Quantcast

Addressing the High /interracial DV Rates

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,351 14,925 3,744
Alleybux
Regardless of race and ethnicity, domestic violence occurs when there is an imbalance of power in the relationship—when one partner uses physical violence as well as tactics like emotional abuse, verbal abuse, and financial abuse to maintain control. And abuse is never justified, regardless of the person's race or culture.

Other people have a personality disorder or a mental health issue that causes them to be violent and controlling. And still others use abusive and controlling tactics because they witnessed these types of behaviors growing up.

Plus, the subject of abuse can be both difficult and embarrassing for them to discuss outside of the household. Therefore, most researchers speculate that intimate partner violence is probably vastly under-reported, especially among certain ethnic groups in the United States, since it's more likely to be kept secret.

The number of interracial couples in the U.S. is growing, but they often receive little support. Although previous studies have explored the relationship between low social support and decreased relationship satisfaction in interracial couples, there are few studies on intimate partner violence (IPV) in these couples. To better understand IPV in interracial couples compared to monoracial couples, all police-reported IPV events across a municipality were examined. Odds ratios showed differences between interracial and ethnic minority monoracial couples.

Interracial couples were more likely to have a history of prior IPV (OR = 2.60), engage in mutual assault (OR = 2.36), and result in perpetrator arrest (OR = 1.71) than ethnic minority monoracial couples. Victims of IPV in interracial couples were also more likely to be injured (OR = 1.37). There were no significant differences between the couples in terms of substance use or children present during the IPV event.

Differences between IPV in interracial and White couples also emerged. Interracial couples were more likely to have children present (OR = 1.84), to have a prior report (OR = 1.98), to result in victim injury (OR = 1.73), and to result in perpetrator arrest than White couples (OR = 2.18). Interracial couples were more likely to engage in mutual assault than White couples (OR = 2.94). However, interracial couples were about 50% less likely than White couples to use drugs or alcohol before or during the IPV event. Research is needed to better understand the unique challenges and needs faced by interracial couples to help them sustain healthy partnerships.

OctoberBlu

The Heiress
Reaction score
Reactions
73,749 1,872 306
Alleybux
I'm no expert, but I feel that a lot of these men are in interracial relationships because the women of their own race won't except them and their behavior, so they see the other race of women as more accepting (and sometimes they are) or less than. This "love" they have for women outside their race stems from indifference. They don't care about women, especially women from their own race whom they feel have rejected them.

Overall abusers look for partners with low self esteem, the type of people that will accept anything and stick around.

I feel there's something else I'm missing from the equation, so I look forward to what others have to say.

D E L E T E

DELETE ACCOUNT
Reaction score
Reactions
86,235 6,032 1,872
Alleybux
I'm no expert, but I feel that a lot of these men are in interracial relationships because the women of their own race won't except them and their behavior, so they see the other race of women as more accepting (and sometimes they are) or less than. This "love" they have for women outside their race stems from indifference. They don't care about women, especially women from their own race whom they feel have rejected them.

Overall abusers look for partners with low self esteem, the type of people that will accept anything and stick around.

I feel there's something else I'm missing from the equation, so I look forward to what others have to say.
Or try to hide their red flags behind "cultural differences" like them 90 day fiance guys.

yepthatsme03

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,983 251 150
Alleybux
I wish they would talk more about the race of the man and how that impacts these rates, but I suppose that might be taboo. I think there might be a socioeconomic component, too. Usually lower income couples have higher rates of domestic violence regardless of race, and aren’t interracial couples usually on unequal economic footing?

I really don’t know that stats, but I think I read that there’s usually a difference in household incomes of interracial couples compared to monoracial couples. Or maybe it was that working class people are more likely to marry interracially, I’ll have to look it up.

I also think many minorities are more likely to accept a troubled white person than someone of their own background, especially women. White people are given more chances and are held to a different standard. There may also be lack of familiarity. Not being able to detect certain cues or warning signs as a result of coming from different backgrounds with differing social norms.

Last edited:

Balloo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
119,731 3,540 1,102
Alleybux
If I had to guess, it's because:

1. More fight over culture differences leading to more instances of abuse

2. Racism and/or precieved inferiority on the abuser's part

3. The abuser had a delusional idea of how women from that race will act and gets furious when he realizes she's normal.

4. Don't groan me, but men especially who date out tend to have something wrong with them mentally. And women who do it usually do it because they had bad examples in their fathers, brothers, uncles, etc....they think a new race will be less abusive but they don't address the actual childhood wounds. So they end up with the same type of man in a new color.

CakeSlice

The term "of colour" is a nothing burger.
Reaction score
Reactions
144,514 6,658 6,183
Alleybux
Dating out of self-hate leaves you open to be abused and your insecurities exploited.

If you believe that your race is trash and your partner co-signs that, you’re in for hell because you ARE that race.

Additionally, all people are drones that mimic what they see around them. When people of all races see BP being mistreated, they’ll test to see if they can do it too.

I’ll never stop saying this: self-love heals all.

Bigkev609

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
162 3
Alleybux
I personally felt like I needed someone who could relate to the injustice I deal with, and the constant pressure of being black in America.

I feel like alot of interracial couples may share hobbies or interests but after that is there anything else they can relate to intellectually or culturally, probably not.

You guys are right I think most people do date outside of their race for all the wrong reasons and end up stuck with someone who they can't even relate to regardless of the race.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,670 13,179 1,858
Alleybux
I wish they would talk more about the race of the man and how that impacts these rates, but I suppose that might be taboo. I think there might be a socioeconomic component, too. Usually lower income couples have higher rates of domestic violence regardless of race, and aren’t interracial couples usually on unequal economic footing?

I really don’t know that stats, but I think I read that there’s usually a difference in household incomes of interracial couples compared to monoracial couples. Or maybe it was that working class people are more likely to marry interracially, I’ll have to look it up.

I also think many minorities are more likely to accept a troubled white person than someone of their own background, especially women. White people are given more chances and are held to a different standard. There may also be lack of familiarity. Not being able to detect certain cues or warning signs as a result of coming from different backgrounds with differing social norms.
Class is not a determinant of domestic violence. Women all over the world from the poorest in refugee camps to the richest in palaces are survivors of domestic violence.
~~~~~~~
You hit on it in your last sentence. Women in interracial relationships do not have the cultural knowledge of acceptable behavior. When the red flags emerge, the abusers explains it as a cultural difference. The women are often purposely isolated from relationships with others of their abusers culture so they have no one to confide or ask if the behavior is normal.

JCsThugAppeal

It's called FASHION, sweetie...
Reaction score
Reactions
95,075 1,458 97
Alleybux
To better understand IPV in interracial couples compared to monoracial couples, all police-reported IPV events across a municipality were examined. Odds ratios showed differences between interracial and ethnic minority monoracial couples.
I'd like to know the demographic information about this municipality overall and the average demographic stats for the couples (age, income, post-secondary education, which type of M-W pairings are most common among IR couples). This study is only for 1 city and depending on its size the sample taken from reported IPV incidents could be too small for a meaningful result (<100).

JasminaRege

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,443 2,947 1,348
Alleybux

Correct.

Nouraj

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
27,220 888 1,533
Alleybux

Or try to hide their red flags behind "cultural differences" like them 90 day fiance guys.

My idiot parents are a good example of this.
Difference in culture and religion, which they used against each other when sh!t hit the fan. Neither was willing to accept the other’s differences. And they had no shame expressing this in front of me and my siblings as little children.
As I got older, I came to understand that both were equally toxic for the other, and only got with each other because they knew no self respecting person would get with them.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,863 3,302 3,198
Alleybux
Regardless of race and ethnicity, domestic violence occurs when there is an imbalance of power in the relationship—when one partner uses physical violence as well as tactics like emotional abuse, verbal abuse, and financial abuse to maintain control. And abuse is never justified, regardless of the person's race or culture.

Other people have a personality disorder or a mental health issue that causes them to be violent and controlling. And still others use abusive and controlling tactics because they witnessed these types of behaviors growing up.

Plus, the subject of abuse can be both difficult and embarrassing for them to discuss outside of the household. Therefore, most researchers speculate that intimate partner violence is probably vastly under-reported, especially among certain ethnic groups in the United States, since it's more likely to be kept secret.

The number of interracial couples in the U.S. is growing, but they often receive little support. Although previous studies have explored the relationship between low social support and decreased relationship satisfaction in interracial couples, there are few studies on intimate partner violence (IPV) in these couples. To better understand IPV in interracial couples compared to monoracial couples, all police-reported IPV events across a municipality were examined. Odds ratios showed differences between interracial and ethnic minority monoracial couples.

Interracial couples were more likely to have a history of prior IPV (OR = 2.60), engage in mutual assault (OR = 2.36), and result in perpetrator arrest (OR = 1.71) than ethnic minority monoracial couples. Victims of IPV in interracial couples were also more likely to be injured (OR = 1.37). There were no significant differences between the couples in terms of substance use or children present during the IPV event.

Differences between IPV in interracial and White couples also emerged. Interracial couples were more likely to have children present (OR = 1.84), to have a prior report (OR = 1.98), to result in victim injury (OR = 1.73), and to result in perpetrator arrest than White couples (OR = 2.18). Interracial couples were more likely to engage in mutual assault than White couples (OR = 2.94). However, interracial couples were about 50% less likely than White couples to use drugs or alcohol before or during the IPV event. Research is needed to better understand the unique challenges and needs faced by interracial couples to help them sustain healthy partnerships.

So what theyre saying is that black men keep whipping their white womens asses. We been knew!

ORNELLA

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,097 4,147 561
Alleybux
However, interracial couples were about 50% less likely than White couples to use drugs or alcohol before or during the IPV event.
One thing I've noticed about many Interracial couples is that they are ALWAYS using drugs so how is this possible?

County4Life

Somewhere with Remy.
Reaction score
Reactions
493,008 7,539 2,270
Alleybux
What's missing in this is the truth. A mofo has more red flags than a Communist Convention but they're excused due to his race.

Black women who DATE IR need to realize MEN ARE MEN. His race doesn't mean he's Prince Charming come to life. A bastard gon be a bastard. Some will also tolerate more from non BM than they EVER would from a Black man because they see him as a prize.

Non Black women need to understand some BM are fµck!ng insane. Stop ignoring the same red flags because they think he won't treat them like he would a Black woman. Misogynoir is the cousin of misoygny.

He will beat your ass too Becky/Ming/Consuelo. I would argue he'd be even more vicious because he doesn't want to let his prized possession go.

Ilykeggs

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,676 3,273 684
Alleybux
We all need to remember that Men are men first and foremost regardless of race. Any man is capable of any form of violence against women.

the_spiral

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
24,707 641 151
Alleybux
What's missing in this is the truth. A mofo has more red flags than a Communist Convention but they're excused due to his race.

Black women who DATE IR need to realize MEN ARE MEN. His race doesn't mean he's Prince Charming come to life. A bastard gon be a bastard. Some will also tolerate more from non BM than they EVER would from a Black man because they see him as a prize.

Non Black women need to understand some BM are fµck!ng insane. Stop ignoring the same red flags because they think he won't treat them like he would a Black woman. Misogynoir is the cousin of misoygny.

He will beat your ass too Becky/Ming/Consuelo. I would argue he'd be even more vicious because he doesn't want to let his prized possession go.
I actually don’t think they see these women as “prized possessions.” Divorce rates for BM in IR relationships are way higher than other IR couples, and they walk out on these women & their kids at even higher rates than they do BW. Statistics don’t lie. It’s clearly just a conquest for them. But I do think a lot of non-Black women get gassed up by this “prized possession” nonsense and think a BM will be grateful to be with them. It’s not until he beats them, cheats on them, abandons his kids etc. that the harsh reality sets in. If they’re looking for loyal men who won’t leave them, BM are pretty much the worst choices.

Last edited:

MalcolmOBAMA

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,439 819 919
Alleybux
The white males commit DV in interracial relationships towards black women. Lita sullivan, kinnedy Smith, chad wheeler's victim, molly toon, the white male navy guy from San Diego that killed his black wife, and kept her body in a freezer for 2 years.

White males are not immune from committing Domestic violence against black women also.

MiyahLee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,241 8,765 8,258
Alleybux
The white males commit DV in interracial relationships towards black women. Lita sullivan, kinnedy Smith, chad wheeler's victim, molly toon, the white male navy guy from San Diego that killed his black wife, and kept her body in a freezer for 2 years.

White males are not immune from committing Domestic violence against black women also.
Wait... Did someone say they were? I'm confused..

AstoldbyWind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
195,750 5,012 1,177
Alleybux

This all of this. Thank you