B." It's also laughable that the first Missy beat Aaliyah listens to in the film is definitely from "Work It" -- which Elliott released in 2002, a year after Aaliyah died.

The film goes on to dismisses Aaliyah's soundtrack contributions without mentioning the tracks by name -- yet "Are You That Somebody" ("Dr. Doolittle") and "Try Again" ("Romeo Must Die") are arguably the singer's most recognized singles. They do spotlight her singing "Journey to the Past" from "Anastasia" at the Oscars -- most likely because it was one of the few songs they could get rights to, but it doesn't make sense to hardly acknowledge the other two's existence.

The most important moments of Aaliyah's career are handled through her giving radio interviews rather than being shown. There are random fast forwards to jump to the parts of Aaliyah's story Lifetime was able to secure the rights to tell rather than trying to portray an accurate timeline of her career. For fans of the late singer it feels egregious and for casual watchers it's disorienting and uncomfortable.

Aaliyah died tragically in a plane crash at the young age of 22 but it's not her sudden death that makes Aaliyah memorable. Her short career changed the sound of modern R&B. She's a direct influence on today's biggest superstars, including Beyonce and Drake.

This isn't a film that honors that legacy -- and it's not the film Aaliyah, who was painstakingly careful about her image, would have wanted made. Shipp is endearing enough, but sounds nothing like the singer. The songs they were able to use were placed in the wrong time periods of her career and overall the film comes off as sloppy at best.

When Lifetime realized they weren't going to be able to make the movie properly, they should have let it go.

CrystalizeD

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
81 10
Alleybux
That movie was a mess. I think they used the whole Aaliyah marrying R. Kelly angle to get views.

Sephora

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,607 137 4
Alleybux
When Wendy announced she was the Executive Producer of the movie I knew it was going to be sh!t. I swear before she became the EP of the movie she said on her show that if the family didn't want the movie it shouldn't be done (I could be wrong though).

Wendy said on her show several times she was going to focus on the R. Kelly relationship and was making it seem like the movie was going to expose all these sordid secrets. Terrible mistake. Aaliyah's career had so much more to it than R. Kelly.

Wendy try to act like she trying to distant herself from radio Wendy (who I listened to everyday) she's not. It was blatant disrespect to make this movie against the family's wishes.

Like Zendaya or not..she did the right thing by not being associated with this movie.

It will be very interesting to watch her show tomorrow and see how she spins it and to see how her phony ass audience responds.

I refuse to watch the movie!!

Scary Spice

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,101 8,237 414
Alleybux
Wendy and the other producers didn't care about making an accurate movie about Aaliyah and her career. They were more interested in making lots of money in viewer ratings with controversial casting of Aaliyah, Missy Elliot, and Timbaland.

BetchWhet

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,583 9 6
Alleybux
I didn't watch the movie, but the reviews sound like it was unbelievably sloppy. Christopher Farley and Lifetime should have respected Aaliyah's family's wish to not expose private moments from her life. They keep claiming that they wanted to do the movie in a "respectful" way, but the decision to move forward without their blessings was such a slap in the face. They don't care about her legacy, money was and will continue to be the bottom line. Absolutely disgusting.

If another movie is made (with Diane and Rashad taking the reins), I hope it is in the same vein as Selena. Let whoever portrays Aaliyah really study her as an artist and as a person. I know Alexandra didn't have much to work with since she was probably a small child when Aaliyah passed and did not receive permission to use additional footage, but watching youtube clips and googling articles is laughable.

KurotoDan

DANgerousZombie
Reaction score
Reactions
22,237 741 214
Alleybux
I didn't watch the movie, but the reviews sound like it was unbelievably sloppy. Christopher Farley and Lifetime should have respected Aaliyah's family's wish to not expose private moments from her life. They keep claiming that they wanted to do the movie in a "respectful" way, but the decision to move forward without their blessings was such a slap in the face. They don't care about her legacy, money was and will continue to be the bottom line. Absolutely disgusting.

If another movie is made (with Diane and Rashad taking the reins), I hope it is in the same vein as Selena. Let whoever portrays Aaliyah really study her as an artist and as a person. I know Alexandra didn't have much to work with since she was probably a small child when Aaliyah passed and did not receive permission to use additional footage, but watching youtube clips and googling articles is laughable.

Having heard twice that Rashad's into film, I'm hoping he'll take a page from Lucie Arnez* and make a documentary. The Lifetime/Farley/Wendell atrocity should be yank out of the network's archives and erased at all cost.

*She went and made her doc on her mom and dad after the Lucy & Desi: Before the Laughter debacle