Results are only viewable after voting.

Audiophilia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,714 420 705
Alleybux
I watched the show and I finished it.

To me the show discusses the psychological effects of racism. Each Black character faces their own demons (as an effect) plus what happened to the mother that day (this part was gruesome and I did have a hard time watching it). However, I do believe that you have to watch the show all the way through to get it. And its not true that the Black family just let ish happen. They fought back.

I also looked at the show from a historical perspective. What do you think happened when Black families moved into these all-white neighborhoods? They were welcomed with open arms. Nope, Im sure the reality was more gruesome than the show.

Look at Ruby Bridges and the other girls that intergrated the segregated schools, they had to have protection. They were not wanted there and busing went on until 80s and even our President Biden was against busing at one point.

The show highlighted red-lining and segregation of the neighborhoods- something we still feel effects of.

Colorism- a byproduct of white supremacy and this society.

and so on.

Racism is a horror and a terror all its own. I dont believe the show depicted white people as saints at all. And what happens to that white woman at the end...wow. But lets not act like The Quakers and others did not exist. I felt like the show depicted how sick white racists are and still are.

Unpopular opinion, but the show was good to me and I plan on watching the next part of the series if one is made.

However, for those who cannot watch this, I understand. It was hard for me to watch When They See Us when it first came out. So I skipped it and I just finished the show a month ago now.

Now is this Black trauma pδrn, I dont agree. Our history in this country is not rainbows. We endured and this is why we need reparations.

Now can television have more light hearted shows like the 90s, yes. And there are. Some mentioned Selah and The Spades, The New Jamie Foxx Show, Self Made, She's Gotta Have It, Atlanta, Saints and Sinners, Family Time, Raising Dion (superhero show)and more. Also, web series like Dear Future Wife, Black and Sexy, Firsts (which is becoming a movie), Giants.
Kudos to you. You get it.

ashma2815

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I think the point of the show is to face our triggers and do some much needed soul work to heal and ascend. The family had to face their demons in order to recognize their power. Their personal demons were much more of a threat than their neighbors. They tried to escape their past and leave it in North Carolina...and start a new in Compton. The universe will have you deal with your past hurt and trauma if you don’t take the initiative. It’s the only way to pick up and move forward. Once you get past the triggering scenes, there is a great message behind it....but that’s just my perspective

ashma2815

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I have a few questions after finishing the show.

1. Was Aunt Hazel real?
2. What was the deal with the milk man? Was that just a weird side story? I was kind of frustrated that he was the one who killed that racist lady neighbor. I was hoping the family would finish her off. Just seemed like a weird side story.
3. Was the land cursed or just their house that contained the man with the hat who made the pact with Satan in the basement? The neighbors were so awful that they seemed cursed too but according to my mom born 1960s she said white people really were/are that evil so maybe that was just "normal."
4. The lady with the husband with the chopped off legs, did she really burn her kids in the oven? What was that about??
1. I think she was, but the show had a ghost element to it so I think they played on that. Plus the mother had some mental traumas going on that skewed her perception.
2. I think they wanted to show that the “cookie cutter white housewife” image is not what it’s cracked up to be. They have issues too, don’t get it twisted lol...she had a traumatic childhood and an unhappy marriage life, she was seeking validation elsewhere and it bit her in the ass.
3. If I had to guess, that land might have been compton before it became that...or that’s some of the forefathers the white neighbors were speaking of.
4. I believe she did. She mentioned getting hollered at by the man in the black hat so I’m sure he convinced her to kill her kids...hence why she was locked up in the psyche ward. He was trying to do that with Lucky (the main character) but she eventually outsmarted him.
...I hope this helps...I only watched it once. I’m sure I will catch more the second go around.

BonnieSchmurda

Y’all stay asking stupid questions! Smh
Reaction score
Reactions
33,600 1,323 499
Alleybux
Lena Waithe is the new Tyler Perry! Can we all agree?!?!?! Their projects are successful but the work is beyonddddddddddd terrible

Cryeisha

The High Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
166,815 21,298 10,690
Alleybux
This is an amazing show. I just started watching it and saw two episodes.

I don’t watch shows, hence, why I am never on this forum.

I’m hoping the horror doesn’t make it ridiculous though but I’m enjoying it for the drama and it made me extra motivated in life (the racism and what this family is going through is making me upset).

I was going to make a whole thread about this but I saw this thread was already made.

@BronxMommy

CherryFlower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,933 5,828 4,644
Alleybux
Tell me this, i
I watched the show and I finished it.

To me the show discusses the psychological effects of racism. Each Black character faces their own demons (as an effect) plus what happened to the mother that day (this part was gruesome and I did have a hard time watching it). However, I do believe that you have to watch the show all the way through to get it. And its not true that the Black family just let ish happen. They fought back.

I also looked at the show from a historical perspective. What do you think happened when Black families moved into these all-white neighborhoods? They were welcomed with open arms. Nope, Im sure the reality was more gruesome than the show.

Look at Ruby Bridges and the other girls that intergrated the segregated schools, they had to have protection. They were not wanted there and busing went on until 80s and even our President Biden was against busing at one point.

The show highlighted red-lining and segregation of the neighborhoods- something we still feel effects of.

Colorism- a byproduct of white supremacy and this society.

and so on.

Racism is a horror and a terror all its own. I dont believe the show depicted white people as saints at all. And what happens to that white woman at the end...wow. But lets not act like The Quakers and others did not exist. I felt like the show depicted how sick white racists are and still are.

Unpopular opinion, but the show was good to me and I plan on watching the next part of the series if one is made.

However, for those who cannot watch this, I understand. It was hard for me to watch When They See Us when it first came out. So I skipped it and I just finished the show a month ago now.

Now is this Black trauma pδrn, I dont agree. Our history in this country is not rainbows. We endured and this is why we need reparations.

Now can television have more light hearted shows like the 90s, yes. And there are. Some mentioned Selah and The Spades, The New Jamie Foxx Show, Self Made, She's Gotta Have It, Atlanta, Saints and Sinners, Family Time, Raising Dion (superhero show)and more. Also, web series like Dear Future Wife, Black and Sexy, Firsts (which is becoming a movie), Giants.
I see what you're saying, but tell me this, is Jewish trauma used for 'entertainment' like this? Is child xesual abuse trauma used like this?

Why is it okay to represent African and African-descended trauma like this? African people need to set a boundary here, just like Jewish people have. Share our historical trauma with respect, sensitivity, and dignity or not at all.

Rmodelboy

Mr Congeniality
Reaction score
Reactions
506,754 43,820 1,681
Alleybux
What a mess. Beautiful cinematography, fantastic acting, great music, terrible story telling. I had a really difficult time following it.

The supernatural angle was completely unnecessary. Suburbanites gone insane would have been believable enough. In fact, until the historical backstory episode, I theorized that the family was going mad because of the abuse. There would have been interesting social commentary there - the psychological manifestations of the trauma of racism.

But instead they went with spirits. Meh.

sweetfusion™

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
58,209 732 243
Alleybux
Tell me this, i

I see what you're saying, but tell me this, is Jewish trauma used for 'entertainment' like this? Is child xesual abuse trauma used like this?

Why is it okay to represent African and African-descended trauma like this? African people need to set a boundary here, just like Jewish people have. Share our historical trauma with respect, sensitivity, and dignity or not at all.
Yes.
Have you ever seen Schiedler's List (I think I misspelled it), The Boy In The Stripped Pajamas, Son of Saul and Denial (the nazi sympathizers deny the Halocaust ever happened. Based off a real trial). Also, there was a movie that depicted Hitler as a misunderstood figure when we all know he was a mass murderer. The movie was a comedy called Jojo Rabbit. Look them up.

Child xesual abuse is used in lots of movies/dramas. Ever heard of SVU: Special Victims Unit? Ellen Page (now Elliot) first movie was Hard Candy, about pedophilia. Also, Lolita, Precious, Antwone Fisher and more.

Again, I feel like the show depicts the evil of these racist white people. Looking at it from a historical perspective, real life was more gruesome. But the show depicted real things: red lining, colorism, the hatred white people felt when we moved into their neighborhoods/schools, the after effects of racism which lots of people of the Diaspora go through today. AA history in this country is brutal. Please read Medicore by Ijeoma O., she talks about these neighborhoods and other things these racists did to stop us. The thing is we still rise.

Racism is a horror period. White supremacy a sick doctrine. Maybe I would feel differently about the show if they never showed Black people fighting back. But they do.

Again, there are plenty of shows that are lighthearted that have Black casts and leads. Search for those.
Yes, our stories should be told with dignity but Im failing to see how they messed up? Because they showed how obsessed these racists are with us that they never leave us alone? The minstreal shows? They were real.
The dolls? Those too.
The medical experiments? Hey we helped to build their medical industry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
690 12
Alleybux
In my opinion, not trying to go against anyone or anything: I think people are just tired of black trauma being used for entertainment. For a lot of people, it isn’t about “not wanting to be black” or “being ashamed with being black”, I t’s just that we are dealing with racism in real life, why would we want to see it for entertainment purposes? I hate when people try to make anyone feel bad for wanting more. We’re more than trauma .. we can give more. BET tried their hand in horror with that movie with Omarion n’em “Somebody Help Me” .. it may not been as supported .. (oh, and the acting sucked) .. but that’s the angle people want as horror movies. Not black trauma!

TalkOfNuYork

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
694,029 35,106 4,760
Alleybux
Even though it was obvious that this series was ripping off the aesthetic of Us and Lovecraft Country, I still decided to give it a watch but couldn't get past the third episode. I found this series to be very disturbing, seeing that family being terrorized by those white neighbors was too much for me and I can usually stomach movies and shows that depict racism during that time period.

Shadowofyoursmile

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,515 1,527 446
Alleybux
After watching a variety of Tiktok videos discuss this series, i decide to skip. I'm not a fan of seeing black trauma used to for entertainment purposes.

ashma2815

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
The
I was lost on this one.. What made him switch?!
The “son” he found under that bush was the devil. His longing for his dead child and wife attracted him to that little boy. He was for helping the black couple until that boy started influencing his perception by making it seem like the couple was doing magic that worked against the community. He sold his soul at the end because he realized ultimately the pain of losing his kid and wife will never be replaced. Hence, his decision to haunt the land and terrorize black people who move there.

lunatixx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,349 695 499
Alleybux
The

The “son” he found under that bush was the devil. His longing for his dead child and wife attracted him to that little boy. He was for helping the black couple until that boy started influencing his perception by making it seem like the couple was doing magic that worked against the community. He sold his soul at the end because he realized ultimately the pain of losing his kid and wife will never be replaced. Hence, his decision to haunt the land and terrorize black people who move there.
I'm assuming that land was Compton decades ago? That would make sense now

Jmills

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,314 5,851 2,833
Alleybux
Just finished episode 5 and boy and I putting on the water works. Too much man. I'm gonna finish it, but I need something positive before bed.

With that said, I hope the next season of this show is more horror and not just black trauma. I want black scream (season 3 of scream TV series), black aliens from outer space, black ghosts that have nothing to do with slavery, black zombies, etc. This can be the black version of American horror story but that doesn't mean it has to sole be around black and racism. Like us, that could of easily been a white family. It has nothing to do with them being black (from what I remembered )

TalkOfNuYork

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
694,029 35,106 4,760
Alleybux
Deborah Ayorinde was on The View today and good lord that woman is beautiful...

Screen-Shot-2021-05-05-at-4-35-42-PM.png

TalkOfNuYork

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
694,029 35,106 4,760
Alleybux
I tapped out in the middle of episode 2. I'm so sick of trauma pδrn.

I have no issues with our stories being told even if the subject matter is difficult to watch but I feel like this was a series that caters to sadistic white people. I didn't even finish it because it made me very uncomfortable.

Nikkinonka

Sweet Like Willy Wonka
Reaction score
Reactions
80,504 2,951 383
Alleybux
I loved the series. I know I’m in the minority but I think it did a great job of depicting what black Americans had to go through back then and even now (AhmaudArbery comes to mind). All the Emorys wanted to do was live their life but they were terrorized before they even unpacked their first box. It showed how demonic white people are.

I read the first few pages of the thread and the questions about why Henry moved his family to Compton... why shouldn’t he? Black people then and know should have access to wealth. The scenes with the realtor explain this the contract was for generations even though it wouldn’t apply to them people they were black but they didn’t know that prior to moving. There’s wealth in property. He’s an engineer. Hazel lived in what looked like to be an apartment so she was most likely renting not owning.

The thing I found most disturbing in general was the minstrel character in blackface. White people have been and will continue to be obsessed with us. To dress up as and imitate us, yes I know it was mockingly but still it’s sick.

I love how Betty died like the animal she called the Emory’s surrounded by cows. And that Slap!! Omg I wish this was in theaters the whole room would be cheering. And to think her own dear white people were her worst enemies.

I skipped episode 9 it felt too out of place for me so I’m going to go back to watch.

whataday

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,581 304 97
Alleybux
I watched it and hated it. Ugh we are more than just TRAUMA
i hope we get to a point where we reject trauma p*rn projects by just not watching. hollywood will keep making them because they think we want to see them since the viewership is high. we show our desire for projects move beyond trauma p*rn by not watching.

dawnday

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,208 511 144
Alleybux
The dad is messed up to even bring them there after all the sh!t the mom been through

Trishtee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,472 5,948 4,094
Alleybux
Certain parts freaked me out but I still like watching it, can anyone explain the pie part ?? Why was blood coming out the dogs grave?
The most disturbing part was the white lady saying "get in the bag or cat in the bag" and throwing the baby around the room that made me sick

Livingit88

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
596,718 32,999 3,295
Alleybux
The most disturbing part was the white lady saying "get in the bag or cat in the bag" and throwing the baby around the room that made me sick

The whole thing was black torture pδrn. I don't know how a black person can actually associate their name with that sh!t.

Trishtee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,472 5,948 4,094
Alleybux
The whole thing was black torture pδrn. I don't know how a black person can actually associate their name with that sh!t.
It was abit too much to see a baby thrown around the room like that, because I know babies of slaves were killed and tortured like that for real, its too realistic and the mother being so helpless being raped, I teared up.

twistedsista

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
321,937 6,400 2,710
Alleybux
Barely watching this now and it pisses me off seeing these crazy ass white people that haven't changed an iota since the time depicted.

Overall, I feel like the effort put into making this should be used to teach these truths as part of American History in schools, but whatever it takes to show white America in it's true nature to the masses works for me.

TI1067

Devonah Blackwell, The New, Hidden Tuskegee
Reaction score
Reactions
16,101 1,103 428
Alleybux
The question is was california really like this ? Especially Compton
Another factoid: LA's notorious gangs were started b/c of the kind of behavior we see in Compton. White gangs of kids started harassing black people moving into these once all-white enclaves and black kids began their own gangs (the Crips & Bloods) as a way to protect themselves. But we never/rarely hear the backstory of that. And I've been to Compton. It is weird to see it as all-white cuz it's the complete opposite now but this is definitely a result of white flight. That's why they utilized all those terroristic tactics when one moves in b/c they know if one of us comes, eventually the neighborhood is going to become all or nearly-all black. That's been the history.

TI1067

Devonah Blackwell, The New, Hidden Tuskegee
Reaction score
Reactions
16,101 1,103 428
Alleybux
I’m on episode 3 why the hell didn’t they move to the black neighborhood???
If it was a bus away he could have just commuted to work!
I thought they moved because they had to, they would have been able to afford living in the black neighbourhood and commuting why would an educated black man make such a stupid decision
im quite annoyed about this

she looked so happy and refreshed being around black people

WAIT she didn’t tell anybody that her son was taken omg
I hate that both the wife and husband are mentally unstable and acting like nothing is happening
Yup, like Baldwin Hills or West Adams. Nice, all-black neighborhoods. West Adams at one time was called the Black Beverly Hills. A lot of early 20th century black celebs lived in that area. Now most of the homes/mansions have been turned into apartment buildings.