Quantcast

‘Saturdays’ Comedy Produced By ‘Black-ish’s Marsai Martin Gets Disney Channel Pilot Order

Start Over

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,772 1,951 149
Alleybux

EXCLUSIVE: Disney Channel has handed a pilot order to Saturdays, a single-camera comedy about a young girl and her competitive roller skating crew, from 16-year-old Black-ish star Marsai Martin via her Genius Entertainment and writer-executive producer Norman Vance Jr. (Roll Bounce, Girlfriends). Charles Stone III (Drumline, black-ish) will direct.

Written by Vance, the pilot centers on Paris Johnson, played by Danielle Jalade (Yes Day), a 13-year-old girl who has spent most of her life roller-skating.

Saturdays follows Paris, who, since the age of four, has been honing her skills on the cool parquet floor of Saturdays, a local skating rink owned and operated by a former ’90s hip-hop back-up dancer. With its neon lights, galaxy-painted rink and killer D.J. spinning the latest music, Saturdays is the place to show and prove. Paris is the leader of a skate crew and is determined to take them all the way to the top. However, she has sickle cell disease, and when it flares up, it’ll take every ounce of determination to prove the doubters wrong, including her concerned family.

Omar Gooding (Family Time) and Golden Brooks (Girlfriends) will play Paris’ parents, Cal and Deb, and Jermaine Harris (The Map of Tiny Perfect Things) will portray her older brother and aspiring D.J., London. Daria Johns (Nappily Ever After) and newcomer Samantha Smith have also been cast as Paris’ best friends and skating partners, Simone and Roxy, respectively. Additionally, Grammy-nominated hip-hop artist Yolanda “Yo-Yo” Whitaker will recur as roller rink owner Duchess.

“When we met with Marsai about this project, we couldn’t have been more impressed with her passion for diverse storytelling and commitment to female empowerment,” said Rafael Garcia, vice president, Development, Disney Branded Television. “We’re extremely excited to team up with Norman and the Genius Entertainment team to tap into roller-skating culture in a way that’s truly both authentic and aspirational for our audience.”

Martin and Nicole Dow will executive produce for Genius Entertainment. Martin’s parents Joshua and Carol Martin also will executive produce.

Genius Entertainment, founded by Martin alongside Joshua and Carol Martin, creates stories meant to inspire, illuminate, and celebrate the diverse experiences of girls and people of color. Martin starred in and executive produced the 2019 feature film Little. She portrays Diane Johnson on black-ish, a role which has earned her seven NAACP Image Awards.

Veteran TV and film writer Vance’s credits include Moesha and Girlfriends. Vance has written and produced several films, including Roll Bounce, followed by Beauty Shop and Pride. He most recently served as supervising producer on the series American Soul, Swagger and Queen Sugar.

‘Saturdays’ Comedy By ‘Black-ish’s Marsai Martin Gets Disney Pilot – Deadline

MichikoM

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
89,796 9,576 698
Alleybux
YASSSSS!!!! NIECE

Who would’ve thought a 16 year old girl would be the one that would give dark skin black girls the representation they deserve

the kids needs this

Last edited:

D O U X

libra's groove
Reaction score
Reactions
127,117 2,491 333
Alleybux
I told y’all years ago that this young woman will be a problem. I see so much in her future, and I hope this show is a hit.

LadyAthena

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,632 2,119 835
Alleybux
Girrrrrrrrl!!!! At 16 and already on her second producing job. Executives need to be throwing money at this kid because she is the next big thing.

Cocoa Bunny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,763 5,399 4,461
Alleybux

EXCLUSIVE: Disney Channel has handed a pilot order to Saturdays, a single-camera comedy about a young girl and her competitive roller skating crew, from 16-year-old Black-ish star Marsai Martin via her Genius Entertainment and writer-executive producer Norman Vance Jr. (Roll Bounce, Girlfriends). Charles Stone III (Drumline, black-ish) will direct.

Written by Vance, the pilot centers on Paris Johnson, played by Danielle Jalade (Yes Day), a 13-year-old girl who has spent most of her life roller-skating.

Saturdays follows Paris, who, since the age of four, has been honing her skills on the cool parquet floor of Saturdays, a local skating rink owned and operated by a former ’90s hip-hop back-up dancer. With its neon lights, galaxy-painted rink and killer D.J. spinning the latest music, Saturdays is the place to show and prove. Paris is the leader of a skate crew and is determined to take them all the way to the top. However, she has sickle cell disease, and when it flares up, it’ll take every ounce of determination to prove the doubters wrong, including her concerned family.

Omar Gooding (Family Time) and Golden Brooks (Girlfriends) will play Paris’ parents, Cal and Deb, and Jermaine Harris (The Map of Tiny Perfect Things) will portray her older brother and aspiring D.J., London. Daria Johns (Nappily Ever After) and newcomer Samantha Smith have also been cast as Paris’ best friends and skating partners, Simone and Roxy, respectively. Additionally, Grammy-nominated hip-hop artist Yolanda “Yo-Yo” Whitaker will recur as roller rink owner Duchess.

“When we met with Marsai about this project, we couldn’t have been more impressed with her passion for diverse storytelling and commitment to female empowerment,” said Rafael Garcia, vice president, Development, Disney Branded Television. “We’re extremely excited to team up with Norman and the Genius Entertainment team to tap into roller-skating culture in a way that’s truly both authentic and aspirational for our audience.”

Martin and Nicole Dow will executive produce for Genius Entertainment. Martin’s parents Joshua and Carol Martin also will executive produce.

Genius Entertainment, founded by Martin alongside Joshua and Carol Martin, creates stories meant to inspire, illuminate, and celebrate the diverse experiences of girls and people of color. Martin starred in and executive produced the 2019 feature film Little. She portrays Diane Johnson on black-ish, a role which has earned her seven NAACP Image Awards.

Veteran TV and film writer Vance’s credits include Moesha and Girlfriends. Vance has written and produced several films, including Roll Bounce, followed by Beauty Shop and Pride. He most recently served as supervising producer on the series American Soul, Swagger and Queen Sugar.

‘Saturdays’ Comedy By ‘Black-ish’s Marsai Martin Gets Disney Pilot – Deadline

I loved her in that movie with Issa Rae and Regina Hall. This young lady is doing big things. Hope it gets picked up by Disney so I can watch it with my niece.

MichikoM

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
89,796 9,576 698
Alleybux
Watch out for Marsai, she’s taking over Hollywood!!!!!!

Last edited:

cokicokiwi27

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,511 5,441 151
Alleybux
Great for Marsai! Hopefully, Disney Channel picks it up as a series.

The lack of representation for dark skin black girls on these Nickelodeon and Disney sitcoms is seriously lacking big time.

The only ones I can think of in recent memory are Skai Jackson on Jessie, Riele Downs from Henry Danger, Trinitee Stokes on KC Undercover.

booknlooks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
178,055 5,722 2,288
Alleybux
YASSSSS!!!! NIECE

Who would’ve have thought a 16 year old girl would be the one that would give dark skin black girls the representation they deserve

the kids needs this
She's producing alot of great projects. Unfortunately you can't depend on the Black veterans in Hollywood to produce this content since they're only concerned with projects that showcase themselves.

hopeful1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,369 386 124
Alleybux
Oooh, De La Soul's song Saturday should be the theme music. And I'm about to go tell these children. One is going to say, "That's wife material. I gotta step my game up." Sure, sir.

T H I E F S

A Person
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
124,410 8,683 13,079
Alleybux
Ah.... she's producing. I read the title and thought she was starring, and I was about to say that this sounds like a backwards step for her.

Anyway, yeah. As has already been said, she is gonna be a problem.

SugarBeeHair

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,644 28 11
Alleybux

Awww!! I’m so happy for them. It’s so good to see black girls getting representation in Disney now. There were like 2/3 when I watched the channel, now there’s going to be a new show full of black girls!

Marsai is producing it too! She’s doing so much at just 16. I want her to be successful :)

KuroiHakucho

The Ebony Swan
Reaction score
Reactions
42,458 534 239
Alleybux
I feel mixed about this.

On one hand, I'm happy for her but on the other... It's Disney which is notorious for screwing over black actresses especially the darker skinned ones.

They'd better do right by her.

Akimbo

Cheverly Remembrance Week: April 15-21
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
332,662 20,846 4,110
Alleybux
Fantastic news and was so happy when I saw the cast photos. Actual, real life Black girls! I like the little girl with the braids and am glad to see Omar Gooding getting more work. Don’t care for Golden Brooks, but ain’t mad.

upload_2021-3-11_17-36-24.jpeg

upload_2021-3-11_17-19-17.jpeg

Last edited:

Yonce PR

Chicks suffering from DC PTSD like it’s 1998
Reaction score
Reactions
196,431 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
I feel mixed about this.

On one hand, I'm happy for her but on the other... It's Disney which is notorious for screwing over black actresses especially the darker skinned ones.

They'd better do right by her.
She’s producing the project so I’m sure she’ll have the creative freedom to do things to her liking.

Last edited:

GetLikeMeHo

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
161,640 6,182 3,273
Alleybux
Happy for Marsai and happy that the newer generation of black children will have a show full of darker toned black girls.
Nice to see Moe and Maya getting some work as well.

Ntsap

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
199,955 5,634 2,257
Alleybux
I’m about to cry. It’s about damn time! Go Marsai and think you for using your platform for positive representation of monoracial black girls.

jaybeifong

The Greatest MetalBender
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
2,257 86 45
Alleybux
I hope golden brooks isn't a ghetto mess with this role but i'm so happy for everybody

SarahElephant

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,179 801 130
Alleybux
This is kick ass! I'm here for it. Just showing once again, we have to stop waiting around for the YTS to put us in their sh!t, when we can start producing and creating are own stuff. Props to MM and all of the young beautiful girls who will be on this show. I hope that are protected and looked out for. I'm 25 now and haven't watched anything Disney related in a good minute except for all of the Disney OG shows that I grew up with lol but I will definitely check this show out when it drops.

Rexo

“ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴀᴄᴋ ᴄᴏɴᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴏɴ”──✮⋆˙♛
Reaction score
Reactions
231,440 3,935 964
Alleybux
This is amazing. Marsai is an inspiration to young black girls everywhere!

fanon

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
128,526 1,592 427
Alleybux
Fantastic news and was so happy when I saw the cast photos. Actual, real life Black girls! I like the little girl with the braids and am glad to see Omar Gooding getting more work. Don’t care for Golden Brooks, but ain’t mad.

View attachment 2388730

View attachment 2388694
Look at this beautiful black cast.

Go ahead, Marsai! Now here's a young black girl that's doing things. Love it and will support wholeheartedly.

Knee Knee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
331,880 9,398 1,534
Alleybux
I'm just glad Golden Brooks snagged a role cause I hated seeing how she had fallen on Hollywood Divas.