Quantcast

African Fonts: Are You PROUD of Your Nationality/Ethnicity?

glossbomb

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,040 370 94
Alleybux
I’m a first generation African American with Sierra Leonian roots. When I was younger, no, I wasn’t proud. I went to school with mostly AA children who would poke fun at my name and call me the infamous “African Booty Scratcher”. I remember one girl called “African” in a derogatory tone, as if that in itself was an insult. As if gotten older, I’ve noticed that many more AA ppl now want to get back in touch with their African roots and slowly I’ve become more proud of mine. I also Sometimes I wish I was one of the biggger countries, like Nigeria lol. It’s rare for me to run into fellow Sierra Leonians.

Thank U Next

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,725 182 101
Alleybux
I’m a first generation African American with Sierra Leonian roots. When I was younger, no, I wasn’t proud. I went to school with mostly AA children who would poke fun at my name and call me the infamous “African Booty Scratcher”. I remember one girl called “African” in a derogatory tone, as if that in itself was an insult. As if gotten older, I’ve noticed that many more AA ppl now want to get back in touch with their African roots and slowly I’ve become more proud of mine. I also Sometimes I wish I was one of the biggger countries, like Nigeria lol. It’s rare for me to run into fellow Sierra Leonians.

Same for me, too. I can never find other people with my background.

Chris97

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,842 784 641
Alleybux
The future is not bleak for your country. You're actually one of the countries along with SA and Kenya that are leading the African tech revolution. The company I work for does a lot of work over there and they have future plans for AI in Nigeria. Don't let today's politics persuade you that you have no future.

lol, overpopulation is a massive issue that they have not completely felt the repercussions of yet and unlike china and India we do not have the GDP to tackle that issue when it comes to full force, our politicians are going hard in the paint because they have realised that oil resource is depleting and are now fµck!ng up the government expenditure projects at a new rate and that's the major way to stimulate an economy.

Absy94

TheDagomba
Reaction score
Reactions
17,009 989 331
Alleybux
Have you all always been proud of your nationality or ethnic background? Or, were there times when you would deny/hide the fact that you are from a certain place?

Always been proud. Even when Dominican kids at school with used to roast on my dark skin and extremely tight curly hair.

Do you think other people ever looked down on you or judged you because of your heritage?

Never really gotten that. Ghanaians are pretty heavy in STEM and healthcare where I grew up in NYC and i and my family always been called respectful and welcoming.

Were you around many people of your same ethnicity growing up?

Yes. The Bronx is heavy with Ghanaians all over the borough. I had my Islamic education at a special Ghanaian mosque on 176th st off Townsend Ave.

simplymina

in my bag
Reaction score
Reactions
156,121 6,832 2,211
Alleybux
Have you all always been proud of your nationality or ethnic background? Or, were there times when you would deny/hide the fact that you are from a certain place?

Do you think other people ever looked down on you or judged you because of your heritage?

1. Yea I never hid that I was Somali even when it was getting a lot of negativity from the media bc of the war and the whole refugee situation. I’ve always been proud and repped my ethnicity regardless

2. Probably but they never told me to my face. I’m sure there’s people that have looked down on my ethnicity considering our reputation in Canada isn’t the best but honestly that’s their problem not mine

3. Not really apart from weddings even though funny enough the city that I grew up (Toronto) has a pretty big Somali community. However I grew up on the opposite side of the city of where they usually live so I wouldn’t come across many in my everyday life

Willia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,883 1,987 1,222
Alleybux
Just want to say as someone who is of Caribbean heritage and Jamaican parents:

I think to be African is a beautiful thing and it is a shame that such ignorance was taught to many of us about Africans. I grew-up in the states so I remember when a lot of times both West African and black West Indian people specifically were called derogatory things but I remember the Ghanaian and Nigerian classmates of mine got it the worst. Now, it's so funny because all of the people who were saying that are shaku'ing and really wanting to learn more.

My uncle married an Igbo woman when I was young and while the marriage did not last, I remember how beautiful our cultures coming together was.

Also, I fell in love with Soukous music really early on in my life and all of these small things make up the reason I am so proud to be of this ancestry...even though I can not claim it in terms of ethnicity, but lineage. I really love the fact that Africans are being put in the limelight these days because it wasn't always "cool" to be one where I'm from. And this is not me insulting any diaspora group.

Just wanted to stop in and say I hope you all continue to have pride in your ethnicities. It's really a privilege to be an African and as a black person, I am honored to know that's where I am from originally even though there's a disconnect because of colonization. Lots of love and long live Africans world wide! :D

Thank U Next

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,725 182 101
Alleybux
Just wanted to stop in and say I hope you all continue to have pride in your ethnicities. It's really a privilege to be an African and as a black person, I am honored to know that's where I am from originally even though there's a disconnect because of colonization. Lots of love and long live Africans world wide!

I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for stopping by. It's appreciated. ✊:heart:

Lyndy Prosper

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,773 283 27
Alleybux
Super proud.
I grew up in different places in Asia and Africa, am half South African, half Zimbabwean. In Asia at the time, there weren't many other Zimbabweans/South Africans at all, and people tended to be very interested, it always felt like I was an ambassador for those countries.

Even with the struggles Zimbabwe has been going through as a nation, I'm very proud to be part Zimbabwean/Shona. In both of my parents cultures, the children take the father's ethnicity/tribe, so I generally identify with being a Xhosa South African. I'm very proud of my Shona roots too, Zimbabweans truly are an amazing people.

Not really. In SA, I've been in some circles where people will comment about people from other countries or tribes, but I always felt that was normal as SA is such a diverse country anyway.

In Asia, no. Zim and SA, yes, but I live in Pretoria and there are not as many Xhosas in Pretoria as compared to Johannesburg and the Cape provinces.

Nkecki

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,076 13 84
Alleybux
The future is not bleak for your country. You're actually one of the countries along with SA and Kenya that are leading the African tech revolution. The company I work for does a lot of work over there and they have future plans for AI in Nigeria. Don't let today's politics persuade you that you have no future.

I was about to type all you said. Today's politics in different African countries makes people think the future is bleak, not so. Especially not for Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa, Rwanda, etc, the future is very bright. We just have hopeless politicians.

wordpiano

aka keyboard
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
30,876 947 632
Alleybux
Yes, I've always been extremely proud. I come from the opposite sides of the continent, rare but cool pairing :smile5

hohohoho

Thank u so much Mr president
Reaction score
Reactions
831 58 69
Alleybux
Lol my African friends and I all commiserate about how being African is cool now but it damn sure wasn’t in the 2000s!!!! At all!!!!!

Yeah if u were trying fit into the American standard or should i say westernized standard at that time, then u would not see an African as something cool. My family and I and the people that I know have always rep Yoruba or Nigeria. That’s just the way we were raised; to always be proud of where we came from no matter what. To be honest with u, it is now that I’m just learning from people that it wasn’t always cool to be an African.

MargaeryTyrell

I Don't Want To Be A Queen. I Want To Be THE Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
Heyyyy, I’m Sierra Leonean, well half lol. I like that the country and population is small. Salone is beautiful. By the way, It’s Sierra ‘Leonean’ not ‘Leonian’.