Quantcast

A woman gave birth prematurely on a flight to Hawaii. Luckily, 3 NICU nurses and a doctor were on board to help

funnywithfierce

You Tried It!
Reaction score
Reactions
191,702 35,800 1,142
Alleybux
http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F210503152347-02-baby-born-hawaii-flight.jpg

There were a lot of surprises on a flight to Hawaii last week, starting with the birth of a baby to a woman who didn't know she was pregnant.

"Not only did there happen to be a doctor on board the Salt Lake City-Honolulu flight, but there were also three neonatal intensive care nurses -- and all of them immediately got to work.

"About halfway through the flight, there was an emergency call, and I've experienced this before and usually they're pretty clear asking if there is a doctor on board," Hawaii Pacific Health family medicine physician Dr. Dale Glenn said in a news release from the hospital system.

"This call was not like this and it was fairly urgent. I let the flight attendant know that I'm a physician and she said we have a woman having a baby, so I hurried over to see what I could do."

The three NICU nurses, who work at North Kansas City Hospital in Missouri, also sprang into action, according to the news release from Hawaii Pacific Health.
Dr. Glenn poses for a picture with Lavi Mounga and baby Raymond before leaving the plane.

Dr. Glenn poses for a picture with Lavi Mounga and baby Raymond before leaving the plane.

"I went to see what was going on and see her there holding a baby in her hands, and it's little," said nurse Lani Bamfield.

The mother, Lavinia "Lavi" Mounga, had unexpectedly welcomed a baby boy, whom she named Raymond, while on her way to a family vacation. He was born at 29 weeks.

"I just didn't know I was pregnant, and then (Raymond) just came out of nowhere," Mounga told Hawaii Pacific Health.
NICU nurses Lani Bamfield, Amanda Beeding and Mimi Ho stand next to Lavi Mounga holding her new baby.

NICU nurses Lani Bamfield, Amanda Beeding and Mimi Ho stand next to Lavi Mounga holding her new baby.

For the remainder of the Delta flight, Glenn, Bamfield and fellow nurses Amanda Beeding and Mimi Ho took care of Mounga and her baby.

The team improvised with available equipment and kept the baby stable for three hours until the plane landed.

Glenn, according to the release, relied on wilderness training to help with the birth, given the absence of the usual equipment need to help with a premature birth.

He and the nurses used shoelaces to tie the umbilical cord and made baby warmers out of bottles that were microwaved.

At one point, they had to use an Apple Watch to monitor the baby's heart rate because they did not have normal tools available, the news release said.

As soon as the plane landed in Honolulu, medical response teams helped get mother and baby to Kapiolani Medical Center for Women and Children.

"I don't know how a patient gets so lucky as to have three neonatal intensive care nurses onboard the same flight when she is in emergency labor, but that was the situation we were in," Glenn said.

"The great thing about this was the teamwork.

Everybody jumped in together and everyone helped out."

AHardAct2Follow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,744 424 22
Alleybux
Glad she and the baby are safe. I'm still stuck on the "I didn't know I was pregnant" part...one of my worst nightmares.

justkillintime

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,867 424 126
Alleybux
Really struggling to believe this lady didn't know she was pregnant on a long, uncomfortable flight. God had her back that day though and I'm glad everything worked out. The odds of having 3 NICU nurses on your flight are improbable.

LolaMoon

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
123,034 1,533 797
Alleybux
Where will they list the place of birth on the baby's birth certificate? Hawaii or where Mom is from?

ETA: Just googled it. He will be given the citizenship of the mother. But, it doesn't explain which State will be on the birth certificate if the mother is from the US. Which is what I actually wanted to know? Does anyone know?

flytraphaus

Solange on the Elevator
Reaction score
Reactions
137,990 5,185 3,076
Alleybux
You take hella health precautions to get to Hawaii and she didn’t know she was pregnant for 29 weeks?

I think homegirl was pregnant and just took the risk flying and the baby was like let me out of here lol.

Blessings to them tho. What a miracle

ISaySeaux

John Michael's muse
Reaction score
Reactions
26,896 2,640 159
Alleybux
So TSA and their full body x-ray scanners knew she was pregnant before she did. :yesyes

Jaming4ever2

Invisible to negative words/Positive Words only
Reaction score
Reactions
22,751 605 140
Alleybux
good that their were no major health complications. glad their were nurses and doctor on the flight.

chellychelle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,699 571 45
Alleybux
Everything about this story is weird. Where exactly did she give birth? In the restroom? Did she just walk out in the aisle holding a newborn and the umbilical cord asking for a doctor?
It’s hard to believe this woman didn’t know she was pregnant.

God was protecting her baby that day... even from its own mother‘s actions.

Siren.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
854 111 22
Alleybux
There's a clip from a passenger in the plane that's going viral on Tik Tok. Glad the birth went ok.

SeekSolitude

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,454 5,274 2,696
Alleybux
Glad the baby made it here safely. Always curious about people who don’t know they’re pregnant. Has anyone else experienced this?

SerafinaCyan

On timeout 4 correcting Xenophobic Misogynists
Reaction score
Reactions
131,046 4,867 2,150
Alleybux
You take hella health precautions to get to Hawaii and she didn’t know she was pregnant for 29 weeks?

I think homegirl was pregnant and just took the risk flying and the baby was like let me out of here lol.

Blessings to them tho. What a miracle
Exactly what I think! She think she slick lol.

But yeah, God put everything in place so that the baby would be okay

flytraphaus

Solange on the Elevator
Reaction score
Reactions
137,990 5,185 3,076
Alleybux
Exactly what I think! She think she slick lol.

But yeah, God put everything in place so that the baby would be okay

I traveled to Hawaii this year and took two Covid tests prior and one at the airport. They are STRICT

29 weeks? no clue she was pregnant but knew she was in labor?

Not buying it. Lol she knew she wasn’t supposed to be flying that far along.

BbyMonroe

LET DAT COOCHIE BREATHE
Reaction score
Reactions
73,754 9,199 2,750
Alleybux
Look at her face! She knew she was pregnant! She does not have to look of “omg wtf I just had a fµck!ng baby!” She looking like “damn my vacation ruined!”

LieslAlbrecht

Sometimes you feel like a nut…
Reaction score
Reactions
67,718 1,114 382
Alleybux
She may be Hawaiian. Pardon, but she is plus sized, and not noticed weight gain or symptoms. Ms. Rona blessed us with extra pounds last year from being outside. The mom could have give birth before and realized mid flight her pain and discomfort was from labor. At 29wks, definitely plausible. Her facial expression is sus. Happy bornday to
Baby Raymond.

Let’s not act we or people we know haven’t gotten cramps they thought were from eating but were early period cramps. That happened more when I younger and my cycle hadn’t evened out.

Bella Noches

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,563 811 504
Alleybux
Glad the baby made it here safely. Always curious about people who don’t know they’re pregnant. Has anyone else experienced this?
I think a lot of women that don’t know they’re pregnant don’t have regular cycles

YUWannaNo

DA SAM HILL WRONG WITCHU
Reaction score
Reactions
126,291 2,721 602
Alleybux
I think a lot of women that don’t know they’re pregnant don’t have regular cycles

exactly, there is a show called I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. The women featured are typically on the healthier side, have irregular cycles, on birth control or have been told in the past that they were unable to have children. They even get an upset stomach sometimes and attribute it to something they ate. If they gain weight, they think they have been eating too much. Some will feel pressure and think they have to use the restroom only to push really hard and have a child fall in the toilet. Not to mention they way they carry so it is possible

Bella Noches

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,563 811 504
Alleybux
exactly, there is a show called I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. The women featured are typically on the healthier side, have irregular cycles, on birth control or have been told in the past that they were unable to have children. They even get an upset stomach sometimes and attribute it to something they ate. If they gain weight, they think they have been eating too much. Some will feel pressure and think they have to use the restroom only to push really hard and have a child fall in the toilet. Not to mention they way they carry so it is possible

Yup and when the baby starts kicking they think it’s just gas

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,559 5,365 1,568
Alleybux
I think most of the people on that show are full of it. There is actually a condition called pregnancy denial and I think most of the people claiming that they didn’t know they were pregnant have it. Yesterday this story was on Maury and there had to be 200+ women claiming that they all had no clue they were pregnant until they gave birth. In order for that to happen, a perfect storm of events would have to take place:

-No significant weight gain (even though the average weight gain in pregnancy is 25-35 pounds)

-Unusual pelvis position such that you wouldn’t show

-Baby not moving much, even after the parent consuming something containing caffeine

-Either consistently irregular periods such that not getting your period for almost a year would be normal OR sustained vaginal bleeding that coincidentally occurred monthly at the same time as your period for almost a year

-No linea negra

-No changes in skin or hair

-No urinary changes

-No doctor’s appointments where you took blood tests

-On birth control and not having unprotected xes (if you are consistently having unprotected xes most people would wonder about pregnancy)

-No nausea

-No odd cravings

-No Braxton Hicks

-Basically ZERO pregnancy symptoms at all

I mean, this is possible in some situations but hundreds of women claiming to not know they’re pregnant because ALL of the above applied to their pregnancy? It’s unlikely. A lot of these women are just in denial. A baby kicking does not feel like gas in the later stages or pregnancy, and they also stretch their bodies as they get more cramped in the last few weeks. You can often see specific body parts poking through the skin and you can literally watch their movements. Again I believe it can happen in a minority of cases but a lot of these claims are just full of it.