Myinsight

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,038 6,299 2,299
Alleybux
Carl Samson, Author at NextShark

ASIANS_FOR_BLM_3-770x409.png

Most Asian Americans feel connected to Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests, according to a new poll from global analytics firm Gallup.

Since George Floyd’s death in May, members of the Asian American community have voiced dissent toward police brutality and racial injustice. The group became a visible ally to African Americans, both in the streets and on social media.

The poll, which surveyed U.S. adults between June 23 and July 6, found that 73% of Asians feel connected to the ensuing protests — the highest among races other than Blacks (84%).

Meanwhile, 89% of Asians expressed support in such demonstrations (behind 92% of Blacks). Hispanics (70%) and Whites (59%) follow.

Interestingly, Asians had the most participation (20%) in actual protests in the past 30 days, followed by Blacks (18%), Hispanics (13%) and Whites (10%).

Eighty-three percent of Asians also felt that the protests will help draw public support for racial justice and equality. Seventy percent of Blacks, 56% of Hispanics and 49% of Whites felt the same.

The results appear to counter Asian Americans’ alleged lack of support toward the protests. In June, for one, the Boston-based Asian American Commission (AAC) noted the “deep roots of anti-Blackness within the AAPI community.”

“Asian Americans continue to benefit from the ‘model minority’ myth and our historic proximity to white privilege,” the commission said in a statement. “The fact that an AAPI police officer stood by while George Floyd was murdered is horrific and unacceptable.”

Earlier this month, a Vietnamese American entrepreneur claimed that he received threats from his own community after paying for a billboard that supported BLM.

“There’s been public calls for my lynching, within my own Vietnamese community – community that I love, a community that I have proudly served and helped build and help inspire future generations of young leaders,”
said Lê Hoàng Nguyên, an insurance company owner.

However, some Asians have expressed direct opposition to BLM. Nicky Park, a model from South California, slammed the movement as “bulls***” and called the idea of Asians standing up for Blacks as the “stupidest thing” ever.

“It’s like people have forgotten about how Black people were treating Asians for COVID,”Park noted while denying racism. “I’m just upset at how it’s focused on one minority when sh*t was literally just happening to Asians for COVID but you don’t see us acting out like this.”

Read the full Gallup report here.

Feature Image via blasianFMA

So how y’all feel about this?

Last edited:

Me3333

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,800 494 332
Alleybux

Most Asian Americans feel connected to Black Lives Matter (BLM) protests, according to a new poll from global analytics firm Gallup.

Since George Floyd’s death in May, members of the Asian American community have voiced dissent toward police brutality and racial injustice. The group became a visible ally to African Americans, both in the streets and on social media.

The poll, which surveyed U.S. adults between June 23 and July 6, found that 73% of Asians feel connected to the ensuing protests — the highest among races other than Blacks (84%).

Meanwhile, 89% of Asians expressed support in such demonstrations (behind 92% of Blacks). Hispanics (70%) and Whites (59%) follow.

Interestingly, Asians had the most participation (20%) in actual protests in the past 30 days, followed by Blacks (18%), Hispanics (13%) and Whites (10%).

Eighty-three percent of Asians also felt that the protests will help draw public support for racial justice and equality. Seventy percent of Blacks, 56% of Hispanics and 49% of Whites felt the same.

The results appear to counter Asian Americans’ alleged lack of support toward the protests. In June, for one, the Boston-based Asian American Commission (AAC) noted the “deep roots of anti-Blackness within the AAPI community.”

“Asian Americans continue to benefit from the ‘model minority’ myth and our historic proximity to white privilege,” the commission said in a statement. “The fact that an AAPI police officer stood by while George Floyd was murdered is horrific and unacceptable.”

Earlier this month, a Vietnamese American entrepreneur claimed that he received threats from his own community after paying for a billboard that supported BLM.

“There’s been public calls for my lynching, within my own Vietnamese community – community that I love, a community that I have proudly served and helped build and help inspire future generations of young leaders,”

However, some Asians have expressed direct opposition to BLM. Nicky Park, a model from South California, slammed the movement as “bulls***” and called the idea of Asians standing up for Blacks as the “stupidest thing” ever.

“It’s like people have forgotten about how Black people were treating Asians for COVID,”Park noted while denying racism. “I’m just upset at how it’s focused on one minority when sh*t was literally just happening to Asians for COVID but you don’t see us acting out like this.”

They sure have a funny way of showing solidarity by treating us like second class citizens in our own neighbourhoods.

ube1kenobi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,790 628 85
Alleybux
Nicky Park can shove it. The day she deals with folks berating her and spitting at her for passing on the virus (knowing that she never did, but people will look at her that way), that's day she will change her tune. Maybe that's why there's more Asians now supporting protests.

Otherwise...blah blah woe is me that no one is paying attention to me. I didn't even know she's a model nor do I care. She can go off to her own world and ignore everything.

chaelili

Et Dieu Créa la femme noire
Reaction score
Reactions
94,056 4,184 346
Alleybux
They’re finally ready to see us as human beings now that they’ve seen they’re not immune to being treated like second class citizens themselves? The Rona did some wonders :whistle:

yatusabespapi

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,245 4
Alleybux
This must include Indians as well as East Asians. It’s weird the younger generation of Indians even if they don’t like black people, are against systemic racism. Maybe because of their oppressive caste system back home

GiannaCubana

I’m not apologizing for being funny.
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
67,536 454 667
Alleybux
Not surprising. Many non black people of color in real life mind their business and don’t invalidate black people’s feelings. Social media is where all the trash ones come to hate and be anti black.

peaches345

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,472 5,753 3,592
Alleybux
Why do I feel like the number would be lower if they did this poll with Latinos/Hispanics
eta: they are

Last edited:

ProhibitAcct

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,900 3,760 5,631
Alleybux
They’re finally ready to see us as human beings now that they’ve seen they’re not immune to being treated like second class citizens themselves? The Rona did some wonders :whistle:
You're giving them too much credit. They'll be right back to normal after Rona.

thehoneydip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,576 181 46
Alleybux
Well at the time of his death, trump was also going around calling corona the china virus and a lot of asians were being attacked...
they aren't problack they just temporarily understood

Myinsight

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,038 6,299 2,299
Alleybux
Why do I feel like the number would be lower if they did this poll with Latinos/Hispanics

It is.

RichNatural

Wealth is silent, you gaudy label wh0res are poor
Reaction score
Reactions
279,598 7,250 820
Alleybux
I'mma be like that strict Asian parent who saw an 89% on their kid's test. "Wha happen to the other 11%?!?!"

Psalm

I groan back and sometimes I do so viciously
Reaction score
Reactions
283,912 18,832 4,093
Alleybux
I don’t care. Their white adjacent support means nada at the end of the day.

YUNGJUDAH

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,217 3,766 3,804
Alleybux
Its called good P.R. they are doing this because they know a overwhelming percentage of their business revenues come from Black ppl.

YoungBougieBlac

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
180,303 9,432 15,103
Alleybux
“It’s like people have forgotten about how Black people were treating Asians for COVID,”Park noted while denying racism.

b!tch wtf??? More like he’s forgetting how asians have treated black ppl for years. Gtfoh. They gave us this sh!t in the first place. This whole thing is China’s fault foh

Rosegold3995

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,367 677 263
Alleybux
“It’s like people have forgotten about how Black people were treating Asians for COVID,”Park noted while denying racism.

b!tch wtf??? More like he’s forgetting how asians have treated black ppl for years. Gtfoh. They gave us this sh!t in the first place. This whole thing is China’s fault foh

guess they also forgot how many blacks were treated during the Ebola Virus too...especially over in Asia....they were banned from restaurants, and any public outting...someone needs a refresher course

Kouvoulou

Reaction score
Reactions
2,843 65 57
Alleybux

Well since they care about black people ,they can say to their compatriot to stop profiting in black US neighborhoods, ,islands like Jamaica , or African countries like Kenya .touch the money.

Morticia A

pretty, strange & unusual
Reaction score
Reactions
276,364 14,386 11,149
Alleybux
Well since they care about black people ,they can say to their compatriot to stop profiting in black US neighborhoods, ,islands like Jamaica , or African countries like Kenya .touch the money.
That's why they care about black people from African countries to the hood... because of our money lmfao.

prettysummer

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
68,068 2,124 771
Alleybux
Forgive me for being negative but I don’t believe this at all. When the protests were going on I didn’t hear a peep from any other minority. LSA tried to tell y’all to stop fighting for Hispanics they don’t even want to go to school with our kids. I don’t comment on any issue that other races are experiencing because they sure don’t chime in on our plight.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,436 21,162 10,192
Alleybux
Only because white people changed their opinions first, they need to do whatever they think their white masters say.

LaurelHell

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,961 2,102 1,418
Alleybux
This is my personal account but I've had some of the asians shield me when sh!t was going out of control during the protests/riots. Now granted I live in RVA but it depends based off of location.

But I don't give people who treat black people like humans high esteem anyways. That's what you're supposed to do.

Last edited:

GiannaCubana

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
67,536 454 667
Alleybux
People on here don’t want to acknowledge this for some reason. They claim the younger generation is as racist as the previous ones, which I don’t believe at all.

Anti blackess in non black poc communities is blown out of proportion on the internet in general. Anyone that’s lived around them can tell you they mind their business most of the time. (That doesn’t mean anti blackness doesn’t exist tho).

I’ve seen so many fonts say Asian or (non white) Latino people are more racist than white people and it blows my mind cus it’s not true in the slightest.

Gill Holroyd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
93,156 2,774 1,324
Alleybux
People on here don’t want to acknowledge this for some reason. They claim the younger generation is as racist as the previous ones, which I don’t believe at all.

Did you not hear about the NYU frat students? The younger ones can just be as racist and play up to the model minority stereotype

Swan4229

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,275 137 20
Alleybux
This has been my experience as well. I was overwhelmingly surprised by how vehemently my asian friend came out vocally after Ferguson .... yes, Ferguson.

One of my old school mates works as a a lecturer at a PWC and she has been organizing petitions for change and to force her school to be more vocally and visually supportive of the BLM movement after George Floyd's death.

She wrote up a whole spreadsheet of organizations in her state that directly or indirectly support BLM and shared the addresses of congressmen so that people can write them to ask that they de-fund the police.

She has been very vocal and very active in her support for the BLM for years along with some other asians so I was surprised that so many people on LSA didn't have similar first hand experiences.

Swan4229

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,275 137 20
Alleybux
Did you not here about the NYU frat students? The younger ones can just be as racist and play up to the model minority stereotype

They were rebuked by the Asian community though. So not saying their kind isn't out there but they are not supported it seems.

CookieMonster24

Blah...
Reaction score
Reactions
49,246 1,649 265
Alleybux
Did you not hear about the NYU frat students? The younger ones can just be as racist and play up to the model minority stereotype
Ohh your referring to just Asians? Yeah, I talking about all races tbh. Young people can be racist but they’re still not as bad as previous generations.

GiannaCubana

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
67,536 454 667
Alleybux
Ohh naw, I don’t agree with this. Going up in Florida, those Hispanics were worse than the whites.

That’s one part of the country tho. I’m talking about in general. And many Latino people in Florida are white.