Quantcast

Afope Atoyebi hair moisturising method, gave me 7 days of moisture without using grease

ImTheOne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,506 1,062 139
Alleybux
What method? Afope was just giving some suggestions on what ingredients to look out for or to try in your regimen and other info. Are you referring to using film forming humectants?

If not, my bad. maybe you was asking another poster about another YouTuber's method?

Yes. I have high porosity, medium density and fine strands. It works! I've been using all natural diy products for almost four weeks and I don't suffer with any more itchy, dry or tender scalp/hair. Also, I still use a shampoo weekly (actually I wash twice a week) just not with sulfates, clarifying and chelating commercial/store bought shampoos. I decided to start making my own because those were too harsh on my hair/scalp. Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't try a store bought or commercial shampoo again--Just not right now! When I do, I'll use shampoos that are mild cleansers-- cruelty free, vegan or organic. Ingredients matters!!

RECAP OF WHAT I WROTE IN ANOTHER THREAD:

Maybe this will help another high porosity (or low porosity) natural?

Hits
My pre poos and diy hair masks, shampoos and conditioners. My hair/scalp doesn't like harsh and or toxic ingredients. I realized my hair loves masks that helps retain moisture. Vegan, cruelty free and or organic store bought hair products. Oils and butters (sparingly) are a must for my fine strands (penetrating and sealing) high porosity hair.

Anyway, I learned that this is what my hair truly loves in commercial leave-in conditioners, creams or deep conditioners:

Moisture: water
Humectants: honey & sorbitol (or vegetable glycerin for low porosity) I'm high in porosity.
Film foaming humectants: hydroxyethyl cellulose, panthenol, aloe vera, Apple cider vinegar, slippery elm and marshmallow root
Strength: proteins; building blocks of protein such as amino acids, peptides and hydrolyzed protein
Ceramides (natural); safflower oil, wheat germ oil & hemp seed oil Ceramides (artificial); 2-oleamido-1 3-octadecanediol
Conditioning: Fatty alcohols, emulsifiers & emollients: cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, cetyl esters, caprylyl glycol, propylene glycol distearate, triglycerides, polyquaternium, **Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS)

BTMS provides slip and smooth down the cuticles.
The rest of the ingredients helps retain moisture and protects the strands and scalp.

Misses:
Any shampoos with Sodium lauryl sulfate, Sodium laureth sulfate. I rather use my DIYs black soap or castile soap shampoo to clarify (or cruelty free, vegan shampoo).

These ingredients strips the hair leaving it dry and frizzy. This is a problem for those with scalp issues as well as high porosity (actual all porosities).

BTW, I want others to know that you don't have to make your own products to have a healthy regimen. Just watch out for harsh/toxic ingredients in products. There are good alcohols (fatty alcohols that I mentioned above) and bad alcohols. Silicones isn't bad (especially before using heating tools on your hair) as long as you clarify at least once a month (if using heavy creams, butter or hair grease and or silicone conditioners--Like Aussie Moist).
Just seeing this my notifications suck :cautious: you actually have my exact hair specs so happy to have found you and Afope! I tried the method last week with my CR Honey Hydrate and homemade plant gel but my hair still keeps drying out! I'm about to watch her plant gel video and see if I’m doing something wrong

NaptrulyMe

"I'M PLACING PETTY FONTS ON IGNORE"
Reaction score
Reactions
6,674 108 114
Alleybux
Just seeing this my notifications suck :cautious: you actually have my exact hair specs so happy to have found you and Afope! I tried the method last week with my CR Honey Hydrate and homemade plant gel but my hair still keeps drying out! I'm about to watch her plant gel video and see if I’m doing something wrong
I use my diy hibiscus cream to seal my ends (sometimes my coconut oil on my hair/scalp before shampooing too). It's drying if I do not seal after I use my diy marshmallow root and slippery elm bark (this can be use as a moisturizer, leave-in conditioner or gel). Also, I wash every 3-4 days if needed. I try to not let my hair becomes too dry because dry hair means breakage, itchy and dry scalp for me.

All I use:

Pre Poo (coconut oil, aloe vera or ACV w/water on hair/scalp or scalp scrub)
Shampoo: DIY African Black Soap & Goat Milk's Shampoo or bentonite clay)
Deep conditioner/Conditioner (Aussie Moist) or DIY hair masks
Leave-in conditioner/moisturizer or gel: Slippery elm bark/ marshmallow root
Sealant: DIY Hibiscus cream

I've been keeping my regimen the same during the past month. Following the same techniques and products. Although I tend to switch up my pre poo shampoo (once a month bentonite clay) and conditioner. I haven't had any dryness/itchy issues lately. Still, what works for me may not work for you!!

I have high-medium porosity, (although I keep my routine for high porosity) fine strands, medium density and have multiple textures (kinky curly 3b-4a).

EDIT

Almost forgot to mention that I keep my hair in a protective style (mostly twists or braids). I freshen up my hair in between washing by spraying my hair with my hibiscus/black rice water mixture then use the marshmallow root/slippery elm to keep my hair moisturize and seal my ends until wash day (I spray hair every 2-3 days). I do not always need to wash every 4 days.

Yesterday, I bought a partial Kinky curly wig that similar my hair. lol I never worn a wig in my life. lol Yet, my sister is natural and she wears it often (including extensions because of her busy lifestyle). Anyway, I will likely give it to her after several uses. I'm just wearing it on our trip we're taking during mothers day (while my hair is protected in braids or twists).

Last edited:

NaptrulyMe

Reaction score
Reactions
6,674 108 114
Alleybux
So, it's a wash and go. Am I missing something? What makes this so revolutionary?
This isn't for a wash & go although you can use it as a natural gel for one.....

It's just a natural alternative to use instead of using store bought or commercial gels or conditioner products (in which, most are loaded with a lot of harsh ingredients that's drying to the hair/scalp).

Also, it is more moisturizing since it's a natural botanical made from the earth (not man made).

ImTheOne

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,506 1,062 139
Alleybux
I use my diy hibiscus cream to seal my ends (sometimes my coconut oil on my hair/scalp before shampooing too). It's drying if I do not seal after I use my diy marshmallow root and slippery elm bark (this can be use as a moisturizer, leave-in conditioner or gel). Also, I wash every 3-4 days if needed. I try to not let my hair becomes too dry because dry hair means breakage, itchy and dry scalp for me.

All I use:

Pre Poo (coconut oil, aloe vera or ACV w/water on hair/scalp or scalp scrub)
Shampoo: DIY African Black Soap & Goat Milk's Shampoo or bentonite clay)
Deep conditioner/Conditioner (Aussie Moist) or DIY hair masks
Leave-in conditioner/moisturizer or gel: Slippery elm bark/ marshmallow root
Sealant: DIY Hibiscus cream

I've been keeping my regimen the same during the past month. Following the same techniques and products. Although I tend to switch up my pre poo shampoo (once a month bentonite clay) and conditioner. I haven't had any dryness/itchy issues lately. Still, what works for me may not work for you!!

I have high-medium porosity, (although I keep my routine for high porosity) fine strands, medium density and have multiple textures (kinky curly 3b-4a).

EDIT

Almost forgot to mention that I keep my hair in a protective style (mostly twists or braids). I freshen up my hair in between washing by spraying my hair with my hibiscus/black rice water mixture then use the marshmallow root/slippery elm to keep my hair moisturize and seal my ends until wash day (I spray hair every 2-3 days). I do not always need to wash every 4 days.

Yesterday, I bought a partial Kinky curly wig that similar my hair. lol I never worn a wig in my life. lol Yet, my sister is natural and she wears it often (including extensions because of her busy lifestyle). Anyway, I will likely give it to her after several uses. I'm just wearing it on our trip we're taking during mothers day (while my hair is protected in braids or twists).
Is the ACV prepoo like an ACV rinse? Also how do you preserve the products? I want to get into making my own products but I can’t figure out how to use preservatives and I don’t have time to make stuff every week

NaptrulyMe

Reaction score
Reactions
6,674 108 114
Alleybux
Is the ACV prepoo like an ACV rinse? Also how do you preserve the products? I want to get into making my own products but I can’t figure out how to use preservatives and I don’t have time to make stuff every week
Yes, ACV is the same like the rinse (add more water than ACV). Accept the ACV pre poo is in a spray bottle. This is the only difference (you spray your scalp and hair and let it set for 15-60 mins before shampooing).

You don't have to preserve it if you using it for one use. If you make a large batch, place it in the refrigerator or freezer in a ice tray (it will last for two weeks in the fridge and a month in the freezer in a ice tray). You can just thaw the ACV (mixed with water) cubes from the tray in a bowl before using.

Meanwhile, the only time you will need to use a preservative is when you make your own products. Oils are exceptional when mixing together (no preservative needed, but you can add vitamin E to the mixed oils). The only time you will truly need a preservative is when you mixing oils and liquid (like hibiscus tea) together (other cosmetic ingredients will be needed to combined to make a cream or solid products). It's hard to explain. I hope you understand. lol

Last edited:

Reggie

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I stumbled upon Afope (trichologist) Youtube channel and decided to try her method to see if I can use it as an alternative to my usual routine.
On wash day after rinsing off the conditioner on towel dried hair, I applied a botanical gel, followed with a leave in and then I blow-dried my hair, with a diffuser attachment. I am so shocked by the results, literally left me speechless, the feeling is so different from when I use grease to seal my leave in. It left my 4c hair feeling moist and soft instead of soft but greasy. My hair hair started clumping all over forming little coils the size of pen springs.

Has anyone else tried this method?
How did it go?
Will you stick to it?

I tried it and was so surprised at how long my hair stayed moisturised that I booked a consultation with her to formulate a regimen for me. Found out the hair I always thought was high porosity was actually low/normal - I’ve been doing my tailor made regimen for a few weeks now and going a full 5 days with moisture where I only used to be able to go a day or two at a push.

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,982 755 93
Alleybux
This is something so simple yet I never seemed to realize it. I have been doing the whole "gel only botanical plant based products" thing for a while and yes my hair is so moisturized now. But like when I put raw aloe vera on my hair it looks even better than when I use Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic.

NaptrulyMe

Reaction score
Reactions
6,674 108 114
Alleybux
This is something so simple yet I never seemed to realize it. I have been doing the whole "gel only botanical plant based products" thing for a while and yes my hair is so moisturized now. But like when I put raw aloe vera on my hair it looks even better than when I use Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic.
Maybe your hair needed protein? Aloe Vera is great for moisturizing and making curls pop, but it also has protein--naturally.

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,982 755 93
Alleybux
Maybe your hair needed protein? Aloe Vera is great for moisturizing and making curls pop, but it also has protein--naturally.
Nope I don't need protein my hair regularly gets protein in my routine and I don't have chemically altered hair. I think my hair just likes aloe in its pure form.

Angelayalet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,809 487 201
Alleybux
Could I use one of mielle organics gels for this, i can't find that uncle funky gel anywhere near me

NaptrulyMe

Reaction score
Reactions
6,674 108 114
Alleybux
Nope I don't need protein my hair regularly gets protein in my routine and I don't have chemically altered hair. I think my hair just likes aloe in its pure form.
No, I meant it has protein naturally! Everybody hair needs protein. Just those of us with high porosity needs it more frequently. Also, your hair doesn't have to be chemically altered to have high porosity hair.

Last edited:

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,982 755 93
Alleybux
No, I meant it has protein naturally! Everybody hair needs protein. Just those of us with high porosity needs it more frequently. Also, your hair doesn't have to be chemically altered to have high porosity hair.
I know what you meant haha. Protein is on an as needed basis and I don't need it that often and one of the reasons is because I don't have chemically altered hair. I get enough fom my regular hair products. I just needed that pH balanced AVG.

OliveEyez

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,644 590 159
Alleybux
This is what I do and why I consistently get week long wash and gos. I use a leave in first followed by a plant gel. Part of the secret is using the steam from your shower to rehydrate it daily. I do this after I work out and that definitely helps with the hydration throughout the week
I got similar results when I used Gemini Naturals. Their temporary hair color is an aloe based gel (for those who don't know who they are) and the leave in is water based with aloe being the 2nd ingredient. Never did I have to remoisturize my hair and it never felt dry to the touch for a whole week.

racoonspoons

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,969 1,310 3
Alleybux
Are these humectants/plant gels okay to use in winter? I remember being a baby natural years ago and reading comments that glycerin in winter was a huge no no and actually dried out the hair.

NaptrulyMe

Reaction score
Reactions
6,674 108 114
Alleybux
Are these humectants/plant gels okay to use in winter? I remember being a baby natural years ago and reading comments that glycerin in winter was a huge no no and actually dried out the hair.

Plant gels can be used all year round. Film-forming humectants are great during dry/humid seasons because they form flexible films that retain water in your hair. You will have to figure out what type film forming humectant plant gel that may work best for you.

Film forming Humectants plant gels:

• flax seed gel (linseed)
  • okra gel (made from okra seed pods)
  • aloe vera gel
  • hydroxyethylcellulose
  • pectin
  • xanthan gum
  • guar gum
  • marsh mallow root
  • slippery elm
  • carrageenan (also known as irish moss or seaweed extract, sea emollient, sea algae, sea vegetable)
  • nettle leaf tea or nettle extract
  • panthenol*
  • Hydroxypropyltrimonium honey
  • Cactus
& more...

Info can be found here:

Film Forming Humectants - What They Are and Why You Need Them

Other useful Links:

Curly Care: Seasonal Changes, Dew Points, Humectants, and Emollients

How to Choose the Right Products for the Weather for Curly Hair | NaturallyCurly.com

As for normal humectants such as glycerol, (vegetable glycerin) honey or sorbitol...It depends on the climate in your area as well as individual's needs. Moreover, there's a lot of commercial products that uses humectants in its ingredients (medicine, skin and hair products are some examples) so this cannot be entirely avoided of using. BTW, these are only several humectants I named.

Personally, my high porosity hair doesn't like glycerin and I tend to opt for pure honey when needed in my DIY recipes. In addition, I live in area that's dry/humid during the Summer and Winter seasons. I haven't had any issues using plant based gels this Summer. I keep my hair in low protective styles 90% of the time. However, I did styled a wash & go once this Summer using my own DIY Kinky Curly custard. I had no problems holding my curls for a week and I never had a wash & go that lasted me for a week using commercial gels. Mind you, I tend to sweat a lot in my scalp during the Summer too.

Last edited:

AnnDee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,410 675 249
Alleybux
I am always happy to see naturals finding what works for them. I was definitely blessed when I was newly natural to have forums where I could exchange information and ideas.

My hair doesn’t care for most botanical gels although it dislikes some more than others. My hair absolutely hates straight AVG because it makes my hair super hard. I also find that these gels don’t do enough to protect my ends so I have to use a heavy oil or butter on my ends. I don’t like doing this because my hair is quick to become greasy. Whereas with the “bad gels” I pair with a leave in and I’m good. The gel is my sealant and I don’t get many single strand knots when I use ”my “bad gels”. That said I mostly stick to all natural ingredients in my shampoos (Ayurvedic or clay) and deep conditioners (DIY).

I think we should keep in mind not only our hair scalp types but our environment. The climate, the type of water and other outside factors can make one person’s journey more challenging than another. Because I wash twice a week I commonly wash my hair when I go out of town and I often notice a difference. I moved awhile back and I had to experiment and adjust my products even though I’ve been natural a long time. And even before I moved there were products I could only use certain times of the year.

AlmaAmor

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,021 285 108
Alleybux
I am always happy to see naturals finding what works for them. I was definitely blessed when I was newly natural to have forums where I could exchange information and ideas.

My hair doesn’t care for most botanical gels although it dislikes some more than others. My hair absolutely hates straight AVG because it makes my hair super hard. I also find that these gels don’t do enough to protect my ends so I have to use a heavy oil or butter on my ends. I don’t like doing this because my hair is quick to become greasy. Whereas with the “bad gels” I pair with a leave in and I’m good. The gel is my sealant and I don’t get many single strand knots when I use ”my “bad gels”. That said I mostly stick to all natural ingredients in my shampoos (Ayurvedic or clay) and deep conditioners (DIY).

I think we should keep in mind not only our hair scalp types but our environment. The climate, the type of water and other outside factors can make one person’s journey more challenging than another. Because I wash twice a week I commonly wash my hair when I go out of town and I often notice a difference. I moved awhile back and I had to experiment and adjust my products even though I’ve been natural a long time. And even before I moved there were products I could only use certain times of the year.
My hair doesn’t like AVG either…in any product…whether gel or even conditioner…it leaves this weird coating on it and makes my hair dry…so I avoid it in everything which makes it hard to find a botanical g, but right now I’m using design essentials honey gel as a base gel and I like it, now looking for a topper without aloe as well or coconut oil too high up cuz my hair don’t like that either, I can only get good results from coconut oil products after heat styling really

AnnDee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,410 675 249
Alleybux
My hair doesn’t like AVG either…in any product…whether gel or even conditioner…it leaves this weird coating on it and makes my hair dry…so I avoid it in everything which makes it hard to find a botanical g, but right now I’m using design essentials honey gel as a base gel and I like it, now looking for a topper without aloe as well or coconut oil too high up cuz my hair don’t like that either, I can only get good results from coconut oil products after heat styling really
It’s weird how our hair can be more or less tolerant of certain ingredients depending on the situation. I can’t do straight AVG without it making my hair hard and rough but I can use it in some formulations. Same with coconut. I can’t do it straight and when in formulation, it’s hit or miss. It would be interesting to know what it is about formulas that make an ingredient act differently from when it’s alone.

News Alley

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom