A Face Skincare Regimen That'll Leave You GLOWING

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
What's your skincare routine regimen that has your skin glowing? Here's mine:

Cleanser - CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser = Daily (morning & night)

AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution = 2x a week (no set days)

Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 = Nighttime (but can use 2x daily)

100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalane = Nighttime (but can use 2x daily)

Sun Bum Clear Zinc SPF 50 = Daily (unless I stay in. I know UV rays but blah)

In the am, I just use cleanser and sunscreen (yes, Black people should use sunscreen).

Then I do the 'heavy lifting' at night.

When I tell y'all I have a GLOW that can radiate through a face mask, I tell no lies.

I was just in Target and folks were asking me my routine. Keep it simple.

I used to have very subtle sun spots/hyperpigmentation on my face and my dermatologist would be like girl, give it a rest, it's barely noticeable so she never really gave me anything for it (hater heaux lol), so I decided to do a deep dive over the counter.

This regimen did wonders. When I went for my dermatology follow up, this heaux had the nerve to say my skin cleared up. Bish, I thought it was not noticeable? Lol

Anyway, these products work for uneven skin tone, sun spots, and or light hyperpigmentation.

Oh, one more thing! Sun Bum spf does have a smell that I can't quite place. Almost analogous to like a soft coconut smell, which I hate, but the white cast factor isn't a problem. I don't know if it's because less is more, or because of my skin tone, but my niece who is darker than me also loves it because it doesn't have the white or purpose cast.

PS, stop using products that have fragrances and or perfume. Both are the devil. When you use products with fragrances and or perfume, you're inviting the devil to do his business on your face.

Pictures of products below:

renewing_sa_cleanser_8oz_front_new-700x875-v2.jpg

shopping

shopping

shopping

70002161000D--sun_bum_spf_50_premium_sunscreen_face_lotion.jpg

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
It's a chemical exfoliant that doesn't damage your skin in the way those gritty scrubs can. It's pretty strong, so you are only supposed to use it for 10 mins on the face two times a week.

Please follow the directions. I know someone who got chemical burns because she was like "oh this sh!t works, let me keep it on for 15 mins" and had burns as a result. 10 mins means 10 mins.

Here's what the website says:

Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) exfoliate the skin's topmost surface for a brighter and more even appearance. Beta hydroxy acids (BHA) also exfoliate the skin with an extended function to help clear pore congestion. This combined 32% AHA/BHA solution offers deeper exfoliation to help fight visible blemishes and for improved skin radiance. The formula also improves the appearance of skin texture and reduces the look of fine lines with continued use.

And here are the ingredients list:

Glycolic Acid, Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Daucus Carota Sativa Extract, Propanediol, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Salicylic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Citric Acid, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Xanthan gum, Polysorbate 20, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

Hey OP, great list, but what is the peel used for?

Thanks.

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
I was skeptical at first, but I'm a stan. It's budget friendly and it WORKS.

My only complaint is that I have to stock up, or when I go to buy, my favorite products are out of stock lol. That's a good problem for the company to have though.

I love ordinary! Budget friendly.

Great list OP!

WendyWhaleiams

Happy Millionaire's Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
23,953 402 69
Alleybux
Thank you....Just in time. Gonna try a few things on your list. My skin has been feeling like a warzone.

Honeydripper

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
108,255 6,297 2,486
Alleybux
Thanks op. I have very oily skin, does the sun bum sunscreen make you sweat? So far all the sunscreen I've tried makes me sweat and irritates my eyes

thatbeattho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,138 721 92
Alleybux
That peeling solution is the truth. It was the first product from The Ordinary that I tried and when I put it on, I was like “what the fµck, this cheap mess is going to destroy my skin” because it was burning. But when I took it off after 10 minutes, my skin was SO CLEAR. After following up with the rest of my routine, my face felt like BUTTER. It’s crazy how such a great product costs so little compared to all of these other companies that don’t do as much.

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
SPF doesn't make me sweat. Do you know what type of SPF you were using in the past? There are two types in America, at least.

Mineral sunscreen ingredients form a barrier on the surface of the skin that helps reflect UV rays away from the skin.

chemical sunscreen ingredients penetrate the top layers of the skin to absorb damaging UV rays before they can harm your skin.

The best way for me to know the differences is to use zinc as the baseline. If it has zinc or titanium, it's 9 times out of 10 a mineral sunscreen. If it doesn't, it's a chemical. I've never used chemical spf because of the white/purple cast issue.

Thanks op. I have very oily skin, does the sun bum sunscreen make you sweat? So far all the sunscreen I've tried makes me sweat and irritates my eyes

I have a friend who had this problem. I'll circle back around later today and see what she has used and pass on those recommendations.

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
The founder, Brandon Truaxe, was ahead of his time. He went out sad, dead at the age of 40, but the company kept on the right path--thankfully.

His method was to model his products like medicine. Just the necessary ingredients and sell it straight to the consumer.

I'll never forget how he dragged Drunk Elephant for charging $65 for some type of oil that he was saying for $4.99 at the time lol.

He said most beauty/skincare companies add unnecessary and harmful fragrances and other items to justify the price increase which means you pay for more and get less. Then when you include fancy packaging, it's a wrap.

That peeling solution is the truth. It was the first product from The Ordinary that I tried and when I put it on, I was like “what the fµck, this cheap mess is going to destroy my skin” because it was burning. But when I took it off after 10 minutes, my skin was SO CLEAR. After following up with the rest of my routine, my face felt like BUTTER. It’s crazy how such a great product costs so little compared to all of these other companies that don’t do as much.

Nulli

Gold.
Reaction score
Reactions
87,674 1,806 867
Alleybux
I have the TO Squalene, love it. I was going to try P50 for chemical peeling next, but I had my eye on the TO peel also, I’ll try that one first.

I also have Sun Bum sunscreen, I’m already almost there! Lol

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
Then you're ahead of the game.

I admit I buy sh!t just because I'm susceptible to marketing (unnecessary creams, serums, toners lol) and my face paid a price for it.

Now I use 5 products max and I'm aging in reverse.

Less really is more.

I have the TO Squalene, love it. I was going to try P50 for chemical peeling next, but I had my eye on the TO peel also, I’ll try that one first.

I also have Sun Bum sunscreen, I’m already almost there! Lol

Kum West

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,626 1,079 410
Alleybux
It's a chemical exfoliant that doesn't damage your skin in the way those gritty scrubs can. It's pretty strong, so you are only supposed to use it for 10 mins on the face two times a week.

Please follow the directions. I know someone who got chemical burns because she was like "oh this sh!t works, let me keep it on for 15 mins" and had burns as a result. 10 mins means 10 mins.

Here's what the website says:

Alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) exfoliate the skin's topmost surface for a brighter and more even appearance. Beta hydroxy acids (BHA) also exfoliate the skin with an extended function to help clear pore congestion. This combined 32% AHA/BHA solution offers deeper exfoliation to help fight visible blemishes and for improved skin radiance. The formula also improves the appearance of skin texture and reduces the look of fine lines with continued use.

And here are the ingredients list:

Glycolic Acid, Aqua (Water), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Daucus Carota Sativa Extract, Propanediol, Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Salicylic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Citric Acid, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Tasmannia Lanceolata Fruit/Leaf Extract, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Xanthan gum, Polysorbate 20, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Ethylhexylglycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.

I just ordered everything you recommended cause, I was going to do a chemical peel but honestly not in my budget right now! In regards to the ordinary products did you use all of those per week? Like the red one you said is twice a week. Was that like an am routine after washing your face? Or was that at night as well? The other two products is night time but can be used twice a day. I’m trying to determined if you used all these products per day or you switched them up? I hope I was to confusing with what I’m trying to ask lol

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
I know exactly what you mean, cause I had the same questions lol. If you're confused, it's cause I confused you, so let me clarify.

According to the packaging of the products, all of them, except the peeling solution, can be used at least 2 times a day: am and pm. Some people say using them 2x a day gives them the best results, but I got lucky/blessed in that I only have to use it once a day to get the desired result, but there's a bit of a trick that I'll explain.

Of course with my luck and genetics, I have super sensitive skin, so I only use the majority at night. I've tried to use them twice a day, but my skin prefers them only once a day. I've literally woken up, washed my face, and put on sunscreen without moisturize and had a glow, that's how strong this regimen is.

Now for the trick I was talking about. Let me break it down further.

This regimen works well because you have major cross over that's SAFE. That's the beauty of it.

The CeraVe cleanser has Salicylic Acid (as does the Ordinary products) which helps to safely remove the outer most layer of skin. So your skin is pretty exposed after that.

Then you're adding "the good stuff" (The Ordinary) to "undamaged/fresh" skin if that makes sense.

So you're doing two-for-one: constantly removing the oldest layer of skin while protecting the new layer which ends of giving you a safe and healthy glow.

With the peel, you use it 2x a week (preferably NOT back to back though), and I've done both: morning and night routines.

So you can do the cleanser, wait 15-25 mins for skin to dry (it has to be dry or it won't work and can cause irritation), then use the peeling solution, then use the last two products and you're good.

This is a matter of personal preference, but I use the peeling solution two times a week at night. Why night? Like I said, I do have sensitive skin, and when I use it in the day, I'm tempted to want to touch my face, gawk at the results, and just irritate my skin with my hands lol. But it's totally up to you when you use it.

Also, just in case you're wondering, you can use all the products on the same day as long as you space them out properly.

Example AM or PM routine with all products:
Cleanser
*wait for face to dry*
Peeling solution
*rinse with warm water to remove after 10 mins of usage*
Hyaluronic Acid
Hemi-Squalane
*moisturizer is optional, so I don't use it*

According to The Ordinary, you should use the acid before oils, so the Hyaluronic goes on before the Squalane. Then you can follow that up with moisturizer and SPF last.

I just ordered everything you recommended cause, I was going to do a chemical peel but honestly not in my budget right now! In regards to the ordinary products did you use all of those per week? Like the red one you said is twice a week. Was that like an am routine after washing your face? Or was that at night as well? The other two products is night time but can be used twice a day. I’m trying to determined if you used all these products per day or you switched them up? I hope I was to confusing with what I’m trying to ask lol

Nulli

Gold.
Reaction score
Reactions
87,674 1,806 867
Alleybux
Then you're ahead of the game.

I admit I buy sh!t just because I'm susceptible to marketing (unnecessary creams, serums, toners lol) and my face paid a price for it.

Now I use 5 products max and I'm aging in reverse.

Less really is more.

Truly. I refuse to succumb to skincare influencers showing 12 products in a routine. Whoever it works for, cool. I want a handful of effective products, and let exercise and diet help them along.

Kum West

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,626 1,079 410
Alleybux
I know exactly what you mean, cause I had the same questions lol. If you're confused, it's cause I confused you, so let me clarify.

According to the packaging of the products, all of them, except the peeling solution, can be used at least 2 times a day: am and pm. Some people say using them 2x a day gives them the best results, but I got lucky/blessed in that I only have to use it once a day to get the desired result, but there's a bit of a trick that I'll explain.

Of course with my luck and genetics, I have super sensitive skin, so I only use the majority at night. I've tried to use them twice a day, but my skin prefers them only once a day. I've literally woken up, washed my face, and put on sunscreen without moisturize and had a glow, that's how strong this regimen is.

This regimen works well because you have major cross over that's SAFE. That's the beauty of it.

The CeraVe cleanser has Salicylic Acid (as does the Ordinary products) which helps to safely remove the outer most layer of skin. So your skin is pretty exposed after that.

Then you're adding "the good stuff" (The Ordinary) to "undamaged/fresh" skin if that makes sense.

So you're doing two-for-one: constantly removing the oldest layer of skin while protecting the new layer which ends of giving you a safe and healthy glow.

With the peel, you use it 2x a week (preferably NOT back to back though), and I've done both: morning and night routines.

So you can do the cleanser, wait 15-25 mins for skin to dry (it has to be dry or it won't work and can cause irritation), then use the peeling solution, then use the last two products and you're good.

This is a matter of personal preference, but I use the peeling solution two times a week at night. Why night? Like I said, I do have sensitive skin, and when I use it in the day, I'm tempted to want to touch my face, gawk at the results, and just irritate my skin with my hands lol. But it's totally up to you when you use it.

Also, just in case you're wondering, you can use all the products on the same day as long as you space them out properly.

Cleanser
*wait for face to dry*
Peeling solution
Hyaluronic Acid
Hemi-Squalane

According to The Ordinary, you should use the acid before oils, so the Hyaluronic goes on before the Squalane. Then you can follow that up with moisturizer and SPF last.

Thanks a million!! This is exactly what I needed!!! I’m so excited!

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
Screaming at 12 products in a routine part. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That use to be me. Putting 5011 products on my face looking a mess lol.

Truly. I refuse to succumb to skincare influencers showing 12 products in a routine. Whoever it works for, cool. I want a handful of effective products, and let exercise and diet help them along.

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
A few more things that you need to take heed to.

Please use sunscreen. Even if you don't use what I recommended, find one that works and use it. I had a friend who followed this routine minus the sunscreen, and she got some sun spots because like I said, you're constantly removing older layers of skin. She's now using SPF and the spots are fading, but why go through that when you can just use SPF and be done with it and avoid the problem to begin with?

And don't be alarmed if you have a purging effect the first week. Salicylic acid is in many of these products and it helps to keep the pore clear and open which means it has to purge what's there first along in the exfoliating process.

I had a minor breakout (purging) and it cleared up. Consistency is key with this regimen. Now if you're having more than a minor break out (more than bumps here and there, something else might be going on, so don't ignore that).

Lastly, this does wonders for fine lines and pores. You don't notice these things until folks start pointing them out to you. My T-zone could be called a pore-zone lol and this helped more than any serums that were advertised to target pores. I'm surprised The Ordinary isn't advertising this as a pore treatment lol.

Thanks a million!! This is exactly what I needed!!! I’m so excited!

Good luck.

Kum West

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,626 1,079 410
Alleybux
A few more things that you need to take heed to.

Please use sunscreen. Even if you don't use what I recommended, find one that works and use it. I had a friend who followed this routine minus the sunscreen, and she got some sun spots because like I said, you're constantly removing older layers of skin. She's now using SPF and the spots are fading, but why go through that when you can just use SPF and be done with it and avoid the problem to begin with?

And don't be alarmed if you have a purging effect the first week. Salicylic acid is in many of these products and it helps to keep the pore clear and open which means it has to purge what's there first along in the exfoliating process.

I had a minor breakout (purging) and it cleared up. Consistency is key with this regimen. Now if you're having more than a minor break out (more than bumps here and there, something else might be going on, so don't ignore that).

Lastly, this does wonders for fine lines and pores. You don't notice these things until folks start pointing them out to you. My T-zone could be called a pore-zone lol and this helped more than any serums that were advertised to target pores. I'm surprised The Ordinary isn't advertising this as a pore treatment lol.

Good luck.

I. Love you! Lol lol

LaIndigo

Learning to love moments for themselves.
Reaction score
Reactions
45,324 618 73
Alleybux
That aha/bha peel is amazing.

But please listen to the original poster about sunscreen. I neglected to use sunscreen for a few days and got sun burned. Fortunately I did not get amy hyperpigmentation but it was not fun.

Im Fine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,587 579 73
Alleybux
Thanks for sharing! I live on r/skincareaddiction. I’m doing my 8 weekly peels right now since it’s winter (started late). I do either 40% lactic acid, 30% glycolic acid, or 40% mandalic acid from MUAC. I use Vaseline after my peels.

I just use Cerave foaming wash and moisturizer twice a day. Right now I’m using Purito Comfy Water 50 spf mineral sunscreen daily. But I’m gonna try Cotz Flawless Complexion Spf 50 mineral sunscreen too.

I’m breaking out again due to masks, so I’ll probably do an AHA/BHA mix like yours. Looks great!

Syc4m0re

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,450 757 927
Alleybux
Ugh I need to go back and start using the peeling mask again. I sometime use the TO toner too but I think it was drying out my skin so badly.

For the most part, we have similar routines except I have some additional serums.

realtalkmusic

<span style="font-family: realtalkmusic;color: Vot
Reaction score
Reactions
161,051 9,001 3,579
Alleybux
thank you did get purchased the sunscreen online?

What about people who makeup like concealer and powder?

Btw why this so cheap
100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalane - The Ordinary | Sephora

Cleanser
*wait for face to dry*
Peeling solution
Hyaluronic Acid
Hemi-Squalane

wrenbaker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,746 1,510 325
Alleybux
My skin didn’t respond well with that cleanser but I will def check out the other products. I’m using ACURE now and I like it and the Kiehl’s cleanser for my face.

Femmefatall

If you see me on timeout I called a b*tvh out
Reaction score
Reactions
38,303 5,054 2,598
Alleybux
What's your skincare routine regimen that has your skin glowing? Here's mine:

Cleanser - CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser = Daily (morning & night)

AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution = 2x a week (no set days)

Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 = Nighttime (but can use 2x daily)

100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalane = Nighttime (but can use 2x daily)

Sun Bum Clear Zinc SPF 50 = Daily (unless I stay in. I know UV rays but blah)

In the am, I just use cleanser and sunscreen (yes, Black people should use sunscreen).

Then I do the 'heavy lifting' at night.

When I tell y'all I have a GLOW that can radiate through a face mask, I tell no lies.

I was just in Target and folks were asking me my routine. Keep it simple.

I used to have very subtle sun spots/hyperpigmentation on my face and my dermatologist would be like girl, give it a rest, it's barely noticeable so she never really gave me anything for it (hater heaux lol), so I decided to do a deep dive over the counter.

This regimen did wonders. When I went for my dermatology follow up, this heaux had the nerve to say my skin cleared up. Bish, I thought it was not noticeable? Lol

Anyway, these products work for uneven skin tone, sun spots, and or light hyperpigmentation.

Oh, one more thing! Sun Bum spf does have a smell that I can't quite place. Almost analogous to like a soft coconut smell, which I hate, but the white cast factor isn't a problem. I don't know if it's because less is more, or because of my skin tone, but my niece who is darker than me also loves it because it doesn't have the white or purpose cast.

PS, stop using products that have fragrances and or perfume. Both are the devil. When you use products with fragrances and or perfume, you're inviting the devil to do his business on your face.

Pictures of products below:

renewing_sa_cleanser_8oz_front_new-700x875-v2.jpg

shopping

shopping

shopping

70002161000D--sun_bum_spf_50_premium_sunscreen_face_lotion.jpg
I’ve got sensitive skin do you think I’ll be okay to use the ordinary aha bha peel?

hulamama

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,073 5 1
Alleybux
Thanks for sharing OP! I was skeptical about the ordinary brand cuz I'm like why is it so cheap lol but I will try the peel now.

Do you use retinol?

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
thank you did get purchased the sunscreen online?

I got the sunscreen as a free gift from a Macy's online order and tried it and loved it. You can buy it online or from Target stores.

What about people who makeup like concealer and powder?

The products work well with makeup, but I don't use it. They just came out with their own concealer.

It's cheap because they buy wholesale and don't use pricey packaging. That's why he shook up the industry. These products shouldn't be as much as they.

I’ve got sensitive skin do you think I’ll be okay to use the ordinary aha bha peel?

My skin is super sensitive too, and the peeling solution doesn't bother me. Just make sure you don't have any broken skin on your face and you should be good.

I was skeptical about the ordinary brand cuz I'm like why is it so cheap lol but I will try the peel now.

Yea, we're used to over paying for things that when we get something as a reasonable price, it's like a mind fuk. The peeling solution is amazing.

Do you use retinol?

I don't. I might add one more product to my regimen but haven't decided which one. Retinol over the counter is such a low dose it's not worth it.

Anatwyla

my booty opened a portal to success
Reaction score
Reactions
189,871 4,705 804
Alleybux
Everyone keeps raving about The Ordinary products so I'm gonna take the plunge and order some. I was using tretinoin but my prescription ran out and I want to see if there are any otc products that will work just as well for me.

Metaphysique

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,065 696 303
Alleybux
I stick to a 4-5 step ritual. On days I fast, I cleanse and use a probiotic spray. I have no skin concerns other than maintaining its current state and aging well. Currently, I cycle between these products:

Mahalo

Unveil cleanser
Flower of Flowers mist
Hawaiian Hydration (serum)
Queen Emma elixir or Hawaiian Nights (oil)

Okoko Cosmetiques’s Prestige edition serum
and Prestige edition face oil (Black woman-owned)

May Lindstrom’s The Honey Mud (mask) and The Jasmine Garden (balancing mist)

Surya Spa’s Balancing Collagen Cream and Balancing Face Oil

Dehiya Beauty’s Alia cleanser and Elements of Aliel’s Beetroot Cleansing Polish (Black woman-owned)

ScreamMcQueen

LSA comedian
Reaction score
Reactions
178,174 1,888 344
Alleybux
Mineral sun screen is the most important part but finding one without that cast (that's not too expensive) is a mess.

moonologie

Fly Me to the Moon
Reaction score
Reactions
15,243 1,128 65
Alleybux
I would be very wary of using the CeraVe SA cleanser daily because it is a chemical exfoliant and you could risk ruining your skin barrier. I think the routine is fine, but maybe alternate the cleanser with LaRoche Posay Gentle Hydrating Cleanser to give your skin a break from actives.

ScreamMcQueen

LSA comedian
Reaction score
Reactions
178,174 1,888 344
Alleybux
I would be very wary of using the CeraVe SA cleanser daily because it is a chemical exfoliant and you could risk ruining your skin barrier. I think the routine is fine, but maybe alternate the cleanser with LaRoche Posay Gentle Hydrating Cleanser to give your skin a break from actives.
I agree. I use the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser or some other gentle cleanser.

Reese Pieces

Codename Voodoo
Reaction score
Reactions
207,327 4,098 1,446
Alleybux
I agree keeping it simple is key, I drink almost entirely water every day (might have a juice or tea every now and then). I use natural soaps for my face and body, sugar scrub on the body every two days. I cleanse my face daily with Albolene and moisturize with Shea butter. Once a week I deep clean my pores with my little vacuum and I do a sheet mask every two days. My skin is even, pores aren’t visible to the naked eye, and my skin feels like a baby. You have to kiss some product frogs to find what works for you

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
This is a really good point, and I'm glad y'all brought it up.

I asked my dermatologist about exfoliating cleansers and she told me to stay away from scrubs (which I already do) and to make sure that the chemical cleaners have ceramides and or niacinamide. The CeraVe SA cleanser has both. With moisturizer and sunscreen they should be okay for long term use because there's not enough of the chemical exfoliating agent to do damage, even if used twice a day.

I'll definitely check out LaRoche after looking at the ingredient list. Thanks for that. I appreciate it.

As for CeraVe's other cleansers, I don't like them. They have a very drying effect on my skin.

I'm a CeraVe girl through and trough. I've tried every product, including their high priced ointment that is really just Vaseline lol.

Now that I think about it, as much as I love CeraVa, it's very hit or miss with me. I used to stan their Vitamin C serum, now? Not so much and I've removed that from my routine.

I agree. I use the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser or some other gentle cleanser.

DeletedAcct

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
For the first time in years I tweaked my skincare regimen in the last couple of months. My skin was already in a good place, but I elevated it, had male and female co-workers asking what I did for my skin.

I do this morning and evening (in this order).

Cleanse - Calendula Goat Milk Soap
Nt: I only use my middle and ring finger to wash and apply products to my face and I always rub up in circular motions.

[Pat dry with a single use napkin or designated face towel]

Tone - Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel Toner

[Use cotton ball with just enough toner to not create drag on your skin, and again rub up]

Serum - Vitamin C Brightening Serum, Resurfacing Serum, Papaya Enzymes Brightening Serum.

[Hit the target areas of your face and rub in upward motions]

Hydrate - Aloe Vera Gel (92 -98 %)
- Face Oil: Flower Bomb Oil and Rose Gold Oil from Little Herbs Co
- Hydrating Face Mist: Pearlessence Aloe and Rosewater

[Only use enough to cover your face, hit the prominent areas: cheekbones, forehead, jawline and T-section. I only use 2-4 drops of the face oil max and I use the aloe vera as a carrier because it absorbs and spreads better. Spray your face the same way you would with a setting spray, let it sink in on its own or you can lightly pat to help it along.]

At this point my face is moisturized enough to not have to add lotion, I will if it's cold enough that I need an extra barrier or add a touch of spf if it's really sunny out. Otherwise I have a travel size mist, I use to touch up with throughout the day, though I usually don't need to pull it out.

Serums were a game changer for me, and I'm more so testing the face oils. They're not hindering my routine, but I could leave them out and still have great results.

The products I choose are based on function and benefit not name recognition, before I was using the goat milk soap, I used korean products and was definitely a sheet mask junkie. My new routine doesn't call for them now, but they're good to follow up with if you're doing a clay/charcoal/deep cleaning mask. Plus if you have time for a sheet mask before doing a full beat, your make-up will be L-A-I-D.

Also this new routine only requires me to physically exfoliate 1-2 a week. I use a hydro towel, not an exfoliating washcloth or glove. The weave on those are huge and too abrasive, and the thick hem is a petri dish of bacteria. Hydro towels dry faster, stay cleaner longer and have a single hem that doesn't become a breeding ground for organisms you want nowhere near your face. They also wash very easily, I've had my current one for at least 3 years.

Additional points in no particular order:
  • Skincare is an investment and quality products are a must, but you do not need to break the bank, high quality and high cost are not the same. [For anyone on a budget or just a fan of money staying in your pocket, the beauty section at the TJMAXX, Marshalls etc needs to become your best friend.]
  • A good skincare regimen is less about brand name products than a consistent routine where you are showing your skin the love and attention it deserves.
  • [Cleanse. Tone. Hydrate] this is a basic template anyone starting out can work with, find products that work for your skin and test them out.
  • Don't use a bunch of new products at once. After you get your base routine down add new things in one-by-one, that way you can tell if a new product is improving or screwing up your routine.
  • Pay attention to what your skin likes: my body loves coconut oil but it causes a mutiny on my face. My calendula soap is olive-oil based and I make sure its sans any of my other face products. I've also noticed that soybean oil is a no for me--a lot of face oils use it as a carrier which is why I like the little herb co brand--they don't.
  • What you put into your body is just as important as what you put on it. Minimize processed foods and try to get your essential vitamins from your daily food intake, not just vitamins, they're called supplements for a reason.
  • Figure out what type of skin you have, what a person with dry skin is going to need is different than if someone has oily skin, same if you were acne prone.
  • And for the love of Dorothy Dandridge do not unnecessarily touch or be overly abrasive with your face. You don't need to be washing or rubbing anything into your skin beyond 60 secs. When it comes to handling your face no matter how many products are in your routine--do less is a great rule of thumb.
I have more but this post is already too long, hope this is helpful to some of you.

P.S Not sure if it was clear, but there is nothing wrong with named brand products, I just advocate people using what works for them, whoever makes it.

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,982 4,671 2,847
Alleybux
I use cleanser:

Winter

ACURE has a brightening one that supposed to give a glow but I didn't buy it since my other products already do that.
8.jpg

Summer
7eac666b-acab-4eb2-97f6-e97cb08fa096_1.65982a0ef81f9ba70c9ad4141501de6c.jpeg

As a next step either Son & Park Beauty Water would suffice for a glow but I ran out or just using The Ordinary's Niacinamide.

Now, I can do it with

Toner & Essence:
L_p0079330987.jpg

neogen-essence-neogen-real-ferment-micro-essence-14248641331303_1080x.jpg

Or my Moisturizer can do it
original.jpeg

Or this SPF can do it. I ran out of it though.

58d0c60522409ff12585cc0462b758b3.jpg

ShayeraHol

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,287 3,359 4,070
Alleybux
Op what is the 100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalane used for?

Also is your sunscreen for sensitive skin?

I'm open to sunscreen but most of them feel too heavy on my skin. I have oily skin already so I need something super light.

FactChecker

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,731 2,722 4,793
Alleybux
Op what is the 100% Plant-Derived Hemi-Squalane used for?

It's a hydration solution that can be used for face, body, and hair. I've never used it in my hair, but I plan on starting this week.

Also is your sunscreen for sensitive skin?

I have sensitive skin, and it works well for me minus the smell. It's not advertised as for sensitive skin, though. But that to me is nothing less than a marketing plow. I've used "for sensitive skin" only products and they were for the birds.