16 People Who Totally Called The "Game Of Thrones" Ending

jinx

casting spells
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
28,905 570 420
Alleybux
Add me to the list.....I been knew Jon Snow was going to kill Dany ....my husband was mad I told him like 3-4seasons before:ROFLMAO:

And I just knew the ending was going to be terrible....Once Dany had the dragons who could overcome her?

DUH

Cersei L

Don't want my $hit to get soggy
Reaction score
Reactions
125,610 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
Special shout out to Kelsey Hayes on Quora

Kelsey L. Hayes's answer to Why do people think Daenerys Stormborn is an incompetent governor and an idiot? - Quora

Updated June 4, 2013

Daenerys is a perfect example of how context and perception can influence, even manipulate, how people view a character. Just about every other main character has another character who interacts with them and provides context for their actions. This is why, for example, Cersei can seem pretty great to herself in her own POV (when she gets one), but other perspectives around her show what sort of person she really is.

We don't really get this with Dany. The closest thing is Barristan and Quentyn's POVs in the fifth book, and even then, you'll notice that they never interact with her directly within their own chapters. They also have a vested interest in painting her in the best possible light: Barristan has hitched his fortune to her and Quentyn wants to marry her.

All of this a long way of saying that of course Dany comes off as well-meaning and sympathetic, because we only ever see her the way SHE SEES HERSELF.

I also point to her opponents in Essos. They are either laughably incompetent enough to make her victories pretty easy (like the Astapori who after hundreds of years of selling Unsullied apparently never once thought of including a failsafe) or the most over-the-top, evil, sadistic, mustache-twirling types imaginable. Most readers see this and just think how wonderful she is for standing up to them. Few people bother to wonder why GRRM made her adversaries so one-dimensional and grotesque. I suspect it has to do with "throwing" the context and lulling people into a sense of ease with rooting for her, before she gets to Westeros and interacts with actual complex people, where she might not look quite as good. (He does this with Tyrion, too; next to Cersei and Joffrey he looks pretty good, but change the scenery and he becomes the bitter, vengeful, pathetically self-pitying person he actually was all along.)

As far as Dany's governorship, this is a person who destabilized an entire region, caused the deaths of thousands and thousands of people and who, I'm pretty sure, hasn't actually learned how not to repeat her mistakes. She gets burned by Mirri, then turns around and confides in the Green Grace, another seemingly harmless old woman who's bent on destroying her. I've studied counterinsurgency at the graduate level and can say with confidence that she's doing just about everything wrong trying to "fight" it.

She crucifies dozens of people who may or may not be guilty of any crime (she never bothers to check), she commits systemic torture, she allows the Unsullied to kill young teenage boys in Astapor based on their dress. She claims to be anti-slavery, yet she was willing to let Drogo slave to pay for an army. And then when she didn't want to pay for an army, slavery became bad again. And now she keeps uncompensated labor (read: slave labor) to do public works projects in Meereen, and allows the Meereenese to sell themselves for her profit.

She goes over the top when she should back off (torture and crucifixion), yet is often oblivious to actual threats like the Grace. Her people are starving while she eats figs and lamb on her rooftop. Apart from holding court and going to the temple to get married, she shows absolutely no interest in venturing out into Meereen or learning anything about its history and culture and families, despite wanting to rule them. She owes literally everything she has to her dragons, yet locks them up in a dungeon and ignores their training.

She still maintains that she's the rightful queen of Westeros, despite knowing very little about it and refusing to hear what sort of man her father really was. I can't wait until she has to acknowledge "Aegon," to see if her belief in legal succession can withstand someone with a better claim than her own. It's easy to support the law when she thinks she's next in line. But if she decides to take Aegon out, that makes her no better than Robert.

But, you say, she's just learning! So thousands of people in Essos should die for her "lesson"? She means well! Good intentions pave the road to hell; does meaning well erase the horror of a terrible outcome? Quentyn said Astapor was the closest thing to hell he ever hoped to see. Do good intentions excuse that?

But look at the evil people she's fighting! Which goes back to my point about context and perception -- if she has to be surrounded by the most ridiculously evil people possible to look good, is that really a high point in her favor? But, but she frees slaves! Tell that to the person digging her bean ditches. She's freed them with absolutely no long-term social and economic plan, which isn't enough.

It's actually a very smart sleight of hand on GRRM's part. Make her crusade against slavery and pit her against comic book villains, and few people will dig deeper to evaluate what she's actually doing. The result being, a lot of shocked people asking where this came from when she arrives in Westeros with thousands of mouths to feed, a desire for vengeance and not a single clue.

Dany is actually a very tragic character: someone who ostensibly means well and yet destroys virtually everything she touches, be it cities, people and societies. And people want her to be queen of Westeros? Haven't they suffered enough?

Last edited:

Gaou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
138,941 4,018 1,050
Alleybux
It's really not about the ending, it's about how much it was rushed and badly written. half the fandom was saying Dany would go crazy like her dad so it would've worked if it was done properly. But it wasn't and that's why the fans who even hated Dany were not here for the ending

Reese Pieces

Codename Voodoo
Reaction score
Reactions
207,330 4,098 1,446
Alleybux
Can I get a mention? I said season 8 was going to be trash two seasons prior to it airing. 6’11 was probably the last good episode

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,982 4,671 2,847
Alleybux
I'm proud of myself for predicting Jon getting with Dany (I used to get a lot of resistance on GOT books forum) and Arya's ending of going away at sea based on the books.

I didn't see Bran as king but I remember a theory on on the GOT forum about him having a king motif.

Flamboyant

subtle.
Reaction score
Reactions
94,034 1,289 389
Alleybux
Everyone i know IRL said Jon will kill Dany years ago...I just still can't believe Arya killed the Night King. I still can't believe the series gone out that way. Sad

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,982 4,671 2,847
Alleybux
Everyone i know IRL said Jon will kill Dany years ago...I just still can't believe Arya killed the Night King. I still can't believe the series gone out that way. Sad
I was surprised but it answered a lot of the debates I've read on GOT forums.

Like I remember fans saying she won't kill anyone important. And then in response people would say what's the point of her character, why train her in the FM? Now it makes sense.

Jon wasn't Jamie Lannister in his prime. He was a good swordsman but nothing remarkable. It called for an assassin. However, I think the show depicted her training and characterization poorly.

Arya is Frodo and Jon is Aragorn except with a bad ending.

Dahalla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,072 2,925 346
Alleybux
No one could have predicted how anticlimactic the Night kings and Cersei’s death were both should have gone down screaming and cursing

How the hell did they hype up The Long Night as the most terrifying war in the history of Westeros and then have it end so poorly and shortly.The Red wedding killed more main characters and the war of the five kings lasted longer bruh

Dahalla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,072 2,925 346
Alleybux
I was surprised but it answered a lot of the debates I've read on GOT forums.

Like I remember fans saying she won't kill anyone important. And then in response people would say what's the point of her character, why train her in the FM? Now it makes sense.

Jon wasn't Jamie Lannister in his prime. He was a good swordsman but nothing remarkable. It called for an assassin. However, I think the show depicted her training and characterization poorly.

Arya is Frodo and Jon is Aragorn except with a bad ending.
Jon snow was dumbed down so much that this Jon wouldn’t have lasted 1 month in book Westeros. The book version of him was much more cunning and clever which is why he survived so long and got to where he is now

Argentum

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
102,157 4,571 2,026
Alleybux
I remember the drags I used to get on the book forums years ago when I predicted Sansa becoming QITN and Dany going mad, well who's laughing now b!tches?

Sansa-in-power.gif

Cersei L

Don't want my $hit to get soggy
Reaction score
Reactions
125,610 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
I remember the drags I used to get on the book forums years ago when I predicted Sansa becoming QITN and Dany going mad, well who's laughing now b!tches?

Sansa-in-power.gif

Yep, I have also said Daenerys would fµck sh!t up and that Sansa would rise into a leadership position.

Dahalla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,072 2,925 346
Alleybux
Yep, I have also said Daenerys would fµck sh!t up and that Sansa would rise into a leadership position.
A font previously said that dany never really had a chance. The series and books clearly favoured the Starks, who were kind of boring, we’re always going to win they were always morally upright even Arya killed the right people, I liked characters like dany who blurred the line GRM was going to call the last book winter wolves or something like that about the starks survival