Quantcast

“I don’t watch the news because it is too depressing” why do you watch the news?

Do you believe it is bad/wrong to intentionally avoid news about unarmed black people getting killed

• Yes

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 89 93.7%

• Total voters

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,671 10,405 14,231
Alleybux
It definitely is sometimes! Which is why I'll turn it off. I have to be tapped in to a certain extent for work so some nights I'll skip local news but I'm pretty much always consuming news.

I wouldn't call them weak because everyone bears different levels of things. I'd say they aren't as good at compartmentalizing. It can be unhealthy but it's a useful skill
Now I can dig that.
I rather a person be deperessed by the news then to be desensitized to the news. I heard someone tell me about the things they saw on the dark web....I’m like y

RedPlum

Sing along if you know this one
Reaction score
Reactions
107,976 2,464 834
Alleybux
Now I can dig that.
I rather a person be deperessed by the news then to be desensitized to the news. I heard someone tell me about the things they saw on the dark web....I’m like y
I don't play with the dark web that's a level of illegality and foolishness I aint got no business looking at

The Throne

Black.women.are.top.tier
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
314,753 1,985 406
Alleybux
“I don’t watch the news it is too depressing”
Why do you guys watch the news? Everyone I know that watches the George Floyd trial is depressed. Watch news about unarmed people getting shot are depressed. Why do y’all do it? Do you understand that this contributes to your depression? You really don’t see every summer they show unarmed black people getting killed as propaganda to start riots?

You know why they don’t show unarmed black people getting killed in the winter? It ain’t cuz unarmed black people dont ever get killed in the winter. It is because people don’t riot in cold weather.
They riot and loot in warm weather hence the propaganda. And y’all fall for it every time.
There is allways news locally about a unarmed person being shot but not until it makes national news do you see riots.
You can read the news. You don’t have to watch it. I gone long periods without watching the news and I’m still informed.

jackieup

trying not to comment
Reaction score
Reactions
51,555 2,116 1,290
Alleybux
To be real. The media is an entertainment industry. point blank.
The 24 hour news cycle has replaced journalists with commentators and pundits.
Media moguls know the profit value of a good argument.
Mainstream media is like reality TV but with current events, not random nobodies looking for 15 minutes of fame.

I got curious about the people I see on TV and notices most of the people reporting on the news have no background in journalism.
And seeing staunch conservatives flip and go to another channel solidified the fact that these people don't believe the words coming out of their own mouths.
They're saying what their target audience wants to hear.
Their main purpose is keep people glued to the TV so they can watch ads.

Madashelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,309 1,656 385
Alleybux
Since I've been working from home since March of last year, I barely watch the news since the main two things that I watched it for, I don't have to worry about right now: weather and traffic.

TheFinalLevel

Summertime
Reaction score
Reactions
74,432 873 640
Alleybux
You don’t keep with Covid related news? How else you supposed to know the level of precaution to take if you not watching it

You can think that into existence if you keep your mind on it. You can use the law of attraction and think positive

So you don’t keep up with Covid news? Are you taking the vaccine? Do you know that there is a bad vaccine that has been recalled? Is any of this news relevant to you or do you stay away from that too?

I work in the science field and I read scientific articles that cover it. I already took the vaccine. I said what I said.

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,068 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
I would ask you who is "they" and why do "they" want riots and protests. And if you don't watch the news, but are checking Twitter, TikTok and Facebook and YouTube, places that actually are known for pushing unchecked propaganda, lies, manipulated video clips, and half-truths, then what? :unsure:

PoeticPisces

Too young for MySpace, too old for Tik Tok
Reaction score
Reactions
95,293 2,654 869
Alleybux
I have no need to watch the news. I can get everything online where I read what I want to read and ignore what I dont want to see.
I’ve been ignoring news that it’s not helpful to me. Why do I need to know about all the ills of the world, if I can’t help? It’s information overload and will just make you depressed.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,724 234 191
Alleybux
As depressing as it can be, I have to know what’s going on around me. People that are super happy go lucky and unfazed all day throughout the days are people that tune out the world and while that is good sometimes, it’s not good all the time, just like it isn’t good to always be in tune with the news. You need a break from both happiness and sadness. Feeling the emotions of what’s going on around you just let’s you know that you are aware. I could shut the tv off and all but last time I did that, I was caught off guard about Corona coming to the states. I ignored the world around me as a way to tune out, for months, and when I came to, we were heading towards our first lockdown. I didn’t even know about cerfew until 2 hours before it happened. You have kids who are driving that have no idea about police brutality because they never came up around it so they really don’t give it a second thought to be nervous while driving and will be caught off guard at such situations, whereas people that pay attention will know to be aware and alarmed. I need the balance. I know to scroll past certain things like anything that’s a sign of a video of a killing but I will stay up to date by reading. And I take my breaks as needed which are very often.

chrissywo

The Baby Mama of Levi Ackerman
Reaction score
Reactions
10,530 1,060 946
Alleybux
I always hated the news but gosh it’s especially bad in Houston

houstonians fake like they are soooo diverse and Sooo not racist and love everyone when that’s simply not true... some of the black people here are so brainwashed into that lie it’s irritating.. and that lie is pushed HARD by the news here..

(I’m not from Houston so ig that’s why I realize that)

also when I was a child I asked my grandma how come black men were always shown doing crimes on the news.. the news is really a huge white supremacist propaganda machine

Reaction score
Reactions
4,720 23 12
Alleybux
Yeah, I don’t watch the news. I also don’t watch videos of black people( or anyone for that matter) dying. I don’t listen to the audio. I don’t need to. Just knowing is traumatic enough.

Psalm

I groan back and sometimes I do so viciously
Reaction score
Reactions
283,919 18,832 4,093
Alleybux
I stopped watching it years ago for my mental health but unfortunately my mother feels the need to share all the horrible stories!

TheRichestF

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,010 164 9
Alleybux
You don’t keep with Covid related news? How else you supposed to know the level of precaution to take if you not watching it

You can think that into existence if you keep your mind on it. You can use the law of attraction and think positive

So you don’t keep up with Covid news? Are you taking the vaccine? Do you know that there is a bad vaccine that has been recalled? Is any of this news relevant to you or do you stay away from that too?
Hi @Sophia, I miss the news on TV sometimes, I do it willingly but don't always skip it on the internet ! I know it isn't good on a repetitive basis. But I do so to protect my mind and because too much negativity has an undesirable effect on my body. Anxiety is a bad bi$tch!
You're so right about LoA. *wink*
I'm an empath, so it's best for me if I don't absorb all that energy.
Re: the vaccine, I am still considering all options. So, I haven't taken it yet.
I stay masked up, practice social distancing.
That being said, I don't go out of my way to look up the news about covid. If I happen to find any, I just read then move on. I don't allow myself to speculate anymore...
We have lost so much already, and with the uncertainty about the economy, well, gotta say the real world problems just get bigger and bigger.
Eventually my goal is to stay positive and healthy. :emoji_pray::emoji_raised_hands:
What about you?