Quantcast

More African athletes in Europe should play for their native countries

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
Seeing that international tournaments doesn't even pay athletes and its mostly about promoting nationalism. African players should play for the countries that they actually come from instead of winning medals for Europeans that leave monkey emojis in their comments whenever they fail to score.

CEDLdhPnDa1Kkt3K8mAfhnBmlPpgJFbMT2fGqJZCzbX8XhfaqjqB5eLtDa4o3vmuNMAgUnwMpn2Owv61AxSM8fP1QQDk3nA2-FhCJf276KCV-4ckC8VgBCOIpqZmKcK9f6obTXE0gnNzNiQW38XWH_KsmR6yupdh

African countries are so underrepresented in international sports tournaments, why not make your people proud?
African players need to take a leaf from Didier Drogbas book.
Grew up in France. Played professionally for football clubs in France and England where he made his millions. But when it came to the world stage, he repped Cote D'Ivoire and took his country to the World Cup making him a national hero.

didier-drogba.jpg

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,040 19,673 18,910
Alleybux
Seeing that international tournaments doesn't even pay athletes and its mostly about promoting nationalism. African players should play for the countries that they actually come from instead of winning medals for Europeans that leave monkey emojis in their comments whenever they fail to score.

CEDLdhPnDa1Kkt3K8mAfhnBmlPpgJFbMT2fGqJZCzbX8XhfaqjqB5eLtDa4o3vmuNMAgUnwMpn2Owv61AxSM8fP1QQDk3nA2-FhCJf276KCV-4ckC8VgBCOIpqZmKcK9f6obTXE0gnNzNiQW38XWH_KsmR6yupdh

African countries are so underrepresented in international sports tournaments, why not make your people proud?
Grew up in France. Played professionally for football clubs in France and England where he made his millions. But when it came to the world stage, he repped Cote D'Ivoire and took his country to the World Cup making him a national hero.

didier-drogba.jpg

What year did Drogbas do this?

Smaddyone

Guh suh
Reaction score
Reactions
94,708 4,426 2,747
Alleybux
Racists don't determine someone's nationality.
We need to move past allowing anyone else to dictate to us who we are. If i am a talented athlete, and a citizen of more than one country it is my choice to determine who I play for and my choice to determine my identity.

qwertylove

MVP
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,841 211 35
Alleybux
we're talking 3rd 4th generation of immigrant African athletes nowadays. They know who they are and repping for. I don't think its a hot topic anymore like in the '90s

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
What year did Drogbas do this?
2006. 2010. and 2014.
Someone should really make a film about Cote D'Ivoire and their road to the world cup, really great story.
Drogba was a world class player and he obviously played a huge role in taking them there, but the team altogether played a huge role in the countrys peace process (they were going through a civil war when they qualified)

saywhatyouwant

Melaninaire
Reaction score
Reactions
124,571 5,835 617
Alleybux
I'd like to see more talented players go play for their native countries, especially the teams that are underdogs in international games. But I think its understandable and maybe easier to be raised, trained and get for your first opportunities in the country you're in and just stay there.

moncharlie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,468 70 43
Alleybux
The majority of people feel more connected to the country the grew up in than where they were born or where their parents/grandparents are from, why would the play for a nation they have no attachment to?

Som1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,944 1,787 1,405
Alleybux

didier-drogba.jpg
Why would they play for corrupt countries that don't pay them well when they can get the opportunity to get out of poverty and hopefully provide for their families for life?

Publish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
31,669 1,322 66
Alleybux
The majority of people feel more connected to the country the grew up in than where they were born or where their parents/grandparents are from, why would the play for a nation they have no attachment to?
Exactly, why would she go to your parents country a place that you don’t even know the language or anything about just play where you grew up

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
we're talking 3rd 4th generation of immigrant African athletes nowadays. They know who they are and repping for. I don't think its a hot topic anymore like in the '90s
Most are second.
A person has no attachment to their native country? Maybe not cultural, but they definitely do have ancestral, ethnic, and historical ties.

Minhana

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,118 543 256
Alleybux
It's easier passing a judgment sitting behind a screen, when you're an African you live in a land that doesn't provide sh!t for you no hobbies no future not good education not quality of life no dignity and you have to sit back and watch every little opportunity that comes by being taken by the children of the already corrupted politicians and rich businesses, all these is a system implanted by the western government financed by your taxes to ensure their supremcy so when the west takes these young men and teaches them and give them hobbies and high wages you can't expect them to refused it

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,447 1,392 1,031
Alleybux
I feel you OP but in the example you posted all of those guys were likely born in the country they’re playing for or even their parents.

AND the way sports are managed in other countries doesn’t exactly nurture talent in the same way as in Europe. Most African countries probably don’t have the same resources or sports apparatus. What are the players supposed to do?

There are multiple Afro-European players who play for their African countries of origin however it is sometimes because they couldn’t make the team in the European country they live in or are from, so it’s an opportunity for them rather than out of pure national pride. For example Jerome Boateng plays for Germany and his brother Kevin Prince played for Ghana.

What would be better would be if all the good African players or retired ones on club teams abroad came “home” to build a football apparatus at home so African club teams could benefit from their own talent, but that would take foresight, big money and the desire to build these institutions basically from scratch.

Last edited:

saywhatyouwant

Melaninaire
Reaction score
Reactions
124,571 5,835 617
Alleybux
Also in the case of Drogba, he went from one French speaking country to another. English might be the official language of some African countries but try getting by on just English and see how far you get lol.

Might not really affect footballers who'll likely be around certain people in society but still. And obviously it's the fault of the parents or the footballers once they reach adulthood to not learn their mother tongue.

Ultimately I don't think it's that black and white.

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
I feel you OP but in the example you posted all of those guys were likely born in the country they’re playing for or even their parents.

AND the way sports are managed in other countries doesn’t exactly nurture talent in the same way as in Europe. Most African countries probably don’t have the same resources or sports apparatus. What are the players supposed to do?

There are multiple Afro-European players who play for their African countries of origin however it is sometimes because they couldn’t make the team in the European country they live in or are from, so it’s an opportunity for them rather than out of pure national pride. For example Jerome Boateng plays for Germany and his brother Kevin Prince played for Ghana.

What would be better would be if all the good African players or retired ones on club teams abroad came “home” to build to football apparatus at home so African club teams could benefit from their own talent, but that would take foresight, big money and the desire to build these institutions basically from scratch.
Same with Pogba's brothers. Both his older brothers play for Guinea on the world stage despite holding French Citizenship.
I'm not saying its an easy choice to make, but it would be the honourable thing to do.
Didier Drogba who grew up in France deciding to play for his small native country of Ivory Coast and taking them to the African Cup finals AND qualifying them for the world cup will always be a better and more honourable story than Pogba winning for France in 2018.

Dimpz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,703 3,511 1,076
Alleybux
2006. 2010. and 2014.
Someone should really make a film about Cote D'Ivoire and their road to the world cup, really great story.
Drogba was a world class player and he obviously played a huge role in taking them there, but the team altogether played a huge role in the countrys peace process (they were going through a civil war when they qualified)

I’m not Ivorian but that was a golden era for a lot of African teams and I remember rooting for Ivory Coast A LOT during that period.
Les éléphants are some real warriors!! I’ll always have love for them, especially Didier, Yaya & Gervinho.

moncharlie

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,468 70 43
Alleybux
Most are second.

A person has no attachment to their native country? Maybe not cultural, but they definitely do have ancestral, ethnic, and historical ties.
Lol
Ancestral what exactly? wtf does that even mean?

You cultural/national identity is mostly shaped by WHERE YOU GREW UP, if they didn't grow up in Africa, naturally they don't feel african, they feel french/british/belgian, etc

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
Lol

You cultural/national identity is mostly shaped by WHERE YOU GREW UP, if they didn't grow up in Africa, naturally they don't feel african, they feel french/british/belgian, etc
Ancestral ties is the where your ancestors are from, the word is self explanatory lol.
Doesn't matter where you grow up in Europe or how long, they will never be seen as fully European because they have 0 ancestral ties to the country.
Don't know how you can't feel African when you are African lol. A Giraffe that is born in and grows up in a Horse stable is still a Giraffe.

Nayla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
153,618 3,509 418
Alleybux
Some countries like Ethiopia, DRC and others don’t even allow dual citizenships. How can Lukaku for example play for DRC without holding a Congolese passport?

Even with dual citizenship, I feel like they are citizens of their respective countries in the West. They were born here, live here, work and pay taxes here. I also believe the great majority of them has no plan to go back to the motherland or even visit that often. Some are pretty much detached.

Here they are getting a better pay and a better chance to win or get to the finals. I don’t blame them honestly.

I applaud the players who use their money to support their families back home, invest into businesses, charities, services, education and other things those incompetent, corrupted governments are not doing.

Anohana

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
142,636 2,474 784
Alleybux
Ancestral ties is the where your ancestors are from, the word is self explanatory lol.
Doesn't matter where you grow up in Europe or how long, they will never be seen as fully European because they have 0 ancestral ties to the country.
Don't know how you can't feel African when you are African lol. A Giraffe that is born in and grows up in a Horse stable is still a Giraffe.
It’s just not that simple. Sure, your parents might be African. You might belong to a household very involved in the culture, maybe very involved in the diaspora community, go back “home” consistently, but you also belong to the country you were born in/immigrated too. You speak their native language to everyone you interact with outside of your home, maybe even knowing that language better than your native languages from your ancestral lands, encouraged to assimilate and work hard to prove your worth and why you belong.

You’re often stuck in a limbo belonging to both and neither at the same time. Too African/Caribbean/etc for the country you immigrated to and too French/British/American/etc for your ancestral country. Sure it’s admirable to play for your ancestral country but there are many things that play into that choice and one’s sense of identity. I don’t fault 1st, 2nd gen diaspora playing for the country they were born in/immigrated to.

Sometimes, the idea of the diaspora coming back home and building up various institutions, etc is over-romanticized. They might be more capable of doing so competing and obtaining wealth in their immigrant country and then coming back to do so instead of struggling at home with other athletes to get the support and development they need. Many of these countries use sports as vehicles for corruption and stiffle development.

Last edited:

Lurkerretta

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,254 1,857 1,185
Alleybux

didier-drogba.jpg
I agree but African countries need to fix up in terms of pay and training. Money talks in this world. Maybe the players could come together and be the ones to change training and the structure of sports in Africa to be better and more lucrative but we all know BM can't build and come together for nothing.

Muzzy123

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
55,447 1,392 1,031
Alleybux

Girl, that is a pipe dream. I’m not sure if you’re in Europe but I’m also of African parentage, born in the US and live in Europe now. A LOT of these kids are detached from their heritage or have a weird relationship to it especially the men. They think they’re European…of course until they get their wake up call like bananas being thrown at them.

There are ways to balance raising your kids in the new country and keeping your culture but I’m not sure a lot of African parents in Europe haven’t done a good job. The people who are more connected generally immigrated themselves. Also these players tend to overwhelmingly marry white or non black women. They are encouraged to. Women carry culture so they may become even less attached to their heritage.

I’m not knocking IRR at all. I’m in one myself. But I don’t think that your expectation is reasonable based on the reality of the situation of these players.

Jahshii

Barbs, divestors, and republicans= blocked
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
85,762 4,824 5,011
Alleybux
These racists don’t see nationality they just see black.

Cherina

The Nerevarine
Reaction score
Reactions
1,510 26 30
Alleybux
There are ways to balance raising your kids in the new country and keeping your culture but I’m not sure a lot of African parents in Europe haven’t done a good job. The people who are more connected generally immigrated themselves..
Alot of Africans who are 1st/2nd gen in Europe are aware of the culture, are insulated in it and mostly speak/understand their languages, they are not as self hating as LSA likes to portray

Stop propping up the self hating minority who are vocal in sports/media and entertainment, they do not represent us all

Afrelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,205 1,130 268
Alleybux
Lol

One will argue that they are NOT autochtonous to that part of the Eurasian landmass.

Europe is a peninsula on the Atlantic side of Eurasia. Africans are not native to the Eurasian landmass. Some might say that the emotional investment to attach oneself to Eurasian countries like France, England and Belgium might be misplaced. The EU does not recognize non-autochtonous Europeans as national minorities by the way.

Mandaazi

New ID: Solarsexual
Reaction score
Reactions
60,416 2,972 1,393
Alleybux
Good topic!

The way I see it, agreeing with some of the naysayers is that if you're too detached from your country of origin but you still want to do something become a mentor to your youth. Be active in your community. Like for example, the asylum centers and be a positive impact. Africans in Europe do have a lot of love for their community no matter what all the negative experiences may be, we need to be able to acknowledge the good and focus on that as well.
For ex. North African players aren't more connected to their country of origin when they decide to play for their own, yet they do it out of urgency. Obviously behind the scenes there's a lot of coaching going on by their own people, they talk to them and also make arrangements to assist them into transitioning but all of that does not mean that they too don't feel or experience being othered once they're in Morocco for ex.

I notice the need to denounce corruption on here too, yet what else is being done to support those who are trying to make a change or who have made a change?
Money is the real issue here because many have played and been paid by racist and corrupt club leaders in Europe. They deal with unfairness here too a lot!

Going back to the community building, I don't think it's impossible for them to do it.

aintitfun

rovingwonder
Reaction score
Reactions
691 5
Alleybux
I don't want to derail,but I noticed in the parade of nations a number of white athletes representing African countries, like Tanzania and maybe Zimbabwe too. There were others,but maybe they were just the coaches?

Lolaland

Petitioning the APA to add "Stanning" to the DSM-5
Reaction score
Reactions
103,449 4,458 1,362
Alleybux
I don't want to derail,but I noticed in the parade of nations a number of white athletes representing African countries, like Tanzania and maybe Zimbabwe too. There were others,but maybe they were just the coaches?

I missed the opening ceremony but there is no such thing as a white Tanzanian, so it's highly unlikely that those white people were athletes representing the country. They were probably coaches. There is such a thing as a white Zimbabwean though, and that is the case for a number of southern African countries.

TangerYanger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,925 540 297
Alleybux
But if they were born and raised in those European countries those European countries ARE their native country. You know, 100 years ago, if you said someone was "native American" they would assume you were talking about someone born in the United States (i.e. not an immigrant). The Canadian national anthem opening lyrics are "O Canada, our home and native land." Keeping on Canada and soccer, one of the biggest annoyances is when you have soccer fans who have ancestry of countries like Portugal or Italy cheer ferociously for those countries at Euros or World Cup (despite that being their parents, grand-parents, great-grandparents country) but when its time to support Canadian soccer, nowhere to be seen. Canada's first real superstar player Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies wasn't even born in Canada; (he's from Ghana via Liberia iirc) but his choice to represent Canada is HUGE and actually gives the country a shot at qualifying for the World Cup for the first time in almost 40 years. Owen Haergraves, the last big name Canadian player, was born and grew up in Calgary for the first 16 years of his life but went to represent England his parents country. Julian de Guzman (or his brother, can't remember) was half-Jamaican, half-Filipino but went to represent The Netherlands.

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
Mostly Coaches. No White Athletes are running for either countries.

TangerYanger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,925 540 297
Alleybux
I missed the opening ceremony but there is no such thing as a white Tanzanian, so it's highly unlikely that those white people were athletes representing the country. They were probably coaches. There is such a thing as a white Zimbabwean though, and that is the case for a number of southern African countries.
Well Tanzanian is a nationality so there are white Tanzanians and Chinese-Tanzanians so you might wanna amend that statement that there's literally "no such thing as a white Tanzanian" 'cause here:

but yeah they are not as many white people as say the more settler colonial countries of South Africa or Zimbabwe and of course you still have South Asian communities in Tanzania but they still exist lol.

Winterwonderland

Queen in training
Reaction score
Reactions
40,733 1,061 889
Alleybux
Isn't there money involved, though? A lot of these athletes might compete for the country they were born/raised rather than the ones of their parents because a) the pay is better or b) they have a bigger attachment to the country that trained them and helped them become the big players they are now.
Personally, I'd rather not have them play for African countries if they aren't planning to train with the team for at least a full year in preparation for the WC.
Not only does this takes away the attention of African athletes born and raised in Africa, playing for the countries they were born in, I have come to realize that players who don't train together for very long time end up in an unbalanced team.
Instead, the world should rep African players playing for their respective countries, giving them the attention they deserve and hopefully attract companies who can sponsor teams in Africa. I do agree that retired players should coach African teams if they are good at teaching, to bring back the knowledge they've learned and create better, stronger teams. Create schools or sponsor said schools directly. That, and governments should invest in their athletes. So many good talent is wasting away due to lack of resources, because they can't afford a good field/coach/equipment, but of course investing in the people isn't as good as stashing away stolen millions in some Swiss bank.e4

Most of the time they're either coaches or athletes who couldn't qualify for the country they live in, so chose the second route: participate under the flag of their (grand)parent's home of origin. Certain countries like S. Africa or Namibia, with larger white populations might send athletes who were born and raised there.

Kitty12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
152,725 4,765 1,968
Alleybux
What makes me sad is these African countries know they have TALENTED athletes yet they don't want to build one African club thats better than Europe? Is it really that hard?

SIlIloIlIl

Stop giving me time out every week pls xoxo
Reaction score
Reactions
37,329 3,007 1,380
Alleybux
Unless it’s still something that only requires natural ability like track, I can understand why they don’t. A lot of them don’t hold nationality in their countries. They’re more comfortable playing for the country they grew up in and most of the time European countries provide more economic opportunity and exposure.
Look how Naomi Osaka gets dragged for only representing Japan when she grew up in the USA and “used all their resources”.
However, I do think they need to start building up the communities in their countries.

Lolaland

Petitioning the APA to add "Stanning" to the DSM-5
Reaction score
Reactions
103,449 4,458 1,362
Alleybux
Well Tanzanian is a nationality so there are white Tanzanians and Chinese-Tanzanians so you might wanna amend that statement that there's literally "no such thing as a white Tanzanian" 'cause here:

but yeah they are not as many white people as say the more settler colonial countries of South Africa or Zimbabwe and of course you still have South Asian communities in Tanzania but they still exist lol.

I repeat, there is no such thing as a white Tanzanian.

There are some minority Arab and South Asian communities in TZ, and they have lived there for several generations, speak Kiswahili and hold Tanzanian citizenship. There is no white community of multigenerational Tanzanians. This white man in the video you posted is called Nick Reynolds and he's a British citizen born in Zimbabwe, who also lived in Tanzania for many years, but he now lives in the UK. His Kiswahili is pretty decent for a foreigner but he's obviously not Tanzanian. He doesn't even hold dual British & Tanzanian citizenship/nationality (by naturalization), because Tanzanian law doesn't allow that.

Last edited:

The Red Woman

President of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
109,214 7,408 6,519
Alleybux
The solution is to invest in the sports back home so people growing up there have the infrastructure and support they need.

The Red Woman

President of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
109,214 7,408 6,519
Alleybux
What makes me sad is these African countries know they have TALENTED athletes yet they don't want to build one African club thats better than Europe? Is it really that hard?
Its not a coincidence that richer countries are more successful in sports.