The Obnoxious Gentleman
Reaction score
Reactions
335,624 66,296 616
Alleybux
The Niece's Test

The Daughter's Test

Final Test with Both:

The darker doll was associated with all the negative traits, while the lighter one was associated with all of the positive traits. The daughter believed the darker doll was "dirty". To add context, the daughter said in an interview that the kids in school would ask her if she was dirty. She was the only dark skin person in her classroom. She said it was more of a curious observation on their end than cruel. Apparently the school has mostly YT or Light Skinned kids. Sadly, these results aren't unexpected whatsoever. It also shows you how quick kids can pick up on these things.

SinCndomPapi

Dominican Papi, Portofino Papi, Pacífico Papi
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
174,016 14,698 19,660
Alleybux
That was tough to get thru for other reasons

1620911129478.png

RobynsRight

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
65,930 691 638
Alleybux
I would feel as if I failed as mother or aunt if my daughter/niece repeatedly selected the white baby doll.

I hope she has some kind of way she is working on improving their self-image, because it honestly starts when you are young and only becomes more difficult the older you get.

Honey4

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
183,435 8,784 4,475
Alleybux
I inadvertently passed the doll test as a child , I went to the American Girl Store an choose a doll with my skin tone and so did my friend. Were Oprah and Whoopi coloring

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
I remember doing an improvisational drama piece based on the doll test once. It's so disheartening the way children have been conditioned.

CandidCanvas

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,663 2,118 207
Alleybux
This is sad that colorism and racism can be ingrained in black children so young. Parents have to actively and intentionally show their kids that black is good and beautiful everyday.

My parents didn't allow me or my sister to have white baby dolls. We had a few Barbies (well like 50-11), but we cherished our Christie doll because she was black and unique. The black dolls were always our favorite and top tier amongst any doll because we were taught being black is special and good.

This is why representation matters. Some people don't care, but it's psychological. It matters.

Scorpio4000

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,594 301 23
Alleybux
Wow this is sad. I think the part that tripped me out the most was when the darker child kept picking the dark doll as bad and ugly. And when the woman asked her what color is closest to hers she realized she picked the "ugly and bad" doll. Then at the end she still picked the white doll as better. Wow that is sad as hell. I guess that can show how self hate works when black people have self hatred to the point of uplifting whites. (I'm not talking about this little girl but grown adults who should know better)
And what's wrong with brown eyes?! I never understood why people dislike brown eyes so much. Not just women but I've heard men say this to that they wish they had a different eye color. Well I also used to work with a white girl that said she wished she had blue eyes instead of brown.

Letscook11

Me So Corny
Reaction score
Reactions
54,193 1,992 632
Alleybux
I inadvertently passed the doll test as a child , I went to the American Girl Store an choose a doll with my skin tone and so did my friend. Were Oprah and Whoopi coloring
Same, I chose the Addy doll back in the 1990s without skipping a beat. While my colors truck cousin was obsessed with her "Samantha" doll or some sh!t.

I feel like I would point to the white doll when asked which doll was the mean doll at any age.

Ayanami Rei

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,610 2,098 285
Alleybux
Sad especially for the darker girl to feel that way. I hated white dolls as a child.

I remember my mother buying me a white doll one Christmas because that was all that was left. I cried and told her I didn’t want that ugly white doll. :ROFLMAO:

Rich Spirit

Call me four out of five dentists because I agree!
Reaction score
Reactions
31,353 616 68
Alleybux
They stared at the darker doll more inbetween questions though. I wonder why that is.

manellejonae

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,291 179 19
Alleybux
With the doll test, it's supposed to be two dolls that look exactly alike except for skin color. Like the black and white version of the same doll. And then the dolls supposed to be naked or in the same outfit.

With children they get swayed by appearance so easily. It could be as simple as these girls picked the black doll for the negative traits because the black doll looks cartoonish while the white doll looks more like a real baby. That's why it's supposed to be otherwise the same doll.

I collect dolls, I remember years ago on the american girl collector board there use to be these stories of moms that would be pissed because they spent $100 per doll on dolls their daughters just had to have. Only to get home and the kid won't play with the dolls. Come to find out multiple kids at multiple different time, actually really just liked the doll's clothes in the store, but preferred a different doll. Kids don't always get that the clothes are separate from the doll, so they can pick based on outfit

coppertop

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
175,409 8,893 12,464
Alleybux
Wow this is incredibly sad. It's almost as if the self hate is inherent and not something that is learned, almost genetic. I would need therapy if these were my children. I might even become severely depressed. I would certainly feel like a failure as a parent.

Mandaazi

New ID: Solarsexual
Reaction score
Reactions
60,397 2,970 1,392
Alleybux
The first child had a mean eye on the brown doll from the start,lmao

I also didn't understand why the brown doll had a patch of forgotten hair on her head...but this is also the generation that supposedly has more representation on TV.
Personally, I don't think that having kids play with brown dolls means a thing, it's about what's being taught at home.
Kids that age suffer a lot from jealousy, inferiority complexes and get extremely aggressive just to fit in.
They hate to stand out, let them chose between a generic soda brand and a top shelve one, it's the top shelve brands they'll want. If everybody in class has a brown doll, then automatically they'll want a brown doll too, because everyone else has it. I wonder if that plays a role in their decision making too or if they really see themselves in a negative light.

What if they do instead of a doll test, a picture test of real babies? Or with Disney princesses? Will it have the same result?

Pearl Shay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,317 3,565 714
Alleybux
People can judge this, but test your own kids without asking them leading questions about what they're supposed to say. You'd be surprised. I know a kid with two pro-Black parents, who definitely do not hold these attitude and instill a lot of pride in their children, and one time the little girl made a comment at about 3 or 4, and I absolutely knew she was aware of these attitudes already. She didn't feel that way, but she knew that society deemed Black features, hair, and skin to be ugly and not good. We were reading a magazine together that had pictures in it. No one sat her down and said this, they pick it up.

It doesn't mean their parents have these attitudes or aren't trying to bring their kids up with self-love. The idea that we're criminal, 'bad', ugly, and problematic is EVERYWHERE. Even if you teach your kids as best as you can, they can still understand how the world works and how the world sees them. It doesn't mean that they'll always internalize external hate, but it's going to take work from parents and work, on themselves when they're older, to undo* this.

Last edited:

thoughtsabt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,908 2,571 1,508
Alleybux
Self hate is not inherent. It is taught. These kids were taught darker skin was worse. I got my black dolls growing up and was happy. I grew up to love all black dark skin tones. It is how you are raised. Because I wasn’t taught that black skin was ugly, my racist classmates couldn’t change my upbringing.

thoughtsabt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
42,908 2,571 1,508
Alleybux
Sad especially for the darker girl to feel that way. I hated white dolls as a child.

I remember my mother buying me a white doll one Christmas because that was all that was left. I cried and told her I didn’t want that ugly white doll. :ROFLMAO:
I had white dolls but early on I knew wanted black dolls. The sellers at toysrus would try to get me to choose the white dolls and I would get upset when they didn’t have the black doll. LOL

LaVieEhBelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,416 2,996 1,243
Alleybux
I would feel as if I failed as mother or aunt if my daughter/niece repeatedly selected the white baby doll.

I hope she has some kind of way she is working on improving their self-image, because it honestly starts when you are young and only becomes more difficult the older you get.

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,625 10,382 14,196
Alleybux
ALL media created by Dawights is toxic af

What A LOT of Black people don't understand is POSITIVE images of white people can be just as toxic as negative images of Black people
Why doesn’t positive images of black men have the same effect on white kids.....they look up their favorite basketball player or the best one is black. The president at one point was black, best tennis player black, all these images of professional black women

Meliodas

not here.
Reaction score
Reactions
115,317 3,061 1,403
Alleybux
nah cus i always got and wanted black barbie dolls when i was little, why tf would i want to play with a b!tch who don't look like me?

SouthernNotCountry

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
223,540 5,511 931
Alleybux

Lol! Someone had the NERVE to buy me a white Barbie once and when I opened it at my bday party I threw it across the table and said "I don't want that!". My family didn't allow white dolls, all mine were black and it's the same way in my house now. There are ways to train your kids up so these words don't give them a complex.

CherriGarcia

FKA RumTresLeche
Reaction score
Reactions
229,164 37,349 12,061
Alleybux
i don't get what showing this does.this is heartbreaking
It's needs to continued being showed. U can't keep running away from things cuz it's hurts ur feelings too many black people do this. The truth is many blacks feel the way about yt and black skin the same way these little girls do

Sophia2000

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,625 10,382 14,196
Alleybux
Self hate is not inherent. It is taught. These kids were taught darker skin was worse. I got my black dolls growing up and was happy. I grew up to love all black dark skin tones. It is how you are raised. Because I wasn’t taught that black skin was ugly, my racist classmates couldn’t change my upbringing.
But when you ask lil black boys why don’t they answer the same

CherriGarcia

FKA RumTresLeche
Reaction score
Reactions
229,164 37,349 12,061
Alleybux

U must not be a mom then. It doesn't mean u failed as a mom but children see these images on tv and around their world. If they go to school with yt kids it's worse cuz they associate good things with yt people and bad things with black people too

CherriGarcia

FKA RumTresLeche
Reaction score
Reactions
229,164 37,349 12,061
Alleybux
People can judge this, but test your own kids without asking them leading questions about what they're supposed to say. You'd be surprised. I know a kid with two pro-Black parents, who definitely do not hold these attitude and instill a lot of pride in their children, and one time the little girl made a comment at about 3 or 4, and I absolutely knew she was aware of these attitudes already. She didn't feel that way, but she knew that society deemed Black features, hair, and skin to be ugly and not good. We were reading a magazine together that had pictures in it. No one sat her down and said this, they pick it up.

It doesn't mean their parents have these attitudes or aren't trying to bring their kids up with self-love. The idea that we're criminal, 'bad', ugly, and problematic is EVERYWHERE. Even if you teach your kids as best as you can, they can still understand how the world works and how the world sees them. It doesn't mean that they'll always internalize external hate, but it's going to take work from parents and work, on themselves when they're older, to undue this.
This! Posters keep missing this and it has nothing to do with being a bad or good mom. Kids see these differences and associate black with bad and yt with good

WWE Diva

90s Kid
Reaction score
Reactions
269,315 17,600 834
Alleybux
The girls didn't take their eyes of the darker doll in the first two videos when it came to those negative questions. Their eyes were glued to it. Then when they had to answer positive questions about the lighter doll, they kept their eyes on that one. Very telling. I agree with those saying it's because they see black being negative & white being positive.

Divakim89

Pretty On Fleek
Reaction score
Reactions
128,769 7,945 8,863
Alleybux
I personally think she should have had the same doll style.

Anyone this is terribly sad to watch

LaVieEhBelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
100,416 2,996 1,243
Alleybux
Ok so where is this conditioning coming from? What is conditioning these children to hate black skin?
It comes from everything that they're surrounded by. My younger brother decided that he wasn't Black because all (to him) the bad people on the local evening news were Black. That was all it took. Today's children have more options to see Black people, but Black people are overwhelmingly shown as bad or non-existent, while White people are good. Even when they portray White people as bad, the general White population rarely gets affected by those images.

Sorry but the few, yes they are in the minority, areas where we see Black people thrive doesn't make up for the dominance of Whites in the media. Those Black people are seen as exceptions. If they aren't recognizable (Oprah at Hermes) they get the same negative treatment as regular Black people.

StrangeXdefault

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
493,707 16,740 4,402
Alleybux
Why doesn’t positive images of black men have the same effect on white kids.....they look up their favorite basketball player or the best one is black. The president at one point was black, best tennis player black, all these images of professional black women

White kids are consuming the same images as Black kids PLUS they're absorbing the racist re-enforcement they're getting at home

I'm not understanding your point