Quantcast

ADOS Are you all watching Genius of a Aretha tonight?

Reaction score
Reactions
3,328 164 44
Alleybux
I'm watching it and I'm curious. What happened to Ken E. Cunningham? He was her road manager and father of her youngest son. Did he just disappeared or he went back to his wife? He did mention that he was married. I was wondering.

denise1970

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,299 192 200
Alleybux
I think she is doing good. Edward Jordan is her first two kids father.
I don’t know Cindys faults or views but she is playing this role good

Reaction score
Reactions
2,931 86 19
Alleybux
The best part of the movie was the ending when they showed a snippet of the real Queen of Soul slaying Nessum Dorma at the Grammys. The series got sloppy at the end. When they brought Ken Cunningham in, they left out their child together, very weird. There was no mention of him whatsoever. They made it seem like Ken was her boyfriend for a brief time before she met Glynn. Aretha's son Clarence introduced her to Glynn. They left that out too and it would have been something cute to add. They seemed to want to focus on Rev. CL Franklin's antics more than anything.

Dani86

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,412 51 13
Alleybux
No shade, but Cynthia reads more like Mary J Blige than Aretha Franklin.

Did Cynthia watch anything with Aretha? Did she do any research? Anything? I know the family didn't support it but that's no excuse.

The actual series is well acted but only if I didn't think she was playing Aretha.

Its strange and I don't see any of the mannerisms, physical differences aside.

I'm even turned off by MLK in this. Dude in Selma movie didn't look like MLK, but he embodied him (and they had a similar shaped head). This square-headed mf-er ain't doing it for me.

And why Aretha's husband remind me of a filled-out Dave Chappell?

What in the time-haters hell am I watching?

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
No shade, but Cynthia reads more like Mary J Blige than Aretha Franklin.

Did Cynthia watch anything with Aretha? Did she do any research? Anything? I know the family didn't support it but that's no excuse.

The actual series is well acted but only if I didn't think she was playing Aretha.

Its strange and I don't see any of the mannerisms, physical differences aside.

I'm even turned off by MLK in this. Dude in Selma movie didn't look like MLK, but he embodied him (and they had a similar shaped head). This square-headed mf-er ain't doing it for me.

And why Aretha's husband remind me of a filled-out Dave Chappell?

What in the time-haters hell am I watching?
She looks exactly like MJB! Like so much alike! however, if there is an MJB docudrama I do not want Erivo playing her either. I also doubt she can sing any of MJB songs

LaBamba

Up in the clouds, me and my sheitel
Reaction score
Reactions
251,244 11,118 1,704
Alleybux
I wanted to watch because one of my girls from the Little Women shows is in it, but I can’t overcome my strong distaste for Erivo so...

I hope in the official bio pic the little woman gospel singer, Sammie Bryant, has a part in the JHud movie. I had never heard of her before so I looked her up on YouTube, she had a beautiful anointed voice.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,328 164 44
Alleybux
The best part of the movie was the ending when they showed a snippet of the real Queen of Soul slaying Nessum Dorma at the Grammys. The series got sloppy at the end. When they brought Ken Cunningham in, they left out their child together, very weird. There was no mention of him whatsoever. They made it seem like Ken was her boyfriend for a brief time before she met Glynn. Aretha's son Clarence introduced her to Glynn. They left that out too and it would have been something cute to add. They seemed to want to focus on Rev. CL Franklin's antics more than anything.

The Ken E. Cunningham part baffled me. They were together six years and they had a child together. Then he just left and disappeared. Her brother Cecil, introduced them but he is a complete mystery. Maybe they wanted to keep it private, who knows.

soulmusic99

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,238 815 194
Alleybux
Aretha was a beautiful woman and I still cannot believe they cast that ugly toad to portray her smh

Reaction score
Reactions
2,931 86 19
Alleybux
Aretha was a beautiful woman and I still cannot believe they cast that ugly toad to portray her smh

I couldnt agree more. Im watching Aretha's interviews from the 60s. Her speaking voice was soft and girly. She looked fashionable like in the Instagram photo you shared. Please tell me how they came up with Cyntha Erivo after looking at all of the footage. Do all black people look alike to whoever casted ? An exact replica is not possible, but it is important to at least get somewhere close to how the actual person looked especially when its someone as iconic as Aretha. Every one of Cynthia's lines were lost because I could not get past how she looked. Did she even smile ?
Even though we have never heard Ken Cunningham's voice, Im pretty sure he does not sound like TI but looks wise, they nailed it.

Caligullfree

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,708 2,896 1,014
Alleybux
If they had replaced cynthia I would watch cause it looks decent and that bit may reveal more dirt then the movie which will gloss over anything to heavy but I'll look out for clips on youtube. Here's the trailer and she's not giving me Aretha at all

Serving nothing. It's a resounding
tenor.gif

skimup1

lesbian extraordinaire
Reaction score
Reactions
62,674 1,382 584
Alleybux
It's incredible! Thank you, National Geographic. Iconic Aretha!

Aretha deserves so much more than having that half acting, half singing Brit portray her.
I will watch at the request of my book group, but I am not happy with this casting.
As it's been said before, Aretha sang American Soul music. Cynthia does not sing that. I feel absolutely nothing when she sings. It's insulting for her to portray one of our finest musical legends.
There are so many ADOS actresses, Southern ones at that, that could have and should have portrayed her. This is yet another Hollywood travisty in the name of the all mighty dollar.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,931 86 19
Alleybux
I just saw the trailer for Respect. Now thats how you play the Queen of Soul. Listen to how she says "This song goes out to all of you.." (paraphrasing). I cant explain exactly how Aretha spoke but there was a certain way she pronounced s and t sounds and it sounded like she was singing even when she spoke. Jennifer captured that along with the way she would bite her lip. Cynthia did none of that.