General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
190 11 1
Alleybux
2nvz6tt.jpg

From olori (blog)

Andre Walker, Oprah’s hair stylist, created a hair typing system that classifies the various hair textures for people’s natural state of hair.
Each hair type is broken down into 4 types with added sub categories. This system is especially useful when determining what products to use for your hair texture.

Afro hair generally falls under ‘Type 3′ and ‘Type 4′ of the system. Below is a list of the different curl patterns to help you identify your hair type. We have also included handy tips for each type.

Type 3- Curly (Spirals)

Type 3 hairs are curly with a definite S pattern. The curls are springy and well defined. Curly hair is easily styled with a blow dryer. Usually, the hair is full bodies, fine and not coarse.

Type 3 curl pattern is subdivided into the following three subcategories: 3a, 3b and 3c

3a curls are big and bouncy. The circumference of the curl is about the size of a quarter.
j08n4w.jpg

3b curls are usually medium sized cork screws.

The circumference of the curl is about 4mm; the size of a marker pen.
5yc0om.jpg

Tips for 3a and 3b:
-Use moisturizers and styling aids that offer curl definition
-Use products and oils that help to control frizz.
-Comb hair with conditioner in it
-Never use a comb or brush on dry hair
-Allow hair to air dry or use a diffuser
-Rake product through the hair to distribute the product

Type 3c- Curly (Corkscrews)

These curls are tight corkscrews, however it is also common to have more than one type of 3c curl pattern. The circumference of the 3c curl is usually the size of a pencil or a drinking straw. This hair type can be referred to as Kinky-Curly. The curls are usually fine in texture and are not coarse. The curls can be densely packed together or very loose. This hair type can be blow-dried straight, but the process of blow drying and maintaining the straightness may be challenging. 3c hair can get dry and requires a lot of moisture.
ve9kb9.jpg

Tips for 3c:
-Use thicker styling creams and butters
-Use moisturizing conditioner
-Be gentle. 3c hair is fragile.
-Only comb and detangle hair with conditioner in it
-Never use a brush or comb on dry hair (unless it is to create a desired style.)
-Rake product through the hair to distribute the product

Type 4 Hair- (Afro Curls)

Type 4 hair is kinky or kinky/curly with a tightly curled pattern. These coils are very bouncy and tight. Type 4 hair can vary across the board. It can be wiry, coarse, or fine with lots of densely packed coils. Type 4 hair is the most fragile since it has fewer cuticle layers to protect it from combing, brushing, blow-drying, and straightening. It can shrink from 40 to 75 % of its hair length.

4a has a visible tight cork screw pattern.

It looks like an S pattern when it is stretched out. These curls are similar to 3c curls, but smaller in diameter.

The circumference is often the size of a small knitting needle or crochet needle, and is prone to frizziness.

skxlye.jpg

2e4cmle.jpg

4b hair has a zig zag pattern, but no definite S pattern when stretched out.

The hair strands tend to have sharp angles, and a soft cotton-like feel.

33lchmg.jpg

2n1stbm.jpg

4c- hair are the tightest and most fragile curls of the pack. 4C curls have a very tightly cork screw curl pattern. The hair is extremely bouncy and springy. It shrinks up to 75% of its length. The curls do not pack densely together, but appear as individual separate strands.

105cpbn.jpg

295cmzn.jpg

Tips for Type 4:
-comb and detangle hair wet with conditioner in it
-use lots of products with moisturizing ingredients and conditioners
-do not comb or brush hair dry unless it is to create a desired style
-rake product through hair to make sure it truly covers all the hair strands

Baguette

Resident Nice Person
Reaction score
Reactions
276,541 13,983 21,368
Alleybux
They should use pure texture people to better illustrate. Using mixed texture people further complicated things.

kitten

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,381 2,047 373
Alleybux
3a-4a look the exact same to me. I'm somewhere in that area, that's all I know

Dona Beija

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
190 11 1
Alleybux
I'm 3 C and the tips are on point
my hair can't remain straight when I flat iron

sevenof8

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
144,113 3,875 1,557
Alleybux
This is interesting. I've never really known my 'type.'

And I stand by the notion that YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW IT. There are people that have been doing their hair for thousands of years without this number letter nonsense that is imprecise as the fact that plenty of people have different textures ON THEIR HEAD--myself included. And furthermore what works for one supposed 4A, will not work for another. You have to learn your INDIVIDUAL hair and see what works for it.

Not a hater, but after being in the natural hair movement for decades, I see a lot of confusion, divisiveness, and incorrect advice given to people and other people acting better or more "authentic" because of a certain letter grade that someone arbitrarily gave them.

BLAC N MILD

SteppinOnSh*t...
Reaction score
Reactions
186,720 5,286 3,248
Alleybux
And I stand by the notion that YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW IT. There are people that have been doing their hair for thousands of years without this number letter nonsense that is imprecise as the fact that plenty of people have different textures ON THEIR HEAD--myself included. And furthermore what works for one supposed 4A, will not work for another. You have to learn your INDIVIDUAL hair and see what works for it.

Not a hater, but after being in the natural hair movement for decades, I see a lot of confusion, divisiveness, and incorrect advice given to people and other people acting better or more "authentic" because of a certain letter grade that someone arbitrarily gave them.

I wish people would let this sink in through their thick heads!

I have never understood the obsession with hair typing. I have been natural for close to eleven years and this hair type nonsense is mind boggling. lol

SECCHICK

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
103 1 2
Alleybux
I've never had a desire to know my hair type. I just do what's necessary to keep my hair moisturized and protected. My curl pattern doesn't matter to me. I simply embrace it and care for it.

Bird Watcher

Reality TV Birds are my fav!
Reaction score
Reactions
52,426 902 308
Alleybux
I feel this chart is not accurate, doesn't take into account how length, hair strand diameter, texture vs kinky/curl pattern, health of hair, porosity etc in hair typing.

Finally people should not follow another person's regiment because their hair looks alike. I actually learned how to seal my ends from a woman who had relaxed hair.

Excuse my auto correct-Tapatalk-

Meenah

~~~~~~Where The Money Reside~~~~~~
Reaction score
Reactions
243,229 3,811 906
Alleybux
I'm over it. I have about 4 different types on my head. I've learned what to do or what to avoid. I've followed yt gurus whose hair I thought was close to mine only to find out their hair doesn't respond to the same things like protein. Typing doesn't help it only complicates for some people.

UberPosh

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
12,031 307 877
Alleybux
I'm 3 C and the tips are on point
my hair can't remain straight when I flat iron

My hair is the same way and I'm 3c. The way I get it straight is roller setting my hair and then flat ironing it. Basically, a blow out with no blow dryer but a flat iron instead. Its a lot of heat but I only do this once every 3/4 months. My hair stays straight for up to a month if i take care of it well.

aGOLDENbox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,787 2,580 744
Alleybux
Seeing "hair typing system" suddenly reminded me of the skin color system. That was random.

vicki

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
597 12 6
Alleybux
People take it way too serious. I like the hair typing system to learn how to style my type of hair and to learn from naturals who have my type of curls. I dont take it any more serious than that. It isn't something to be divided about.

SoufeastChick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,822 209 63
Alleybux
I think that the hair typing system is useful as a starting ground for learning how to care for your hair. Its not the Holy Grail. Just a guide to take with a grain of salt like anything else involving hair. Learning the basic characteristics of certain hair types is what helped me to figure out that I have 3 different types of curls in my head. I don't moisturize my 3c strands the same way I would my 4a or 4b strands. I have to treat each type differently.

HayleySmith

HayleyDFischer
Reaction score
Reactions
22,364 1,305 2,290
Alleybux

I wish people would let this sink in through their thick heads!

I have never understood the obsession with hair typing. I have been natural for close to eleven years and this hair type nonsense is mind boggling. lol

It is ok if you feel like it's not important for you. Good for you and congratulation on your 11 years natural. For people who feel it is important to them and for whom knowing their hair type has helped maybe you should put this in your " thick head" that s it is ok as well…:pwink:

You never understood the obsession because you never bother trying to understand. I won't bother repeating why either.If you really wanted to know you'd know by now cause people have been explaining themselves all the time about this subject.

Now,..next time you see a thread about hair typing you can just move along since its non sense to you :eyeroll:

BLAC N MILD

SteppinOnSh*t...
Reaction score
Reactions
186,720 5,286 3,248
Alleybux
It is ok if you feel like it's not important for you. Good for you and congratulation on your 11 years natural. For people who feel it is important to them and for whom knowing their hair type has helped maybe you should put this in your " thick head" that s it is ok as well…:pwink:

You never understood the obsession because you never bother trying to understand. I won't bother repeating why either.If you really wanted to know you'd know by now cause people have been explaining themselves all the time about this subject.

Now,..next time you see a thread about hair typing you can just move along since its non sense to you :eyeroll:

who the hell are you to tell me what to do? i will participate in any thread i see fit.

if my comments offend you, place my ass on ignore :eyeroll:

AshyHeelComplex

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Trying to determine my curl pattern was, without question, the most useless endeavor of my hair journey.

nicsala

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,381 425 170
Alleybux
even without a chart TYPE is an actual THING. all the women in my immediate family have different hair types and require different products and tools. there's nothing wrong with that IMO so I don't know why ppl get uptight about it. the PROBLEM is when it becomes a hierarchy.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,335 59 50
Alleybux
This mess is beyond useless. My hair doesn't fit into any category. And even if it did what would that matter?

Dona Beija

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
190 11 1
Alleybux
This mess is beyond useless. My hair doesn't fit into any category. And even if it did what would that matter?

you are probably 2. I only took black hair texture.
It matters when you are on a hair journey to keep your healthy and when you want to fulfill some goals (length retention, hydration like I do)

No one is saying that 3 is better or worse than 4, it was just informative.

Dona Beija

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
190 11 1
Alleybux
even without a chart TYPE is an actual THING. all the women in my immediate family have different hair types and require different products and tools. there's nothing wrong with that IMO so I don't know why ppl get uptight about it. the PROBLEM is when it becomes a hierarchy.

amen to that.

HongKongho

ZhangZiyisho
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
155,694 6,271 6,567
Alleybux
Some people have a mix of all curls

I know I'm not the only one

Like a great divide of different textures I would perfer to have one texture and boy do I have to blend my own damn hair

Reaction score
Reactions
2,335 59 50
Alleybux

you are probably 2. I only took black hair texture.
It matters when you are on a hair journey to keep your healthy and when you want to fulfill some goals (length retention, hydration like I do)

No one is saying that 3 is better or worse than 4, it was just informative.

No see I look at all the examples and my hair never fits into the categories. I wouldn't be a 2 for sure. I do have wavy hair but my hair is still very thick and coarse. I know if I were in any range it would be in the 3c-4b range. I feel like we just need to find our stable products. At first my hair was dry as sh!t. Then I found my staple products and I'm not having any issues with dryness. I don't have to moisturizer multiple times a day or even every day any more.

Dona Beija

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
190 11 1
Alleybux
No see I look at all the examples and my hair never fits into the categories. I wouldn't be a 2 for sure. I do have wavy hair but my hair is still very thick and coarse. I know if I were in any range it would be in the 3c-4b range. I feel like we just need to find our stable products. At first my hair was dry as sh!t. Then I found my staple products and I'm not having any issues with dryness. I don't have to moisturizer multiple times a day or even every day any more.

You're lucky then. I use my spray twice a day. And thrice a week I do the LOC method.

But I only have 2 shampoos and conditionners a month along with my homemade masks. It works wonders to let the hair be.
You are probably multitextured. I'm mostly 3 C but I have 4 b or c (edges areas).
My hair is mostly thick but in the back of my head it's thin and wavier. The rest is frizzy/curly

Reaction score
Reactions
2,335 59 50
Alleybux

You're lucky then. I use my spray twice a day. And thrice a week I do the LOC method.

But I only have 2 shampoos and conditionners a month along with my homemade masks. It works wonders to let the hair be.
You are probably multitextured. I'm mostly 3 C but I have 4 b or c (edges areas).
My hair is mostly thick but in the back of my head it's thin and wavier. The rest is frizzy/curly

Yea I'm multiple textured. Have you tried any sheamoisture product or any natural oils?

Dona Beija

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
190 11 1
Alleybux
Yea I'm multiple textured. Have you tried any sheamoisture product or any natural oils?
yep grapeseed oil :shame: my ultimate daily oil, at times mango butter, & everyday essential oils, phytokeratin, proteins & vitamine b = my regimen