funnywithfierce

You Tried It!
Reaction score
Reactions
191,702 35,800 1,142
Alleybux
This is sad!
210120122759-map-zawya-libya-43-people-drown-mediterranean-exlarge-169.jpg

The boat left the Libyan city of Zawya early Tuesday and reportedly capsized a few hours after departing, the UNHCR said.

"Forty-three people died and 10 were rescued after a boat carrying West African migrants capsized off the Libyan coast on Tuesday, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and UNHCR said in a Wednesday statement.

This is the first migrant shipwreck of the year 2021, the UNHCR said.

The boat left the northwestern Libyan city of Zawya early Tuesday and reportedly capsized a few hours after departing due to bad sea conditions and when the engine stopped, the UNHCR said.

The people who died were all men from West African countries, the UNHCR added.

"Survivors, mainly from Cote d'Ivoire, Nigeria, Ghana, and The Gambia, reported that those who perished were all men from West African countries," the UNHCR said.

"Hundreds of people lost their lives last year attempting to cross the Central Mediterranean, where the highest number of fatalities along a single migration journey worldwide occurred," the statement said.

"IOM and UNHCR fear that due to the limited ability to monitor routes, the actual number of people who perished in the Central Mediterranean during 2020, could be much higher," it added."

Source: 43 people drown after migrant boat capsizes in the Mediterranean - CNN

banksy212

Triggering fonts like fleas on a Cl*t,
Reaction score
Reactions
99,267 6,182 2,312
Alleybux
Rip to the ppl who drowned. Horrifying Way to die, drowning in an ocean.

Unfortunately, as climate change accelerates, more ppl will be migrating out of Africa, so we will see more drownings.

African leaders need to make conditions liveable in their respective countries.

ShadyPhaePhae

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
226,867 6,005 2,422
Alleybux
This may be a dumb question, but once rescued do they just send them back to their country? This country isn’t perfect but thank God I don’t have to risk my life like this for better living. RIP to them.

banksy212

Triggering fonts like fleas on a Cl*t,
Reaction score
Reactions
99,267 6,182 2,312
Alleybux
This may be a dumb question, but once rescued do they just send them back to their country? This country isn’t perfect but thank God I don’t have to risk my life like this for better living. RIP to them.
I’m not sure, I’m not a lawyer. But I think they stay in the refugee camps. Since these ppl sought asylum, I think under international law, you can’t send them back.

Most of the time they live in UN refugee camps in the countries they sought asylum in. It’s very hard to send them back since a lot, not all don’t carry documentation papers with them.

in short, countries can send them back but it is hard to do so since most don’t carry documentation and most have a right to seek asylum.

Again I’m not a lawyer, so fonts can correct me if I’m wrong.

Ambrosia

Snake
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
34,013 1,661 2,108
Alleybux
Rip to the ppl who drowned. Horrifying Way to die, drowning in an ocean.

Unfortunately, as climate change accelerates, more ppl will be migrating out of Africa, so we will see more drownings.

African leaders need to make conditions liveable in their respective countries.
they really should. AND the EU should be more serious about CUTTING developmental aid through government channels and go DIRECTLY to local NGOs, because these corrupt leaders use the money to finance their mistresses, wives, children in private schools abroad, while the population starves.
Germany has finally begun discussing this, its time. enough is enough

Ambrosia

Snake
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
34,013 1,661 2,108
Alleybux
I’m not sure, I’m not a lawyer. But I think they stay in the refugee camps. Since these ppl sought asylum, I think under international law, you can’t send them back.

Most of the time they live in UN refugee camps in the countries they sought asylum in. It’s very hard to send them back since a lot, not all don’t carry documentation papers with them.

in short, countries can send them back but it is hard to do so since most don’t carry documentation and most have a right to seek asylum.

Again I’m not a lawyer, so fonts can correct me if I’m wrong.
it depends. if they make it to Germany or france, they stay. forever. doesnt matter if their asylum case is rejected or they commit crimes or whatever. once Europe cant "determine which country theyre from" because many throw away their passports, they cant be sent back. Thats why many some migrant NGOs claim EU countries try to stop them setting foot on EU soil in the first place

purplecats

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,418 4,093 140
Alleybux

Where I live they rescue, provide medical care, detain, and unless other actions are taken, eventually deport.
But yeah it's sad they died like that. RIP