Quantcast

15 minute phone interview... :(

Serendipity3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,296 1,198 146
Alleybux
I am not sure what to think. There were 3 interviewers and they literally asked me like 3 questions. I applied for an internal position. I put my application in and got an email the very next day. She basically asked to set up a time and talk. She told me what the expectations where for the job and asked me 3 qualifying questions which I answered. She then proceeded to set up the main interview which I had today,

They barely asked me any questions and they were your basic run of the mill type of questions. I felt like I did okay, but it really seemed rushed. I technically already work for this dept. but in another division. I don't know what to think. This is somewhat unrelated BUT....

There is a girl I know who works in HR (HR Assistant). We are not best friends, or friends, just someone I have talked to from time to time. In the past, she applied for the position I currently have. My boss (who has now retired) told me that they would have selected her, but I was the better candidate. I have applied for jobs outside the current company and any time I do, all of a sudden she "contacts" me. A few months ago, she reached out to me because I applied for a job outside the company and I guess they called to verify things with HR. I ended up declining to move forward with the next interview because they could not match my current pay rate. I just find is suspect that her reaching out to me correlates to when someone reaches out to HR.

Today I was driving in my car with my son and I noticed that she called me today. I let it go to VM. I am not sure why she contacts me when I apply or interview for a job. I personally do not think her intentions are good but I am a bad judge of character and her contact is always when I typically interview for something. Keep in mind, I do not tell her that I am interviewing or anything like that, but I am just wandering what I should do? She may have applied for the job too which is fine, but I am not wanting to get on the phone with her to compare notes or questions.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
I am not sure what to think. There were 3 interviewers and they literally asked me like 3 questions. I applied for an internal position. I put my application in and got an email the very next day. She basically asked to set up a time and talk. She told me what the expectations where for the job and asked me 3 qualifying questions which I answered. She then proceeded to set up the main interview which I had today,

They barely asked me any questions and they were your basic run of the mill type of questions. I felt like I did okay, but it really seemed rushed. I technically already work for this dept. but in another division. I don't know what to think. This is somewhat unrelated BUT....

There is a girl I know who works in HR (HR Assistant). We are not best friends, or friends, just someone I have talked to from time to time. In the past, she applied for the position I currently have. My boss (who has now retired) told me that they would have selected her, but I was the better candidate. I have applied for jobs outside the current company and any time I do, all of a sudden she "contacts" me. A few months ago, she reached out to me because I applied for a job outside the company and I guess they called to verify things with HR. I ended up declining to move forward with the next interview because they could not match my current pay rate. I just find is suspect that her reaching out to me correlates to when someone reaches out to HR.

Today I was driving in my car with my son and I noticed that she called me today. I let it go to VM. I am not sure why she contacts me when I apply or interview for a job. I personally do not think her intentions are good but I am a bad judge of character and her contact is always when I typically interview for something. Keep in mind, I do not tell her that I am interviewing or anything like that, but I am just wandering what I should do? She may have applied for the job too which is fine, but I am not wanting to get on the phone with her to compare notes or questions.
Keep letting it go to voice mail. If for some reason she gets you off guard, tell her unfortunately you cannot speak right now, you are very busy in the middle of a task. Wish her the best.

Serendipity3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,296 1,198 146
Alleybux
Keep letting it go to voice mail. If for some reason she gets you off guard, tell her unfortunately you cannot speak right now, you are very busy in the middle of a task. Wish her the best.
What do you think she may be doing?

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,567 16,179 6,462
Alleybux
This is weird.

Is there another contact number for HR that you can direct people to for reference checks?

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
What do you think she may be doing?
Does it matter? She probably is low key stalking, but the best way to handle this is to be low key unbothered. She has an angle and an in. However as long as you are in the job, there is nothing she can do. Plus unless you confirm you are looking, she cannot say anything about you looking without potentially losing her job for sharing private information.

Therefore, do not give her the chance to say “Shelia” (just a made up name for you)”told me she was looking outside of the company when we talked”.

Don’t talk to her, nothing other than hi bish, bye bish, I’m busy bish, can’t talk.

Last edited:

Pandoras Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,288 1,932 2,340
Alleybux

it’s still work. Respond to her to hear what she wants. If it’s not appropriate, then I encourage you to be direct with her. And if she isn’t receptive or has a good reason, follow it up with an email. But tell her, “I don’t feel comfortable talking with your about..... we can continue to interact as appropriate for work, but all this other mess, no. Imma pass on that” it’s not rude, you can add your own flair to make it match your interaction, but be direct snd straight up. If she is professional she can and will respect it and move on. Work Is no different than life. Be direct. Be honest. And be respectful of others. All of this while knowing your audience and how to speak to them.

Serendipity3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,296 1,198 146
Alleybux
Does it matter? She probably is low key stalking, but the best way to handle this is to be low key unbothered. She has an angle and an in. However as long as you are in the job, there is nothing she can do. Plus unless you confirm you are looking, she cannot say anything about you looking without potentially losing her job for sharing private information.

Therefore, do not give her the chance to say “Shelia” (just a made up name for you)”told me she was looking outside of the company when we talked”.

Don’t talk to her, nothing other than hi bish, by bish, I’m busy bish, can’t talk.
This is really unsettling.

Serendipity3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,296 1,198 146
Alleybux
it’s still work. Respond to her to hear what she wants. If it’s not appropriate, then I encourage you to be direct with her. And if she isn’t receptive or has a good reason, follow it up with an email. But tell her, “I don’t feel comfortable talking with your about..... we can continue to interact as appropriate for work, but all this other mess, no. Imma pass on that” it’s not rude, you can add your own flair to make it match your interaction, but be direct snd straight up. If she is professional she can and will respect it and move on. Work Is no different than life. Be direct. Be honest. And be respectful of others. All of this while knowing your audience and how to speak to them.

Sometimes I am a bad writer so let me clarify. She and I do not work in the same office or building, in fact we have no reason to interact with each other at all. Our work will never overlap. I just met her some time ago because I worked in a very visible position.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
Sometimes I am a bad writer so let me clarify. She and I do not work in the same office or building, in fact we have no reason to interact with each other at all. Our work will never overlap. I just met her some time ago because I worked in a very visible position.
Which is why you should just ignore her. If for any reason your outside interviews become topic of discussion with anyone, you know you did not mention it. Therefore you might have a valid grievance to find out where the information came from (of course you already know).

Don’t be unsettled, be unbothered. Good luck in getting any one of the jobs you want. Think positive, do not focus on the negative things.

Dupedairies

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,684 762 621
Alleybux
She is probably trying to find out if your position will be open again. If she is in HR and is well liked it would probably be a good idea to be cordial to her. At my job when the Sup is hiring for the team, he already knows who he will hire and only sends out the listing and and interviews other candidates for appearances

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
She is probably trying to find out if your position will be open again. If she is in HR and is well liked it would probably be a good idea to be cordial to her. At my job when the Sup is hiring for the team, he already knows who he will hire and only sends out the listing and and interviews other candidates for appearances
What if she doesn’t get the outside job, or internal job and just wants to continue to sit in her job. These vultures already trying to push her out the door. Previously she had the protection of her old boss, however that person retired.

So the new boss may even be open to a new person, and may work to move the current peron out, especially if they get wind that they have been looking for an outside job. Which is why HR has an obligation to privacy, with questions both internally and externally. Particularly if the person has always wanted your job.

I say do not talk, keep your business to yourself, and do not confirm or deny any suspicions. Of course they know who they would like to fill positions if they know they will be empty. However sometimes they also give you a little push, if you not moving fast enough.

Last edited:

Dupedairies

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,684 762 621
Alleybux
What if she doesn’t get the outside job, or internal job and just wants to continue to sit in her job. These vultures already trying to push her out the door. Previously she had the protection of her old boss, however that person retired.

So the new boss may even be open to a new person, and may work to move the current peron out, especially if they get wind that they have been looking for an outside job. Which is why HR has an obligation to privacy, with questions both internally and externally. Particularly if the person has always wanted your job.

I say do not talk, keep your business to yourself, and do not confirm or deny any suspicions. Of course they know who they would like to fill positions if they know they will be empty. However sometimes they also give you a little push, if you not moving fast enough.
I didn't mean she should tell her all her business, but apparently she doesn't have to Ole girl already knew. I also don't think looking for another position is protected information. Also I think that if you get to the point that your new job is checking with your current It is best to leave, they already know you got one foot out the door. I was just saying keep it cute with old girl. A "non" friendly rep can be a detriment. How did old girl get her number? I wonder if op didn't give it to her? That info I believe is protected.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
I didn't mean she should tell her all her business, but apparently she doesn't have to Ole girl already knew. I also don't think looking for another position is protected information. Also I think that if you get to the point that your new job is checking with your current It is best to leave, they already know you got one foot out the door. I was just saying keep it cute with old girl. A "non" friendly rep can be a detriment. How did old girl get her number? I wonder if op didn't give it to her? That info I believe is protected.
She said she did give it to her long, long time ago. So everytime she’s been job hunting, with in a few days chic calls her out of the blue. They hae no connection, no interaction, are not friends, nothing. It probably is exactly what it seems like, whenever an employer calls to check work dates, this chick is like “oh that’s the job I want, let me give her a call and see what’s up”.

My suggestion is not to answer the call, or just say ‘hey girl, I can’t talk now, I am right in the middle of something”. While she may not be able to sue, it is very unethical to spread personal information, such as another potential employer called. I hope she doesn’t stress over it and just ignores the bish.

Pandoras Box

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,288 1,932 2,340
Alleybux

even more reason to follow my approach. And change it to say “our interactions should be related to specific work activities.
And reaching out to me in that capacity or HR as it relates to your work, are the only appropriate discussions. If there is more, when she says so, if it still feels odd, cc her supervisor for confirmation. As a leader if someone came to me about something I have my department doing that makes them or their team uncomfortable, I want to know. If it’s justified, my job is to clarify.

stop tip toeing with these people and be professional and direct.

Last edited:

Serendipity3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,296 1,198 146
Alleybux
She said she did give it to her long, long time ago. So everytime she’s been job hunting, with in a few days chic calls her out of the blue. They hae no connection, no interaction, are not friends, nothing. It probably is exactly what it seems like, whenever an employer calls to check work dates, this chick is like “oh that’s the job I want, let me give her a call and see what’s up”.

My suggestion is not to answer the call, or just say ‘hey girl, I can’t talk now, I am right in the middle of something”. While she may not be able to sue, it is very unethical to spread personal information, such as another potential employer called. I hope she doesn’t stress over it and just ignores the bish.

Yes, this right here. I met C a while back when I worked in the main building. C seemed nice and we ended up exchanging numbers. We would talk and text from time to time but not BFF type of thing. Almost 2 years ago "C" applied for the job I currently have and did not get the job. Regardless of that, C and I would interact at employee functions. I am trying not to stress, I just do not know her motives or why she feels the need to call me each time I interview.

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom