Quantcast

2021 Tennis Season

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,083 18,348 2,704
Alleybux
Yup! They begged her to work out a compromise and her team left them on read smh But sis still spoke to the Japanese media she has a contract with. A joke.
Funny. She also uses the media to push her endorsements but doesn't want to speak to the media. Of course she speaks to Japan. But she has mental health issues.

See this is what happens when you give a 23 year old 55 million dollars. These kids have it easy today. They don't have to earn it. They're given it.

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,083 18,348 2,704
Alleybux
Naomi's sister, Mari, created a thread on Reddit defending her but ended up making it worse. She ended up deleting the thread and her account. Who is helping these girls? I support Naomi but good lord. They both sound so.....inarticulate.

She should've just sat there and ate her food. Now she's getting the attention she didn't want.

livingposh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
31,623 1,315 607
Alleybux
Naomi's sister, Mari, created a thread on Reddit defending her but ended up making it worse. She ended up deleting the thread and her account. Who is helping these girls? I support Naomi but good lord. They both sound so.....inarticulate.

Lol trash
Girl grow tf up and get a sports psychologist

Reaction score
Reactions
4,748 266 266
Alleybux
I don' believe Barty is going to win the French this year. Coco's got a good shot. Queen Rena most def. will not win RG21; she's not ready.

KeiraNyongo

iSlay
Reaction score
Reactions
401,976 21,032 26,976
Alleybux
I don' believe Barty is going to win the French this year. Coco's got a good shot. Queen Rena most def. will not win RG21; she's not ready.

Her serves and first serve percentage would have to dramatically improve in order to win a slam. That's the one major skill she is lacking but she showed promise in Parma - served much better and cut back on the unforced errors.

If Barty is healthy, she is going to be threat. Iga's clay form is still solid and Sabalenka's too.

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,083 18,348 2,704
Alleybux
Naomi is being threatened with fines and possible default by all all grand slams. This is not good
I don't feel bad for her. She thought she was above it all. Just a few days ago she was at a Lakers game and ended training early. So clearly she's not taking training seriously. She has no issues speaking to Japan and pushing her endorsements. Now she wants to cry. Girl get a therapist and do your job. Other players are speaking out and agree that the media is part of the job and makes you money.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux

Oh Mari!

I get trying to help Naomi because she isn’t making any statements herself but she definitely made it way worse.

As she correctly noted in her follow up message yes it does look very strategic in terms of it just looking like she’s blocking out the noise rather than it truly being about not being able to mentally handle it.

Get a sports psychologist Naomi, claiming you’re doing it for your mental health and by extension are standing up for all tennis players is clearly not true and now it makes me think all 4 GS directors teaming up with that statement is pointless since she’s not gonna try this for other surfaces since she’s actually good at those (well not Wimbledon lol).

I guess she must have figured since the other surfaces aren’t on clay she could pull this BS only for French Open and then go back to doing press conferences since she doesn’t hate those surfaces but boo it don’t work like that, get tougher and just do the conferences for 15 whole minutes and go back to enjoying your millions.

dancingonmyown

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,145 387 113
Alleybux
Now she's getting the attention she didn't want.

And that's the biggest irony of this whole mess. Naomi did all of this (at least that's how it's come across) because she didn't want to deal with the heat and focus on her poor form on the clay coming into the French Open.

Yet, funny enough, there wasn't a lot of focus on Naomi coming into the French BECAUSE she hasn't exactly been stellar during the the pre-RG tournaments, which means she wasn't considered a favorite.

Tennis media as is the case every French Open was focused on Rafa and his possibly winning 21 and there's interest surrounding Federer as his form is a big question mark. For the women, as usual there is interest in Serena as she too is a big of a question mark but expectations are on Iga and even Sabalenka coming into the Open. No one was really focused on Naomi until this little move of hers.

Here's the thing, she's not entirely wrong about the annoyance and yes, even emotionally stressful experience of these post-match conferences. No, it's not fun for someone who may be already doubting themselves, who is maybe struggling to have to face a room of media asking them the same tired questions and making them feel worse with their questions.

So as others noted, she could have addressed that weeks in advance to the RG officials, make a case for maybe certain conditions of the post match conference to be changed or adjusted. Instead she waits a few days before the tournament starts and unprofessionally posts some not very articulate message on her Instagram and then refuses to even engage with the officials when they reach out after.

Once again, yes, these conferences aren't always the best experience. I'm sure Thiem loved doing that press conference after his first round loss, likely fielding questions about his form and what's going on with him physically and mentally. Federer has had to field numerous "so like you're almost 40 and have only won one match since returning, thinking about retirement yet" questions. But they suck it up and deal with it.

I absolutely agree with many that Naomi needs to hire a PR team to handle her messaging because girlfriend is just a mess when it comes to articulating herself and so her message just gets muddled and we end up with the current sh!t show that's going on right now.

NYCbrownstone

Dual Power
Reaction score
Reactions
33,213 1,074 445
Alleybux
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I’m finding Naomi increasingly irritating and insufferable. I feel like she will always take the route which paints her as some saintly helpless victim, when she’s far from it. She also seems kind of dumb. Like damn, AAAALLLLL of this drama because she isn’t that good on clay? A problem many tennis players have had and dealt with?

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
I am shocked she withdrew but I don’t feel sorry for her.

She even acknowledged that the press is nice to her.

Her having anxiety because she has to answer questions and it makes her nervous (sounds like whether she wins or loses) is a real legit thing and I get it but she needs to work on that with a sports psychologist or something not just decide she’s not going to do press for this one tournament and then say she’s doing it for all of the players.

If she has felt this way since 2018 she should have been working on it in any way she could.

I guess the first step to help is admitting a problem so this is good.

Too bad she is withdrawing, that’s more privilege there since most tennis players can’t afford to just drop out of a tournament especially a GS but ya know with $55 million in the bank she’s fine.

BohemianFlair

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,902 141 30
Alleybux
Sad for Naomi. I think she must really be struggling with something. Did she break up with Cordae?

Naomi wasn't the biggest threat this tournament but Serena better take this spotlight being off her as an opportunity.

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,083 18,348 2,704
Alleybux
Groan me but her post is so PR. Girl you weren't that damn sad making millions and getting press after 2018. Literally the press was Naomi beat Serena. The next Serena. Get some therapy. Where's her team? Who's around her? Naomi sounds like she can't take or handle defeat or the heat. All this because she sucks on clay. If you suck work on your game. She probably didn't expect this to blow up the way it did. It's clay. She shouldn't have showed up if she didn't want to be there

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
Also poor Serena man, since she specifically mentioned the 2018 US Open you KNOW they are about to be all up in Serena’s grill blaming her for Naomi’s depression.

Dancelover51

Immunity
Reaction score
Reactions
33,064 850 276
Alleybux
I am so sick of these new-age week minded players, male and female. I do not take mental illness lightly but people are using the new spotlight on mental illness as a crutch and a way to perform publicity stunts. Naomi has not had to deal with 1/10 the sh*t that Venus and Serena had to go through. Seles was stabbed on court and had her career halted and did not whine and complain.

Naomi brought all this attention she claimed she did not want which I don't believe.

Shout out to the O.G. tennis greats who who did their job and shut up about it.

Giantslegggo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,305 699 103
Alleybux
Sad for Naomi. I think she must really be struggling with something. Did she break up with Cordae?

Naomi wasn't the biggest threat this tournament but Serena better take this spotlight being off her as an opportunity.
lawwwd....Serena is playing at 3pm ET ( in about 45 minutes)...the first night match EVER at the french open....hopefully she can focus and WIN after this huge shock on the womens side...

Bee97

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,932 453 9
Alleybux
I feel bad for her. Hopefully, she'll find a sport psychologist who can work with her.
The statement was probably not the most articulate, but there's definitely something to be said about the current state of sports journalism and press conferences (and not just in Tennis).

Giantslegggo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,305 699 103
Alleybux
Also poor Serena man, since she specifically mentioned the 2018 US Open you KNOW they are about to be all up in Serena’s grill blaming her for Naomi’s depression.
I was about to say..lol..why she had to mention that...she could have said since she won her first grand slam and had to deal with the new spotlight or something like that...

Dancelover51

Immunity
Reaction score
Reactions
33,064 850 276
Alleybux
I am shocked that she withdrew. WOW
I am not surprised at all and told my sister she might pull this because Naomi likes playing the victim. She knew her whimpering and crying against Serena would have her viewed as the tender demure exotical against the big bad Black woman.

She and her sister do nothing but look at comments on social media day and night. Naomi used to block people from her IG if they posted positive things about Serena on different tennis IG stories. I know they saw all the negative things being said about this stunt and realized this stunt backfired.

Giantslegggo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,305 699 103
Alleybux
So french open officials tried to talk to her and she refused. Interesting.

These damn kids are so weak. Sad because you're bad at clay. Girl you made 55 million. Get a therapist. Improve your game. Crazy how other players said media ia part of the job and makes them money
It was basically unanimous....just about all the players who were asked said they had no problem doing press conferences and that they look at it as part of their job and a way to promote the sport...

i do hope Naomi takes this time to get better...im sure traveling during a pandemic, being away from your family, representing Japon ( she gave up her american citizenship), all the money she took from companies along with the media responsibilities that comes with that.....she is probably overwhelmed....i dont know who is making her/encouraging her to do all of this if she is not happy...

Eve Elle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,267 1,587 43
Alleybux
Why did she have to bring up the USO 2018 final? People are simply going to think that Serena was the architect of her break down. So this is going to escalate now and somehow Serena will now be blamed.

Try being Venus and Serena Williams back when they first arrived on the tennis scene, they got laughed at and so much racists abuse.

I hope Naomi gets the therapy that she needs. She has made it worse for herself though because when she turns up at the next tournament that is all that the press will ask, about this situation. She should probably give Wimbledon a pass because the British press are the worst press in the world.

Dancelover51

Immunity
Reaction score
Reactions
33,064 850 276
Alleybux

Mari was up in one of the Tennis threads on here recently claiming to be Naomi's cousin arguing back and forth with folks. That is all she has time to do now since she disappointed her father by sucking at Tennis.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
Mari was up in one of the Tennis threads on here recently claiming to be Naomi's cousin arguing back and forth with folks. That is all she has time to do now since she disappointed her father by sucking at Tennis.
How do you know it was her?

Also I feel bad for Mari has to be hard to be LeToya to Naomi’s MJ.

Makes Venus and Serena both being legends even that much more impressive to me, Serena didn’t crack under the pressure of being the little sister and Venus didn’t quit once she realized Serena was the better of the two.

NYCbrownstone

Dual Power
Reaction score
Reactions
33,213 1,074 445
Alleybux
How do you know it was her?

Also I feel bad for Mari has to be hard to be LeToya to Naomi’s MJ.

Makes Venus and Serena both being legends even that much more impressive to me, Serena didn’t crack under the pressure of being the little sister and Venus didn’t quit once she realized Serena was the better of the two.
Also makes it more fascinating when you remember that Osaka’s dad specifically wanted to replicate Serena and Venus’ success with Naomi and Mari but he fell short.

Ayanami Rei

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,611 2,099 285
Alleybux
Muguruza out. She got an injury during her match. I thought she had a chance at winning the whole thing.

Ayanami Rei

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,611 2,099 285
Alleybux
Begu’s serve looks like it might be leaving her right now. She doesn’t look very confident but things can turn on a dime.

NolRinale

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,456 45 5
Alleybux
On anyone else I'd hate that outfit but because it's Serena I love it lol.

Anyway I can't imagine a universe where Serena loses to Begu so I'm going to switch over to Tsonga's match. :inlove

Kammy_Kakes

Flight Attendant Bae
Reaction score
Reactions
209,828 8,191 6,493
Alleybux
I am not surprised at all and told my sister she might pull this because Naomi likes playing the victim. She knew her whimpering and crying against Serena would have her viewed as the tender demure exotical against the big bad Black woman.

She and her sister do nothing but look at comments on social media day and night. Naomi used to block people from her IG if they posted positive things about Serena on different tennis IG stories. I know they saw all the negative things being said about this stunt and realized this stunt backfired.
I try to like Naomi but I've noticed the media definitely treats her.....differently. I dont keep up with tennis unless it's Serena honestly.

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom