Quantcast

According To Veterinarians, People Should Understand About Their Pets

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,592 4,864 254
Alleybux
Bringing home an animal is a huge responsibility. After all, you're committing to caring for another life. And while it's impossible to know everything, some undertake this challenge without any qualification.

To find out what are some of these shortcomings, Reddit user u/mrktx21 uploaded a question to r/AskReddit: "Veterinarians of Reddit: What is one thing you wish people would know/understand about their pet?"

The post immediately went viral and already has over 31,000 upvotes and nearly 7,000 comments, many of which provide useful information to pet owners, giving them a better understanding of their companion!

5738477142_065caec5e7_o-6020ee1b958ca__700.jpg

Cats. Can’t. Be. Vegan.

[SHUT UP] with your “well I’m vegan and I want my pet to be vegan too!!”

THEN GET A [FREAKING] RABBIT
edenflicka

clipimage-601d5c0ce8096__700.jpg

I am a vet. Do not get a cat and then expect me to amputate its toes because you don't want it scratching the furniture. I refuse to perform declaws on cats because most of the time it is a mutilation for the cosmetics of a couch. There is no medical benefit to the animal.
Justapassingvet, Isabell Hubert Lyall

clipimage-601d5a534dc6a__700.jpg

About their pet, the best one I know is one I heard a while ago: You have your life, your job, your friends, your family to provide your social interaction per day. Your dog only has YOU. Interact with your dog for more than five minutes per day and maybe your dog will not go out barking every five seconds. schrodingerscatty, G. Weston

clipimage-601d60daddd52__700.jpg

Don't buy a dog only because you like the way it looks. Huskies and most sorts of shepherds are working dogs. They need lots of activities to be happy and they often turn aggressive, if they do not get enough of it!
S-Markt,Vegansoldie

4887282853_a22756526b_k-60210b6b7002a__700.jpg

Dogs prefer their ears and tails intact.
dingdongdudah

grumpy-cat-kitzia-12-5ed7b95ec8918__700-601d5ea5e7491__700.jpg

I am a vet. I wish people just even had a BASIC understanding of dog or cat body language. Ffs. The number of videos posted on reddit of animals in distress and its tagged as "oh my little fluffster is so cute when he plays!" Or whatever makes my blood boil. That kind of moronic ignorance is what gets children bit by the pet dog or the cat who is now dying because the owner had no idea of the signs 4 months ago.
little_miss_bumshine

clipimage-601d5c8e82008__700.jpg

Don't complain about your dog not having boundaries when you're literally feeding them scraps off your plate at dinner time! That's 100% on you.
SquilliamFancySon95, Extra Zebra

clipimage-601d5b7d98743__700.jpg

Having a pet is a luxury, not a right. If you can't afford unforeseen medical problems or pet insurance, please don't get a pet!
Normal-Sort4287, John Donges

5-6020f1401d7fd__700.jpg

From my former vet tech girlfriend, don’t leave your pets to be euthanized without you. It’s hard to be there and it’s hard to watch, but if you leave them they will die scared and looking for you. She had to try and comfort pets whose owner’s couldn’t bring themselves to stay and it’s one of the few things that makes her cry.
The-one-true-hobbit

1607551896_1cbdf2a088_k-6020f66648175__700.jpg

Your dog doesn't "want to be a mom" or experience the "joys of motherhood"
milavet

clipimage-601d60355cc8c__700.jpg

RVT here. There are sooo many.

1. It is not cute or sweet to have an obese pet. It can cause joint issues and heart disease among many things. Stop showing love through over feeding (especially human junk food).

2. Dogs are living creatures who need preventative medical care just like you do. And sometimes they get sick like you do. If you can’t contribute the bare minimum to take care of them, maybe you should think again about owning one.

3. GET YOUR PUPPY ITS DAMN DISTEMPER/PARVO VACCINES.
Mayg14,Tripp

clipimage-601d5d810a8af__700.jpg

Vaccines you get at the drug store on the corner or the feed and tack shop ARE NOT as good or the same as the ones you get at the vet.

Just because your dog is scratching its ears does not mean it has ear mites.

Your cat is not urinating outside the box because its a jerk ( it might be) it probably has an infection.

Not eating for 3 days while vomiting and having diarrhea is a huge deal! That 5lb chihuahua or even 80lb lab cant lose that many fluids without having any intake and be ok and neither would you.
misssnorlax, John Donges

7054735045_61b7c56ccd_o-6020f5b90e266__700.jpg

There is no such thing as Alpha. The whole concept was based of a flawed methodology where even the researchers who wrote the book in the first place disavowed it. Simply use force free training and you and your pet will be happier for it flicky2018

clipimage-60210c3566431__700.jpg

They rely solely on you for care. For everything. You are their everything. Don’t f**k it up. KatieMarmalade

clipimage-601d5cf3a3c11__700.jpg

The internet is not a place for you to self-diagnose and treat your pet. I saw way too many things happen to pets that didn't need to. Like putting oregano or oil in your dog's ear to treat an ear infection.
Holybull79, jasminejennyjen

@3x DinnerRolls
@7Million
@A La Tart
@adlaads
@Ai Weiwei
@airforcechele
@AlexMcQWEEN
@allwaswell
@Amanda Woodward
@Ameerah
@Anagogic
@AoTLBG
@apocalipton
@aquilo
@Arristance
@Ashy Larry
@AwesomeAvaStin
@Baby gloss bomb knowles
@Bad Eleanor
@badjuju_xo
@BarbaraLee
@Beautifullefty
@Bella Sofia
@BIANCA JAGGER
@Bidoor
@BillieJeanDab
@BillieOcean
@binks
@BOHO GODDESS
@bonitaapplebum
@boogie79
@BootsOnThat
@brandy716
@Brave One
@buela
@Camille Bordey
@caramel15
@CeCe24
@cestina
@Coco Campbell
@CranberryJuice
@Crunchy Nipples
@CUPCAKKE
@curlyheadheffa
@daybreaks bell
@Deedricka
@Demeter
@dianiah23
@Dior Addict
@Dojakat
@dollparts
@eazybreezy
@Elisa Maza
@elvynn
@EST1989
@ForeverAlone
@FridaKahlo
@G A Z
@GalaxyQueens
@Gigiangel
@goddessx
@Goodgyalknd
@GrtGzu
@GummyBearJuice
@Hatshepsut
@HelenSade
@Hexa
@HotDamn
@HowsItGoinDown
@I Love Lucie
@InBloom
@InjoyLelo
@Jadam
@Jodie Landon
@Johnny2X4
@Juelz
@Kelenerz
@Kelly Kapowski
@Kiku
@KittyKins
@kotd
@LadyJess
@LadySpencer
@LanaThaGod
@LANEZZZ
@LazyDaisy
@LegalizeRanch
@Lema3
@Leona Helmsley
@Lilo9
@LIMONADE
@LittleRayofPostiveEnergy
@Locitita
@loopymane
@Love Me
@MaRain
@MiaSong
@MicheleK
@Mirabilia
@misspeanut
@MissShawna
@MissSmith
@mosaic
@Moxy
@Mrs. Curly Fu
@MrsJeremyMeeks
@Ms Elle Driver
@MsGemstone
@MyKnee Hurtin
@MysteriousMW
@Nabelle40
@nahh
@Nan Chalant
@Nana Peazant
@Nerdycoffeegirl
@nomad
@Noseybella
@nsquared
@nylonsmile
@NYOTA UHURA
@O.o
@Olenna Tyrell
@OneTwoThree
@O S I C H
@originalwharris
@Peacefully
@Petrichor
@Phoenix27
@PhoenixEternal
@Pizzana
@ProprioBella
@Purple1252011
@QueenOfTheLocos
@Queenshawtii
@raramama
@Raichu
@RedLippedBandit
@RespeckIt
@Rere84
@Roxie Cette
@S E N T I E N T
@ShadySaditty
@shebasmudder
@since1979
@SnipYoFlap
@sofxposh
@SolaceEcho7
@SpaceMermaid13
@Starbuck
@Sunrisesunset
@Sunshine22
@Sweet __T
@Tahitian Moon
@Teranga21
@Thighs
@ThingsNStuff
@thorshammer
@ThotWings
@TruestLovely
@TwirlOn
@tyronebiggums
@uhluhyonce
@UrFavoriteLatte
@VINTAGE
@wecarealot
@williams86
@Yonce_Tears
@You_See_It

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,592 4,864 254
Alleybux
clipimage-60210d3391694__700.jpg

KNOW YOUR BREED!!! Don't complain about your dog being too energetic or destructive when you keep them cooped up in a cage for 12 hours a day!! A Labrador is a working dog - he needs a job to do!! A husky is a snow dog - don't own one in Florida!! German Shepherds shed ALOT - don't complain about the hairballs!! DO YOUR RESEARCH 1st!!
cbeagle

clipimage-6020f5728fb2e__700.jpg

Not a vet, but my mom was a vet tech for years and I've been an animal profession for awhile now.

Cats DO NOT do things because they are mad at you. Your cat did not poop on your boyfriend's pillow as revenge for being yelled at, and they certainly did not pee on your clothes because they're mad you didn't feed them on time. Cats are creatures of habit and prefer routine to feel safe, so when you have drastic changes in behavior (such as eliminating outside the box), it's typically due to one of two reasons: environmental changes or a medical issues. If you cannot think of anything in your home environment that's changed, then you need to get them checked at the vet.

Neither milk nor tuna from a can are good treats for you cat, despite the stereotype.

Unless it's for a legitimate medical reason, declawing cats is cruel. If you don't want cats clawing your furniture, but can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of just researching how you can prevent it, then don't get a cat. Don't have a completely unnecessary medical procedure done on your cat simply because you don't want to be inconvenienced.
YukiXain

clipimage-601d639de0134__700.jpg

Not a vet but my mom is.

One thing that really frustrates her is the myth that neutering a cat will make them fat and lazy.

It reduces the amount of calories they need which means they need less food and/or more exercise to maintain the same weight. Cats generally get less energetic as they get older regardless, but most will still perk up if you make the effort to wave a toy in their face every so often.
mylifeisathrowaway10, John Donges

clipimage-60210bfa2d480__700.jpg

That they are NOT human. Anthropomorphizising your pet often leads to behavioural issues ( small dogs being treated like babies makes them feel they're pack leaders, no your dog is not smiling, he's [fricking] stressed, no, your dog is not guilty, he's terrified of punishment). So for the love of all your deities... Love your pet as if it was your child and treat it how it deserves to be treated - through communication it understands!
OneToughTequila

clipimage-6020f59ec5575__700.jpg

Vet Nurse for 10+years....

90% of your pets behavioural issues are your fault. If you're not willing to train your pet (mostly dogs here, cats just dgaf) basic commands and getting them used to being handled then you can bet we will restrain and muzzle if need be or we will charge extra for sedation. My colleagues and I are not in the business of fluffing around whilst trying to treat your pet and or getting bitten.

What you think is cute in your large breed puppy (growling, resource guarding, biting) is not cute when it is a 30+kg uncontrollable beast.

Retractable leashes are the worst invention ever and should be banned. You have no control over your pet.

Stop letting your pet wander up to any other pet in the waiting room. Not all dogs are friendly and cats are stressed enough.

Overfeeding your pet is the same animal abuse as underfeeding.

Start a savings account for your pet if pet insurance doesn't suit. If you never need it you have money you can spend on a holiday.
LittleBT

clipimage-60210cb7bef89__700.jpg

Vet here.

Your dog does not need to eat grain free food with massive amounts of protein because they are “basically a wolf.” No. They’re not. They’re a dog. And not only does the actual science not support the need for these trend diets, now there’s concern they’re actually doing harm, causing dilated cardiomyopathy in certain animals.

In a similar vein, we do not get any money from diet companies. Do you think I would be wallowing in my 325K of debt (no this is not an exaggeration in the slightest), driving a 15 year old broken down car, and renting without a hope of buying a house, if I were getting kickbacks? I would not. If we make a diet recommendation it’s because current science says it may help your pet.

We agonize over cases, work longer hours than we should, spend time away from our families and friends to figure out difficult cases and help the really sick pets. Taking out your anger and grief on me and my staff does nothing but tear us apart and contribute to the high suicide rate that vets and vet techs have. We are helpers at heart and it hurts when we can’t help - please be kind and don’t make us feel worse.
Corgimatic

clipimage-601d648916e11__700.jpg

If your pet eats your weed stash, let the vet know. They are not going to call the police. They need to know everything they can to diagnose your pet.
D-Rock_502, Kumweni

clipimage-6020f18c48984__700.jpg

Ripping your cat's claws out to preserve your furniture is absolutely disgusting and inhumane.

Don't justify it by saying that at least you're giving him/her a good home. You're depriving the animal of one of the core essence of being a cat! femalefartingrocks

clipimage-6020f450c9fcf__700.jpg

If your cat or dog was hit by a car and is whining and limping, when you bring them in and get asked when the accident happened, the damn answer best not be ‘oh, 4-5 days ago, but I haven’t had time to bring him in’

Source = wife is a surgical vet nurse
bearchr01

My wife is a vet. She says that a lot of people tell her they want their dog to experience child birth at least once. It’s a horrible and traumatic experience for dogs because they not only have to go through pregnancy and labor, but they have to give up their babies.

Spay and neuter your pets.
postingstuffonrmma

31781554507_ac055a58f5_o-6020f6859a3a7__700.jpg

Veterinarian here.
Getting and relying on medical advice from breeders and groomers (with no medical background). I once saw a rat terrier with a fractured humerus, which typically requires surgical correction. As I stepped out of the room to check availability with a surgeon, the client called the dog’s breeder who said not to follow my advice and to “just put the dog in a sling” and that she’s “done on her own dog's plenty.”

Also, not exercising dogs enough. Many behavioral problems can be solved with ample exercise daily.
HTC365

clipimage-6020f53743e76__700.jpg

It’s not cute to have a dog that obsessively protects you. It means they see you as a resource to guard. Nothing more than a toy or bone. They are supposed to belong to you, not the other way around.
ghostoflunchtomorrow

Your rabbit is not a f**king hamster.

It needs actual space to run around, and not a single cage sold at a commercial pet store has even close to enough space. They need runs, and access to the house if you can.

They are incredibly social animals, so don't come to me and say you got one. They are lonely, and need a buddy. If they don't have one, be prepared to spend 6+ hours a day hanging out and socializing with them because they need the interaction.

They do not just eat pellets, 80-90% of their diet is should be hay and I'm tired of people coming in with morbidly obese rabbits as a result of the rabbit being fed nothing but calorie dense pellets and carrots.

And stop buying pugs from breeders. Bringing more of those poor suffering creatures into this world is inhumane.
Momordicas

clipimage-60210d878eb38__700.jpg

Worked at a pet clinic for a couple of years and there are waaay to many people who buy cattle dogs/shephards and don't give them the attention/exercise they need. Then they want to know why the dogs are stressed, tearing everything up and running away. Don't get a working dog if you aren't up to the challenges necessary to meet their needs. Get a pet that fits with your lifestyle, not just one that's popular or intelligent or "the kind you always wanted". These are living beings with feelings, emotions and needs, not a fashion accessory or tool to get internet points.
Atomaardappel

2925872294_d31a19618f_o-6020f1545974b__700.jpg

What anxiety actually looks like in animals, especially dogs, and how unfair it is to the animal.

People don’t know that yawning, side-eye, lip licking, constant paw licking, etc. are signs of anxiety. That is your animal trying to speak to you and their surroundings that they aren’t ok. Over time it can escalate when they aren’t heard (up to biting) and the only way I can really intervene as a vet is some behavioural therapy but mostly through lifelong meds.

Many clients hate giving anxiety meds because it is a daily commitment and/or they don’t believe it is a big deal. They don’t think that their animal feels anxiety because they perceive the animal to have had a good life and what they do is "just a quirk." Furthermore, if they stop some of the meds the animal will be chemically resistant when you try use them again (like Prozac). Animals can’t really go to a therapist like we can but also it’s unfair to let them live in states of extreme anxiety. Think of those moments when you have a situation (or no obvious trigger) that you feel your stomach drop, you can’t focus, and you have that sense of impending doom you can’t shake. Animals feel that too.

Also don’t get me started on behaviour misinformation. Dominance/alpha theory, ignoring your animal when you come home/leave, purposely switching up your routine so they can’t "tell" your leaving. All bulls**t.
miss_fin

59-60210cfae8431__700.jpg

RVN Here (U.K.).

1)Vaccinating you’re animals costs WAY less than treating them for potentially fatal diseases. If we wanted your money we would advised AGAINST vaccinating.

2) calling your pet obese isn’t fat shaming. It is no different to having a super skinny underfed animal. Under weight or overweight, this is cruel and your animal is suffering.

3) your animal will not die peacefully at home. It’ll often take days or even weeks of suffering, struggling to get up, struggling to breathe. Please put your animal to sleep when we recommend you to. We are really doing it for the best interest of your pet.

4) your pet is in pain. Just because he is eating or running around doesn’t mean he isn’t in pan. Animals live in the moment, and do not show pain as much as humans as a way to survive. They can still run around with crippling arthritis. If we tell you your pet is in pain, trust us, they are.

5) please neuter your animal. They will not lose their personality. Neuter your animal, is much cheaper than treating them for prostate/testicular cancer, or a womb infection (pyometra). Please neuter your pets.
livzmz

clipimage-6020f11b0cd75__700.jpg

Vet tech here : if you can’t afford the adoption or breeder fee, then you can’t afford a pet

Pets, especially DOGS need pet insurance. Do your research before getting a pet. They are not just something you can throw away. You would think adults would understand this but some really just don’t
travelingvettech

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,592 4,864 254
Alleybux
clipimage-6020edcd60c4d__700.jpg

Ex vet tech.

Dogs and pancreatitis. It Can happen by eating the wrong food once, and it can kill an otherwise healthy dog within 2-3 days.

For the love of god. Don’t feed your dog table food. 1 intake of the wrong food can potentially cause pancreatitis. Most people think that “we rarely do it” so it’s okay to sneak some sausage to their dog during dinner

No no no. One time Can trigger it and it can be extremely deadly.

Also hand in hand with this: if your dog isn’t eating or drinking water, it needs medical attention. Don’t “wait a few days” if it isn’t drinking or eating. It will get dehydrated and it may die.
Skagem

Absolutely do not have your rabbit in a carrot only diet. They need balance. Some of them don't even like them. Thanks bugs bunny
KAMEKAZE_VIKINGS

Woah, I rant about that so many times to my coworkers lol.
1. Having an obese pet is NOT cute.
2. Even if your pet is a darling at home, it still can bite me and you shouldn't judge me if I put on a muzzle (even more if it's a big, angry dog/cat).
3. Your pet has moods, just like a human.
4. Any change in behavior of your pet should be critically looked at. Why is it that your pet suddenly growls/bites when you touch it in a special place? Could it have pain there?
5. Argh dunno how many times I said that but most people bring in their pet when it's too late, I had so many cases where I had to use much more expensive treatment cause Karen was too lazy to come here with her cat who obviously had a tumor.
6. I wish people would understand a pet is not a toy for your children you buy and stuff away whenever you're done with it.
7. It's NOT cool to make your dog into a killer machine. Especially if I - the vet - have to give it a shot etc.

Yeah... sometimes I highly doubt some people should be allowed to even own stuffed toys...OldRhodesianRabbit

2351683005_a9aa7e3632_o-6020f07d8dbde__700.jpg

DON’T FEED GRAIN FREE FOOD! If your dog actually has a grain allergy it will need a veterinary prescribed diet. Don’t listen to the people at the pet stores. Grain free is causing DCM.
Sharp_Anteater_3045

clipimage-601d6590ec914__700.jpg

If you see a stray cat with a cleanly clipped ear tip do not take it to a shelter. Either take it home to live with you or leave it on the street.

Clipped ears mean they were caught, neutered/spayed by the city/county, and released. This is a way to control cat populations and, over time, protect wildlife. They compete for resources with fertile cats without adding to the population.

In many cities, stray cats are more likely to be adopted from the street than in the shelter. If the cat is taken to a shelter they cannot legally release it because it is now abandoning the animal. That cat will be euthanized, or at best absorbs resources until it finds a home.
Strict_Ad_2094, wikimedia

More info:
a question to r/AskReddit

Good info, and that your animal will not die peacefully at home, I disagree on this one, my dog and my other cats died at home in our arms after we told them don't worry about us, we'll meet again on the rainbow bridge. And around 30 mins to 45 mins they all sleep peacefully. I would not let them died in that cold table.

LeBronFan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,803 2,676 1,826
Alleybux
ratatouille-120-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

When the Universe makes Cats go Vegan.
The world will be a safer place.
5738477142_065caec5e7_o-6020ee1b958ca__700.jpg

Cats. Can’t. Be. Vegan.

[SHUT UP] with your “well I’m vegan and I want my pet to be vegan too!!”

THEN GET A [FREAKING] RABBIT
edenflicka

clipimage-601d5c0ce8096__700.jpg

I am a vet. Do not get a cat and then expect me to amputate its toes because you don't want it scratching the furniture. I refuse to perform declaws on cats because most of the time it is a mutilation for the cosmetics of a couch. There is no medical benefit to the animal.
Justapassingvet, Isabell Hubert Lyall

grumpy-cat-kitzia-12-5ed7b95ec8918__700-601d5ea5e7491__700.jpg

I am a vet. I wish people just even had a BASIC understanding of dog or cat body language. Ffs. The number of videos posted on reddit of animals in distress and its tagged as "oh my little fluffster is so cute when he plays!" Or whatever makes my blood boil. That kind of moronic ignorance is what gets children bit by the pet dog or the cat who is now dying because the owner had no idea of the signs 4 months ago.
little_miss_bumshine

clipimage-6020f5728fb2e__700.jpg

Not a vet, but my mom was a vet tech for years and I've been an animal profession for awhile now.

Cats DO NOT do things because they are mad at you. Your cat did not poop on your boyfriend's pillow as revenge for being yelled at, and they certainly did not pee on your clothes because they're mad you didn't feed them on time. Cats are creatures of habit and prefer routine to feel safe, so when you have drastic changes in behavior (such as eliminating outside the box), it's typically due to one of two reasons: environmental changes or a medical issues. If you cannot think of anything in your home environment that's changed, then you need to get them checked at the vet.

Neither milk nor tuna from a can are good treats for you cat, despite the stereotype.

Unless it's for a legitimate medical reason, declawing cats is cruel. If you don't want cats clawing your furniture, but can't be bothered to do the bare minimum of just researching how you can prevent it, then don't get a cat. Don't have a completely unnecessary medical procedure done on your cat simply because you don't want to be inconvenienced.
YukiXain

If you see a stray cat with a cleanly clipped ear tip do not take it to a shelter. Either take it home to live with you or leave it on the street.

Clipped ears mean they were caught, neutered/spayed by the city/county, and released. This is a way to control cat populations and, over time, protect wildlife. They compete for resources with fertile cats without adding to the population.

In many cities, stray cats are more likely to be adopted from the street than in the shelter. If the cat is taken to a shelter they cannot legally release it because it is now abandoning the animal. That cat will be euthanized, or at best absorbs resources until it finds a home.

clipimage-601d648916e11__700.jpg

If your pet eats your weed stash, let the vet know. They are not going to call the police. They need to know everything they can to diagnose your pet.
D-Rock_502, Kumweni

clipimage-601d60355cc8c__700.jpg

RVT here. There are sooo many.

1. It is not cute or sweet to have an obese pet. It can cause joint issues and heart disease among many things. Stop showing love through over feeding (especially human junk food)...

59-60210cfae8431__700.jpg

RVN Here (U.K.).

1)Vaccinating you’re animals costs WAY less than treating them for potentially fatal diseases. If we wanted your money we would advised AGAINST vaccinating.

2) calling your pet obese isn’t fat shaming. It is no different to having a super skinny underfed animal. Under weight or overweight, this is cruel and your animal is suffering.

3) your animal will not die peacefully at home. It’ll often take days or even weeks of suffering, struggling to get up, struggling to breathe. Please put your animal to sleep when we recommend you to. We are really doing it for the best interest of your pet.

4) your pet is in pain. Just because he is eating or running around doesn’t mean he isn’t in pan. Animals live in the moment, and do not show pain as much as humans as a way to survive. They can still run around with crippling arthritis. If we tell you your pet is in pain, trust us, they are.

5) please neuter your animal. They will not lose their personality. Neuter your animal, is much cheaper than treating them for prostate/testicular cancer, or a womb infection (pyometra). Please neuter your pets.
livzmz

According To Veterinarians, People Should Understand About Their Pets
When the Universe gets rid of Cat claws.
Then it's on sight anywhere across the globe.

Rats might become the real Vets of the Universe.
Ratatouille - trailer

Peace.
:peace

Reaction score
Reactions
5,564 153 66
Alleybux
one tip i can give people that i just recently learned is that some cats are wild and almost problematic, and other cats are calm and docile. it must be their personality or nervous system im not sure. i had my first kitty for a few years, since she was a kitten and she was absolutely perfect. she groomed herself, barely played, didnt wake me up when i was sleeping, no cat litter problems, no scratching and jumping on tables and counters; she was chill and independent. and my next cat, he was very calm too...

but i just got a new kitten about a month ago and....i just never knew cats were so wild, she does everything i listed above and more. the latest thing she does is accidentally step on her poop in the litterbox, she's so clumsy! i have to watch her poop and clean her paws afterwards so she doesnt track sh!t all over the couch etc. i just bought her felliway to calm her down.....if that doesnt work i think i may give her up cuz she's driving me nuts and i didnt sign up for this! lol. im doing my best to make it work w/ her though.....its just that i honestly thought all cats were calm based on my first 2 cats, but now i realize some cats are crazier and more energetic overall and they dont grow out of it either....

Brother Mouzone

We don’t run from where we come from
Reaction score
Reactions
358,912 10,150 3,000
Alleybux
Holding my dog when I had to put him down (he was dying from cancer) was one of the most difficult moments I had.

I can't imagine some people would just leave their alone pet for that

Rainbow26

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,883 2,590 595
Alleybux
I recently had to put my dog down and the vet kept saying that it was okay if i didn't want to stay and some people just cant emotinally take it. I stayed and it only lasted 5 minutes. I just rubbed on him until it was over. I only had my dog for just under 2 years, so I can imagine having one for 10 years and it being harder to sit there through that. But its the least you can do for your dog.

On and On and On and On...
Reaction score
Reactions
95,968 4,159 569
Alleybux
When I had to put down my dog of 15 years, the fµck!ng lady wouldn't let me stay with her. I will never forget the fear and confusion in my dog's eyes. I hope my baby transitioned okay. Maybe the lady could tell I was too emotionally broken. I was so distraught when that door closed, I collapsed right there in the waiting room, yelling and screaming. I just broke down. I had just lost my mother the month before and I felt I was losing everything.

Kali Uchis

LSA HR Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
86,984 4,305 813
Alleybux
From my former vet tech girlfriend, don’t leave your pets to be euthanized without you. It’s hard to be there and it’s hard to watch, but if you leave them they will die scared and looking for you. She had to try and comfort pets whose owner’s couldn’t bring themselves to stay and it’s one of the few things that makes her cry.

this broke my fµck!ng heart.

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
"From my former vet tech girlfriend, don’t leave your pets to be euthanized without you. It’s hard to be there and it’s hard to watch, but if you leave them they will die scared and looking for you. She had to try and comfort pets whose owner’s couldn’t bring themselves to stay and it’s one of the few things that makes her cry."

If I could do it all over again, I shoulda been with Edie, but I just couldn't bring myself to see her "go" after watching her suffer (even after surgery) any longer..So I sat outside the room and when I heard her last "outcry" when they gave her "the shot" the tears just flowed from my eyes all the way back home...I even cried as I buried her in a driving rain next to our garage....Mr. Gzu made a wooden cross, and I found a stone that will make a good headstone once I get it painted...

It's helpful knowing that she's "up on the bridge" romping around again though...

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
When I had to put down my dog of 15 years, the fµck!ng lady wouldn't let me stay with her. I will never forget the fear and confusion in my dog's eyes. I hope my baby transitioned okay. Maybe the lady could tell I was too emotionally broken. I was so distraught when that door closed, I collapsed right there in the waiting room, yelling and screaming. I just broke down. I had just lost my mother the month before and I felt I was losing everything.

I SOOOOO totally understand this....My cat was 14 yrs old...my dog is 11 and I find myself sitting on pins and needles with him everytime he comes down with something....

My heart goes out to you....seriously.....

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,811 11,972 10,199
Alleybux
clipimage-6020edcd60c4d__700.jpg

Ex vet tech.

Dogs and pancreatitis. It Can happen by eating the wrong food once, and it can kill an otherwise healthy dog within 2-3 days.

For the love of god. Don’t feed your dog table food. 1 intake of the wrong food can potentially cause pancreatitis. Most people think that “we rarely do it” so it’s okay to sneak some sausage to their dog during dinner

No no no. One time Can trigger it and it can be extremely deadly.

Also hand in hand with this: if your dog isn’t eating or drinking water, it needs medical attention. Don’t “wait a few days” if it isn’t drinking or eating. It will get dehydrated and it may die.
Skagem

Absolutely do not have your rabbit in a carrot only diet. They need balance. Some of them don't even like them. Thanks bugs bunny
KAMEKAZE_VIKINGS

Woah, I rant about that so many times to my coworkers lol.
1. Having an obese pet is NOT cute.
2. Even if your pet is a darling at home, it still can bite me and you shouldn't judge me if I put on a muzzle (even more if it's a big, angry dog/cat).
3. Your pet has moods, just like a human.
4. Any change in behavior of your pet should be critically looked at. Why is it that your pet suddenly growls/bites when you touch it in a special place? Could it have pain there?
5. Argh dunno how many times I said that but most people bring in their pet when it's too late, I had so many cases where I had to use much more expensive treatment cause Karen was too lazy to come here with her cat who obviously had a tumor.
6. I wish people would understand a pet is not a toy for your children you buy and stuff away whenever you're done with it.
7. It's NOT cool to make your dog into a killer machine. Especially if I - the vet - have to give it a shot etc.

Yeah... sometimes I highly doubt some people should be allowed to even own stuffed toys...OldRhodesianRabbit

2351683005_a9aa7e3632_o-6020f07d8dbde__700.jpg

DON’T FEED GRAIN FREE FOOD! If your dog actually has a grain allergy it will need a veterinary prescribed diet. Don’t listen to the people at the pet stores. Grain free is causing DCM.
Sharp_Anteater_3045

More info:
a question to r/AskReddit

Good info, and that your animal will not die peacefully at home, I disagree on this one, my dog and my other cats died at home in our arms after we told them don't worry about us, we'll meet again on the rainbow bridge. And around 30 mins to 45 mins they all sleep peacefully. I would not let them died in that cold table.
My precious beloved died in my arms at the vet's office.

Even though I have another dog, I soooo miss him. He was one of a kind. Can't replace a child.

Last edited:

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,592 4,864 254
Alleybux

If this is the case, I would take my dog to elsewhere that I can stay with my baby, they can't give you that last fµck!ng 5 mins and hell with them. You can tell this vet ain't a good one, I hope you find another vets that actually care about pet parents emotions.

Reaction score
Reactions
10,494 74 36
Alleybux
@GrtGzu

I'm so sorry for your loss. I was so used to seeing you mention Edie in cat threads. I knew "Hussy" (@HotDamn), "my three girls" (@krikzil) or Eddie would be mentioned. I had to blink when I first started to read your post because you referred to her in the past tense and my brain couldn't register it.

Just know somebody else appreciated Edie thanks to your stories. :rose

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
Hey Krizzie!!! (@krikzil) and Crunchy!! (@Crunchy Nipples)...and (@HotDamn) - I've missed you guys!!!

Yeah, I was telling @Meeow not too long ago about how I hate the holiday season these days....Edie got sick on Thanksgiving Day when I noticed she had chewed on one of her toes (that had to be amputated a couple days after) and by Dec. 28th, I was burying her.....When it got to the point where she was sneezing blood, that's when I knew it was "time"..Vet said it was a form of cancer...The roof of her mouth looked like a "grey" Grand Canyon....I was floored...

This is the first time I've been back on this board cuz January was the "month from hell" for me....Dutch still has this recurring yeast infection in the base of his tail, Mr. Gzu was in the hospital TWICE for blood transfusions (and the cleaning crew threw all of his personal belongings out in the trash including our car keys, house keys, his credit card and other "stuff" in his wallet and we are in the process of suing them for the loss) - the furnace crapped out and the modem died and had AT&T get us a new one....

But my "DutchBoy" is still rolling on.....I miss Edie everyday (still have a hand-stitched pic of her hanging over my bed) and have had dreams about getting a new kitty...

I retired last Oct. 1st...Told ya'll I was gonna do it, and I'm dam glad I did....

HotDamn

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
214,793 7,909 741
Alleybux
Hey Krizzie!!! (@krikzil) and Crunchy!! (@Crunchy Nipples)...and (@HotDamn) - I've missed you guys!!!

Yeah, I was telling @Meeow not too long ago about how I hate the holiday season these days....Edie got sick on Thanksgiving Day when I noticed she had chewed on one of her toes (that had to be amputated a couple days after) and by Dec. 28th, I was burying her.....When it got to the point where she was sneezing blood, that's when I knew it was "time"..Vet said it was a form of cancer...The roof of her mouth looked like a "grey" Grand Canyon....I was floored...

This is the first time I've been back on this board cuz January was the "month from hell" for me....Dutch still has this recurring yeast infection in the base of his tail, Mr. Gzu was in the hospital TWICE for blood transfusions (and the cleaning crew threw all of his personal belongings out in the trash including our car keys, house keys, his credit card and other "stuff" in his wallet and we are in the process of suing them for the loss) - the furnace crapped out and the modem died and had AT&T get us a new one....

But my "DutchBoy" is still rolling on.....I miss Edie everyday (still have a hand-stitched pic of her hanging over my bed) and have had dreams about getting a new kitty...

I retired last Oct. 1st...Told ya'll I was gonna do it, and I'm dam glad I did....

I am so sorry to hear about Edie. Please take care of yourself. You have a lot to deal with right now.

Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and Mr. Gzu.
hugs.png
hugs.png

PM me if you ever need to vent or chat.

Reaction score
Reactions
10,494 74 36
Alleybux
@GrtGzu

I hope things improve for yourself, Mr. GrtGzu and Dutch. You have a lot to deal with, so I hope you have time to care and focus on yourself.

As hurtful as it is, it's a blessing that Edie is no longer in pain. I know she had a good life thanks to you and your family. Take things one day at a time, and keep smiling.

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
@GrtGzu

I hope things improve for yourself, Mr. GrtGzu and Dutch. You have a lot to deal with, so I hope you have time to care and focus on yourself.

As hurtful as it is, it's a blessing that Edie is no longer in pain. I know she had a good life thanks to you and your family. Take things one day at a time, and keep smiling.

We're getting back on track slowly, but surely...thanks Crunchy - you're a DOLL!!

And you're right - Edie's much better now that she's no longer suffering...I remember sitting up nights with her in my lap trying to make her more comfortable, but it just didn't work out like that and I kinda knew she wouldn't be here much longer....But for 14 years, she gave me nothing but pure JOY!

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,592 4,864 254
Alleybux

I'm really sorry to hear that, please take care of yourself Ms. Gzu!!

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
I am so sorry to hear about Edie. Please take care of yourself. You have a lot to deal with right now.

Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and Mr. Gzu.
hugs.png
hugs.png

PM me if you ever need to vent or chat.

Aw thanks, HotD!! to be fair, Edie has been gone since Dec. 2015, but it still feels like just yesterday....

When did you get to become a super Mod??? VERY nice!!!!!

HotDamn

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
214,793 7,909 741
Alleybux
Aw thanks, HotD!! to be fair, Edie has been gone since Dec. 2015, but it still feels like just yesterday....

When did you get to become a super Mod??? VERY nice!!!!!

December. I feel like I have been a Mod for a hundred years. LSA foolery is aging me. :LOL:

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,852 2,048 2,097
Alleybux

Hi. I’m so sorry to hear about Edie and all the crap you’ve been through recently.

Retired? I’m so jealous!

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
December. I feel like I have been a Mod for a hundred years. LSA foolery is aging me. :LOL:

"just wait til you git to be MY age", LOL!!! Heard that before??

Actually, I'm doin' ok for 62..(I "believe").Thanks Doll...

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
I'm really sorry to hear that, please take care of yourself Ms. Gzu!!

Hey Meems!!!! It's been rather rough around here for the last month or so, but I tend to bounce back in spite of such....(I'm still a "60's-70's "kid" you know, and we had much "nerve" back then, that I found that I haven't really lost thru the years)...

It's so very cool to be back here on this forum - the first brought me here....Won't be here erry-day like I used to (cuz I was at work, lol!) cuz I still got a lot of "home-makin' to git done, and get back into my photography, "Bob Ross" paintin' thing (found my old ones I did back in the 80's) and FINALLY got the "sittin' room" cleaned out and prepped to be repainted once Mr.Guzu gets "right" again...Hell, I might just do it my dam self, if he's not able...Not like I never painted a whole room before anyway, long before I even met him....

I really don't wanna derail this thread though, so I think I should shut up and go back upstairs...I will update alla yall thru a PM soon.....

GrtGzu

Get off my grass dammit.
Reaction score
Reactions
8,522 144 33
Alleybux
Hi. I’m so sorry to hear about Edie and all the crap you’ve been through recently.

Retired? I’m so jealous!

Your time is comin' my dear....Just "wait on it"...I really didn't see mine comin' so early, but when I started thinkin' about it a couple years ago, I realized that it would indeed be soon, cuz quite frankly - I'm just "tired of doing it" and now see why my dad did it back while I was still in college...

When you been workin' since your teenage years, that sh!t adds up, and so does your "energy"...I said before that I will NOT work until I'm too old to enjoy what years I may have left..

And I meant what I said....

krikzil

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,852 2,048 2,097
Alleybux
Your time is comin' my dear....Just "wait on it"...I really didn't see mine comin' so early, but when I started thinkin' about it a couple years ago, I realized that it would indeed be soon, cuz quite frankly - I'm just "tired of doing it" and now see why my dad did it back while I was still in college...

When you been workin' since your teenage years, that sh!t adds up, and so does your "energy"...I said before that I will NOT work until I'm too old to enjoy what years I may have left..

And I meant what I said....

I hear ya. I to have been working since my teen years and I’m planning on retiring early in a couple of years. Tick tock.

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,592 4,864 254
Alleybux
Hey Meems!!!! It's been rather rough around here for the last month or so, but I tend to bounce back in spite of such....(I'm still a "60's-70's "kid" you know, and we had much "nerve" back then, that I found that I haven't really lost thru the years)...

It's so very cool to be back here on this forum - the first brought me here....Won't be here erry-day like I used to (cuz I was at work, lol!) cuz I still got a lot of "home-makin' to git done, and get back into my photography, "Bob Ross" paintin' thing (found my old ones I did back in the 80's) and FINALLY got the "sittin' room" cleaned out and prepped to be repainted once Mr.Guzu gets "right" again...Hell, I might just do it my dam self, if he's not able...Not like I never painted a whole room before anyway, long before I even met him....

I really don't wanna derail this thread though, so I think I should shut up and go back upstairs...I will update alla yall thru a PM soon.....

You don't miss anything on here Ms.Gzu, take as much time you need, remember one day at a time :)

anaisnin

Semi-Retired, Still Messy
Reaction score
Reactions
259,514 4,845 1,260
Alleybux
I spent nearly $800 in the past 40 days. My dog is 15 years old and is doing relatively well although too old to go under again for a surgery so he will have ongoing issues for the rest of his life. Did I just mention he's doing relatively well for his age and it still cost me $800? Pets are expensive and they're 100% worth every penny but please don't get one if you're not in the position to get them medical care, including preventative care, including labs, if you don't have the disposable income at the moment. Don't make yourself feel better by hiding behind it's better to provide a home than for the animal to be at a shelter or rescue. No, they need ongoing care and ongoing nurture.