Quantcast

2021 Tennis Season

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,716 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
Happy Serena won round 1, although I noticed feels like of late she’s getting more frustrated more easily (looking at her box and to the sky often, seems annoyed often), and is looking tired after each point and that is concerning to me.

I know I know she’s older and obviously a mom now but I don’t even think she was like this at the 2018 US Open and that was just after Olympia was born.

What gives?
The damn distraction of her box. If she just ditched that mana at home, trust she would win if that man is not there being a stunt queen.

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,087 18,349 2,704
Alleybux
Peep the caption y’all.

Am I wrong for wanting to scream “No! Early rounds should be easy for Serena—you have all the people in the world to scout her next opponent and have the two men she hits with model their game after that opponent to prepare her!”

I am so annoyed that he is adopting this attitude of “Yay hooray you got through an early round and those are tough!”

She has 23 GS an early round should be a walk in the park if she is prepped correctly for it!!

I truly don't understand as a coach how he is fine seeing this woman like this.

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,087 18,349 2,704
Alleybux
I guess he is trying to paint a positive picture but this is not it. The only reason these rounds are hard for her is because she refused to play tournaments. No amount of practice partners will replace match play. Serena should be on GS 27 or 28 if she had not made certain ill-advised decisions.
The baby needs to be at home. She even said she's not going to the Olympics unless her kid goes. Serena needs to choose. Her child is 4 years old not a newborn. There's no reason her daughter needs to be there.

Zebulon77

zen by design
Reaction score
Reactions
97,481 4,683 3,453
Alleybux
Why did she have to bring up the USO 2018 final? People are simply going to think that Serena was the architect of her break down. So this is going to escalate now and somehow Serena will now be blamed.

Try being Venus and Serena Williams back when they first arrived on the tennis scene, they got laughed at and so much racists abuse.

I hope Naomi gets the therapy that she needs. She has made it worse for herself though because when she turns up at the next tournament that is all that the press will ask, about this situation. She should probably give Wimbledon a pass because the British press are the worst press in the world.
I really don't think Serena has any culpability here and if the media attempts to attach it that will be called out as inappropriate.
If anything I think Naomi could benefit from talking with both Serena & Venus about their experiences with the press while on the tour.

Eve Elle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,267 1,587 43
Alleybux
I really don't think Serena has any culpability here and if the media attempts to attach it that will be called out as inappropriate.
If anything I think Naomi could benefit from talking with both Serena & Venus about their experiences with the press while on the tour.

It’s already happening. I was just listening to the radio after the broadcaster played Serena’s words of support to Naomi, with regard to this incident. The presenter commented “well perhaps you should have been kinder to Naomi during that match Serena.”

So he’s firmly setting out the bullying narrative here.

Reaction score
Reactions
15,615 676 415
Alleybux
I just realized that Venus and Coco paired for doubles at the French to try and get a wildcard for the Olympics. Since Serena is unsure whether she'll compete due to the quarantine rules (Venus would get paired with Serena if she's agreed to compete in doubles). Either way this gives Coco and Venus a chance to make history and would be a great way for Venus to close out her career.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,716 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
If anything it proves how biased and anxiety inducing the media can be. Naomi greatly respects Serena and they have a good relationship as evidence based on what Serena said. Naomi clearly never looked comfortable with interviews ever. I remember how people picked a part how they couldn't hear her because she was so quiet. She is not charismatic when speaking (or writing apparently) and they painted her as the meek Asian...it was weird. She probably just did not media train at all and focused on playing tennis. Serena is tough but she also enjoys the attention and always wanted to be Hollywood so for her it was not unbearable. Serena said it well...they are two different people. Naomi is probably in a tail spin of emotions right now and she should have been trained by her team that social media was not the route but that's what people do now a days. They post "press releases" through screenshoting notes.

Naomi is more counter culture whether fonts on here want to admit it or not. They want to call her a stunt queen but really she just socially does not fit in with tennis. She has been adamant in her way about being Haitian. She was out spoken about BLM. I think she is trapped representing a country that doesn't reflect her world view or experiences because how she acts very American. I'm glad she pulled out instead of letting the tennis org bully her and make an example out of her. She will have to regroup and come up with a strategy to deal with press in future tournaments. Personally I think she should just Marshawn on them and keep it mute and maybe pick a charity to keep plugging no matter what the question is.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
I gotta say, personally I believe that if Mari hadn't posted on Reddit I think Naomi would have continued being in the French Open, accepted her fines but also knowing full well since she's never been past the third round she wouldn't get far enough for them to default her lol.

I am sure she is annoyed with Mari but maybe it was a blessing in disguise so she can go back to LA, see her boo, and get some therapy.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
I just realized that Venus and Coco paired for doubles at the French to try and get a wildcard for the Olympics. Since Serena is unsure whether she'll compete due to the quarantine rules (Venus would get paired with Serena if she's agreed to compete in doubles). Either way this gives Coco and Venus a chance to make history and would be a great way for Venus to close out her career.

Damn poor Caty McNally then.

I know she is injured now and honestly I don't know if she is done for the season but man if Coco and Venus take the French doubles title or just work well together in general Caty is gonna be like "WTF we won like 3 titles together and you are dropping me for a legend who has like 12 GS doubles titles?!"

Lol.

I mean I am sure Caty will understand but dang lol I probably would be a wee bit salty lol.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
The baby needs to be at home. She even said she's not going to the Olympics unless her kid goes. Serena needs to choose. Her child is 4 years old not a newborn. There's no reason her daughter needs to be there.

Agreed.

Someone said something I hadn't even thought about, which was "They had that baby trapped in a hotel for 2 weeks straight in Australia when she could have been at home enjoying life"

LOL I hadn't even thought of that.

Obviously Serena loves Olympia as she should and maybe just maybe 2 weeks is a little too long to be without your mama at 3 but also if soldiers can go away for months I don't see why it wouldn't have made more sense to stick Olympia with Alexis (or grandma Oracene if she wanted Alexis to come with her to Australia for emotional support) and let her be happy in America rather than stuck with mom and dad in a hotel room because mom can't live without her.

I still can't believe Serena brought that baby to Caroline's bachelorette party, I mean clearly Caroline was somehow okay with it, but I absolutely would have been like "Nah, we are gonna be drinking and cussing and having a good time, no kids allowed".

That would have been the perfect gateway drug to leaving her with dad lol, just a few days away for a party and then back lol.

Eve Elle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,267 1,587 43
Alleybux

If this is true, I hope she didn’t dump McNally who has been with CoCo as a double pair for years.

If I’m going to take a hardline on this, who would CoCo have more success with at the Olympics, McNally or Venus? And anyhow, that may yet backfire spectacularly as they may not get the WC.

ETA. Oh I see McNally is injured okay

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
If this is true, I hope she didn’t dump McNally who has been with CoCo as a double pair for years.

If I’m going to take a hardline on this, who would CoCo have more success with at the Olympics, McNally or Venus? And anyhow, that may yet backfire spectacularly as they may not get the WC.

ETA. Oh I see McNally is injured okay

To answer your question it depends on how healthy Venus is.

I know she gets tired from the disease she has but if that isn't affecting her I would say since she has won all four GS women's double titles with Serena and 2/4 mixed doubles with Justin I am going to go with Venus since that shows she works well with different people, not just family.

I know loyalty is important but I can't think of a single good reason to pick an uninjured McNally over someone who has multiple doubles title other than not wanting to ruin the friendship (if McNally is feeling some type of way).

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,716 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
Agreed.

Someone said something I hadn't even thought about, which was "They had that baby trapped in a hotel for 2 weeks straight in Australia when she could have been at home enjoying life"

Obviously Serena loves Olympia as she should and maybe just maybe 2 weeks is a little too long to be without your mama at 3 but also if soldiers can go away for months I don't see why it wouldn't have made more sense to stick Olympia with Alexis (or grandma Oracene if she wanted Alexis to come with her to Australia for emotional support) and let her be happy in America rather than stuck with mom and dad in a hotel room because mom can't live without her.

I still can't believe Serena brought that baby to Caroline's bachelorette party, I mean clearly Caroline was somehow okay with it, but I absolutely would have been like "Nah, we are gonna be drinking and cussing and having a good time, no kids allowed".

That would have been the perfect gateway drug to leaving her with dad lol, just a few days away for a party and then back lol.
Where’s that about Olympia being at a bachelorette party?? Serena needs to realize it’s quality over quantity because sometimes no shade, I be peeping how she interacts and how tired she seems. She should take her time and do her work and enjoy her family after. Also that child is always on a screen and that is NOT good for a child. All this travel and in between time takes her away from learning and experiencing a life in a routine. Let her be a home and with that damn huzband for a minute.

Lastly they were having that baby brain swabbed daily for no reason other than their want to have her there.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
Where’s that about Olympia being at a bachelorette party?? Serena needs to realize it’s quality over quantity because sometimes no shade, I be peeping how she interacts and how tired she seems. She should take her time and do her work and enjoy her family after. Also that child is always on a screen and that is NOT good for a child. All this travel and in between time takes her away from learning and experiencing a life in a routine. Let her be a home and with that damn huzband for a minute.

Lastly they were having that baby brain swabbed daily for no reason other than their want to have her there.

Eve Elle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,267 1,587 43
Alleybux
To answer your question it depends on how healthy Venus is.

I know she gets tired from the disease she has but if that isn't affecting her I would say since she has won all four GS women's double titles with Serena and 2/4 mixed doubles with Justin I am going to go with Venus since that shows she works well with different people, not just family.

I know loyalty is important but I can't think of a single good reason to pick an uninjured McNally over someone who has multiple doubles title other than not wanting to ruin the friendship (if McNally is feeling some type of way).

Venus’ last doubles title GS win was in 2010 (Olympics, 2012) so whilst she was a superb player, I’m afraid she no longer is. It’s natural biology, she’s nearly 41, so she’s not the player that she was 11 years ago.

It is a very big risk on CoCo’s part; I’ll be happy to be wrong, and I’ll be more than pleased if they can get that title but I can only go with what I’m seeing currently; you’re only as good as your last match.

Further, it is a risk playing with someone who you’ve never played with before versus pairing up with someone who, you’ve not only played with consistently, but who you’ve won titles with.

I’m a big CoCo fan so I want her to make decisions that will benefit her.

ETA: This might all be moot anyway as don’t think McNally’s calf issue is that problematic, she apparently will be back for the grass season.

Last edited:

SuburbanHangSuite

Reclaiming my time...
Reaction score
Reactions
26,749 648 80
Alleybux
If anything it proves how biased and anxiety inducing the media can be. Naomi greatly respects Serena and they have a good relationship as evidence based on what Serena said. Naomi clearly never looked comfortable with interviews ever. I remember how people picked a part how they couldn't hear her because she was so quiet. She is not charismatic when speaking (or writing apparently) and they painted her as the meek Asian...it was weird. She probably just did not media train at all and focused on playing tennis. Serena is tough but she also enjoys the attention and always wanted to be Hollywood so for her it was not unbearable. Serena said it well...they are two different people. Naomi is probably in a tail spin of emotions right now and she should have been trained by her team that social media was not the route but that's what people do now a days. They post "press releases" through screenshoting notes.

Naomi is more counter culture whether fonts on here want to admit it or not. They want to call her a stunt queen but really she just socially does not fit in with tennis. She has been adamant in her way about being Haitian. She was out spoken about BLM. I think she is trapped representing a country that doesn't reflect her world view or experiences because how she acts very American. I'm glad she pulled out instead of letting the tennis org bully her and make an example out of her. She will have to regroup and come up with a strategy to deal with press in future tournaments. Personally I think she should just Marshawn on them and keep it mute and maybe pick a charity to keep plugging no matter what the question is.

This is exactly what crossed my mind when I heard how much flak Naomi was getting about her stance on attending the French pressers. If they insisted I attend, I damn sure would hit them with the, "I'm only here so I don't get fined" and I'd do it with a smirk on my face. Unfortunately, that kind of blatant defiance may cause her even more anxiety---she seems to be such a quiet, respectful soul.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,716 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
Serena needs therapy. Full stop. This is weird. Also she said "her daddy was busy" BS AND trust she had her nanny there. They always have the nanny there. Again this speaks to what I keep saying quality vs quantity...there is some weird guilt aspect going on here. She wants to be present all the time but then have a nanny and lost of screen time etc. This seems for appearances and that is sad. I'm sure Caroline had a REAL bachelorette party some other time that did not include Serena. Caroline is doing this for clout and to stay in good favor after she pulled that racist and gross butt stunt. Serena should have paid her dust but Serena stay chasing after white girl friendships and goals. She needs to turn this ship around or her daughter gonna end up being a sad, confused bi-racial girl chasing after white people that don't want her nor respect her.

NolRinale

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,456 45 5
Alleybux
Go go Coco! :b72

Don't want to jinx her, but I really feel she's going to go far here. I think she has a pretty decent shot up until the Fourth round (most likely against Barty).

Eve Elle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,267 1,587 43
Alleybux
Go go Coco! :b72

Don't want to jinx her, but I really feel she's going to go far here. I think she has a pretty decent shot up until the Fourth round (most likely against Barty).

I was watching Barty to today, I think she is still carrying a slight injury. She pulled out of a tournament just before this one so I’m not sure if she’s still feeling a bit of discomfort.

She didn’t look her best today, but she did enough to win.

Eve Elle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,267 1,587 43
Alleybux
Haha I love this from Venus lol

Attachments

• A07F6635-084C-446A-AB15-008F13125BCB.png
    A07F6635-084C-446A-AB15-008F13125BCB.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 27

Zebulon77

zen by design
Reaction score
Reactions
97,481 4,683 3,453
Alleybux

You make some great points/observations.
This is when we get to see the nasty, white, paternalistic side of tennis. If you notice how the French responded to Naomi. I really question if they would have treated Ash Barty with the same level of disrespect.
She needs to take care of her MH. That's most important.
Naomi might benefit from working with someone who can help her with public speaking. If she needs to keep the pressers short in order to keep her mental health solid - so be it.

Zebulon77

zen by design
Reaction score
Reactions
97,481 4,683 3,453
Alleybux
It’s already happening. I was just listening to the radio after the broadcaster played Serena’s words of support to Naomi, with regard to this incident. The presenter commented “well perhaps you should have been kinder to Naomi during that match Serena.”

So he’s firmly setting out the bullying narrative here.
The U.S. Open where Naomi won? Is the that the match you reference?
Serena is the GOAT of the WTA tour. She gets to be a diva because she earned it.
I watched that US Open match and I also watched the trophy ceremony. The interaction between Naomi and Serena can only be described as mutually sweet & kind.
During the match it's all game.
Those so-called white men know that. They just hate the Williams from Papa Williams all the way down.
They still push the narrative that Serena takes enhancements and that's the only reason she dominates. It's all BS.

PurpRayne

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,972 112 77
Alleybux
In fairness to Osaka, Serena’s behavior and attitude during this time was unhinged. When Kerber and Garbine won their grand slams against her (Serena) she smiled and hugged them. She kept her composure throughout those matches while losing. She did not give the same consideration to Osaka until it was over and she recognized how poorly she handled the situation. Yes, Osaka is shy and not a strong confident speaker yet. Hope all works out well for her.

PurpRayne

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,972 112 77
Alleybux
I
Damn poor Caty McNally then.

I know she is injured now and honestly I don't know if she is done for the season but man if Coco and Venus take the French doubles title or just work well together in general Caty is gonna be like "WTF we won like 3 titles together and you are dropping me for a legend who has like 12 GS doubles titles?!"

Lol.

I mean I am sure Caty will understand but dang lol I probably would be a wee bit salty lol.
I hope McNally gets well also. Her and Coco should be representing the US at the Olympics. They’re a proven solid team. Love their energy!
Venus has me worried, she didn’t have a good day on the court. I rather see Coco with B. Sands than Vee in the Olympics.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,716 2,897 1,014
Alleybux
You make some great points/observations.
This is when we get to see the nasty, white, paternalistic side of tennis. If you notice how the French responded to Naomi. I really question if they would have treated Ash Barty with the same level of disrespect.
She needs to take care of her MH. That's most important.
Naomi might benefit from working with someone who can help her with public speaking. If she needs to keep the pressers short in order to keep her mental health solid - so be it.
I agree. She should just work on being short and blunt and paying the pressers dust. She could get points and share about a charity.

EstaVidaLoca

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,683 451 40
Alleybux
Venus looked bad today. I don't think Coco is dumping McNally as her doubles partner. She's injured from what I read. Whatever it is, she couldn't go at Roland Garros. Plus the Olympics are on the verge of being cancelled again due to recent Covid outbreaks.

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,087 18,349 2,704
Alleybux
Agreed.

She had her in a hotel? Smdh if Serena wants to be a stay at home mom she should just do that. Men and women are away from their kids all the time. She can go on zoom to keep contact. Poor kid can't even be normal because she's in a hotel..she has her daddy and a nanny. She'll be fine

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,087 18,349 2,704
Alleybux

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
She had her in a hotel? Smdh if Serena wants to be a stay at home mom she should just do that. Men and women are away from their kids all the time. She can go on zoom to keep contact. Poor kid can't even be normal because she's in a hotel..she has her daddy and a nanny. She'll be fine
Yeah for AO they had all of the players from abroad quarantine for 2 weeks straight in Adelaide.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
LOL Khachanov is an idiot he punched his own damn racquet and because his knuckle was bleeding they gave him a medical time out.

I woulda been like "Bruh you did it to yourself, now you need to suffer the consequences" lmao.

NolRinale

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,456 45 5
Alleybux
Let's go Serena!! Hopefully she starts off strong this time. She gave Begu too much leeway during the first set of their match the other day.

Chicago2021

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,960 1,498 894
Alleybux
Let's go Serena!! Hopefully she starts off strong this time. She gave Begu too much leeway during the first set of their match the other day.
Smoked her in the first game I was like "Okay we got this!"

But now it is 1-1 and I am like "Come on let's get these unforced errors down" lol

I know we are only 2 games in of course lol.

Eve Elle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,267 1,587 43
Alleybux
Serena’s serve is looking so good right now, that should give her confidence. She should be able to deal with this girl without too much trouble.

Ayanami Rei

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,611 2,099 285
Alleybux
Nice clean first set from Serena. Buzarnescu is starting to talk to herself so that’s another good sign :LOL:

Last edited:

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom