Reaction score
Reactions
172,149 14,032 2,545
Alleybux
'Home Alone' and 'Sopranos' actor John Heard dead at 71

'Home Alone' and 'Sopranos' actor John Heard dead at 71
  • john-heard-gty-jt-170722_12x5_992.jpg
    Rodrigo Vaz/Getty Images
John Heard attends The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Oscars Outdoors screening of "Big" at Oscars Outdoors, July 20, 2013 in Hollywood, Calif.more +

John Heard, known for his memorable roles in the "Home Alone" movies and "The Sopranos," died on Friday, the Santa Clara County medical examiner’s office confirmed to ABC News. Heard was 71, the medical examiner said.

Heard's rep did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment, and the details of his death remain unknown.

Born John Matthew Heard in Washington, D.C., the actor was known for his many television and film roles, which spanned four decades.

He launched his career with a role in a 1974 off-Broadway production of "The Wager." Heard then appeared in a series of stage roles on Broadway, including his Obie Award-winning performance in "Othello" in 1979.

One of Heard's most iconic roles came when he portrayed Peter McCallister in the 1990 family comedy "Home Alone" and its 1992 sequel "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York." He also earned an Emmy Award nomination for his guest role on "The Sopranos," where he portrayed Detective Vin Makazian.

Heard's film and TV career included roles in "Chilly Scenes of Winter," "Heart Beat" and "Cutter's Way," along with roles in 1980s and 1990s classics, such as "Big," "Beaches," "The Pelican Brief," Most recently he had a role on the TV procedural drama "APB."

Heard, who lived in Studio City, California at the time of his death, is survived by three children, John Matthew Heard III, Max Heard and Annika Heard.

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
659,000 274,527 8,222
Alleybux
RIP! I remember him from several TV shows.
What exactly is 'minor backsurgery'? They send ppl home way too early.

Vayerling

BLESSED while you OBSESS!
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
56,289 1,650 1,998
Alleybux
John Heard was a woman beater. A la Jackson Browne!
Heard beat many women who were either his wife or girlfriend at the time.
It didn't hurt his career aka white male privilege free pass of no accountability!

He did get arrested for beating ex-girlfriend actress Melissa Leo (Homicide:Life on the Street). He has a son with Leo. This is on old picture of Ms. Leo. Melissa Leo - IMDb

ucjsGmLUrZe5YgBJ2YxiFfKlAbI.jpg

Current photo
MV5BMTc3MDAxOTkyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg1MDIzNA@@._V1_UY317_CR8,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Actor Heard faces new harassment charges
December 18, 1996|By Michael James | Michael James,SUN STAFF
A long-running domestic dispute between movie actor John Heard and "Homicide" actress Melissa Leo moved yesterday to a Baltimore courtroom, where prosecutors dropped a stalking charge against Heard but named him in new harassment charges.

Leo, 36, who plays a tough police detective in the NBC television series, alleges in court papers that Heard has been stalking their 9-year-old son, whom she was awarded custody of after a bitter 1994 court battle.

She and Heard had a three-year relationship in the 1980s, but they were never married.

Heard, noted for his role as Macaulay Culkin's father in the "Home Alone" movies, said as he left Baltimore District Court that he is still upset over the custody ruling that awarded Leo their son, John Matthew.

Heard, 45, was arrested in the lobby of his Upper West Side apartment building at 347 W. 84th St. at 10:25 p.m. Sunday and charged with third-degree assault after he allegedly slapped Melissa Leo, 30, said police spokeswoman Sgt. Tina Mohrmann.

Heard was released on his own recognizance pending a hearing on Nov. 25. A Manhattan
pixel.gif

I know a producer and director who has been in the business for over 35 years. His most "recent" work is on OITNB. He has worked with John Heard. John Heard's case of slapping was really more severe then a slap. He beat Leo like OJ would beat Nicole. He was protected and paid a few women off not to go to the authorities or the tabloids. He was misogynist, woman beater and an occasional actor.

Last edited:

JustGrace

Once Pleasant Now Cynical
Reaction score
Reactions
83,150 728 252
Alleybux
Wow, another piece of my childhood gone.

I don't know if I can watch Home Alone again.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,149 14,032 2,545
Alleybux
It didn't hurt his career aka white male privilege free pass of no accountability!

He did get arrested for beating ex-girlfriend actress Melissa Leo (Homicide:Life on the Street). He has a son with Leo. This is on old picture of Ms. Leo. Melissa Leo - IMDb

Current photo
MV5BMTc3MDAxOTkyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg1MDIzNA@@._V1_UY317_CR8,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

A long-running domestic dispute between movie actor John Heard and "Homicide" actress Melissa Leo moved yesterday to a Baltimore courtroom, where prosecutors dropped a stalking charge against Heard but named him in new harassment charges.

Leo, 36, who plays a tough police detective in the NBC television series, alleges in court papers that Heard has been stalking their 9-year-old son, whom she was awarded custody of after a bitter 1994 court battle.

She and Heard had a three-year relationship in the 1980s, but they were never married.

Heard, noted for his role as Macaulay Culkin's father in the "Home Alone" movies, said as he left Baltimore District Court that he is still upset over the custody ruling that awarded Leo their son, John Matthew.

Heard, 45, was arrested in the lobby of his Upper West Side apartment building at 347 W. 84th St. at 10:25 p.m. Sunday and charged with third-degree assault after he allegedly slapped Melissa Leo, 30, said police spokeswoman Sgt. Tina Mohrmann.

Heard was released on his own recognizance pending a hearing on Nov. 25. A Manhattan
pixel.gif

I know a producer and director who has been in the business for over 35 years. His most "recent" work is on OITNB. He has worked with John Heard. John Heard's case of slapping was really more severe then a slap. He beat Leo like OJ would beat Nicole. He was protected and paid a few women off not to go to the authorities or the tabloids. He was misogynist, woman beater and an occasional actor.

Wow I legit didn't know about this I knew him as the dude from Home Alone and not much else. He apparently has been married 3 times his marriage to Margot Kidder lasted 6 days supposedly.

GeorgeSorrows

#BankrollingSocieties
Reaction score
Reactions
72,850 669 519
Alleybux

Current photo

pixel.gif

That's messed up.

strawberryanise

Not Quilty!
Reaction score
Reactions
252,140 9,154 877
Alleybux
Yup, I remember hearing he was a woman beater. (I didn't know about Jackson Browne though.)

71 is kind of young to die.

kaerae

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,917 157 26
Alleybux
Man, his ass was always on the Baltimore news for this sh!t. The production company for Homicide had to take out a restraining order against because he would storm the sets looking for her when they were doing location shots. Just her having a restraining order did no good. I can't believe that any HW production would even put up with his crazy ass after all this.

He did get arrested for beating ex-girlfriend actress Melissa Leo (Homicide:Life on the Street). He has a son with Leo.

TheLionQueen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,858 686 192
Alleybux
I liked him in Big & Awakenings......... Had no idea he was a woman beater, smh.

Trancer

The Sorcerer Supreme. Just chillin'.
Reaction score
Reactions
199,416 5,266 188
Alleybux
Wow. Sounds like his son ODed or committed suicide. Appears the ex blames John. John had surgery but since his behavior was so horrible he probably died alone in a hotel. Could also be a suicide.

LaurieB

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,641 1,408 297
Alleybux
Man, his ass was always on the Baltimore news for this sh!t. The production company for Homicide had to take out a restraining order against because he would storm the sets looking for her when they were doing location shots. Just her having a restraining order did no good. I can't believe that any HW production would even put up with his crazy ass after all this.

I remember this back then - and she got fired not long after. They claimed it was cos she wasn't hot enough (I think their words might've literally been she wasn't "f***able") but I wonder if all this drama hurt too.

I was shocked since I knew him from Home Alone and other stuff where he always seemed nice. I didn't get then that acting is not the person.

M.A.R

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
157,678 8,626 481
Alleybux
Didn't know that about John and Melissa. He was a good actor. RIP

MambaForeva

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
293,928 9,824 4,003
Alleybux

Current photo

pixel.gif

To be fair it's not like he had a huge career or anything to begin with. He is best known as the dad from Home Alone.

kaerae

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,917 157 26
Alleybux
I remember this back then - and she got fired not long after. They claimed it was cos she wasn't hot enough (I think their words might've literally been she wasn't "f***able") but I wonder if all this drama hurt too.

I was shocked since I knew him from Home Alone and other stuff where he always seemed nice. I didn't get then that acting is not the person.

Dav1d S1m0n is a misogynist asshole, so I wouldn't doubt if that was said about her. More than likely, he was upset that she couldn't be bullied. She's an actress that stands up for herself professionally and won't play Hollywood games.

Love2ShopMN

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,712 295 79
Alleybux
This explains the radio silence surrounding him. Usually celebs and those adjacent to them are quick to send an outpouring of condolences.

dolly1971

Fair and Balanced
Reaction score
Reactions
57,259 2,848 3,439
Alleybux
I remembered him in Big, but he appeared in quite alot of things, apart from Home Alone.

Mowglis Road

Free Spirit
Reaction score
Reactions
162,446 1,702 571
Alleybux
Wasn't a fan of his, but I loved and grew up with Home Alone, and that's where I know him from.

RIP to he and his son.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,149 14,032 2,545
Alleybux

brooklyngal73

SteelyDanDonaldFagenFan
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
23,642 630 170
Alleybux
Yup, Jackson was known to abuse Darryl Hannah--think that he was arrested in the 90's-early 00's for hitting her.

Yup, I remember hearing he was a woman beater. (I didn't know about Jackson Browne though.)

71 is kind of young to die.

WWE Diva

90s Kid
Reaction score
Reactions
269,532 17,667 834
Alleybux
Such a good actor. It didn't matter that he wasn't A-list because his performances spoke for themselves. He gave one of his best performances in "Deceived" with Goldie Hawn. Underrated classic.