18 yr old beautiful black girl dies in Bessemer, Alabama police custody

LlLlLlLlLlLLLLl

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
22,753 1,686 359
Alleybux
Death of 18-year-old Sheneque Proctor in Bessemer City Jail ruled drug overdose, according to autopsy

2mxr6a8.png

BESSEMER, Alabama - The death of an 18-year-old Brighton woman in the Bessemer City Jail last month has been ruled a drug overdose, according to autopsy results released today to AL.com.

Sheneque Proctor was found dead Nov. 2, less than 24 hours after being arrested for disorderly conduct at a Bessemer motel. Her in-custody death sparked concern among some in the black community, leading to a petition and an online movement to get more answers in her death.

"This family deserves some answers we don't need another "I can't breathe" story. Her life mattered and still matters to her family. They deserve answers from the State Bureau of Investigations and the FBI. As Blacks we deserve answers because we know Alabama lawmakers have Open Carry Laws and it seems as if we are getting into the Open Season on Blacks,'' according to the petition posted on change.org. "We are requesting that you, Cong. Sewell, Rep. Holmes, Rep. Knight, and Sen. Ross request both State and Federal investigations in the death of this 18 year old Black female."

About 7,500 have signed the petition. Several Facebook pages also have been set up in her memory.

Proctor was arrested Nov. 1 at 2:39 p.m. after a disturbance at the Economy Inn on Ninth Avenue in Bessemer. Authorities said Proctor struggled with officer during the arrest, and the officers used pepper spray on the woman.

Police charged her with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, harassment and possession of marijuana. Officers took her to the Bessemer City Jail, where she was 'decontaminated' from the pepper spray and put into a jail jumpsuit.

Authorities and an autopsy report said Proctor showed no signs of physical injury or health problems other than the symptoms from the pepper spray. When the late-night jail staff went on duty, a corrections officer checked on Proctor at 10 p.m. That check was followed by periodic checks throughout the night and early into next day.

Justice for Sheneque.PNG
According to public records, Proctor was sleeping on her back on the bunk and snoring loudly during the routine checks. The jail officer said Proctor was last believed to be alive during the last check at 3:37 a.m.

The jail officer went back to Proctor's cell at 4 a.m. and tried to get her to come to the door for her breakfast tray. When Proctor failed to respond, the officer entered the cell, found her unresponsive and called Bessemer Fire and Rescue.

Rescue workers pronounced Proctor dead at 4:23 a.m.

According to the Jefferson County Coroner's Office, the cause of Proctor's death was complications of polydrug overdose. She had cocaine, methadone and alprazolam in her system, toxicology tests show. Polydrug overdose means a combination of multiple drugs. Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression.

The coroner's report lists the manner of death as accidental.

Efforts to reach Proctor's mother, Sherita Proctor, for comment were unsuccessful. The mother and other family members have given interviews to several media outlets, saying she suffered with asthma.

Proctor graduated from high school in May, and was the mother of a 5-month-old son.

The State Bureau of Investigation is investigating Proctor's death, which is standard for in-custody deaths. They have not released any statements about the status of their probe.

Bessemer city officials said they couldn't comment pending the SBI investigation.

Pressley

Consciousness Over Cookies
Reaction score
Reactions
482,517 14,137 13,201
Alleybux
I don't believe those autopsy results. Sorry, just don't..especially in Alabama.

Lovingme1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,061 557 321
Alleybux
Such a beautiful young lady....This is heart breaking, my prayers go out to her family and loved ones and I personally think there needs to be some more investigating if its not too late. What can we do? Should we forward this to some media networks to shed light on the story?

Reaction score
Reactions
620 12 5
Alleybux
Isn't there some sort of protocol to check people for intoxication before placing them in custody and instead taking them to a HOSPITAL? If this overdose story is true the officers are 100 percent to blame for being negligent.

Gaara

Gaara of the Sand
Reaction score
Reactions
19,254 512 278
Alleybux
They said officers, so more then one. They really had to PEPPER SPRAY her? She doesn't look like an especially strong woman.

Something isn't right. She really was a beautiful girl, so sad.

Crooklyn

Pushin' on through
Reaction score
Reactions
11,635 187 147
Alleybux
I hope she gets justice some kind of way. And yes she was beautiful..

LlLlLlLlLlLLLLl

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
22,753 1,686 359
Alleybux
Isn't there some sort of protocol to check people for intoxication before placing them in custody and instead taking them to a HOSPITAL? If this overdose story is true the officers are 100 percent to blame for being negligent.
Bessemer is lay Mayberry (Andy Griffith show) so I don't know what if ANY capabilities are there

the family doesn't believe the story

Twin87

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
299 9 5
Alleybux
So young and now her son has lost his mother , I definitely believe she was murdered

X I U

Primordial
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
19,485 568 380
Alleybux
Why do people keep emphasizing how beautiful she was? Does that somehow make her death more tragic?

Anyway, this is a sad, unfortunate, and suspicious report. Poor girl.

JustRobin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
12,948 158 23
Alleybux
I'm confused. The story does not indicate there were several checks on her from the time she was in custody until the night shift came on at 10 pm. Why were they inclined to check on her periodically at night, if there wasn't reason for concern?

LustNLuxury

Afro-American Princess <3
Reaction score
Reactions
497,686 11,252 1,829
Alleybux
This reminds me of that other young woman who died in police custody. I believe she was arrested at a restaurant and the police allegedly let her go, but then she was found dead or went missing. Does anyone remember that case? any updates?

Television

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
72,102 54 47
Alleybux
This reminds me of that other young woman who died in police custody. I believe she was arrested at a restaurant and the police allegedly let her go, but then she was found dead or went missing. Does anyone remember that case? any updates?

They 'released' her and she went missing. I've being waiting on an update on that story forever.

LlLlLlLlLlLLLLl

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
22,753 1,686 359
Alleybux
They 'released' her and she went missing. I've being waiting on an update on that story forever.
They claimed they released her...noone could corroborate this

The tapes cut as she was exiting....followed/driven away by police

TitsMcGhee

Corona Coochie
Reaction score
Reactions
177,913 2,441 813
Alleybux
I'm confused. The story does not indicate there were several checks on her from the time she was in custody until the night shift came on at 10 pm. Why were they inclined to check on her periodically at night, if there wasn't reason for concern?

Because she was pepper sprayed, and allegedly possessed marijuana, she was possibly placed in isolation/ segregation. The protocol for anyone in iso/seg is to make checks every 30 minutes and log your entry into the unit and what you did (I.e. "checked on inmates" "served breakfast") which the last check time and the time breakfast was served sounds about right as far as the course of events.

passion4posh

Cococure
Reaction score
Reactions
80,341 2,793 1,197
Alleybux
They claimed they released her...noone could corroborate this

The tapes cut as she was exiting....followed/driven away by police

Unfortunately her remains were found months later in a ravine below and several miles from the substation.no investigation conducted or charges brought.

Butterflyj82

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
441,687 29,021 1,300
Alleybux
I think the family should have a private autopsy done those thugs probably roughed her up there is no telling when she passed it's soo sad RIP and GOD Bless Her Family :bawling: