100 Greatest Black Musicians of All Time

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
image25.jpg

June is African-American Music Appreciation Month (previously known as Black Music Month). Ever since 1977, when then-President Jimmy Carter declared that each June would be recognized as such, the month has been a time to commemorate and celebrate the many contributions that African-Americans have made to music in this country. Each U.S. president since Carter has upheld the tradition and President Barack Obama, in 2009, changed the name to its current designation.
As 2015 is the first year of djrobblog.com, I thought this would be a great opportunity to recognize the most important black musicians of all time with a special countdown. Like my other lists, this one will come with the usual facts and figures. It’ll also generate mixed reactions from readers who may or may not see some of their favorites on the list. But here’s the thing, this is not a listing of my favorites either. It’s my attempt to give an objective look at the black artists who have done the most to shape American music over the past century.
Artists on this djrobblog list are ranked based on the following seven criteria:

1. Musical Influence
  2. Innovation/Invention
  3. Longevity/Endurance
  4. Record Sales/Chart Performance
  5. Historic Significance/Accomplishments
  6. Contribution to others’ success
  7. Awards/Recognition
Artists were considered eligible regardless of genre. In other words, this is not strictly a ranking of soul or R&B/hip-hop artists. If a black musician made significant contributions to jazz, blues, reggae, country, rock or any other genre, he or she was eligible.
This is not strictly a singer’s list, either. Artists who also made strides as instrumentalists (several jazz musicians fell in this category) also qualified. Likewise, several musicians who were also noted for writing or producing work for themselves or others received special consideration in the rankings. In those cases, the artist had to have significant work as a lead recording artist, with their own music being as noteworthy as the stuff they produced or wrote for others. This stipulation allowed singer/songwriter/producers like Ashford & Simpson to be included, while Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis and others more known for their production work did not qualify.
Additionally, artists who were once members of a group but also had solo success were given credit for their group’s work as well as their solo stuff, particularly if the group’s success was primarily due to the individual’s involvement. In such cases, the group is co-listed with the solo artist and neither one has its own entry on the list. However, the solo artist gets primary billing on the list if that artist is clearly the reason for where the acts jointly rank. You’ll see this in cases like Diana Ross/Supremes, Chaka Khan/Rufus, Lionel Richie/Commodores and Michael Jackson/The Jacksons.
In cases where groups clearly had success due to multiple members’ involvement, then the group is listed first, followed by the individual members. This will be reflected in groups like New Edition, N.W.A. and the Temptations, whose various members share the same ranking on the list as their groups.
An asterisk is needs for this scenario, however. The 1960s group the Impressions owe their success to two key leaders, Jerry Butler and later Curtis Mayfield. Because both men made significant names for themselves after leaving the Impressions, and because the Impressions’ success was clearly due to each man’s contributions, Butler and Mayfield are each credited for their respective group leadership roles and are afforded their own rankings on this list. Because both Butler and Mayfield have separate rankings, the Impressions as a group are not listed. A similar scenario exists for the Drifters and their two key members, Ben E. King and Clyde McPhatter.
Finally, although this is considered an “all time” ranking, this list is in actuality limited to musicians of just the past 100 years or so. It was difficult to go back before 1920 and compare those artists to the more contemporary ones. Circumstances and sounds were far too different then. In fact, it proved challenging to even compare artists that fell within the eligible 100-year window given the wide variety of genres and styles that have evolved over the past century.
Nonetheless, I’ve come up with a list that attempts to to do just that. This week, I present Part 1: Numbers 100 – 76. Over the next three weeks, I’ll provide the remaining 75 musicians and include my 3-part special feature about the black music producers and writers that helped make it all happen for these artists. And, as always, there’s a special DJRob playlist of key songs from these artists available on Spotify, which you can hear by clicking here.
So here it is, Part 1 of the djrobblog countdown of the 100 Greatest Black Musicians of All Time:

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
image.jpg
Millie Jackson on the cover of her 1977 album, Feelin’ Bitchy.

100. Millie Jackson. Why she’s on the list: She put the “B” in b!tch long before Lil’ Kim and others were even allowed to say the word. She didn’t have a lot of chart success, but Millie Jackson pushed the raunch envelope during the 1970s and ’80s with provocative albums and even more inappropriate album cover art (her Back to the sh!t album depicts her sitting on a toilet). Memorable songs: “It Hurts So Good,” “(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want To Be Right,” “If You’re Not In Love By Monday.”
In 1964, Mary Wells was the first black woman to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, which was inaugurated in August 1958.99. Mary Wells. Why she’s on the list: For a moment, she was Motown’s First Lady. She gave the legendary record label its first #1 pop hit with the Smokey Robinson-penned, “My Guy” in 1964. She unexpectedly left the label that same year at the height of her popularity, a decision that likely led to her demise in the music business. She was the first black woman to have a #1 single on Billboard’s Hot 100, and the first solo woman of any race to have three consecutive top tens. Memorable songs: “You Beat Me to the Punch,” “Two Lovers,” “My Guy.”
image14.jpg
Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Buddy Guy still performs at his own club, Buddy Guy’s Legends, in downtown Chicago each January.98. Buddy Guy. Why he’s on the list: The Chicago blues circuit owes a lot of its popularity to this Louisiana-to-Chicago transplant. One of the oldest living legends on this Greatest 100 list, he is cited by many rock and roll guitar legends as having been their influence, including such superstars as Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Memorable songs: “Hoodoo Man Blues,” “I Left My Blues in San Francisco” and “Damn Right, I’ve Got the Blues.”
The late Lou Rawls (d. 2006) nearly hit #1 in 1976 with his biggest hit, the #2 classic, “You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine.”97. Lou Rawls. Why he’s on the list: This soulful, smooth and mellow crooner with baritone voice was about as unique and recognizable as they came. South side Chicago was his home, but his biggest success came when he signed with Philadelphia International Records in 1976 and gave us classics like “You’ll Never Find” and “Lady Love.” Memorable songs: Those two, plus “Love Is A Hurtin’ Thing,” “Natural Man” and “See You When I Git There.”
The late Ben E. King (d. 4/30/15) is commemorated in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame with this tribute.96. Ben E. King. Why he’s on the list: As temporary lead singer of the ever-changing group, The Drifters, and later as a solo act, the late Ben E. King gave us classics like “There Goes My Baby,” “This Magic Moment,” “Save The Last Dance for Me,” “Stand By Me” and “Supernatural Thing.” He was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988, along with the Vocal Group Hall of Fame, for his role in the Drifters.
The late Wilson Pickett was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991. He died in 2006 at age 64.95. Wilson Pickett. Why he’s on the list: As Wikipedia puts it, Pickett was a “major player” in the development of R&B music, with over 50 songs that hit the R&B charts, many of which crossed over to pop. He recorded for two of the most soul-friendly labels of all time, Stax and Atlantic Records, and became a key reason for those companies’ rich soul music legacies. Memorable songs: “In the Midnight Hour,” “Land of 1,000 Dances,” “Don’t Knock My Love.”
The late Clyde McPhatter actually had more solo hits than his Drifters replacement, Ben E. King. McPhatter died at age 39 in 1972.94. Clyde McPhatter. Why he’s on the list: The original Drifter, McPhatter had many hits with the group and as a solo artist. He was instrumental in advancing the popularity of doo-wop and R&B during a time when it was still just beginning to crossover to pop audiences. He is the first artist ever to be inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice: first for his Drifters success and then for his solo work. Memorable songs: “Money Honey” (with the Drifters), “Treasure of Love,” “A Lover’s Question.”
Toni Braxton is most recently known for her popular reality TV series with her sisters, but she accomplished two #1 pop singles and several more top-tens in the 1990s.93. Toni Braxton. Why she’s on the list: She’s one of the biggest selling artists of the 1990s, having sold 40 million albums. Her “Un-break My Heart” is one of the ten biggest selling singles of all time by a female, with world-wide sales of 10 million copies. Having performed at the Super Bowl (SB XXXIV in 2000), and with a Las Vegas residency under her belt, there’s not much this superstar hasn’t accomplished. Memorable songs: “Breathe Again,” “You Mean The World To Me,” “You’re Makin’ Me High” and “He Wasn’t Man Enough.”
Teddy Pendergrass gained fame with Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes and then as a solo artist in the 1970s and ’80s. He died in 2010.92. Teddy Pendergrass/Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes. Why he/they are on the list: Teddy Pendergrass was the reason for Harold Melvin’s success, which manifested itself when Teddy took over lead vocals for the group in 1972 with their first major hit, “If You Don’t Know Me By Now.” When Teddy left the group in 1976, his solo career took off. He became the first major xes symbol of R&B with classics like “Close The Door,” “Turn Off the Lights” and “Love T.K.O.” Other memorable songs: “Wake Up Everybody” and “Bad Luck ” (both with Harold Melvin/Blue Notes), and “The Whole Town’s Laughing At Me.”

The Ohio Players hailed from Dayton. They are in the Official R&B Music Hall of Fame in Cleveland.91. Ohio Players. Why they’re on the list: They’re one of the original figures in funk-oriented R&B music. Their brand of funk was sprinkled on both ballads and uptempo classics alike, and their provocative album covers (usually featuring scantily clad women with seductive poses with suggestive props) were legendary. They were the first “funk” group to hit #1 on the pop chart and they did it twice: first with “Fire” in 1975, then with “Love Rollercoaster” the following year. Memorable hits: “Skin Tight,” “Sweet Sticky Thing,” “Who’d She Coo” and the two #1 singles mentioned above.

CarmenJonesGal

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
367,554 10,220 2,157
Alleybux
image.jpg
Millie Jackson on the cover of her 1977 album, Feelin’ Bitchy.

100. Millie Jackson. Why she’s on the list: She put the “B” in b!tch long before Lil’ Kim and others were even allowed to say the word. She didn’t have a lot of chart success, but Millie Jackson pushed the raunch envelope during the 1970s and ’80s with provocative albums and even more inappropriate album cover art (her Back to the sh!t album depicts her sitting on a toilet). Memorable songs: “It Hurts So Good,” “(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want To Be Right,” “If You’re Not In Love By Monday.”
In 1964, Mary Wells was the first black woman to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, which was inaugurated in August 1958.99. Mary Wells. Why she’s on the list: For a moment, she was Motown’s First Lady. She gave the legendary record label its first #1 pop hit with the Smokey Robinson-penned, “My Guy” in 1964. She unexpectedly left the label that same year at the height of her popularity, a decision that likely led to her demise in the music business. She was the first black woman to have a #1 single on Billboard’s Hot 100, and the first solo woman of any race to have three consecutive top tens. Memorable songs: “You Beat Me to the Punch,” “Two Lovers,” “My Guy.”
image14.jpg
Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Buddy Guy still performs at his own club, Buddy Guy’s Legends, in downtown Chicago each January.98. Buddy Guy. Why he’s on the list: The Chicago blues circuit owes a lot of its popularity to this Louisiana-to-Chicago transplant. One of the oldest living legends on this Greatest 100 list, he is cited by many rock and roll guitar legends as having been their influence, including such superstars as Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Memorable songs: “Hoodoo Man Blues,” “I Left My Blues in San Francisco” and “Damn Right, I’ve Got the Blues.”
The late Lou Rawls (d. 2006) nearly hit #1 in 1976 with his biggest hit, the #2 classic, “You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine.”97. Lou Rawls. Why he’s on the list: This soulful, smooth and mellow crooner with baritone voice was about as unique and recognizable as they came. South side Chicago was his home, but his biggest success came when he signed with Philadelphia International Records in 1976 and gave us classics like “You’ll Never Find” and “Lady Love.” Memorable songs: Those two, plus “Love Is A Hurtin’ Thing,” “Natural Man” and “See You When I Git There.”
The late Ben E. King (d. 4/30/15) is commemorated in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame with this tribute.96. Ben E. King. Why he’s on the list: As temporary lead singer of the ever-changing group, The Drifters, and later as a solo act, the late Ben E. King gave us classics like “There Goes My Baby,” “This Magic Moment,” “Save The Last Dance for Me,” “Stand By Me” and “Supernatural Thing.” He was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988, along with the Vocal Group Hall of Fame, for his role in the Drifters.
The late Wilson Pickett was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991. He died in 2006 at age 64.95. Wilson Pickett. Why he’s on the list: As Wikipedia puts it, Pickett was a “major player” in the development of R&B music, with over 50 songs that hit the R&B charts, many of which crossed over to pop. He recorded for two of the most soul-friendly labels of all time, Stax and Atlantic Records, and became a key reason for those companies’ rich soul music legacies. Memorable songs: “In the Midnight Hour,” “Land of 1,000 Dances,” “Don’t Knock My Love.”
The late Clyde McPhatter actually had more solo hits than his Drifters replacement, Ben E. King. McPhatter died at age 39 in 1972.94. Clyde McPhatter. Why he’s on the list: The original Drifter, McPhatter had many hits with the group and as a solo artist. He was instrumental in advancing the popularity of doo-wop and R&B during a time when it was still just beginning to crossover to pop audiences. He is the first artist ever to be inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice: first for his Drifters success and then for his solo work. Memorable songs: “Money Honey” (with the Drifters), “Treasure of Love,” “A Lover’s Question.”
Toni Braxton is most recently known for her popular reality TV series with her sisters, but she accomplished two #1 pop singles and several more top-tens in the 1990s.93. Toni Braxton. Why she’s on the list: She’s one of the biggest selling artists of the 1990s, having sold 40 million albums. Her “Un-break My Heart” is one of the ten biggest selling singles of all time by a female, with world-wide sales of 10 million copies. Having performed at the Super Bowl (SB XXXIV in 2000), and with a Las Vegas residency under her belt, there’s not much this superstar hasn’t accomplished. Memorable songs: “Breathe Again,” “You Mean The World To Me,” “You’re Makin’ Me High” and “He Wasn’t Man Enough.”
Teddy Pendergrass gained fame with Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes and then as a solo artist in the 1970s and ’80s. He died in 2010.92. Teddy Pendergrass/Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes. Why he/they are on the list: Teddy Pendergrass was the reason for Harold Melvin’s success, which manifested itself when Teddy took over lead vocals for the group in 1972 with their first major hit, “If You Don’t Know Me By Now.” When Teddy left the group in 1976, his solo career took off. He became the first major xes symbol of R&B with classics like “Close The Door,” “Turn Off the Lights” and “Love T.K.O.” Other memorable songs: “Wake Up Everybody” and “Bad Luck ” (both with Harold Melvin/Blue Notes), and “The Whole Town’s Laughing At Me.”

The Ohio Players hailed from Dayton. They are in the Official R&B Music Hall of Fame in Cleveland.91. Ohio Players. Why they’re on the list: They’re one of the original figures in funk-oriented R&B music. Their brand of funk was sprinkled on both ballads and uptempo classics alike, and their provocative album covers (usually featuring scantily clad women with seductive poses with suggestive props) were legendary. They were the first “funk” group to hit #1 on the pop chart and they did it twice: first with “Fire” in 1975, then with “Love Rollercoaster” the following year. Memorable hits: “Skin Tight,” “Sweet Sticky Thing,” “Who’d She Coo” and the two #1 singles mentioned above.

Love me some Millie- I think I'm going to morph into that woman when I'm older, LOL

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
image9.jpg
Public Enemy was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2014, becoming only the fourth rap act to be given the honor.

90. Public Enemy. Why they’re on the list: They were the pioneers of rap with a conscience. Over two decades after the civil rights movement ended, Chuck D. and company took the silly out of rap and reminded blacks of our relative standing in America at a time we (and the rest of America) weren’t ready to hear it during the late 1980s and early 1990s. Public Enemy had a pulse on young black America with classics like “Fight The Power” and “Can’t Truss It.” Other memorable songs include: “Bring the Noise,” “911 is a Joke” and “Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos.”
The late Isaac Hayes (d. 2008) was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. More recently, he voiced the character Chef on the animated TV series, South Park.89. Isaac Hayes. Why he’s on the list: Primarily known for his music score for the 1970s Blaxploitation film, Shaft, R&R Hall of Famer Isaac Hayes was also one of the creative forces behind the Memphis-based Stax Records label. He served as an in-house writer, session musician and producer for the label. He wrote “Soul Man” by Sam & Dave, along with several other Stax classics. Memorable songs: “I Stand Accused,” “Walk On By,” “Theme from Shaft” and “Don’t Let Go.”
Rapper LL Cool J., born James Todd Smith, is not the most commercially successful rapper, but he is the most enduring entertainer to have emerged from hip-hop.88. LL Cool J. Why he’s on the list: No other solo rapper has managed to stay relevant for as long as L.L. Cool J. And his is a career that now spans 30 years, dating back to “I Can’t Live Without My Radio.” First with music, then with acting, and now with an annual hosting gig at the music industry’s biggest event, the Grammys, LL Cool J has charted a success path that few expected when his “Radio” was blaring on turntables in 1985. Memorable songs: “I Need Love,” “I’m Bad,” “Goin’ Back To Cali,” “Rock The Bells” and “Mama Said Knock You Out.”
Without the aid of Autotunes or any other type of vocoder system, Bill Withers still has the record for holding the longest note in a top-40 song, with “Lovely Day.”87. Bill Withers. Why he’s on the list: Withers is probably one of the most under-appreciated musicians on this chart. He isn’t the most commercially successful artist (then again, neither are 98 of the other acts on this list), however, his music is timeless and he finally received his due when he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame just this year. Memorable songs: “Lean On Me,” “Use Me,” “Ain’t No Sunshine,” “Lovely Day” and “Just the Two of Us” (with Grover Washington, Jr.).
image12.jpg
Rock and Roll Hall of Famers Run-DMC joined that club in 2009, becoming the 2nd rap group to be inducted (after Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five).86. Run-DMC. Why they’re on the list: Without their innovative rock-and-rap approach to hip-hop in the early 1980s, rap music might not be as successful (and accessible to mainstream America) as it has been for the past nearly-30 years. Their hard-edged, guitar-driven “Rock Box” was unheard of when it was released in 1984 and they never looked back. Joining forces with rock legends and fellow rock hall of famers, Aerosmith, Run-DMC broke down racial barriers with their 1986 classic, “Walk This Way.” Other memorable songs: “It’s Like That,” “Jam Master Jay,” “My Adidas” and “It’s Tricky.”
The Spinners graced the cover of Cashbox magazine in 1975 during the height of their success. The group reached the R&B top ten with hits by four different lead-singers.85. Spinners. Why they’re on the list: This group, like the Drifters before them, managed to succeed with several different lead singers, most notably the late Bobby Smith and Philippe Wynne with whom they scored their biggest hits in the 1970s. Memorable songs include (along with their leads in parentheses): “It’s A Shame” (G. C. Cameron); “I’ll Be Around,” “Could It Be I’m Falling In Love,” “Games People Play” (Bobby Smith); “Mighty Love,” “Sadie” and “Rubberband Man” (Philippé Wynne); “Workin’ My Way Back To You”/”Forgive Me Girl” and “Cupid”/”I’ve Loved You For a Long Time”(Jonathan Edwards).
Pastor Shirley Caesar is one of the most highly regarded American gospel singers in history.84. Shirley Caesar. Why she’s on the list: She’s the “First Lady of Gospel Music” with eleven Grammys, 13 Stellar Awards and 18 Dove Awards to her credit. She’s one of the few gospel artists to have sold records in the millions and she’s influenced many others, including Mavis Staples, Candi Staton (remember her?). She’s in the Gospel Music Hall of Fame with over 40 albums under her belt. Memorable songs: “No Charge,” “Blessed Assurance,” “He’s Working It Out For You” and “Hold My Mule.”

83. Alicia Keys. Why she’s on the list: Keys is a noted singer, songwriter, producer, pianist and philanthropist who has won many awards in her 14 years of popularity. When she debuted in 2001, she was considered the first new artist of the millennium with the ability to change music, which she did by incorporating classical piano into her unique blend of R&B, soul, hip-hop and even jazz. Memorable songs: “Fallin’,” “You Don’t Know My Name,” “Diary,” “No One,” “Karma” and “Empire State of Mind.”
image10.jpg
Kool & the Gang had two lives, first in the mid-1970s with several classic funk hits, then when J.T. Taylor joined the group in 1979.82. Kool & the Gang. Why they’re on the list: Not many music acts can have a successful career, fall off the radar, then reinvent themselves later and have even more success the second time around. That’s what happened with Kool & the Gang when former lead singer, J. T. Taylor joined the group in the late 1970s and began a continuous string of nine years worth of pop and R&B hits. Memorable songs: “Jungle Boogie,” “Hollywood Swinging,” “Funky Stuff,” “Ladies’ Night,” “Celebration,” “Take My Heart,” “Get Down On It,” “Misled,” and “Cherish.”
Rihanna has topped the American pop singles charts more than any other artist in the past 10 years (13 times since 2006).81. Rihanna. Why she’s on the list: For the past ten years, she’s been a constant force in the pop and R&B music fields, having topped the Billboard Hot 100 thirteen times (ten of those as the lead artist). She’s also sold over 100 million records worldwide in those ten years, placing her among the biggest-selling artists of all time. (Spoiler alert, she’s the only artist in the entire Top 100 who had never charted before 2005.) Memorable songs: “SOS,” “Umbrella,” “Live Your Life,” “What’s My Name,” “Only Girl (in the World)” and “We Found Love.”

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,821 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
The number one criterion for being a musician should be the ability to play a musical instrument. Other than that, a person is merely a singer or entertainer.

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
The Notorious B.I.G. (real name Christopher Wallace) died in 1997. He would have been 43 years old this year.

80. The Notorious B.I.G. Why he’s on the list: Dubbed the greatest story-teller in hip-hop during the 1990s, Biggie Smalls was one of the most respected street poets of all time. His murder in 1997 was like a punch to the gut of the hip-hop community and left a void that has yet to be filled (in my opinion). His Life After Death album proved prophetic when it generated two #1 pop singles after his death, making him the first artist (rap or otherwise) to accomplish that. Memorable songs: “Juicy,” “Big Poppa,” “Get Money,” “One More Chance/Stay With Me,” “Hypnotize,” “I Got A Story To Tell” and “Mo Money, Mo Problems.”
TLC recorded four #1 pop singles and sold more records between 1992 and 2001 than any other American female group in history.79. TLC. Why they’re on the list: In 1992, this trio of eclectic personalities succeeded out of the box with their in-your-face top-ten pop/R&B debut crossover “Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg” (not a remake of the Motown classic). In the next seven years, they managed to become the biggest-selling American female group in music history (65 million records sold). Unfortunately, the tragic death of Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes in 2002 ended their good fortunes. Memorable songs: “What About Your Friends,” “Baby, Baby, Baby,” “Hat 2 Da Back,” “Creep,” “Waterfalls,” and “No Scrubs.”
The power of N.W.A. and gangsta rap was realized in 1991 when Billboard magazine employed new technology to record actual album sales based on barcode information, instead of the outdated method of store managers providing lists to Billboard.78. N.W.A. (Ice Cube/Dr. Dré/Eazy E). Why they’re on the list: They changed the rap game. What had been for the most part a safe, sometimes silly and occasionally informative music genre suddenly became dangerous with the success of N.W.A.’s “gangsta rap” in the late 1980s/early ’90s. When their Efil4zaggin’ (spelled backwards, !!!!!z4life) reached #1 on the Billboard 200 in 1991, rap and popular music was pretty much never the same. Key members Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Eazy E were no slouches on the solo front as well. Memorable songs: “Straight Outta Compton,” “fµck Tha Police” and “Appetite For Destruction” (all by N.W.A.); “Nuthin’ But A ‘G’ Thang,” “The Next Episode” (both by Dr. Dre); “It Was a Good Day” and “Check Yo Self” (Ice Cube); “Eazy-Duz-It” (Eazy E).
Roberta Flack often recorded duets with the late Donny Hathaway, the last of which was the upbeat single “You Are My Heaven” in 1979.77. Roberta Flack. Why she’s on the list: Before there was Alicia Keys and Lauryn Hill, there was Roberta Flack. In the 1970s, she could do no wrong, releasing sonic classic after classic. “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” (1972) and “Killing Me Softly With His Song” (1973) both won Record and Song of the Year Grammys and reached #1 on the Billboard pop charts, making her the first African-American solo female singer to have two solo #1 pop hits (she later added to that by becoming the first to have a third with “Feel Like Making Love”). Memorable songs: The two mentioned above, plus “Feel Like Makin’ Love,” “Where Is The Love,” “The Closer I Get To You,” and “Back Together Again.”
Boyz II Men were the last true superstars of the Motown label, having achieved five #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 during the 1990s.76. Boyz II Men. Why they’re on the list: This Motown quartet had the magic touch during the 1990s, with five #1 songs that spent a total of 50 weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Only three other recording acts have amassed more weeks at #1 , Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Mariah Carey…and they all did it with far more songs. The Boyz’ collaboration with Mariah, “One Sweet Day,” still holds the Hot 100 chart record for most weeks at Number One (16). Memorable hits: “Motownphilly,” “End of the Road,” “Water Runs Dry,” “Uhh Ahh,” “I’ll Make Love to You,” “On Bended Knee” and “A Song For Mama.”
So those are the first 25 artists on this special ranking of the 100 Greatest Black Artists of All Time. Didn’t see an artist you expected to see? They may be higher…or they may not have made the cut. There’s only one way to find out.

Last week, to kick off my celebration of African-American Music Appreciation Month, I presented the first part of a special countdown of the 100 Greatest Black Musicians of All Time with positions 100 through 76. This week in Part 2, I have positions 75 – 51. If you didn’t see your favorite artist on last week’s list, perhaps you’ll see them this week, or during the next two weeks as I complete the countdown.
This week’s list includes artists from a variety of music genres that black musicians have excelled in over the past 50-plus years. There are soul, jazz, blues, country, rap, disco, pop, gospel and hip-hop artists in this part of the rankings. There’s even an artist who laid claim to creating “punk funk.” There are artists who got their start in the 1930s, and others who charted as recently as this year. Thirteen of these artists (out of 25) have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (in all 52 of the artists on the overall list of 100 have accomplished this).
Many of the artists on the 100 Black Musicians list have been self-contained, either writing or producing (or doing both) for their own hits – as well as those of other artists. Examples that come to mind are Prince, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, and Marvin Gaye. Those artists’ respective rankings on the Top 100 certainly reflect the multiple singing/songwriting, instrumentalist and production talents they possessed (as you’ll find out in the next couple weeks).
However, some popular artists relied on the writing and production talents of others to achieve their success. Singers like Whitney Houston and Diana Ross, for example, were never credited with writing or producing any of their own songs, but they’ve certainly benefitted from the likes of Narada Michael Walden, L.A. Reid & Babyface, Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers, and Holland-Dozier-Holland whose creations had immeasurable impact on the singers’ careers.
In the next week or so (in between Parts 3 and 4 of the Top 100 countdown), I’ll have a special intermittent countdown of the most important black music writer/producers of the past 55 years. You’ll see where names like Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Teddy Riley, Quincy Jones, Sean “Puffy” Combs, Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson, and many others rank.
In the meantime, let’s pickup the countdown of the 100 Greatest Black Musicians of All Time with Number 75. For last week’s rankings of artists from No. 100 – 76, click here).
And to hear the great music of the artists in this part of the countdown, click here to access my special playlist on Spotify.

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux

Booker T. Jones was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992 and received a Grammy Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2007.

75. Booker T. Jones (of Booker T. & the MGs). Why he’s on the list: As frontman of the 1960s Memphis soul band, Booker T. & the M.G.s, made a name for himself with the legendary Stax record label as a lead artist and as a session musician. He is mostly known for his signature organ playing, which distinguished his music from many of the other soul artists charting at the time. Memorable hits include: “Green Onions,” “Time is Tight” and “Hang ‘Em High.”
The late Nina Simone (d. 2003) was a legendary singer and civil rights activist. Her legend was less rooted in chart success than it was in her outspokenness about race issues during the troubling 1960s.74. Nina Simone. Why she’s on the list: It’s not because of her chart success. In that category, she’s probably one of the least accomplished artists among the Top 100, having accomplished only one top 40 pop hit and two top ten R&B singles. However, Nina’s legend has grown since her death in 2003 and she is highly regarded as one of the pioneers of socially conscious music. She was at once a singer, songwriter, pianist and civil rights activist who was instrumental during the peak of the movement in the mid-1960s. Memorable songs: “I Loves You, Porgy,” “Mississippi Goddamn” and “To Be Young, Gifted and Black.”
image29.jpg
The Staple Singers are pictured here with Soul Train host, the late Don Cornelius, during their heyday in the 1970s.73. The Staple Singers. Why they’re on the list: This family act from Chicago blended gospel, soul and pop to come up with a sound that was uniquely theirs. They were one of five family acts in the 1970s to have at least two #1 pop singles (the others were the Jackson 5, Sly & the Family Stone, the Carpenters and the Bee Gees). They were inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999. Memorable songs include: “I’ll Take You There,” “Respect Yourself,” “If You’re Ready (Come Go With Me)” and “Let’s Do It Again.”
Grandmaster Flash (and sometimes Melle Mel), with the Furious Five, were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007 – becoming the first rap act ever to do so.72. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five. Why they’re on the list: This legendary hip-hop group from South Bronx was one of the first to put rap music on wax when they recorded for Sugar Hill Records in the early 1980s. They followed acts like the Sugar Hill Gang and Sequence on the same label, but their music was more iconic. “The Message” is cited as one of the most important rap songs in the genre’s history. Other memorable songs: “Freedom,” “Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel,” “Message II – Survival” and “White Lines.”
Motown legend, the late Rick James, died in 2004 of cardiac failure. He was only 56 years old.71. Rick James. Why he’s on the list: The late Rick James was the King of “Punk Funk,” a sub-genre of music that combined the elements of heavy rock and soul/R&B music. He scored big as a solo artist and as an in-house producer for Motown Records from the late 1970s through early 1980s. He was largely responsible for the success of Motown acts like Teena Marie and the Mary Jane Girls, as well as for an early-’80s comeback effort by the legendary Temptations. Memorable songs: “You and I,” “Mary Jane,” “Bustin’ Out,” “Give It To Me Baby,” “Super Freak,” “Fire and Desire,” and “Cold Blooded.”
Country legend Charley Pride was featured in a Jet Magazine cover story in 1971.70. Charley Pride. Why he’s on the list: Before Lionel Richie and Darius Rucker, there was Charley Pride. He was one of the most successful country music artists from the 1960s – 1980s. This may not seem like a big deal now, but for a black man to accomplish the things Pride did during his heyday was incredible. In 1967, he became the first black performer to appear at the Grand Ole Opry in 26 years. He had 29 singles that topped the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart from 1969 – 1983. It would be nearly 25 years before another black solo artist (Rucker) had a #1 country hit. Memorable songs: “Kiss an Angel Good Mornin’,” “All I Have to Offer You (Is Me)” and “(I’m So) Afraid of Losing You Again.”
Gap Band IV (with the crossover singles “Early in the Morning” and “You Dropped a Bomb on Me”) was the Gap Band’s biggest LP.69. Gap Band/Charlie Wilson. Why they’re on the list: This R&B/funk trio of brothers (Charlie, Ronnie and Robert Wilson from Tulsa Oklahoma) gained prominence during the late 1970s/early 1980s. Unfortunately for them, the early 1980s was probably the worst time in American music history for R&B artists to gain pop radio play as it came on the heels of the backlash against disco and anything that sounded remotely like it by black acts. So the Gap Band’s success was primarily limited to the R&B charts (except for two moderately successful crossover singles from their Gap Band IV album in 1982). Charlie’s reemergence as a solo artist nearly a quarter century after the group’s first success has essentially cemented the Gap Band/Charlie Wilson’s place on this list. Memorable hits: “I Don’t Believe You Wanna Get Up & Dance (Oops Upside Your Head),” “Burn Rubber,” “Early In The Morning,” “You Dropped a Bomb on Me,” “Outstanding” and “Party Train” (all Gap Band); “There Goes My Baby” (Charlie Wilson).
Jerry Butler is a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, but he’s also ensconced in Chicago politics, having served on the Cook County Board of Commissioners since the 1990s.68. Jerry Butler. Why he’s on the list: The “Ice Man” is now a Chicago politician, but his first claim to fame was as the original lead singer of the legendary R&B vocal group The Impressions and then as a solo artist. His Impressions work was short-lived, but the group was ultimately inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, by virtue of which Butler was also inducted. He continued to work with other legends during his solo career, including fellow Impression Curtis Mayfield and legendary writers/producers Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff. His distinctively soulful voice practically ensures that his musical legacy will outlive his political one. Memorable songs: “For Your Precious Love” (with the Impressions); “He Will Break Your Heart,” “Hey Western Union Man,” “Only the Strong Survive” and “Ain’t Understanding Mellow” (with Brenda Lee Eager).
image31.jpg
All six members of New Edition have topped the R&B chart and reached the top five of the pop chart with their various projects away from the group, becoming the only group of its size to ever carry out such a feat.67. New Edition (Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvant, Johnny Gill, Bell Biv Devoe). Why they’re on the list: This “boy band” from the early-to-mid 1980s was the first of its kind to be successful since the Jackson 5 a decade earlier. More importantly, this was perhaps the only group besides the Beatles to have all of its members record #1 singles – albeit on the R&B charts – on their own away from the group. Memorable songs: “Candy Girl,” “Cool It Now,” “Mr. Telephone Man,” “If It Isn’t Love” and “Can You Stand the Rain.” Memorable songs from each member (all #1 singles): “Don’t Be Cruel” and “Every Little Step” (Bobby Brown); “Rub You The Right Way” and “My, My, My” (Johnny Gill); “Poison” (Bell Biv Devoe); “Sensitivity (Ralph Tresvant).
Muddy Waters has influenced such rock legends as the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.66. Muddy Waters. Why he’s on the list: Muddy Waters is one of several blues legends on this chart. He is in both the Blues Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Having blurred the lines between blues and folk music, he won six Grammy awards in the category of “Best Ethnic or Traditional Folk” between 1972 and 1980. He is considered by many to be the most important post-World War II blues artist and definitely one of the most influential. Memorable songs: “Hoochie Coochie Man,” “Mannish Boy” and “Got My Mojo Working.”

OTW_

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,863 1,146 1,119
Alleybux
The number one criterion for being a musician should be the ability to play a musical instrument. Other than that, a person is merely a singer or entertainer.

That's called an instrumentalist.

Someone who writes songs but doesn't play instruments is very much a musician without playing an instrument.

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
The legendary Lena Horne was as famous for her stance on civil rights as she was for her music.

65. Lena Horne. Why she’s on the list: This legendary stage and film actress was also a noted singer. For proof, look no further than her discography, which spanned 72 years (all while she was alive) from 1934 (Dance with Your Gods) to 2006 (Seasons of a Life). Aside from her lengthy music repertoire, she was also a civil rights activist – an ironic role for a woman who had long before been accepted by mainstream white America in Hollywood. She’s won Grammys and Tonys, an NAACP Image Award (for Outstanding Jazz Artist), and a whole host of other honors. Memorable songs: “Stormy Weather,” “It’s Love,” “The Lady is a Tramp” and “Summertime” (from “Porgy and Bess”).
In 2010, Billboard Magazine named Mary J. Blige the most successful female on the R&B/Hip-Hop charts for the previous 25 years. Her “Be Without You” still holds the record for most weeks (15) at #1 on that chart.64. Mary J. Blige. Why she’s on the list: Mary J. Blige was dubbed the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul upon the release of her début album 23 years ago. That’s a risky claim and a hefty title to live up to after one’s first album, but she’s done exactly that. She is largely responsible for the merging of R&B and hip-hop music by having regularly collaborated with hip-hop artists at a time when rap was still coming into prominence. This set the stage for many R&B singers to follow. (The trend caused Billboard Magazine to rename its R&B charts as “R&B/Hip-Hop” – a name that has stuck for nearly 15 years.) Blige, in her early days, also eschewed the pop-friendly image that some of the biggest female stars of the day embraced (Janet, Madonna, Mariah and Whitney), and she managed to succeed on her own terms. Memorable songs: “Real Love,” “Love No Limit,” “Be Happy,” “My Life,” “Not Gon’ Cry,” “Family Affair,” “Be Without You” and “Just Fine.”
Usher first reached the R&B top ten in 1995 with “Think of You” when he was 16. His most recent R&B top ten hit was this year (“I Don’t Mind” feat. Juicy J.)63. Usher. Why he’s on the list: Usher Raymond, IV has knocked out hits for over two decades, dating back to his first top-ten R&B single, “Think Of You” from 1994. He’s had 13 #1 R&B singles and nine #1 Hot 100 (pop) singles since then. He’s also sold nearly 70 million records worldwide. During his peak year of popularity, 2004, Usher’s Confessions album sold over 10 million copies in America alone, and generated four #1 pop singles, which racked up a record-setting 28 combined weeks at #1 , the most by any artist during a single calendar year. Memorable songs: “You Make Me Wanna…,” “U Don’t Have to Call,” “Yeah!,” “Caught Up,” “Hey Daddy (Daddy’s Home)” and “OMG.”
With his signature fedora, Thelonious Monk graced the cover of Time Magazine in 1964.62. Thelonious Monk. Why he’s on the list: According to Wikipedia, legendary jazz pianist Monk is the second-most recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington. So prestigious is Monk that he’s one of only five jazz artists to ever be featured on the cover of Time Magazine. Long considered a “giant of jazz,” Monk recorded with the likes of other jazz legends, notably Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Dizzy Gillespie. His professional recordings spanned from 1947 to 1971 and reflect his unique improvisational style and keen ear for melody. Memorable songs: “‘Round Midnight,” “Monk’s Dream,” “Body and Soul” and “Ruby, My Dear.”
Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Etta James died in 2012 at the age of 73.61. Etta James. Why she’s on the list: Several blues artists are on this list, but Etta James is probably the one most known for having bridged the gap between R&B and rock and roll. Here’s a sampling of the accolades given her during her lifetime: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1993), Blues Hall of Fame (2001), Grammy Hall of Fame (twice), and #22 on Rolling Stone Magazine’s list of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time. She’s most known for her signature song, “At Last,” but several other tunes line her catalog. Memorable songs: “All I Could Do Was Cry,” “My Dearest Darling,” “I Just Want to Make Love to You,” “At Last,” “Something’s Got a Hold on Me” and “Tell Mama.”
Sly Stone’s family act (with a few friends included) is shown here in happier times before the group’s break-up in 1973.60. Sly & the Family Stone. Why they’re on the list: Led by Sylvester “Sly” Stone, this family act was instrumental in combining rock, soul, funk and psychedelic music forms, and they had major success doing it. Key group member, Larry Graham, is said to have invented the “slapping technique” of bass guitar playing, which later characterized their funkier sound. They were groundbreaking in terms of their make-up as well, consisting of a mixed-race and mixed-gender line-up that became one of the first to achieve their level of success with such a membership. Memorable songs: “Dance to the Music,” “Everyday People,” “Hot Fun in the Summertime,” “Stand,” “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin),” “Everybody Is a Star,” “Family Affair,” “Runnin’ Away” and “If You Want Me to Stay.”
I’ve always felt the name of this group was, well, of questionable taste to say the least, but it didn’t deter them from breaking barriers in music during the 1930s and ’40s.59. The Ink Spots. Why they’re on the list: This quartet of singers originally formed in Indianapolis and was very instrumental in breaking down racial barriers in America during the 1930s and ’40s, at least in the world of entertainment. In 1936, they were the first African-Americans to appear on TV. During the 1940s, they placed over 30 hits on the US pop charts, including 18 top tens and five #1 songs. They’re 1939 single, “If I Didn’t Care,” is reportedly the 7th-best-selling single of all time, having sold 19 millions copies. In 1989, they were inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Memorable songs: “If I Didn’t Care,” “We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me),” “Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall,” “To Each His Own” and “The Gypsy.”
Patti LaBelle is shown here with one of the many looks she’s embraced over the decades.58. Patti LaBelle. Why she’s on the list: She’s the mother of reinvention, having had successful careers in the 1960s, ’70s, ’80s and ’90s with completely different musical approaches in each decade. First as a member of Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles, she recorded three top 40/R&B crossover hits, most notably, “I Sold My Heart to the Junkman” in 1962. Then, after a name change and adopting space-alien personas (at least for their stage shows), the group LaBelle hit #1 pop with the iconic “Lady Marmalade” in 1975. Patti then went solo and had major R&B chart success with #1 songs like “If Only You Knew” and “On My Own” (with Michael McDonald), which also became her second #1 pop hit after “Marmalade.” Then she tried her hand at new jack swing in the ’90s with her top-ten R&B hit, “The Right Kinda Lover” in 1994. And this is not to even mention how legendary her live concert performances have been. Memorable songs: “Lady Marmalade,” “What Can I Do For You,” “You Are My Friend,” “If Only You Knew,” “Love, Need & Want You,” “New Attitude,” “On My Own” and “Right Kinda Lover.”
Ruth Brown was the “Queen of R&B” before Aretha was the “Queen of Soul.” Ruth and Aretha both recorded for Atlantic Records and both are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.57. Ruth Brown. Why she’s on the list: Before there was Aretha Franklin, there was Ruth Brown. Many artists on this list had the good fortune of recording for the legendary Atlantic Records label, but the label was able to sign many of them because of the success of artists like Brown, whose contributions during the 1950s made Atlantic “the house that Ruth built.” She became known as the “queen of R&B” before other acts adopted similar royal nicknames for various related genres in later decades. In the short time she charted between 1949 and 1959, she recorded 21 top-ten R&B hits, with five of them reaching #1 . Memorable songs: “Teardrops from My Eyes,” “(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean,” “Mambo Baby,” “Lucky Lips” and “This Little Girl’s Gone Rockin’.”
At 87 years old, Fats Domino is one of the oldest-living artists on this 100 Greatest List.56. Fats Domino. Why he’s on the list: Fats is another rock and roll pioneer – one of many on this list – who also succeeded in R&B, piano blues, country, pop and jazz. He had 37 top-40 hits in America, mostly during the 1950s as the rock and roll genre was building in popularity and as blacks were typically prevented from achieving the kind of success Fats did. His songs were recorded by rock music legends John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Domino has even been credited with influencing ska music (a cousin of the reggae genre) with the way his rhythms accentuated the offbeat in the song “Be My Guest.” Other memorable songs: “The Fat Man,” “Ain’t That A Shame,” “Blueberry Hill” and “I’m Walkin’.”

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
The album Back Stabbers featured the O’Jays’ two biggest hits, the title track and “Love Train,” both million-selling #1 R&B singles.

55. O’Jays. Why they’re on the list: They were largely responsible for ushering in Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff’s Philly Soul sound, with several million-selling singles and albums during the 1970s. Constant O’Jays members and group founders Eddie Levert and Walter Williams have soldiered on for 57 years while the remaining membership has varied over that time. Their unique vocal styles are instantly recognizable as both Levert and Williams’ have contributed lead roles to their many hits. The O’Jays were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005. Memorable songs: “Back Stabbers,” “Love Train,” “For the Love of Money,” “I Love Music,” “Darlin’ Darlin’ Baby (Sweet Tender Love),” “Livin’ for the Weekend” and “Use Ta Be My Girl.”
Sarah Vaughan often mixed business and marriage, but that didn’t stop her from becoming one of the most highly regarded jazz vocalists of all time.54. Sarah Vaughan. Why she’s on the list: It has been said that, with vocal training, Sarah Vaughan could have gone as far as Leontyne Price (who just missed this list by the way) did in the opera field. Not that it would have been necessary, as Vaughan was a legend in her own right…in the jazz field. She’s considered by music critics to have one of the greatest natural voices ever. Here’s a quote from Wikipedia: “Vaughan had a large vocal range of soprano through a female baritone, exceptional body, volume, a variety of vocal textures, and superb and highly personal vocal control.” (The quote is excerpted from a review by Martin Williams of The Jazz Tradition, Nov. 11, 1992.). Memorable songs: “Mean to Me,” “Body and Soul,” “Black Coffee,” “My Funny Valentine” and “Broken Hearted Melody.”
Otis Redding tragically died in a plane crash in December 1967. The following year, his “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay” became the first song to reach #1 posthumously in American chart history.53. Otis Redding. Why he’s on the list: During the 1950s and ’60s, the world of pure soul music could be seen as belonging to Atlantic Records and its subsidiary labels, including the Stax/Volt imprint to which Otis Redding was signed. As part of the legendary Stax roster of Memphis soul artists, Redding brought with him a rawness and a gritty emotional edge that had rarely been heard in music before the mid-1960s. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which inducted him in 1989, said it best: Redding’s name is “synonymous with the term soul, music that arose out of the black experience in America…” Memorable songs: “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long,” “Respect,” “Try a Little Tenderness,” “Tramp” and “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay,”
Mahalia Jackson, gospel singer and Civil Rights activist, is the only Rock and Roll Hall of Famer whose sole form of recorded music was gospel.52. Mahalia Jackson. Why she’s on the list: She’s the “Queen of Gospel Music.” Mahalia Jackson took gospel music to unprecedented levels during the 1940s and ’50s when she played before international audiences who at once declared her the “world’s greatest gospel singer” (a moniker that would eventually become the title of one of albums in 1954). While she never recorded secular music (a vow to herself that she kept throughout her career), her music was sometimes criticized by gospel purists for its jazzy and orchestral arrangements. It didn’t stop her from continuing to use her music and popularity to champion causes like the civil rights movement. She participated in both the 1956 Montgomery (Alabama) bus boycott and the 1963 March on Washington, DC. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted her in 1997 as an early rock and roll influence. Memorable songs: “Take My Hand, Precious Lord,” “Go Tell It on the Mountain,” “We Shall Overcome,” “What a Friend We Have in Jesus” and “How I Got Over.”
Until 1978 when it was surpassed by Paul Davis’ “I Go Crazy,” Johnny Mathis’ hit, “Wonderful, Wondeful” was the longest-charting song in Billboard pop history at 39 weeks on the Top 100 chart.51. Johnny Mathis. Why he’s on the list: You may not know this, but according to Guinness Book of World Records writer Paul Gambaccini, Johnny Mathis has sold 350 million records worldwide. Of course, that’s a hefty claim and one that I cannot verify, but even if he’s sold a third of that amount, it still makes him one of the biggest-selling black artists in music history. The fact that he’s had 73 different albums reach the Billboard charts also bodes well for the sales stat. Known as a singer of easy-listening pop standards, Mathis didn’t achieve a No. 1 R&B single until he teamed with soul singer Deniece Williams in 1978 for the classic duet “Too Much, Too Little, Too Late.” Other memorable songs: “It’s Not For Me To Say,” “Misty,” Chances Are” and “Wonderful, Wonderful.”

John Coltrane’s rendition of “My Favorite Things” is 13 minutes of pure listening pleasure.
50. John Coltrane. Why he’s on the list: I’m listening to his “My Favorite Things” as I type this and I’m wondering if he shouldn’t be ranked higher. Perhaps the most complex jazz musician that ever lived, Coltrane was certainly one of the most influential. He specialized in saxophone – playing tenor, alto and soprano sax – and his name is synonymous with many forms of jazz, including sub genres like avant-garde, hard bop, modal jazz and free jazz. He’s played with the likes of Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk, both of whom are also on this list of greatest musicians. Coltrane died young (age 40 in 1967), but his legacy has certainly lived on and, in fact, has grown in the decades since. Memorable songs: “My Favorite Things,” “Giant Steps,” “Naima,” “Equinox,” “A Love Supreme” and “My One and Only Love” (with Johnny Hartman).

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend Al Green achieved all of his biggest hits in the 1970s in a musical partnership with producer Willie Mitchell.49. Al Green. Why he’s on the list: The Reverend Al Green is on many lists, including Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time (#66), the Songwriters Hall of Fame, the Gospel Music Association’s Gospel Music Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He also is a Lifetime Achievement Award recipient from BET, has a BMI Icon Award and most recently became a Kennedy Center Honors recipient. He has eight Grammys for his gospel performances alone and is considered one of “the Last of the Great Soul Singers.” Memorable songs: “Tired of Being Alone,” “Let’s Stay Together,” “I’m Still in Love with You,” “You Ought to be with Me,” “Call Me (Come Back Home),” “Love and Happiness,” “Look What You Done For Me” and “Full of Fire.”

Count Basie is one of the four legendary artists called out in Stevie Wonder’s classic #1 hit, “Sir Duke,” from 1977.48. Count Basie. Why he’s on the list: The legendary Count Basie was a pianist and organist who started his own jazz orchestra in 1936 and led it for nearly 50 years (until his death in 1984). According to Wikipedia, Basie (with his band) innovated the use of two ‘split’ tenor saxophones (a tenor sax player on either side of an alto sax player) at a time when most bands had just one tenor. He also was noted for “emphasizing the rhythm section, and riffing with a big band,” among other innovations. In fact, Basie was key to the success of the big band and swing music eras. As a testament to his stature in the jazz community, he either performed or recorded with the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Quincy Jones and Sarah Vaughan. His Grammy Award winnings for jazz performances spans 26 years (from 1958 to ’84). Memorable songs: “One O’Clock Jump,” “April in Paris,” “Lil’ Darlin’,” “Splanky,” “Sleepwalker’s Serenade” and “Ain’t Misbehavin'” (with Ella Fitzgerald).

Forever known for their Motown hits, the Four Tops also had a respectable run of hits during their association with ABC/Dunhill during the ’70s.47. Four Tops. Why they’re on the list: Except for the Temptations, this was Motown Records premier male recording group during the 1960s, racking up hit record after hit record with a slew of songs created by the legendary Holland-Dozier-Holland. Unlike most of the groups on this list, they maintained their original lineup of Levi Stubbs (lead singer), Duke Fakir, Obie Benson and Lawrence Payton for 44 years (from 1953 – 97) until the issue was forced with the death of Payton in ’97. Benson and Stubbs died afterwards, leaving Fakir as the only original member. When H-D-H left Motown’s stable of writers in 1967, the hits slowed down for the Four Tops. But they had renewed success when they left Motown for ABC-Dunhill in the 1970s, which continued with Casablanca Records in the 1980s. Memorable songs: “Baby I Need Your Loving,” “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch),” “It’s the Same Old Song,” “Reach Out I’ll Be There,” “Standing in the Shadows of Love,” “Bernadette,” “Walk Away Renee,” “Still Water (Love),” “Keeper of the Castle,” “Ain’t No Woman (Like the One I’ve Got” and “When She Was My Girl.”

The late Donna Summer is arguably the biggest disco star ever. She may be the only disco solo act ever inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.46. Donna Summer. Why she’s on the list: There are several artists on this list who can lay claim to one royal crown or another. However, there will never be another Queen of Disco, the crown Summer earned during the late 1970s. From the time she moaned her way onto radio with “Love to Love You Baby” in 1975 to the end of the decade when her Bad Girls LP became the 2nd-biggest disco album in history (behind “Saturday Night Fever”), the late Donna Summer practically owned the genre. She even extended its life when she gave disco a rock-leaning edge (“Hot Stuff” and “Bad Girls”) – a move that likely allowed her not to become an industry casualty when disco was declared dead merely months after Bad Girls fizzled out. She managed to succeed well into the 1980s. Memorable songs: the above-mentioned plus “Spring Affair,” “I Feel Love,” “Last Dance,” “MacArthur Park,” “Dim All the Lights,” “Love is in Control (Finger on the Trigger),” “State of Independence” and “This Time I Know It’s For Real.”

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
Dinah Washington was one of the earliest black crossover artists during the 1950s.45. Dinah Washington. Why she’s on the list: In her short 39 years of living, she left her mark by recorded in a number of musical styles including jazz, blues, R&B and pop. She was considered the most successful black female recording artist of the 1950s and was so popular that she was sometimes criticized for allegedly “selling out” to commercialism. She gave herself the title “Queen of the Blues” and she essentially lived up to it. In 1993, she was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a fitting recognition for this artist who was cited as an influence by many, including Aretha Franklin. Memorable songs:”I Wanna Be Loved,” “What a Diff’rence a Day Made,” “Baby (You’ve Got What It Takes),” “A Rockin’ Good Way (To Mess Around and Fall In Love),” “September in the Rain,” and “Is You Is or Is You Ain’t My Baby.”

As of this typing, we’re only 10 days from the tenth anniversary of Luther Vandross’ passing (July 1, 2005).44. Luther Vandross. Why he’s on the list: Because he’s Luther. A better question may be why he’s not ranked higher. The answer to that one is tough competition. Still, Luther Vandross was the premier R&B vocalist of his generation, even if he didn’t always have the chart numbers to prove it. He “only” had six Number One songs on the R&B chart (and none topped the pop chart – a fact that reportedly always bothered Vandross). By comparison, Freddie Jackson, who had ten #1 R&B singles during the same timeframe, didn’t make this list. That’s because we’re still hearing and singing many of Luther’s hits today. Vandross, the man with three lives (first as a background singer and commercial jingle artist, then as a studio singer with groups like Chic and Change, and finally as a solo artist), achieved his greatest success with his Epic Records catalog between 1981 and ’91. He wrote some of his own music but had the enviable ability to remake others’ hits into his own signature tunes. Classic examples include “Superstar” (Carpenters) and “A House is Not a Home” (Dionne Warwick). Other memorable songs: “Searchin'” and “The Glow of Love” (with Change); “Never Too Much,” “Bad Boy (Havin’ A Party),” “Forever, For Always, For Love,” “Better Love,” “Wait for Love,” “Stop to Love,” “There’s Nothing Better Than Love,” “Here and Now,” “Power of Love/Love Power,” “Dance With My Father.”

The many faces of the late Dizzy Gillespie usually bore one strong common feature: those bulging cheeks.43. Dizzy Gillespie. Why he’s on the list: As a child, I used to refer to Gillespie as the man with muscles in his cheeks. And those “muscles” helped make him one of the most celebrated and complex jazz trumpeters in music history. According to Wikipedia, Gillespie was a “trumpet virtuoso and improviser…adding layers of harmonic complexity previously unheard of in jazz. His beret and horn-rimmed spectacles, his scat singing, his bent horn, pouched cheeks and his light-hearted personality were essential in popularizing bebop.” He taught and influenced many other musicians, including Miles Davis, Chuck Mangione and Wynton Marsalis. From 1937 to ’92 as a lead artist, he released nearly 90 albums. He also performed or recorded as a sideman (or featured artist) with many greats including Cab Calloway, Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Eckstine, Duke Ellington, Quincy Jones and even Stevie Wonder (“Do I Do”). Memorable songs: “A Night in Tunisia,” “Tin Tin Deo,” “Be Bop,” “Salt Peanuts,” “Groovin’ High” and “Autumn Leaves.”

The late Barry White could arguably be considered the founder of Disco music, with lush strings and four-on-the-floor bass drum arrangements on many of his early hits.42. Barry White. Why he’s on the list: The “Maestro” Barry White innovated an approach to R&B that was instrumental in advancing the cause for disco music in its earliest days. During the first half of the 1970s, White infused full string sections into his otherwise R&B-flavored hits and gave them enough of a pop edge to crossover and sell millions of copies in the process. It often goes unsaid, but if it hadn’t been for the success of songs like “Love’s Theme,” “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe,” and “You’re the First, the Last, My Everything” in 1974, disco music may not have had the success it achieved later in the decade with songs by the Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Gloria Gaynor and many others. But we’d be remiss in referring to Barry White as a disco artist. He was much more. His brand of R&B and pop was characterized by full orchestral arrangements and even more unique accompanying rhythm tracks. White’s influence on American music was immeasurable and his death on the Fourth of July, 2003, only punctuated his status as an American music icon. Memorable songs: the above-mentioned, plus “I’m Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby,” “Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up,” “What Am I Gonna Do With You,” “It’s Ecstasy (When You Lay Down Next to Me),” “Oh What A Night For Dancin’,” “Your Sweetness Is My Weakness,” “The Secret Garden” (with Quincy Jones) and “Practice What You Preach.”

The late Jackie Wilson was immortalized in the joint-Marvin Gaye tribute song “Nightshift” by the Commodores in 1984, shortly after Wilson’s and Gaye’s deaths.41. Jackie Wilson. Why he’s on the list: If there ever was a distinction between Rhythm & Blues (or R&B) and soul music, those lines were forever blurred when the late Jackie Wilson came along. “Mr. Excitement,” as he was known, was an important figure in the transition of R&B (primarily the 1940s and ’50s genre) into soul (1960s and ’70s). His nickname was attributed to him due to the fervor with which he performed on stage, often doing splits, spins, slides, and even back-flips, dynamic dance moves that later inspired such legends as James Brown, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. His music repertoire was nothing to sneeze at either. He recorded over 50 hit singles, including six #1 R&B hits and 14 top-20 pop hits. Memorable songs: “Lonely Teardrops,” “Doggin’ Around,” “Night,” “Baby Workout” and “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher.”

The late Curtis Mayfield was one of several artists on this list whose deaths followed tragic incidents which affected their quality of life during their last years.40. Curtis Mayfield/Impressions. Why he’s on the list: The late Mayfield was an icon among icons and is one of the few artists to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice – once for his work with the Impressions, and then as a solo artist. His work with the Impressions essentially established the group as a soulful, socially-conscious band whose records often included messages of hope and encouragement for a downtrodden race of people during the civil rights era. Some of those songs still resonate today with the increasingly tense race relations in America and the seemingly weekly reminders that the country still hasn’t evolved from where it was 50 years ago during Mayfield’s heyday. During his very successful solo career in the ’70s, he scored the highly successful Superfly and Claudine soundtracks as well as several hits for others, including Gladys Knight and Aretha Franklin. Memorable songs: “It’s All Right,” “Keep on Pushing,” “Amen,” “People Get Ready” and “We’re a Winner” (all with the Impressions); and “(Don’t Worry) If There’s a Hell Below We’re All Going to Go,” “Freddie’s Dead,” “Superfly,” “Pusherman” and “Kung Fu.”

Chaka Khan was at least five different women in her classic video for “I’m Every Woman,” a song remade – with Khan’s blessing – by the late Whitney Houston in 1992.39. Chaka Khan/Rufus. Why she/they are on the list: The group Rufus, featuring Chaka Khan, emerged in 1974 with “Tell Me Something Good,” and followed that with tunes that became R&B radio staples during the second half of the decade. However, it wasn’t until the legendary Chaka Khan broke out on her own that people really began to appreciate what made Rufus so special. After recording her iconic “I’m Every Woman” in 1978, she did double duty as a solo artist and as Rufus’ lead singer until she left the group for good in 1983. Khan has reportedly sold 70 million records worldwide (including hits with Rufus), and has often been dubbed the “Queen of Funk.” Her last commercially viable album, 2007’s Funk This, bears witness to this. I had the privilege of seeing Khan perform a concert in 2012 and she was in top form, performing the songs in their original keys and with an energy that did their original versions justice. Memorable songs: “Tell Me Something Good,” “You Got the Love,” “Once You Get Started,” “Sweet Thing,” “Fools Paradise,” “At Midnight (My Love Will Lift You Up),” “Hollywood,” “Everlasting Love,” “Stay,” “Do You Love What You Feel,” “Ain’t Nobody” (all with Rufus); “I’m Every Woman,” “Clouds,” “Papillon (a/k/a Hot Butterfly),” “What ‘Cha Gonna Do For Me,” “Got To Be There,” “I Feel For You,” “Through the Fire” and “Angel.”

George Clinton hasn’t reaped all the financial benefits of his classic repertoire of hits from the 1970s, but many rap musicians have.38. George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic/Bootsy Collins. Why he/they are on the list: Funk music pioneer George Clinton and his dual ensembles Parliament and Funkadelic have had a profound impact on popular music that cannot be overstated. It is reported that Clinton’s music is the 2nd-most sampled in hip-hop behind that of James Brown. Using Brown and Sly Stone as influences, Clinton forged a unique style of funk from the mid-1970s to early ’80s that experimented with technology (mostly keyboards and synthesizers) and which allowed him to stand alone in the funk music field. He and his P-funk associates (including for a time, Bootsy Collins) regularly churned out hit after hit, including six Number One R&B singles (“Flashlight,” “Bootzilla,” “One Nation Under a Groove,” “Aqua Boogie,” “(Not Just) Knee Deep” and “Atomic Dog”). Clinton, Collins and 13 other members of the Parliament-Funkadelic entourage were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1997. Memorable songs: the #1 tunes mentioned above, along with “Chocolate City,” “Tear the Roof off the Sucker (Give up the Funk),” “P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up),” “Theme from the Black Hole,” “Agony of DeFeet” (all Parliament); “Cholly (Funk Getting Ready to Roll!)” (Funkadelic); and “The Pinocchio Theory” (Bootsy’s Rubber Band).

Dionne Warwick is one of the most accomplished singers of all time, with a chart run spanning nearly 30 years.37. Dionne Warwick. Why she’s on the list: Warwick is one of the most enduring artists of all time, having begun her career in 1962 (professionally) and having #1 pop hits as late as 1986 (“That’s What Friends Are For”). Excluding album cuts and songs by featured acts, Dionne Warwick has charted more singles on the pop chart than any woman other than Aretha Franklin. She’s also sold over 100 million records worldwide, making her one of the biggest-selling acts of any genre of all time. By teaming with the legendary songwriting/production team of Hal David and Burt Bacharach, Warwick began a partnership that produced many 1960s classics, several of which have been remade by other artists (“Walk On By,” ” A House is Not a Home,” “Don’t Make Me Over,” “Anyone Who Had a Heart,” “I Say a Little Prayer” just to name a few). She is often relegated to being “Whitney Houston’s cousin,” but I view that as a slight, after all Dionne came first, and her catalog certainly stands alone as one of the most iconic in music history. Memorable songs: the above Bacharach/David tunes, plus “Valley of the Dolls,” “Alfie,” “Then Came You” (with the Spinners); “I’ll Never Love This Way Again,” “Deja Vu,” “Heartbreaker,” “That’s What Friends are For,” and “Love Power” (with Jeffrey Osborne).

Kanye West’s last six albums have reached #1 and sold millions of copies. His only one not to top the chart: College Dropout, which peaked at #2 in ’04 (but still sold millions).36. Kanye West. Why he’s on the list: While some may not like what he does or what comes out of his mouth, this rapper out of Chicago has left an indelible mark on music over the past dozen years, ever since his landmark album, The College Dropout, dropped in 2004. Every album he’s released since then (six of ’em) have reached #1 – a feat that not many other rappers can claim (only Jay Z and Eminem have had more chart toppers). West has also sold nearly 100 million albums and song downloads in this country alone, making him one of the biggest-selling artists of all time in any genre. His songs have gone from spiritual to pensive to all-out rants. They’ve embodied West at his rapping best – usually with a drawn-out drawl that has inspired others like Childish Gambino and Drake. West has even experimented with singing, specifically with his 2008 album, 808s and Heartbreak, which produced the Autotune-enhanced hits, “Love Lockdown” and “Heartless.” Simply put, Kanye West – love him or hate him – is one of the most prolific musicians of this or any generation. Memorable songs: “Through the Wire,” “Jesus Walks,” “Slow Jamz” (with Jamie Foxx and Twista), “Gold Digger,” “Stronger,” “Lockdown,’ “Heartless,” “Paranoid,” “American Boy” and “!!!!!s in Paris.”

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,821 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
That's called an instrumentalist.

Someone who writes songs but doesn't play instruments is very much a musician without playing an instrument.

You're either a musician or you're not. There's no equivocating on that. A singer or entertainer is not a musician. Singers (and entertainers) often sing and dance to the music that musicians create.

Also, you should learn the difference between a "songwriter" and a composer. Songwriters create lyrical content without any musical accompaniment, but composers are also musicians who write music through the use of musical notation. You must have knowledge of chords patterns and theory to compose music.

Rihanna and Toni Braxton are not musicians and don't compose music. They don't know the difference between a major or minor scale. All they do is sing and dance.

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
I snapped a picture of this image of Tina during a recent visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. She was inducted in 1991.35. Tina Turner (Ike & Tina Turner). Why she’s on the list: Tina Turner would likely have been a candidate for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (with her late husband Ike) even before her legendary resurgence in 1984 with the album Private Dancer and its landmark single, “What’s Love Got to Do With It.” But that comeback success clearly cemented her rightful place in the museum. Thanks to that 1984 album and single, the world was allowed to see the uniquely talented Turner reach a level of popularity not seen by any other African-American female whose primary genre of choice was rock and roll. It set off a string of hits that would carry her through the rest of the 1980s and beyond. She’s among the many members of music royalty on this list, with Turner arguably donning the crown of “Queen of Rock and Roll.” She’s sold over 100 million records and ranks among the top-selling concert performers in history. Memorable songs: “A Fool in Love,” “River Deep – Mountain High” and “Proud Mary” (as Ike & Tina Turner); “Let’s Stay Together,” “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” “Better Be Good to Me,” “Private Dancer,” “We Don’t Need Another Hero,” “One of the Living,” “Typical Male” and “The Best.”

Gladys Knight & the Pips are often overlooked when discussing the greatest black artists of all time, but not here. They’re clearly among the best.34. Gladys Knight & the Pips. Why they’re on the list: Gladys Knight & the Pips are one of the few groups whose career of Number One R&B hits spanned three decades (from 1961’s “Every Beat of My Heart” to 1987’s “Love Overboard”). Even more impressively, the resilient quartet recorded ten #1 songs for five different record labels, including King (Vee-Jay), Soul (Motown), Buddah, Columbia, and MCA Records. No other artist or group has ever accomplished that. If you include her turn as one of the “Friends” in Dionne Warwick’s “That’s What Friends are For” (on Warner Bros.), then Gladys Knight has had eleven #1 R&B hits on six different labels. Knight has been called the “Empress of Soul,” likely because the title “Queen of Soul” has been reserved for another legendary artist coming up in Part 4, and we all know that Gladys is truly deserving of a royal title given her legendary career with the Pips – a career that led to the group being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1996. Memorable songs: “I Heard it Through the Grapevine,” “Friendship Train,” “If I Were Your Woman,” “Neither One of Us,” “Midnight Train to Georgia,” “I’ve Got to Use My Imagination,” “Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me,” “On and On,” “Make Yours a Happy Home,” “I Feel A Song (In My Heart),” “The Way We Were/Try to Remember,” “Part Time Love,” “Baby Don’t Change Your Mind,” “Landlord,” “Save the Overtime for Me,” “Love Overboard.”

There are only five acts on this list who are in their 30s or younger: Rihanna (27), Alicia Keys (34), Usher (36), Kanye West (37) and Beyonce at 33.33. Beyonce/Destiny’s Child. Why she/they are on the list: Beyonce Knowles – has been churning out hits for nearly 18 years. Either solo or with DC, she’s topped the R&B and pop charts 12 and nine times, respectively. She’s the only solo woman in history with a minimum of five albums to have all of them reach #1 on the Billboard 200. The most recent of those, Beyonce, became legendary in 2013 when it sold over a million copies in under two weeks after being released to iTunes with zero promotion, making her name synonymous with any other artist’s attempt to do that in future years. In 2009, she was named the top-selling female artist of the 2000s, and Time Magazine has ranked her among the 100 most influential people in the world for the last two years. She’s topped record charts in many other countries, including the UK, Canada, Finland, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Norway, Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. She’s sold over 135 million records/downloads worldwide. Memorable songs: “No, No, No,” “Say My Name,” “Jumpin’, Jumpin’,” “Independent Women, Pt. 2,” “Lose My Breath” (all with Destiny’s Child); “Crazy in Love,” “Baby Boy,” “Me, Myself & I,” “Check on It,” “Irreplaceable,” “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It),” “Halo,” “Love on Top,” “Party” and “Drunk in Love.”

Billboard Magazine has ranked R. Kelly as the most successful R&B artist of all time. On my list, which includes all genres of music, he ranks #32 .32. R. Kelly. Why he’s on the list: In 2010, Billboard Magazine compiled a ranking of the biggest R&B artists of the previous 25 years, and R. Kelly placed at the top. Since hitting the scene in 1992 as a leader of the group Public Announcement (with whom he recorded two #1 R&B hits: “Honey Love” and “Slow Dance (Hey Mr. DJ)”), R. Kelly has been a major force in the black music community. The artist broke from Public Announcement in 1993 and released his first solo album, which produced the song that would eventually break the record for most weeks at #1 on the R&B chart (“Bump n’ Grind,” 12 weeks). A rapid succession of hugely popular albums and singles followed during the ensuing ten years, eventually racking up over 100 million in worldwide sales and making R. Kelly one of the best-selling musical artists of all time. Memorable songs: “Bump ‘N Grind,” “Your Body’s Calling,” “You Remind Me of Something,” “I Can’t Sleep Baby (If I),” “Down Low (Nobody Has to Know),” “I Believe I Can Fly,” “I’m Your Angel,” “I Wish,” “Fiesta,” “Ignition” and “Step in the Name of Love.”

Smokey Robinson’s songs have been covered by many artists, including the Jackson 5, Linda Ronstadt, Aretha Franklin and others.31. Smokey Robinson/The Miracles. Why he/they are on the list: Smokey Robinson has a velvety smooth voice that is unmistakeable. As the 1980s pop group ABC once sang in their 1987 tribute single, “When Smokey sings, I hear violins.” They weren’t alone. This legendary Motown artist graced us with it in 1960 with the label’s first big hit, “Shop Around,” and he was still hitting the pop top ten 27 years later with “One Heartbeat” and “Just to See Her,” while still with Motown. Robinson’s name is nearly as synonymous with Motown Records as the label’s founder Berry Gordy. After all, Smokey served as the label’s Vice President under Gordy (until 1988) and as its chief songwriter during the early 1960s producing big hits for the Temptations, Mary Wells, the Marvelettes and Marvin Gaye. Smokey’s “Quiet Storm” is credited with starting the adult-leaning “quiet storm” format of late-night R&B radio during the 1970s. Memorable songs: “Shop Around,” “You Really Got a Hold on Me,” “I Second That Emotion,” “Going to a Go-Go,” “Ooh Baby Baby,” “The Tracks of My Tears,” “The Love I Saw In You Was Just a Mirage,” “Tears of a Clown” (all with the Miracles): “Quiet Storm,” “Baby That’s Backatcha,” “Cruisin’,” “Being With You,” “Ebony Eyes” (with Rick James), “Just to See Her” and “One Heartbeat.”

Jay Z dropped the hyphen from his name during the past couple years, but the man with many names can still be called “Jigga,” “Hova,” or simply Shawn Carter.30. Jay Z. Why he’s on the list: When rapper Shawn Carter, a/k/a Jay-Z (he’s since dropped the hyphen) rapped in 1997’s “I Love the Dough” (with Biggie Smalls) that he’d “play the charts like the Beatles,” little did we know how prophetic that lyric line would be. Since then, Jay Z has racked up more Number One albums (13) on Billboard’s main album chart than anyone besides the Beatles. That’s more than Elvis, more than the Eagles, more than Elton, more than Michael (who probably didn’t even release 13), more than Bruce, more than Madonna and more than Mariah. In a rap career that now spans nearly 20 years, Jay Z has clearly become the most prolific hip-hop star in the genre’s history and is one of the world’s best-selling artists of any genre of all time. That any rapper can say that is amazing to me. Memorable songs: “Ain’t No !!!!!,” “Can I Get A…,” “Hard Knock Life,” “99 Problems,” “Encore,” “’03 Bonnie & Clyde,” “Change Clothes” “Empire State of Mind” and “!!!!!s in Paris.”
to see a complete list of all the #1 rap albums in chart history, click here.

Tupac (“2Pac”) Shakur is considered the greatest rapper of all time by many. He would have been 44 this year.29. 2pac (Tupac Shakur). Why he’s on the list: So if Jay-Z is the most successful black rapper from a commercial standpoint, why does he rank below the immortal Tupac Shakur? As one of my best friend’s put it, 2pac (Shakur’s stage name) was the “John Lennon of hip-hop.” Like Lennon, he was troubled by the state of affairs in the world, particularly here in America, and he took to pen and paper and a microphone to call out those issues. While many people (including myself at times during his short life) took umbrage with his tone and delivery, no one could argue with his impact on the hip-hop community. He achieved a combination of commercial and critical acclaim that was rare for any rapper – especially one as outspoken as he was during his prime. At least twelve 2Pac albums have sold a million copies or more (eight of them after his death). Two of them have been certified “Diamond” by the R.I.A.A. (Diamond equals 10 million copies sold), something no other rapper can claim. He’s influenced more rappers than any other MC in the game and consistently ranks as the greatest rapper of all time on many notable lists. As such, he’s also the top rapper on this list of 100 Greatest by DJRob. Memorable songs: “Brenda’s Got a Baby,” “I Get Around,” “Keep Ya Head Up,” “Dear Mama,” “California Love,” “How Do U Want It,” “I Ain’t Mad at Cha” and “Hail Mary.”

Singing and holding up an index finger could be symbolic of the many Number One hits that Lionel Richie has penned over his 40 years in the business.28. Lionel Richie/Commodores. Why he/they are on the list: The Commodores are on the list because of Lionel Richie. Lionel Richie is on the list because of his immensely successful career as the leader of the group and as a singer/songwriter on his own during the 1970s and ’80s. One could argue that the best and worst thing that ever happened to the Commodores was “Three Times a Lady.” The ballad became the group’s first #1 pop hit in 1978 and showcased Richie’s abilities as a balladeer and songwriter. It setup their next #1 pop hit, “Still,” in ’79, but more importantly, set the stage for Richie to begin writing and producing songs for other artists like Kenny Rogers. The writing was on the wall by 1981 when Richie left the Commodores and embarked on a solo career in which he continued writing and recording #1 hits. He wrote #1 songs in nine consecutive years (1978-86) and ranked as one of the most successful solo artists of the 1980s. His superstardom faded in the 1990s, but he made a valiant comeback in 2012 with the country album Tuskegee that topped the Billboard 200 and became one of the best-selling albums of the year. Memorable songs: “Machine Gun,” “Slippery When Wet,” “Sweet Love,” “Just to be Close to You,” “Easy,” “Brick House,” “Sail On,” “Lady You Bring Me Up,” “Jesus is Love,” (all with the Commodores); “Endless Love,” “Truly,” “You Are,” “All Night Long (All Night),” “Hello,” “Love Will Find a Way,” “Say You, Say Me” and “Dancin’ on the Ceiling.”

Only three artists in the Top 100 list have not seen their 34th birthdays, Rihanna and Beyonce (both of whom are still living), and Sam Cooke, who was killed just weeks shy of his 34th in December 1964.27. Sam Cooke. Why he’s on the list: Sam Cooke’s life was tragically cut short at age 33 in 1964. This means that Sam Cooke accomplished in a very short time what very few artists did in sometimes twice as many years. Cooke is commonly viewed as one of the greatest singers of all time, with an ability to meld his gospel roots into R&B and soul the way few others did. He’s often cited as the reason soul music’s popularity grew in the 1960s and ’70s, allowing many other artists to reap the benefits. Rolling Stone magazine ranked him as the 4th-greatest singer of all time, behind Aretha, Ray Charles and Elvis. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame fittingly inducted him as a charter member in 1986. Memorable songs: “You Send Me,” “(What a) Wonderful World,” “Chain Gang,” “Cupid,” “Bring it on Home to Me,” “Another Saturday Night” and “A Change is Gonna Come.”

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
Chuck Berry is the oldest living artist on this countdown at 88 years old. He recorded many hits for the famous Chess Records label, including his #1 hit, “My Ding-a-Ling” in 1972.26. Chuck Berry. Why he’s on the list: Among the many artists who could legitimately lay claim to having done so, it’s hard to pinpoint exactly which artist actually started rock and roll. There are so many influential black artists of the early rhythm and blues era on this list (and even some that didn’t make it) who could be credited with founding rock and roll, including Fats Domino and Little Richard among them. But one could make a strong case that rock and roll belonged to Berry, not just because of the music he made (which included the major lead-guitar elements that later characterized rock), but because of the style and attitude that he brought with it. For instance, he has long been known for his legendary dance moves, like the “duck walk” and his one-legged hop routine, both of which made him a legend on stage. Appropriately, he was among the first to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame when it was founded in 1986. Memorable songs: “Maybellene,” “Roll Over Beethoven,” “Sweet Little Sixteen,” “Johnny B. Goode,” “No Particular Place to Go” and “My Ding-a-Ling.”

Mariah Carey has had more #1 singles than anyone other than the Beatles. 25. Mariah Carey. Why she’s this high on the list: That unmatchable four-range vocal octave. Plus, no other woman has had as many solo Number One singles as Mariah Carey. She’s had 18 #1 songs on the Billboard Hot 100. Only the Beatles have had more. She was the biggest-selling female pop star of the 1990s, with only Garth Brooks selling more albums than she did during that decade. She’s also among the top-selling artists of all time having sold well over 100 million copies in the 1990s alone.
With numbers that astounding, a good question might be why isn’t she ranked higher?
A large reason for me is that some of her numbers were tainted by asterisks. For example, Mariah’s sales were somewhat manufactured by the shrewd marketing tactics of her label, Columbia Records. Her singles sales, for example, were often enhanced by low-ball pricing schemes (sometimes as low as 49 cents) to increase sales numbers tracked by Billboard. This was in a market where most singles (either CD or cassette) normally sold for roughly $3.49. This allowed cheaply-priced songs like “One Sweet Day” (with Boyz II Men) to spend extra time at #1 due to their highly discounted sales volume.
Another asterisk is that many labels in the late 1990s were withholding songs from having single releases to increase full-length album sales. This made the individual tracks unable to chart during a Billboard policy where a commercially available single was required for eligibility. Because Columbia Records took a different approach by allowing Mariah’s singles to be released to stores, they were able to chart – and chart very highly – in a relatively weak competitive field.
Was Mariah the only one to benefit from this kind of marketing? No. But it was more the norm than the exception in her case, especially with each new #1 and the recognition by a very chart-savvy Columbia Records how close their top artist was getting to achieving historic chart feats.
But even with the dubious nature of her chart successes, no one could deny her rare four-octave vocal range, especially at her peak. It was a voice any singer would be happy to have – along with all those #1 hits.
Memorable songs: “Vision of Love,” “Love Takes Time,” “Dreamlover,” “Hero,” “Fantasy,” “Always Be My Baby,” “All I Want for Christmas (Is You),” “Breakdown,” “Thank God I Found You,” “We Belong Together,” “Shake It Off” and “Don’t Forget About Us.”

Janet Jackson is the youngest Jackson sibling, but is the 2nd-most accomplished, with 16 #1 R&B singles, and ten #1 pop hits.24. Janet Jackson. Why she’s this high on the list: One might argue that she rode the coattails of her late brother Michael, but being a member of the Jackson family was not a guarantee of superstardom. Just look at the remaining Jackson family members. The only one besides Janet and Michael whom you could argue had a respectable solo singing career was Jermaine (and he wasn’t even among the 250-plus artists I considered for this list).:dead:

So Janet gets credit for being the one Jackson besides Michael who forged her own superstar success – first with the 1986 breakout album, Control, which set the stage for many video-oriented dance/pop female acts to come, then with several multi-platinum #1 albums that took her into the 2000s. With that success, Janet has secured many chart accomplishments and bragging rights. For example, she’s the only artist to have seven top-five hits from the same album (Rhythm Nation 1814), the only artist to have songs from the same album (again, Rhythm Nation 1814) reach #1 in three different calendar years (“Miss You Much,” 1989; “Escapade” and “Black Cat,” 1990; and “Love Will Never Do Without You,” 1991), and the only artist to have 18 consecutive top-ten singles on the Billboard Hot 100.
She’s no Aretha, Whitney, Patti or Mariah when it comes to belting out tunes, nor has she ever claimed to be. She has, however, used her melodic soprano-like vocals to deliver pop radio staples for 30-plus years. And it looks like she’s ready to make her presence felt again. When her new single “No Sleeep” entered the Hot 100 this past week at #67 , it made her one of the few women to have songs reach the chart in four separate decades (’80s, ’90s, ’00s, ’10s).
Memorable songs: “What Have You Done For Me Lately?” “Nasty,” “When I Think of You,” “Control,” “The Pleasure Principle,” “Miss You Much,” “Escapade,” “Alright,” “Love Will Never Do (Without You),” “That’s The Way Love Goes,” “If,” “Again,” “Scream” and “All For You.”

Earth, Wind & Fire’s music of love and spirituality was the foundation of their multi-platinum success during the 1970s.23. Earth Wind & Fire. Why they’re this high on the list: No other nine-member band made music like they did during the 1970s – particularly during EWF’s classic period between 1973 and 1980. Primarily known for their heavily brass-infused musical arrangements and Phillip Bailey’s near-perfect falsetto, EWF’s many landmark albums during that period made them one of the few black bands that were able to repeatedly attain the sales and chart heights that they achieved. And the band’s stage shows were among the most elaborate – setting a new high bar for musicians of any race or musical genre.
Earth, Wind & Fire’s music often included messages of spirituality and love – pretty heavy topics but fitting for their times. The band – particularly between 1973 and 1977 – also incorporated African rhythms and unique instruments (like the kalimba – an African thumb piano) into their music, while giving it just enough of a pop/funk twist to allow it to crossover. And they did that to perfection with classic albums such as Head to the Sky, Open Our Eyes, That’s the Way of the World, Gratitude, Spirit, All-n-All, and I Am…all of which were certified platinum.
The significance of a self-contained, nine-member band like EWF having the success it did cannot be overstated. Groups of that size who played real instruments were the norm back then and we took for granted that this would always be the case. The advent of new music production technology and the exorbitant costs of having to pay so many musicians would eliminate that musical element during the 1980s and beyond. But we were blessed to have it while we did. The “Elements of the Universe,” as EWF was often called, gave us some of the most memorable classics of their heyday, and many are still radio staples today. They were rightfully inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000.
Memorable songs: “Keep Your Head to the Sky,” “Mighty, Mighty,” “Devotion,” “Shining Star,” “That’s the Way of the World,” “Reasons,” “All ‘Bout Love,” “Sing A Song,” “Can’t Hide Love,” “Getaway,” “On Your Face,” “Spirit,” “Serpentine Fire,” “Fantasy,” “I’ll Write a Song for You,” “Be Ever Wonderful,” “Love’s Holiday,” “September,” “Boogie Wonderland,” “In The Stone,” “After the Love Has Gone,” “Can’t Let Go,” “Let’s Groove” and “Fall in Love With Me.”

Ella Fitzgerald is one of the two most recognizable female jazz names in music history.22. Ella Fitzgerald. Why she’s this high on the list: This “First Lady of Song” is one of the first names that come to mind when you mention jazz female artists, and rightfully so. Her improvisational style – particularly her scat singing ability – was unmatched by anyone who dared try. She managed a career that spanned six decades and she played with some of the greatest jazz musicians of all time (several of whom are on this list), including Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie and the Ink Spots.
In a field dominated by men, Fitzgerald even served as “nominal” bandleader when she took over Chick Webb’s band after his passing in 1939 (she was only 22 at the time). In just three years, Ella and her Famous Orchestra recorded nearly 150 songs to varying degrees of success.
It was during her solo career after the orchestra disbanded that Fitzgerald became most successful. While recording for Decca Records, she helped popularize the bebop style of jazz and gave the genre some of its most influential records of the 1940s. When she left Decca for Verve, Ella helped popularized the Great American Songbook series of albums where she dedicated complete projects to each composer. Among them were Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook (1956) and Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book (1957).
Ella Fitzgerald’s awards include the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (1967), Kennedy Center Medal of Honor Award, Society of Singers Lifetime Achievement Award and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She also received an honorary doctorate of Music from Harvard University.
Memorable songs: “(If You Can’t Sing It) You’ll Have to Swing It” (with Chick Webb), “Goodnight, My Love,” “A-Tisket, A-Tasket,” “Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall” (with the Ink Spots), “The Lady is a Tramp,” “That’s My Desire” and “Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”

The late Miles Davis is one of eleven jazz greats that made this list. He is also one of the few in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.21. Miles Davis. Why he’s this high on the list: Yet another of the jazz greats on this list, Miles is considered one of the most influential jazz musicians of the 20th century. He paid his dues first as a sideman for jazz greats like Billy Eckstine, then as a full-fledged member of bands led by legends like Charlie Parker (both Eckstine and Parker are near-misses on this list, by the way). When Davis became a bandleader himself, he became one of the best-selling jazz artists of all time. His 1959 Kind of Blue album (which I’m enjoying as I type this) has been certified quadruple platinum by the R.I.A.A. for four million copies shipped, making it the highest-certified true jazz album of all time. Many in jazz circles (i.e., those who’d know) consider it to be THE best jazz album of all time. To boot, his 1970 album, b!tches Brew, which is also considered a jazz must-have, is among the ten best-selling jazz albums at one million copies shipped.
Unlike many of his contemporaries who specialized in one type or another, Davis was skilled at playing multiple instruments, including the trumpet, flugelhorn, piano/organ and synthesizer. According to Wikipedia, Davis was also at the forefront of several types of jazz, including bebop, cool jazz, hard bop, modal jazz and jazz fusion. His improvisational style – particularly in the recording studio where spontaneous sessions were often recorded in very few takes – places him among the most highly respected musicians of all time – of any genre.
Appropriately, Miles Davis was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.
Memorable songs: Any track from either of the aforementioned two albums, Kind of Blue and b!tches Brew, plus tracks from ‘Round About Midnight, Birth of the Cool, and Miles Ahead.

At one point during the late 1960s, the Temptations were the most successful American band on the charts.20. The Temptations (incl. David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Dennis Edwards). Why they’re this high on the list: For the eight-year period between 1964 and 1972, this was the top American male singing group on the pop and R&B charts. Only the Beatles and Rolling Stones, both from Britain, were bigger on the pop singles charts during that timeframe, and no group – British or American, male or female – was bigger on the soul charts.
With songs written and produced primarily by William “Smokey” Robinson and later by Norman Whitfield, this five-man ensemble, whose classic lineup featured Ruffin and Kendricks trading lead vocals from 1964 to ’68, gave us classics like their staple, “My Girl,” and “I Wish It Would Rain,” among many others. Their stage presence was honed with immaculate dance routines that became their signature. The combination of their music, the signature dance moves and Motown’s promotional machine made them stars of an international stage not seen by many black groups before them. In total, with Edwards replacing Ruffin in ’68, they recorded four #1 pop and 15 #1 R&B hits, and dozens of other chart singles over nearly 30 years.
The “Tempting Tempts,” as they were sometimes known, have certainly endured their share of tragedies over the years, with both Kendrick and Ruffin dying in their 50s after years of internal conflicts and ill-fated reunions with other members of the group. Paul Williams and Melvin Franklin also died relatively young. Although the band still tours and has probably gone through more members than any other on this list, the only living founding member from their classic mid-’60s lineup is Otis Williams, who still performs with the current version of the group.
Memorable songs: “My Girl,” “Ain’t to Proud to Beg,” “Beauty Is Only Skin Deep,” “I Know I’m Losing You,” “You’re My Everything,” “I Wish It Would Rain,” “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me” (with Diana Ross & the Supremes), “I Can’t Get Next To You,” “Ball of Confusion,” “Just My Imagination,” “Papa Was a Rolling Stone,” “Shaky Ground,” and “Standing on the Top.”

The Isley Brothers began as a trio with the older brothers before adding two younger Isleys and a brother-in-law, Chris Jasper.19. Isley Brothers. Why they’re this high on the list: Because no other R&B band had the staying power that this brother act from Cincinnati did. As proof, they are the only R&B band – or band of any type – that can claim to have a top 50 hit in each of six consecutive decades. Their biggest Hot 100 hits of each decade:
1950s – “Shout” (#47); 1960s – “It’s Your Thing” (#3); 1970s – “Fight The Power” (#4); 1980s – “Don’t Say Goodnight (It’s Time For Love)” (#39); 1990s – “Down Low (Nobody Has to Know) -with R. Kelly (#4); and 2000s – “Contagious” (#1 9).
And that’s not to mention the dozens of other songs they’ve charted with – over 70 in total on either the pop or R&B charts. To achieve their chart success, the Isleys led the charge on creativity and innovation by blending R&B, funk and rock (and even folk rock) music styles. This was particularly true during the group’s peak period when younger brothers Ernie, Marvin and brother-in-law Chris Jasper joined older brothers Ronald, O’Kelly and Rudolph to make up their classic lineup.
The Isleys went through several changes, first with the three older brothers performing as a trio in the 1950s and singing with RCA-Victor and later Motown Records, then as a sextet during the 1970s with the three younger members now included. Their classic period (1973 – 1980) saw the band recording several million-selling platinum albums on its own record label, T-Neck Records (distributed by CBS). After their last T-Neck top-ten R&B hit in 1983, the three younger members broke off and in 1984 formed Isley-Jasper-Isley and hit with the #1 R&B song, “Caravan of Love.” Then, after various incarnations of the group with brothers coming and going, lead singer Ronald teamed up with R. Kelly to record the ’90s #1 R&B hit, “Down Low,” billing it as R. Kelly featuring the Isley Brothers.
Even more impressive than their historic chart feats and multiple incarnations was the band’s versatility. The Isley Brothers were one of the few groups that could give you hard rockers one minute (“Livin’ in the Life,” “The Pride,” “Fight The Power”), folksy remakes of pop-rock tunes the next (“Lay Lady Lay” and “Summer Breeze”), and then turn around and give you some of the best baby-making soul music of all time (“Don’t Say Goodnight,” “For the Love Of You” and “Between the Sheets”).
And let’s not forget the impact they’ve had on hip-hop. Some of the biggest hits of the ’90s used their tunes as foundations, like Notorious B.I.G.’s “Big Poppa” (sampled “Between The Sheets”); and Bone Thugs-n-Harmony’s “Tha Crossroads” (sampled “Make Me Say It Again Girl”).
Simply put, the Isley Brothers, in one form or another, are the most venerable group of black musicians to ever grace radio. And their induction in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992 simply underscored their status as legends.
Memorable songs: “Shout,” “Twist and Shout,” “It’s Your Thing,” “Work To Do,” “Love the One You’re With,” “Pop That Thang,” “That Lady,” “Summer Breeze,” “Live It Up,” “Fight the Power,” “For the Love of You,” “Who Loves You Better,” “Harvest for the World,” “The Pride,” “Livin’ in the Life,” “Footsteps in the Dark,” “Voyage to Atlantis,” “Don’t Say Goodnight,” “Between the Sheets,” “Down Low (Nobody Has to Know)” (with R. Kelly) and “Contagious.”

Bob Marley is the only reggae artist on this list, although others dabbled in the music, including Stevie Wonder, whose “Master Blaster” was a reggae tribute to the legendary Marley.18. Bob Marley. Why he’s this high on the list: No other person has done more for reggae music than Bob Marley. First as leader of his group, the Wailers, then as a solo artist, he achieved international fame and critical acclaim and eventually sold over 75 million records worldwide. His “Legend” album is the only reggae album certified by the R.I.A.A. as Diamond (meaning 10 million or more in sales).
Marley was a converted Rastafari whose dreadlocks were his signature look. In his short career, which ended upon his death at age 36, he brought a sense of spirituality into his music. His universal themes of love and social awareness given him success in several countries, including the UK, the US and his home country of Jamaica.
He has received several awards an honors, including Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee (1994), Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (2001), Jamaican Order of Merit (the country’s third-highest honor – 1981) and Peace Medal of the Third World from the United Nations.
Memorable songs: “One Love,” “Get Up, Stand Up,” “I Shot the Sheriff,” “No Woman, No Cry,” “Roots, Rock, Reggae,” “Exodus,” “Jamming,” “Is This Love,” “Could You Be Loved,” “Three Little Birds,” “Redemption Song” and “Buffalo Soldier.”

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
Whitney Houston’s life ended tragically in 2012, but her accomplishments during her short 48 years are legendary.17. Whitney Houston. Why she’s this high on the list: During her prime – and even beyond it – the late Whitney Houston was the princess of pop music. In 1985, just before turning 22, she melted our hearts with several #1 pop and R&B singles and a soaring voice that sent chills down the spines of many.
In the mid-1980s, her unprecedented chart successes were amazing not only because she was a woman, but because she was an African-American one at a time when it previously had been hard for black artists – especially black women – to achieve such crossover acceptance. In 1987, she became the first woman to début at #1 on Billboard’s album chart with her album Whitney. The following year, when she reached #1 with “Where Do Broken Hearts Go?” she became the first (and still the only) artist to have seven consecutive #1 singles on the Billboard Hot 100. The most prior to that had been six (the Bee Gees in 1978-79).
Her success continued with four more #1 pop hits, a rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner” that is still among the most acclaimed of all time (during Super Bowl XXV in 1991), and a critical role in one of the biggest selling soundtrack albums of all time (Bodyguard). Her “I Will Always Love You” is still the biggest-selling single by a female artist at 20 million copies sold worldwide.
Whitney’s story is a tragic one – with an abrupt ending in February 2012. But the music she gave us will live forever, and she’ll always be considered one of the greatest singers of all time.
Memorable songs: “You Give Good Love,” “Saving All My Love For You,” “How Will I Know,” “Greatest Love of All,” “I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me),” “So Emotional,” “I’m Your Baby Tonight,” “All the Man That I Need,” “I Will Always Love You,” “I’m Every Woman,” “I Have Nothing,” “Exhale (Shoop Shoop),” “I Love the Lord,” “It’s Not Right, but It’s Okay” and “Million Dollar Bill.”

Louis Armstrong famously dethroned the Beatles after they had a successive run of #1 singles for 14 straight weeks in 1964.16. Louis Armstrong. Why he’s this high on the list: As one of the most influential jazz artists of the 20th century, Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as an “early influence” on rock and roll. He was a renown trumpeter and scat singer who was also known for his gravely voice and affable character.
Most jazz musicians on this list had one thing in common: their unique ability to improvise, in life but most importantly in their music. They usually started from humble beginnings but somehow paved a pathway to prominence in music circles, gaining credibility with peers, critics and music fans alike. Louis Armstrong was no exception. The list of artists who sang Armstrong’s praises reads like a Who’s Who of Jazz, with the late Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington and Bing Crosby among them.
To me, Armstrong’s most impressive accomplishment was on the record charts, where he became the artist who finally dethroned the Beatles during their initial invasion in 1964. From January to April that year, the Fab Four had back-to-back-to-back #1 singles with “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” “She Loves You” and “Can’t Buy Me Love” each taking successive turns at the top. It wasn’t until Louis Armstrong’s “Hello Dolly” replaced that third Beatles song that someone other than group from Liverpool had a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.
He is also one of the five jazz greats name-checked in Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke” with the line: “there’s Basie, Miller, Satchmo and the King of all, ‘Sir Duke.’ And with a voice like Ella’s ringing out, there’s no way the band can lose.”
Here are just a few of Louis Armstrong’s other accolades: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Louisiana Music Hall of Fame, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame and Grammy Hall of Fame.
Memorable songs: “St. Louis Blues,” “Heebie Jeebies,” “West End Blues,” “Weather Bird,” “Blue Yodel,” “All of Me,” “Hello Dolly!” and “What a Wonderful World.”

This is a still from Prince’s Purple Rain heyday in 1984. He was arguably the most successful artist from 1984 – 1987 on the American pop charts.15. Prince. Why he’s this high on the list: Many of the artists who made it this high on the list did so on their own terms. They often waged battles with their management or their record labels to get the royalty deals that they rightfully deserved or the right to release the music they wanted and not what the label desired. A notorious example is Prince, whose long and often tumultuous relationship with Warner Brothers Records included a dark period in which the Artist at one point dropped his name in favor of an unpronounceable symbol and had the word “slave” painted on his face to reflect the tyrannical label-artist relationship he sought to change.
Before it came to that, Prince had become one of the most prolific pop, R&B, rock and even new-wave artists of an era. With a professional recording career that began with 1978’s coy but brash “Soft and Wet” and carried right on through the 1990s, Prince racked up more gold or platinum certified albums in the fifteen years between 1979 and 1996 than any other artist. This may have been due to the fact that he often released an album each year – and sometimes two, which was unheard of during an era in which most artists – particularly superstars of his caliber – would milk an album for two years and not release a follow-up for three or four.
Prince kept up this frenetic album-release pace partly to fulfill his WB contract and hasten his divorce from the label, which eventually happened in 1996. But he also did it because he could. He is said to have written and/or recorded close to a thousand songs in the past 40 years. If James Brown was the hardest working man in show business, then a strong case can be made for Prince being the second-hardest.
Besides his legendary success as a singer/songwriter, Prince was also a Svengali in music, responsible for launching (and notoriously controlling) the careers of many others, including The Time (which featured Morris Day, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis), Appolonia and Vanity Six, Sheila E., the Family (remember them?), the Revolution and the New Power Generation.
The Grammy and Academy-Award winning genius was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.
Memorable songs: “Soft and Wet,” “I Wanna Be Your Lover,” “Uptown,” “Dirty Mind,” “How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore,” “Controversy,” “1999,” “Little Red Corvette,” “Let’s Pretend We’re Married,” “When Doves Cry,” “Let’s Go Crazy,” “Erotic City,” “The Beautiful Ones,” “Darling Nicki,” “Raspberry Beret,” “Pop Life,” “Kiss,” “Sign o’ the Times,” “U Got The Look,” “Sexy MF,” “Adore,” “Thieves in the Temple,” “Diamonds and Pearls” and “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World.”

The late Jimi Hendrix is regarded by many as the greatest rock guitarist of all time – a status that cements his place in the top 20 on this list.14. Jimi Hendrix. Why he’s this high on the list: Because he’s a rock guitar god. The late Jimi Hendrix is regarded by many (fans and legendary musicians alike) as one of the greatest guitarists ever. In fact, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (to which he was inducted in 1992) refers to him as perhaps the greatest instrumentalist in the history of rock music. Rolling Stone magazine ranks him as the greatest guitarist of all time and the sixth greatest musician of all time.
Hendrix’s significance to rock and roll as a black guitarist is legendary. He basically reclaimed a genre that had been originated by the likes of Chuck Berry and Little Richard before him. But he took what those guys started and innovated a style that no one before him had done. To quote the technical terms used in Wikipedia, Hendrix “expanded the range and vocabulary of the electric guitar into areas no musician had ventured before. His creative application of such effects as wah-wah and distortion forever transformed the sound of rock and roll.”
The entry goes on to state that Hendrix “synthesized diverse genres including blues, R&B, soul, British Rock and American folk music, 1950s rock and roll and jazz.” He “contributed much to the development of hard rock, heavy metal, funk, post-punk and hip-hop music.”
The list of musicians influenced by Hendrix is long, and includes Prince, George Clinton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ernie Isley and Funkadelic’s Eddie Hazel, among countless others.
The number of accolades he has received is even more impressive: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee (1992), UK Music Hall of Fame (2005), Library of Congress recognition for his legendary album, Are You Experienced (2005), a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (1991), Grammy Hall of Fame awards for “Purple Haze” (2000) and “All Along the Watchtower” (2001).
Memorable songs: “Purple Haze,” “All Along the Watchtower,” “Voodoo Child (Slight Return),” “Foxey Lady,” “Hey Joe,” “Little Wing,” “The Wind Cries Mary” and “Machine Gun.”

Blues legend B. B. King is considered the greatest blues artist by many. He died on May 14, 2015.13. B.B. King. Why he’s this high on the list: Not many artists are so special that their guitar has a name – and that guitar also has its own Wikipedia entry. “Lucille” was actually the name given to many of this Blues King’s guitars over the years, and the story of how the guitars (mostly of the Gibson variety) got their name is better saved for another article (or you can Google it).
The late B.B. King – born Riley B. King in Mississippi – easily stands as one of America’s greatest musicians. He’s viewed by many in the music industry as one of the greatest guitarists ever (he ranks #6 on Rolling Stone Magazine’s list of all-time guitar greats). With a career that dated back to the 1949s, King was also one of the most influential blues guitarists of all time, inspiring such acts as Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, the Allman Brothers, Jimmie Ray Vaughan, and Robert Cray. King performed well into his seventies, sometimes 300 shows per year.
B.B. King carried the flag for blues music for his entire career, rarely wavering in attempts to crossover to more mainstream audiences (he did it for a bit in the 1950s but got right back to what he did best before the ’60s arrived).
Here are just some of the accolades given this iconic blues legend, a/k/a the King of the Blues: 15 Grammy Awards between 1971 and 2009, Honorary Doctorate of Music (Yale University, 1977), Blues Hall of Fame (1980), Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1987), Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (also 1987), the Kennedy Center Honors (1995), Presidential Medal of Freedom (2006), Honorary Doctorate in Music (Brown University, 2007), and a Mississippi Blues Trail marker commemorating his birthplace.
B.B. King left us just seven weeks ago in May 2015, but his legacy and his legend will live forever.
Memorable songs: “Three O’Clock Blues,” “You Upset Me, Baby,” “Everyday I Have the Blues,” “Sweet Sixteen,” “Don’t Answer the Door,” “Why I Sing the Blues,” “The Thrill is Gone,” “Chains and Things” and “To Know You is to Love You.”

Herb Ritz photo of Little Richard as displayed in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.12. Little Richard. Why he’s this high on the list: The best thing about writing this article these past four weeks is that artists who sometimes don’t get their due recognition can get recognized here. Little Richard is one of those artists who was always singing his own praises as a rock and roll pioneer during the genre’s beginnings in the 1950s, yet proper credit seemed to elude him. I’m happy to report that – amidst the many rock and roll pioneers on this top 100 list – Little Richard ranks among the two highest.
Musically, many of the other legendary rock musicians could arguably compete with Richard, who was born Richard Wayne Pettiman in 1932. But none could bring the amount of energy and excitement to music that Richard did with his performances. He was described as “dynamic, completely uninhibited and wild” by some, which was in complete contrast with most of his peers. He was flamboyant and even androgynous before either word became associated with rock music.
His records sold millions during the 1950s and he regularly crossed over to mainstream audiences at a time when segregation – even in the music world – ruled the day. His rhythm and blues songs were among those copied by the likes of Pat Boone, Elvis Presley and Bill Haley to forge rock and roll in 1956.
Fortunately for music historians and fans, Little Richard was around long enough to remind us who started it all…and he’s still here lest we forget: Little Richard is the true Father of Rock and Roll as we know it.
Memorable songs: “Tutti Fruity,” “Long Tall Sally,” “Slippin’ and Slidin’,” “Rip It Up,” “Ready Teddy,” “The Girl Can’t Help It,” “Lucille,” “Jenny, Jenny,” “Keep A-Knockin’,” and “Good Golly, Miss Molly.”

The late Nat “King” Cole was at one point in the 1940s the most successful crossover artist in the U.S.11. Nat “King” Cole. Why he’s this high on the list: Legendary soul and pop crooner Nat King Cole was born in 1919. His musical contributions began as a teenager in the 1930s and lasted until his untimely death in 1965.
First as part of the King Cole Trio and later as a solo artist, Cole released hundreds of albums and singles, many of which topped the charts before the “Rock Era” began in 1955. His immense success during the 1940s and ’50s made him a lightning rod on racial issues as he dealt with bigotry at the hands of whites, and resentment from blacks who felt he wasn’t taking enough of a stand on civil rights issues. He later became more involved in those causes as the movement grew in the early 1960s.
His death in 1965 seemingly marked the end of one era in black pop music (jazz-oriented soul crooners) and the beginning of another (Motown-influenced pop/soul). Still, his contributions to popular music cannot be overstated.
He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000, and his “The Christmas Song” is still one of the most-played songs each holiday season and of all time.
Memorable songs: “Straighten Up and Fly Right,” “The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting…),” “Get Your Kicks (On Route 66),” “Mona Lisa,” “Too Young,” “Unforgettable” (in a virtual duet with daughter Natalie), “Smile,” “Darling, Je Vous Aime Beaucoup,” “Ramblin’ Rose” and “Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer.”

Louis Jordan’s expression pretty much tells the story of this comical R&B legend. His 18 #1 R&B hits tell the other part of his story.10. Louis Jordan. Why he’s this high on the list: Many readers will likely not be familiar with Louis Jordan mainly due to the passage of so much time and that he hasn’t been around to tell his story like Little Richard and Chuck Berry have (Jordan died 40 years ago and would be 108 if he were alive today). Suffice it to say that Jordan was a pioneer in music whose popularity peaked in the 1940s. He is referred to in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as “the Father of Rhythm & Blues” and “the Grandfather of Rock ‘n’ Roll. He was a bandleader whose success on the charts was exceeded by few from the late 1930s through the early ’50s, but more importantly, he was one who was among the first to breakdown the color barrier as his songs were popular among black and white audiences.
Jordan’s music contained instrumental and vocal stylings that led to the popularization of the genre that would later be called rock and roll. The best example of this was probably his classic 1949 R&B hit, “Saturday Night Fish Fry,” a song that had all the elements of rock and roll a good seven years before the genre “began.” Jordan was easily the top artist of the 1940s as many of his songs topped the R&B charts, including “Fish Fry,” which spent 12 weeks at #1 , something that wouldn’t happen again for 45 years (R. Kelly’s “Bump N’ Grind”).
The number of accomplishments by this man would hold up well against that of any singer of any era. During the height of his popularity from 1942-50, he generated 18 No. 1 singles with another 36 that reached top ten on the “race” or R&B charts. He was the originator of novelty records, with titles like “You’re My Meat,” “What’s the Use of Getting Sober (When You’re Gonna Get Drunk Again)” – which was his first #1 record – and “The Chicks I Pick are Slender, Tender and Fine.” He was dubbed the King of the Jukebox at a time when that was the primary means of music consumption in the U.S.
He was one of the first to record “soundies” to promote his music, which were the precursors to what we now know as music videos. He was also the lead vocalist on his records, something that was unusual for jazz bandleaders of his day. One could even argue that his music served as the first true rap records, as several of his vocals were delivered in rapid-fire, syncopated, spoken-word fashion…essentially the main elements of hip-hop as we know it now.
It’s unfortunate that he isn’t more well known to music lovers of this generation, because Louis Jordan is a true legend among legends in black music.
Memorable songs: “You’re My Meat,” “You Run Your Mouth, I’ll Run My Business,” “Knock Me A Kiss,” “I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town,” “What’s the Use of Getting Sober,” “Ration Blues,” “Ain’t Nobody Here But Us Chickens,” “Ain’t That Like A Woman,” “Caldonia,” “Choo Choo Ch’Boogie” and “Saturday Night Fish Fry.”

The late troubled singer, Marvin Gaye, continues to make news today, as his “Got To Give It Up” was the subject of a landmark plagiarism lawsuit that ended in his estate’s favor in 2015.9. Marvin Gaye. Why he’s this high on the list: Love songs? Check. Protest music? Check. Carnal themes? You bet. Concept albums? Yep. Disco and funk? No problem. Whatever could be done on wax during the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s, Marvin did it. He was arguably the most versatile artist of his era…not only because of the various themes he tackled, but also for the diverse ways in which he tackled them.
For starters, Marvin had a natural three-octave vocal range, with the ability to sing baritone, tenor and falsetto – often in the same song. “What’s Going On” and “Let’s Get it On” were prime examples where all three were featured. He also used some songs to showcase just one style. For example, “Got to Give it Up” was all falsetto. “I Want You” was mostly his baritone. “I Heard it Through the Grapevine” featured his high tenor voice. All of them (along with ten of his other hits) reached #1 on either the pop or soul chart – or both.
As the quintessential artist, Gaye was the first on Motown’s classic roster to fight for his creative independence from the label’s legendary stable of writers when he grew weary of the upbeat dance and jangly pop fare he and the others had made so popular throughout the sixties. He was a troubled man living in troubled times and wanted that reflected in his music. Much of his despair was caused by the illness and death of his longtime duet partner, Tammi Terrell, followed by the ongoing war in Vietnam and acts of police brutality he witnessed against those who protested it. This personal turmoil inspired perhaps his greatest work – and the first he wrote and produced for himself: the concept album, What’s Going On.
The huge success of that album and its three singles: the title track plus “Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)” and “Mercy, Mercy Me (the Ecology),” set the stage for other Motown legends like Stevie Wonder to write and produce their own material throughout the ’70s and beyond. It’s reasonable to say that had Marvin not fought for his artistic freedom with What’s Going On and later Lets Get It On, we might not have Stevie’s Songs in the Key of Life.
All told, Marvin’s contributions were as important to soul and R&B as anyone’s. It turns out that the only thing stopping him from soaring to even higher heights was himself, with sometimes years separating his later projects due to struggles with drug addiction and taxation issues forcing him to leave the country. Case in point: there were over five years separating 1977’s “Got to Give It Up” and his next top-40 hit, 1982’s “xesual Healing.”
He died at age 44 on April Fools Day 1984 from a gunshot wound inflicted by his father. He was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987 and the Rhythm and Blues Hall of Fame in 2014.
Memorable songs: “Stubborn Kind of Fellow,” “Pride and Joy,” “How Sweet it Is (To Be Loved By You),” “Ain’t That Peculiar,” “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Your Precious Love,” “Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing,” “You’re All I Need to Get By” (the last four with Tammi Terrell), “I Heard it Through the Grapevine,” “Too Busy Thinking About My Baby,” “What’s Going On,” “Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology),” “Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler), “Trouble Man,” “Let’s Get it On,” “Come Get to This,” “Distant Lover,” “My Mistake” (with Diana Ross), “I Want You,” “Got to Give it Up” and “xesual Healing.”

Diana Ross fronted the Supremes. She’s shown in the top photo with Cindy Birdsong (who replaced Florence Ballard) and Mary Wilson flanking her.8. Diana Ross/Supremes. Why she/they are this high on the list: One doesn’t have to win many awards to be considered a master in her field. One doesn’t have to have the most powerful of singing voices to be one of the world’s greatest performers. And one doesn’t have to be well-liked to be ranked among the most respected all-around entertainers of all time!
That’s the story of Diana Ross, perhaps the most accomplished singer of all time on the American pop charts with a combination of 18 Number One singles on the Billboard Hot 100 between her Supremes hits and those on her own or with Lionel Richie. You can make it 19 if you add her contribution to USA for Africa’s “We Are the World,” which I have done for all the other contributing artists on this list.
Now some of you will try to detract from her success by saying she only had five solo chart-toppers (plus “Endless Love” with Richie) when others like Mariah Carey, Rihanna, Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson have #1 numbers in the double digits. But I think everyone will agree that Diana’s twelve #1 singles as leader of the Supremes were primarily the result of her vocals and commercial appeal. Heck, several of their songs featured background vocals by Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard that were muted to a very low volume, further showcasing Diana’s status in the group.
Now I’m not saying that Mary and Flo (and later Cindy Birdsong) were not important to the group’s huge success – rivaled only by the Beatles on the U.S. singles charts between 1964 and ’69. But even Motown’s top brass knew who the breadwinner was when he changed the name to Diana Ross & the Supremes in 1967 and later recorded several of their songs without Mary’s or Cindy’s vocals – instead opting for studio musicians to sing background.
When Diana Ross left the trio in 1969, the Supremes continued on with moderate success in the 1970s with songs like “Up the Ladder to the Roof,” “Stoned Love” and “Nathan Jones.” But Diana rose to even higher heights as a solo artist. By 1984, before the advent of Madonna, Whitney, Janet, Mariah, and the others, Diana Ross was the biggest female solo star in pop music history – having topped the chart more than any other woman.
Today, at the age of 71, “the Boss” still reigns supreme as she continues to tour to the delight of her worldwide fans. And while she may not have won a proper Grammy during her career – her only one is a Lifetime Achievement Award, she will always be considered one of the greatest entertainers in music history.
Memorable songs: “Where Did Our Love Go?,” “Baby Love,” “Come See About Me,” “Stop! In the Name of Love,” “I Hear a Symphony,” “You Can’t Hurry Love,” “You Keep Me Hanging On,” “Love is Here (and Now You’re Gone),” “The Happening,” “Reflections,” “In and Out of Love,” “Love Child,” “I’m Gonna Make You Love Me” (with the Temptations), “Someday We’ll Be Together” (all with the Supremes; “Reach Out and Touch (Somebody’s Hand),” “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” “Remember Me,” “Good Morning Heartache,” “Touch Me In the Morning,” “Love Hangover,” “The Boss,” “Upside Down,” “I’m Coming Out,” “It’s My Turn,” “Endless Love” (with Lionel Richie), “Mirror, Mirror,” “Muscles,” “Swept Away” and “Missing You.”

MOGUL93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,714 43,851 2,151
Alleybux
Billie Holiday is the top female jazz artist on this list, and the 2nd-highest ranked woman overall.7. Billie Holiday. Why she’s this high on the list: “Lady Day” – as she was dubbed by one of her accompanying sax players – could take a novelty pop song like “Yankee Doodle” and turn it into a jazz standard, then turn around and provide the musical narrative to her era’s darkest social injustices with “Strange Fruit.” She could do all of this effortlessly with a voice and vocal ability that basically set the table for the R&B and pop vocalists who would follow her in the decades to come.
Billie Holiday was the quintessential female jazz and pop music vocalist whose troubled upbringing and later adult life likely contributed to her ability to take mediocre pop songs and turn them into classic standards. After all, she had made the best of bad situations since she was a young child after her father left and her mother had turned to prostitution to make ends meet. As a teen, she was passed from household to household and eventually turned to prostitution herself before she discovered that music was her calling.
Holiday’s meager beginnings extended into her music career early on as she often recorded for labels that couldn’t afford to pay her royalties or have extravagant music arrangements to accompany her vocals. So Holiday did what she became known for – she improvised. Her ability to manipulate phrasing and tempo allowed her to infuse life into otherwise lifeless tracks. Her voice essentially became the music’s main instrument.
Holiday’s was a life filled with struggles as she battled poverty, racism, her loved ones and a drug/alcohol addiction she couldn’t kick, but she had minor victories throughout – with her music being associated with most of them. For instance, her post-incarceration performance at Carnegie Hall in 1948 won her critical praise and led to a regular gig on Broadway.
Unfortunately, that gig was short-lived, which proved to be a metaphor for Holiday’s life as she died in 1959 at the young age of 44. Still, she remains prominently placed among all jazz singers on this list and served as a musical inspiration to the many women whose careers are also documented here.
Memorable songs: “Riffin’ the Scotch,” “What a Little Moonlight Can Do,” “Twenty-four Hours A Day,” “Yankee Doodle Never Went to Town,” “I’m Gonna Lock My Heart,” “Summertime,” “Strange Fruit,” “Fine and Mellow,” “Embraceable You,” “God Bless the Child,” “Trav’lin’ Light,” “Lover Man,” “Good Morning Heartache” and “Lady Sings the Blues.”

Sir Duke was the subject of a number of famous tributes, which illustrated his indelible impact on music in the 20th century.6. Duke Ellington. Why he’s this high on the list: I believe “Sir Duke” Ellington is the greatest bandleader of all time. Born in 1899, he led his orchestra from 1923 until his death in 1974. He was a true leader in the sense that he often showcased the other musicians in his band, giving them featured spotlights and recording songs that highlighted their contributions. Several of those musicians remained with Duke Ellington’s Orchestra throughout.
Although he was a true jazz pioneer, the late Ellington was a reluctant jazz artist in that he didn’t like his music being pigeonholed in the genre, preferring instead to have his music referred to as “American Music.” For a time, especially during the 1920s and ’30s, his was the most popular brand of American music out there.
Duke Ellington gained fame in the 1920s as part of the Harlem Renaissance and particularly during his famous residency at the Cotton Club there. He was a pianist and composer who worked with many legendary musicians – several whose legends he helped create. He could excel at giving you three-minute short sides, or longer pieces that sometimes took up to four sides of a two-record set to record.
In the 1930s, Ellington introduced us to Billie Holiday (who sang on his “A Rhapsody of Negro Life,” from his short film Symphony in Black, which won an Academy Award for its category). He also later performed or recorded with Count Basie, John Coltrane, and Ella Fitzgerald – the latter of whom paid tribute to him with her “Great American Songbook” contribution, Duke Ellington Songbook.
Other tributes to him include Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke,” which was recorded two years after his death and reached #1 on both pop and soul charts, and the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical Sophisticated Ladies, which was based on Ellington’s music.
A fellow American jazz artist and music historian who died just two weeks ago, Gunther Alexander Schuller, wrote of Ellington 25 years ago:
Ellington composed incessantly to the very last days of his life. Music was indeed his mistress; it was his total life and his commitment to it was incomparable and unalterable. In jazz he was a giant among giants. And in 20th Century music, he may yet be recognized as one of the half-dozen greatest masters of all time.
With this ranking of #6 on the Greatest Black Artists list, it’s safe to say I agree with him.
Memorable songs: “Black and Tan Fantasy,” “Mood Indigo,” “It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing),” “Cocktails for Two,” “Take the ‘A’ Train,” “Black, Brown and Beige” and “Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue.”

If this list were created in 1966, Ray Charles would likely be ranked #1 .5. Ray Charles. Why he’s this high on the list: He’s simply “The Genius.” He’s arguably the creator of soul music and he ranks the highest on this list of all the pioneers of rock and roll (before it became known as such). He excelled in soul, gospel, country, R&B and rock, which makes him one of the most versatile artists on this list as well. He is in the inaugural class of inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I actually tear up just typing this as I researched some of the obstacles Ray Charles had to overcome on his way to superstardom in the 1940s and ’50s. The death of his younger brother in a drowning accident, his own blindness (at the age of seven) due to glaucoma and the eventual death of his mother. These events were excellently depicted in the 2004 Oscar-winning film, Ray, which still ranks as my favorite biographical motion-picture tribute to any musician.
Ray Charles went from childhood poverty to becoming one of the first African-Americans to land a lucrative recording contract with a major record label (ABC-Paramount Records), in which he retained control of his own master recordings. That was after an incredible stint with Atlantic Records where he had been instrumental in the founding and development of soul music. He was one of the few black artists to enjoy major crossover success during the pre-Motown era of the late ’50s/early ’60s.
Although he wrote much of his 1950s soul stuff with Atlantic Records, like “I Got a Woman,” his biggest success was with songs penned by others while he was with ABC-Paramount. Examples were 1960’s “Georgia on My Mind” (later named the state’s official song) and 1961’s “Hit The Road Jack.” His 1962 version of the country classic “I Can’t Stop Loving You” from his album Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music topped the R&B and pop charts, but failed to dent the country charts. That was no problem for Ray, who later notched that feather in his cap with the #1 country single “Seven Spanish Angels” – his duet with Willie Nelson in 1981.
Ray Charles’ further solidified his legendary status in the ’80s and beyond with his memorable ad lib performance on USA for Africa’s “We Are The World,” which reached #1 R&B and pop in 1985, and again on his collaboration with Quincy Jones and Chaka Khan on their remake of the Brothers Johnson hit “I’ll Be Good to You” – another #1 R&B hit for Charles in 1990.
All told, this Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend has left an indelible mark on American music of all genres and will forever be remembered as one of the greatest of all time!
Memorable songs: “I’ve Got a Woman,” “A Fool for You,” “What’d I Say,” “Georgia on My Mind,” “Hit the Road Jack,” “One Mint Julip,” “Unchain My Heart,” “You Don’t Know Me,” “You Are My Sunshine,” “Busted,” “Crying Time,” “Let’s Go Get Stoned,” “America the Beautiful,” “Seven Spanish Angels” and “I’ll Be Good to You.”

This photo is displayed in the Rock Hall of Fame. Aretha Franklin is the top-ranked woman on this list. Was there any doubt?4. Aretha Franklin. Why she’s this high on the list: In music history, perhaps no other record label was as important to the advancement of soul music as Atlantic Records. And no woman on the Atlantic label roster was more important to that movement than Aretha Franklin.
Sure, others have come along and tried to emulate her success while the industry created faux-music-royalty titles like “Queen of Rock,” “Queen of Pop, “Queen of Hip-Hop/Soul,” and others to legitimize their accomplishments. And while all those women have done much for popular music during the 20th century and beyond, none has done more than Ms. Franklin. The fact is: Aretha Franklin is the Queen of all that stuff and more.
While conquering soul music in the late 1960s and early ’70s, Aretha had a major impact on rock, pop, blues and just about anything else you could put on wax. Hers was the voice of black America at a very important time in African-American history. It was a voice rooted in gospel and honed through years of belting out classics like her first major hit, “I Never Loved A Man” and “Respect.”
Aretha was crowned the Queen of Soul early on and certainly consummated the title when it came to chart accomplishments. First, in the category of quantity, she’s not only managed to achieve more #1 R&B chart singles than anyone (only Stevie Wonder is tied with 20), but she also has had more Hot 100 pop chart hits than any other woman with 73. Aretha became the first woman to place 100 songs on the Billboard R&B charts just last year when her rendition of Adele’s “Rolling In The Deep” was listed, giving her a chart span of 54 years! Thus, she’s now been charting longer than any woman alive today.
She’s proved her resilience and versatility with #1 pop hits that spanned 20 years – from 1967’s soul classic “Respect” to 1987’s dance-pop “I Knew You Were Waiting for Me” (with George Michael). She even delved into a hybrid new jack/funk with the 1994 comeback hit, “A Rose is Still a Rose,” a somewhat metaphorical title produced by Lauryn Hill, which let folks know that Aretha will always be Aretha despite all the pretenders to her throne.
In 1998, Her Majesty’s nearly impromptu stand-in performance of the opera aria “Nessun Dorma” for Luciano Pavarotti at the 1998 Grammy Awards received international acclaim, further proof that – even in the latter part of her career – Aretha was one of the most versatile and vocally gifted singers of any generation.
Here’s just a sample of the awards and honors she’s received: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1987), UK Music Hall of Fame (2005), Presidential Medal of Freedom (2005), and the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame (2012). She also has honorary doctorates in Music from Harvard, Princeton and Yale.
All of these accomplishments easily make Aretha the top woman on this list.
Memorable songs: “I Never Loved A Man,” “Respect,” “(You Make Me Feel A) Natural Woman,” “Think,” “Chain of Fools,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “Spanish Harlem,” “Rock Steady,” “Day Dreaming,” “Master of Eyes,” “Angel,” “Until You Come Back to Me,” “I’m In Love,” “Something He Can Feel,” “Jump to It,” “Get It Right,” “Freeway of Love,” “Who’s Zooming Who?” and “A Rose is Still a Rose.”

The blind genius continues to build his legend today. He recently completed two legs of a highly successful tour commemorating his landmark album Songs in the Key of Life.3. Stevie Wonder. Why he’s this high on the list: As with several others on this list, one could easily ask why he isn’t ranked higher. He’s a one-of-a-kind Rock and Roll Hall of Fame musician whose talents spanned singing, playing many instruments, songwriting, producing – and doing all of this with a disability that makes all of his accomplishments in music all the more remarkable.
His career now spans 53 years, dating back to his earliest Motown recordings, including the 1963 breakthrough hit, “Fingertips.” His last #1 single was the 1986 collabo with Dionne Warwick, “That’s What Friends Are For,” but his songs have laid the sampling foundation for more recent artists, including Coolio and the #1 song of 1995, “Gangsta’s Paradise.” That smash borrowed from Stevie’s “Pastime Paradise” off his landmark album Songs in the Key Of Life. I don’t need to remind anyone over the age of 40 how significant that album was to Stevie or to music in general.
Stevie Wonder has been considered a musical genius by many. His legendary career with Motown has made him one of the most prolific singer/songwriters of all time. No other artist has had more #1 songs on the R&B chart than him (21, counting “We Are The World”). He’s also had 10 (or eleven) number one pop hits. He’s even enjoyed a renaissance the past year with his highly successful tour featuring a start-to-finish performance of his landmark album Songs in the Key of Life. I was fortunate enough to see it in 2014 and to say he didn’t disappoint would be a huge understatement.
Stevie Wonder has become my favorite artist of all time, so it was a bit tough to rank him behind two others, but my objectivity ultimately got the better of me on this one. It’s also a bit of an injustice to limit the list of memorable songs for this artist considering the many classics he’s given us over the decades. But I’ll give it a shot…
Memorable songs: “Fingertips,” “Uptight,” “I Was Made to Love Her,” “Signed, Sealed Delivered (I’m Yours),” “Heaven Help Us All,” “Superwoman/Where Were You When I Needed You,” “Superstition,” “Living for the City,” “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing,” “You Haven’t Done Nothin’,” “I Wish,” “Sir Duke,” “Isn’t She Lovely,” “As,” “Another Star,” “Love’s in Need of Love Today,” “Send One Your Love,” “Master Blaster (Jammin’),” “I Ain’t Gonna Stand For It,” “Happy Birthday,” “That Girl,” “Do I Do, ” “Ribbon in the Sky,” “I Just Called to Say I Love You” and “Part-Time Lover.”

Soul Brother Number One just missed being Number One on this all-time list of music greats.2. James Brown. Why he’s ranked this high: He’s the “Godfather of Soul.” It’s a title bestowed upon him decades ago and appropriately so. James Brown was not just any musician. He was at once a prolific dancer, a renown singer, an innovator, an activist, and a bandleader (Famous Flames, the JBs). No one else has had the kind of impact he had on so many musical genres (soul, funk, R&B and hip-hop come to mind). No one else has had the amount of influence that he had on so many other musical artists (Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson and Jay Z are just three of the highest profile examples).
Even his chart successes were unprecedented and unduplicated. The man known as “Mr. Dynamite” has charted on the Billboard Hot 100 and Soul/R&B charts more than any other artist (with the exception of Elvis on the pop charts). And that’s not even counting all the songs that sample Brown’s music.
I deliberated long and hard over which of the top three artists should be the highest. Readers can certainly make a strong case for why any of them should be #1 on this list. Certainly even Michael, if he were alive today, would probably testify about how much of an influence JB had on him. The famous dance moves, the excitement and energy on stage, and at times even the music. As a case in point, Michael famously paid homage to the man when he gave JB his “cape” while both were onstage honoring Brown during the BET Awards in 2003. In the end, after considering all the evidence, I decided that Brown should be ranked #2 because – while he was certainly influential – his music was more limited in reach. JB’s music didn’t appeal to as many audiences as the artist at #1 . His songs were also somewhat one-dimensional, for example, I can picture him shouting “hit me!” on a majority of his hit singles.
That said, here are just some of the reasons that he almost took the top spot on this list:

• Born in extreme poverty in Barnwell, South Carolina, Brown rose to superstardom to record more chart hits than any other R&B artist, including 44 gold records.
  • He recorded over 70 studio albums, 14 live albums, and four dozen compilation albums. He would sometimes release four or five albums in one year – living up to his title as the Hardest Working Man in Show Business.
  • No other singer has had more of his songs sampled in R&B and rap/hip-hop songs than JB.
  • James Brown is properly credited as the progenitor of funk music and the grandfather of rap.
  • He is one of the first to bring socially conscious music to the forefront with songs like “Say it Loud – I’m Black and I’m Proud.” That 1968 song was instrumental in changing the model for blacks, who theretofore had been referred to as “colored” or “negro.” Any earlier references to us as “black” was likely to result in fisticuffs before Brown made “black” beautiful with that civil rights-era anthem.
Like any legend worth his weight in gold records, Brown was a controversial man. He simultaneously offended blacks and whites during one of the country’s most tumultuous times. African-Americans were offended by his affiliation with the Republican Party, his endorsement of President Richard Nixon, and his non-violent stance on protest during the civil rights era. Whites were offended by the aforementioned “Say it Loud,” which, after its release, essentially ended JB’s top-ten pop crossover success in the late 1960s and beyond.
Here are just some of the accolades afforded James Brown over his career: the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (inaugural member, 1986), Georgia Music Hall of Fame (1983), Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (1992), a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (1997), Songwriters Hall of Fame (2000), BMI Urban Icon (2002), the UK Music Hall of Fame (2006), Kennedy Center Honors recipient (2003) and #7 on the Rolling Stone magazine’s list of 100 Greatest Artists of All Time. He also received the BET Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2003…an award presented to him by the late Michael Jackson.
James Brown died on Christmas Day in 2006, after which he was given an honorary Doctorate in Music from Paine College in his hometown of Augusta, Ga.
Memorable songs: “Please, Please, Please,” “Try Me,” “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag,” “I Got You (I Feel Good),” “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World,” “Cold Sweat,” “I Got the Feelin’,” “Say it Loud – I’m Black and I’m Proud,” “Mother Popcorn,” “Get Up/xes Machine,” “Super Bad,” “Hot Pants,” “Make it Funky,” “Talking Loud and Saying Nothing,” “Get on the Good Foot,” “The Payback,” “My Thang,” “Papa Don’t Take No Mess,” “Get Up Offa That Thing,” “Living in America” and “Static.”

Michael Jackson has sold more records than any other black artist – living or dead.1. Michael Jackson (solo and with the Jackson 5 and the Jacksons). Why he’s ranked Number One: It’s clear that the only reason the Jackson brothers are mentioned here is Michael Jackson. Except for a few Jermaine-led songs, Michael sang lead on all the group’s hits – either with Motown or Epic records. The group, either under Motown’s wing as the Jackson 5 or later with Epic records as the Jacksons (without Jermaine), achieved dozens of hits (including four #1 pop singles and six #1 R&B songs) with Michael as the leader. However, without him, they clearly wouldn’t be on the list.
All of that said, when you add up the brothers’ hits and that of Michael as a solo artist, he’s easily the biggest artist of the past 45 years, dating back to the Jackson 5’s 1969 début single “I Want You Back” and continuing through his and the group’s hits in the 1970s, ’80s and ’90s. Even after his death in 2009, he managed to top the charts again with several of his recordings experiencing a major sales resurgence.
But his success on the charts only tells part of the story of this icon among icons. The King of Pop took music to another level with his Quincy Jones-produced albums Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad. Their combined worldwide sales alone are approaching 150 million copies. The music videos that accompanied the songs from those albums are among the most innovative of all time. Two videos from Thriller – “Billie Jean” and “Beat It” – were instrumental in bringing black music to MTV at a time when the network had previously declined to feature such artists. The video for the title track, “Thriller,” was unprecedented – both in length and in content – and is routinely recognized as one of the best music shorts of all time.
Certainly a case could be made for either Stevie Wonder or James Brown or even Aretha Franklin to be ranked the greatest black musician of all time. But Michael’s success was nothing short of phenomenal, especially considering when the second major phase of it occurred. When Stevie, Aretha and James experienced the bulk of their success, African-American music was considered more a part of the mainstream. Soul and Motown had been big in the 1960s and a multitude of artists benefitted from its success, including Aretha, Stevie and JB. Even the Jackson 5 were beneficiaries when they hit the scene in 1969. But by the time Michael hit a resurgence in the early-1980s with his Off the Wall and Thriller albums, black music was at its lowest point in terms of radio acceptance and popularity. Michael single-handedly revived it, returning it to heights never seen in any era, and not seen since.
Michael was a worldwide figure whose immense popularity was incomparable. He was at once more popular internationally than he was domestically. His tragic death in 2009 only underscored that popularity when millions of his records were sold (again) during the ensuing months.
It has been 33 years since Thriller – the biggest-selling album of all time – was released, but the album and its videos are still having an impact on the way music and videos are produced to this day. For instance, the use of syncopated group dance routines in the music video to “Beat It” was groundbreaking in 1983, and it’s a style that continues to be employed in music videos today.
To put it simply, Michael jackson is the greatest entertainer of all time, and the #1 artist on this list. I could write an article of this length about Michael Jackson alone and break it into four parts. Even his humanitarian efforts through the years would be enough to fill one of those chapters. To limit his list of memorable songs would be a slap in the face to the many other worthy tunes that I’ll likely omit, but, just as I did for every other artist on the list, I gotta do it…
Memorable songs: “I Want You Back,” “ABC,” “The Love You Save,” “I’ll Be There,” “Mama’s Pearl,” “Never Can Say Goodbye,” “Dancing Machine,” “I Am Love” (all by the Jackson 5); “Enjoy Yourself,” “Show You the Way to Go,” “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground),” “Lovely One,” “Heartbreak Hotel,” “State of Shock,” “Torture,” (all by the Jacksons); “Got to Be There,” “Ben,” “Just a Little Bit of You,” “Don’t Stop til You Get Enough,” “Rock With You,” “Off the Wall,” “Billie Jean,” “Beat It,” “Wanna Be Startin’ Something,” “Human Nature,” “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing),” “Thriller,” “Say, Say, Say,” (with Paul McCartney), “I Just Can’t Stop Lovin’ You,” “Bad,” “The Way You Make Me Feel,” “Man in the Mirror,” “Dirty Diana,” “Smooth Criminal,” “Black or White,” “Remember the Time,” “Scream” (with Janet), “You Are Not Alone,” “This Time Around” (with Notorious B.I.G.), and “Butterflies.”
And that’s it, my countdown of the 100 Greatest Black Musicians of All Time. I hope you enjoyed it. If you missed any of the other parts, they’re available by clicking any of the following links.

Minnieme009

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,732 37 41
Alleybux
Not sure if I agree with Janet being put all the way back at 24. If anything, her and Prince are on the same level.

She's sold just as much records if not more than him, She's the 3rd best selling African American artist when it comes to concerts and selling out venues, ahead of prince, and don't get me started on her musical influence.

JadahDoll

Natural Beauty
Reaction score
Reactions
5,459 85 138
Alleybux
I feel like Sam Cooke should be higher, but I adore the man so I guess I'm biased.

I would also have a hard time deciding if James or Michael should be number 1. The writer made a strong case for MJ though, he truly was a force of nature.

Keep it cute

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,384 220 246
Alleybux
A great list, it really highlights the fact that majority of the biggest musical legends/icons are black!

Surprised Sade isn't on the list. So many people overlook her..

Patricia92

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,234 195 38
Alleybux
I don't know if it's the fan in me but Sly and the Family Stone should be higher than number 60 and higher than some of those artist on that list. They were a major influence in music in my opinion major enough to be higher than 60.
Also I'm happy to finally see someone put Janet up high on a list and give her her props.

eta: and happy to see Jackie Wilson get acknowledged because he seems to be overlooked at times.

msdeelite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
209,433 6,107 3,326
Alleybux
I feel like Sam Cooke should be higher, but I adore the man so I guess I'm biased.

I would also have a hard time deciding if James or Michael should be number 1. The writer made a strong case for MJ though, he truly was a force of nature.

theres no disputing mj being #1 imo, no artist black or white has had the impact he's had.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,456 7,010 6,890
Alleybux
Good list. Can't argue with #1 . To the font saying musicians have to play instruments, that's stupid. The voice is an instrument so all the vocalists and performers on this list belong here.

#The Voice could be higher but 17 is respectable too.

@24, lordt the shade to Jermaine.:dead:

Effortless

NoGimmicks
Reaction score
Reactions
15,017 352 188
Alleybux
This is a black list and it still named the greatest artist in the WORLD to ever live. #Wearefuckingamazing

You wouldnt be wrong! Sam cooke wrote all his hits, arranged all his music chords, sounds, instruments, even to the fµck!ng background singers. He was was more than a singer, he was an amazing artist and one of the BEST voices ever heard in life. And he was fine! He was extraordinary. Read Dream Boogie if you haven't already, he and Whit are my favs.

msdeelite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
209,433 6,107 3,326
Alleybux
i dont think this is anything to catch feelings or debate over, its this guy's opinions. going by his own criteria that he posted his list is all over the place.

Jane Williams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,168 1,376 1,251
Alleybux

A great singer is a great musician. Gladys Knight doesn't play an instrument but she uses her voice just as creatively as other musicians use their horns, guitars, piano, etc.,

Jane Williams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,168 1,376 1,251
Alleybux
You're either a musician or you're not. There's no equivocating on that. A singer or entertainer is not a musician. Singers (and entertainers) often sing and dance to the music that musicians create.

Also, you should learn the difference between a "songwriter" and a composer. Songwriters create lyrical content without any musical accompaniment, but composers are also musicians who write music through the use of musical notation. You must have knowledge of chords patterns and theory to compose music.

Rihanna and Toni Braxton are not musicians and don't compose music. They don't know the difference between a major or minor scale. All they do is sing and dance.

Toni is a very good pianist.

Legendary

this my muhf--king natural...
Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
That Top 20 list is a mofo...minus The Isley Brothers [who'd I'd replace with Miles or Chuck] I wouldn't mess with that group of people. I just can't see it! Now one could argue how the artists were ranked but not them being in the Top 20 [ie. Armstrong over Jordan] IMO. The rest outside of the 20 could fall many ways but I will be positive and simply say Tina, Ruth and Mahalia Jackson should've been higher. Anyhow, its great to see so many legends regardless. BTW, Gil Scott-Heron should've been on this list cause I didn't see him.

lub2bme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,211 182 23
Alleybux
Why is A.Keys on this list? Top 20 I agree with. I wish Marian Anderson, Richard Smallwood, Roberta Martin & or someone/all the Hawkins singers were on this list.

I don't even think you can limit it to 100. We have been blessed to have some true talent among us.

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,821 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
A great singer is a great musician. Gladys Knight doesn't play an instrument but she uses her voice just as creatively as other musicians use their horns, guitars, piano, etc.,

So Beyonce is a musician? I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Singers are singers and musicians are musicians. Singers are free of the technical aspects of creating music, and they are not essential in creating music the way actual musicians are.

Bottomline: singers sing and they accompany musicians who actually perform live music with musical instruments.

There are only a FEW RARE exceptions where singers can double as musicians, and these are vocalists like Ella Fitzgerald, Anita O'Day or Dee Dee Bridgewater. These are singers who interact with musicians or become integral members of a group of musicians. Ella Fitzgerald and Anita O'Day were famous for this, but this isn't so for 99 percent of singers.

5thDeadlyVenom

Blissfully Unbothered
Reaction score
Reactions
2,182 57 66
Alleybux

Singers are singers and musicians are musicians. Singers are free of the technical aspects of creating music, and they are not essential in creating music the way actual musicians are.

Bottomline: singers sing and they accompany musicians who actually perform live music with musical instruments.

There are only a FEW RARE exceptions where singers can double as musicians, and these are vocalists like Ella Fitzgerald, Anita O'Day or Dee Dee Bridgewater. These are singers who interact with musicians or become integral members of a group of musicians. Ella Fitzgerald and Anita O'Day were famous for this, but this isn't so for 99 percent of singers.

The bottom line is all of what you said is your opinion, but the voice is indeed an instrument. Because actual instruments aren't even needed to create music... People sing a cappella and that doesn't make it any less music because there isn't any instruments backing it. There is a technical aspect to singing and anyone who knows anything about singing or has had some sort of classical training can tell you singing is so much more than opening your mouth and letting the words come out. You are using more than your vocal cords and lungs. There is so much technique in vocal performances. And your disdain for Beyonce doesn't make her any less a musician because her voice is an instrument too.

Jane Williams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,168 1,376 1,251
Alleybux
Why is A.Keys on this list? Top 20 I agree with. I wish Marian Anderson, Richard Smallwood, Roberta Martin & or someone/all the Hawkins singers were on this list.

I don't even think you can limit it to 100. We have been blessed to have some true talent among us.

I agree more gospel artist should have been included because they were a huge influence on secular musicians.

Jane Williams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,168 1,376 1,251
Alleybux

So you're actually comparing Beyonce to Gladys Knight? Let that sink in.

The writer of Midnight Train To Georgia, Jim Weatherly, recorded it first. When Gladys and the Pips recorded it that created an entirely new song, sounds nothing like Weatherly's. Gladys and Pips were the co-producers. The group was responsible for the majority of their vocal arrangements, so that means they were in collaboration with the instrumentalists and producers. Smokey Robinson said he did the same with the Tempts. Cissy Houston is a another non-instrumentalist. She did the vocal arrangements for all of those iconic songs her Sweet Inspirations sang backup on. Cissy Houston along with Carolyn Franklin were Aretha's favorite collaborators. Please provide an example of Beyonce ad-libbing, improvising like Gladys . Give an example of a Beyonce vocal arrangements on the level of a Midnight Train To Georgia, Say A Little Prayer. Houston has worked with the likes of Yusef Lateef, Rashann Roland Kirk, Herbie Mann, Neville Brothers, some very serious musicians. You think they would have that kind of trust in Beyonce or Nickie MInaj?

You actually think those white musicians and white Jewish producers singers Gladys worked with taught her to sing like that? Hell if that could be taught they would have song the songs themselves.

https://youtu.be/J3_JQr6RqWs
https://youtu.be/meaVNHch96o

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,821 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
The bottom line is all of what you said is your opinion, but the voice is indeed an instrument. Because actual instruments aren't even needed to create music... People sing a cappella and that doesn't make it any less music because there isn't any instruments backing it. There is a technical aspect to singing and anyone who knows anything about singing or has had some sort of classical training can tell you singing is so much more than opening your mouth and letting the words come out. You are using more than your vocal cords and lungs. There is so much technique in vocal performances. And your disdain for Beyonce doesn't make her any less a musician because her voice is an instrument too.

No, it's more than an opinion. It's a fact that musicians can read, write and perform music as written, whereas the average singer cannot. You say Beyonce is a trained "musician", but she doesn't know a half-note from an eighth-note and neither does Jay-Z.

Musicianship is a skill, while singing is a "gift". Aretha Franklin, Mahalia Jackson and Sam Cooke had innate gifts for singing, but were NOT the skilled musicians that Wynton Marsalis, Nina Simone and John Coltrane are/were.

A classically-trained musician from Julliard spends years honing his/her skill as a SERIOUS musician, but you're telling me that Rihanna, Beyonce and Nicki Minaj are all skilled musicians too? There is no skill involved in what they do. None at all. What's next? All Rappers are musicians too?

Enough with the dumbing-down of art, music and culture.

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,821 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
So you're actually comparing Beyonce to Gladys Knight? Let that sink in.

The writer of Midnight Train To Georgia, Jim Weatherly, recorded it first. When Gladys and the Pips recorded it that created an entirely new song, sounds nothing like Weatherly's. Gladys and Pips were the co-producers. The group was responsible for the majority of their vocal arrangements, so that means they were in collaboration with the instrumentalists and producers. Smokey Robinson said he did the same with the Tempts. Cissy Houston is a another non-instrumentalist. She did the vocal arrangements for all of those iconic songs her Sweet Inspirations sang backup on.

Yes, I compared Beyonce to Gladys Knight because they are both singers. And no, Beyonce is not in the same stratosphere as Gladys Knight, but they both sing and don't play an instrument.

In my initial post, I highlighted the differences between musicians and singers. I also highlighted the difference between a "songwriter" and a composer. There is a difference. Duke Ellington, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Claude Debussy and Issac Hayes were all composers of music, and wrote musical scores and compositions from scratch, whereas a songwriter creates lyrical content for the most part. Duke Ellington (a composer) and Jim Weatherly (a songwriter) are not in the class and work in different areas of music.

Furthermore, you weaken your OWN argument with the repeated use of the term "Producer". I detest that word. These days, a "producer" is someone who receives too much credit for "creating music". Sean Combs, Jay-Z , and The Birdman are all producers, but they don't know shyt about writing or performing real music. Any thug off the street can be a "producer" these days.

Houston has worked with the likes of Yusef Lateef, Rashann Roland Kirk, Herbie Mann, Neville Brothers, some very serious musicians. You think they would have that kind of trust in Beyonce or Nickie MInaj?

You actually think those white musicians and white Jewish producers singers Gladys worked with taught her to sing like that? Hell if that could be taught they would have song the songs themselves.

My point exactly. Cissy was not an accomplished musician in her own right, therefore she had to "collaborate" with others who were. Issac Hayes was an accomplished musician and composer in his own right. When he wrote the musical score to 'Shaft', he didn't have to collaborate with others. He simply wrote it using his OWN musical acumen and knowledge of theory. See the difference?

5thDeadlyVenom

Blissfully Unbothered
Reaction score
Reactions
2,182 57 66
Alleybux
No, it's more than an opinion. It's a fact that musicians can read, write and perform music as written, whereas the average singer cannot. You say Beyonce is a trained "musician", but she doesn't know a half-note from an eighth-note and neither does Jay-Z.

Musicianship is a skill, while singing is a "gift". Aretha Franklin, Mahalia Jackson and Sam Cooke had innate gifts for singing, but were NOT the skilled musicians that Wynton Marsalis, Nina Simone and John Coltrane are/were.

A classically-trained musician from Julliard spends years honing his/her skill as a SERIOUS musician, but you're telling me that Rihanna, Beyonce and Nicki Minaj are all skilled musicians too? There is no skill involved in what they do. None at all. What's next? All Rappers are musicians too?

Enough with the dumbing-down of art, music and culture.

Yes it is your opinion. Everything you applying to people who play instruments applies to people who sing. Classically trained singers read sheet music. Singing isn't a gift anymore than playing the piano is. You can be naturally gifted in both areas but to master it, it requires technical training. You do know that you can go to a Performance Arts school like Julliard for singing and that for example Opera singers have to train for years to be able to expand their range and hold notes and manipulate their voices the way they do.

You are dumbing down music and arts because it doesn't fit the box of what you've decided musicianship is. However your opinion isn't the be all and end all thankfully. Yes Beyonce and Rihanna are musicians, their voice is their instrument. You don't have to acknowledge that to make it fact, but a fact it still is. There is plenty of skill involved in singing and just because you don't appreciate their voices doesn't detract from it... What you are saying is the equivalent of saying that a person who plays the drums isn't a real musician... Because they can't go to a performance arts school to master it. And with your way of thinking, Marion Anderson, Leontyne Price, Simon Estes, and Shirley Vernette aren't musicians either. Even though they have honed their voices and perfected their craft just as well as any one else who plays an instrument.

Legendary

this my muhf--king natural...
Reaction score
Reactions
376,446 1,063 209
Alleybux
Ehhh. People have for a very long time had different views on musicians & singers. Right or wrong musicians and artists are seen & used interchangeably. It won't stop guys lol. I think both matter and 99% can't do what the other does excellently [or as well as they sing or play]. I've always given a slight edge to vocalists because I can play a couple instruments [piano, drums] but will never ever, ever be a fine singer (nor composer). I'm horrible and I just don't have that talent/gift.

Anyhow, to the opinionated @MrAtlanta what's your take on #1 and #2 ?

Jane Williams

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,168 1,376 1,251
Alleybux
Yes, I compared Beyonce to Gladys Knight because they are both singers. And no, Beyonce is not in the same stratosphere as Gladys Knight, but they both sing and don't play an instrument.

In my initial post, I highlighted the differences between musicians and singers. I also highlighted the difference between a "songwriter" and a composer. There is a difference. Duke Ellington, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Claude Debussy and Issac Hayes were all composers of music, and wrote musical scores and compositions from scratch, whereas a songwriter creates lyrical content for the most part. Duke Ellington (a composer) and Jim Weatherly (a songwriter) are not in the class and work in different areas of music.

Furthermore, you weaken your OWN argument with the repeated use of the term "Producer". I detest that word. These days, a "producer" is someone who receives too much credit for "creating music". Sean Combs, Jay-Z , and The Birdman are all producers, but they don't know shyt about writing or performing real music. Any thug off the street can be a "producer" these days.

My point exactly. Cissy was not an accomplished musician in her own right, therefore she had to "collaborate" with others who were. Issac Hayes was an accomplished musician and composer in his own right. When he wrote the musical score to 'Shaft', he didn't have to collaborate with others. He simply wrote it using his OWN musical acumen and knowledge of theory. See the difference?

No I don't see the difference, Issac Hayes couldn't read a note of music, so is he still a "real" musician? How about Erroll Garner? Dave Brubeck said he couldn't read music but he could write it. Since Gladys is "just" a singer and can be lumped in with Beyonce, I can use that logic to say Kenny G and John Coltrane are both "just" saxophonist.

So you're putting clowns like Birdman under the same umbrella as real producers, musicians and composers like Holland-Dozier-Holland, Norman Whitfield, Quincy Jones, Curtis Mayfield (another non-reader), Phil Spector? Beyonce is a product of the non-musician/producer Birdman era, Gladys definitely isn't.

Gospel trained singers are probably the most versatile singers in popular music. Ella, Sarah, Dinah, Aretha, Gladys, all started out in the church and they can do anything Barbra Streisand, Anita O'Day, or Peggy Lee could do but those three definitely couldn't cover all the ground those sisters could.

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom