Quantcast

Amara La Negra - Insecure Music Video

Afrelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,205 1,130 268
Alleybux
I like Amara’s sound. However, her videos are too whitewashed for me though. I’ll listen to Afrobeat and watch the videos because I see people who look like me in them. Afrobeat, Reggae and Soca is more relatable than Latin music is for most AAs. It is more about appealing to your target demographic. Even JLo included some black people in her videos and had AA rappers jump on for a feature because she knew that we wouldn’t be checking for her music without seeing our faces in her videos.

Amara might be trying to appeal to American Latinos but she will have to realize that she will alienate AAs in doing so. It is kind of like an “either-or” situation as Latinos and AAs don’t really intermingle culturally like that.

Agreed, her team should take note!

I also miss Amara's original cutesty persona I hope she gets to show this more to make her personality more visible. She is so cute and adorable here and it seems more natural. Not sure if she's comfortable with the brand of glamour that her team wants her to have. What do you think?

Last edited:

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
Agreed, her team should take note!

I also miss Amara's original cutesty persona I hope she gets to show this more to make her personality more visible. She is so cute and adorable here and it seems more natural. Not sure if she's comfortable with the brand of glamour that her team wants her to have. What do you think?

Yes, it definitely seems like they are trying to change her persona. I hope she doesn’t lose the essence of who she is. Most people like her because of her fun, down to earth personality.

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
Did you buy Brandy's last album? How about India Arie's, Fantasia's or Jennifer Hudson's albums? Do you go to their concerts or follow them on social media and challenge people to support help propel these ladies to the status of Bey or RiRi? Tina Turner reached those heights in her 40s so it's still time for these women.

Also, what qualifies Amara to be the next Rihanna or Beyonce aside from being an attractive dark skinned artist? (Your post focuses on that)

Amara is talented but keep in mind that Bey and RiRi have music that appeals to the masses. Amara is focused on one genre and it's not one that many AA consume. Plus, she sometimes comes off like she's seeking whiter Latino approval and is just pandering to AA as a stepping stone.

Amara can have her chance but her music may not appeal to many AAs. Cardi's music already fits into the current hip hop landscape and is familiar to AAs. Cardi and Amara are in two different lanes.

Rihanna couldn’t even SING when she first started out so why bash Amara who has more NATURAL talent? Artists typically develop with time. Rihanna is a manufactured artist.

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
Lauryn Hill has been coasting for 20 years off of ONE good album and Mary is hood famous. None of them have EVER reached a Beyoncé or Rihanna level of fame so stop being obtuse. If y'all can support "I don't dance now, I make money moves" type lyrics and wack off-beat flow, then Amara should have a chance too. But Amara needs to choose.....the latinos will NEVER make her a big recording artist because she's too dark. Her best bet is to appeal to American audiences as much as she can in the beginning and after 2 albums, start incorporating a Latin sound.

She should go the JLo route. JLo crafted more of an American urban sound in order to appeal to AAs. She did several American albums before she even attempted to do a Spanish language album.

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
I think Amara struggles with that desire to want to fit in with mainstream Latino society. However, they have their set beauty standards and I don’t ever see that changing. Most of them want to see white faces on the screen. It’s sad but it is what it is. She needs to get in where she fits in and stop worrying about what white Latinos like.

MissSheila

Wearing Long Fur Coat of Mink
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
9,160 625 433
Alleybux
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

tumblr_noy5v5Vk2R1slj24go1_500.gif

But what does that have to do with the point I was making? Also, I'm not the person who introduced RiRi or Bey into the convo. I only referenced them in response to that font.

ETA: And I didn't bash Amara. So why would you lie and say I did? I pointed out that some AAs may not like her genre of music which is true.

Are you bashing Amara because you say she needs to stop trying to appeal to the mass Latino population?

Rihanna couldn’t even SING when she first started out so why bash Amara who has more NATURAL talent? Artists typically develop with time. Rihanna is a manufactured artist.

Last edited:

Yaki1B

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,754 1,333 1,033
Alleybux
The makeup artist did not do a good job on matching Amara’s foundation. It looked ok in the sunny, well lit scenes but in the darker scenes (aka the majority of the video), there was a grey cast that made her look casket ready. They probably used a foundation for warmer skin tones with a golden undertone rather than one for cooler skin tones with a red undertone like hers.

The love interest was meh as well. I hate guys with stomachs like that, lean and ripped but their muscles aren’t big to begin with so their 6 packs look more like a series of weird ripples.

I like this song as a follow up single, but not as a lead single right before summer. Something more akin to “Ay”, fun and easy to dance to would’ve been a better move IMO.

I was looking at the same exact thing. What is going on with the makeup?! It was noticeably off. She almost looked corpse like in the face because the undertone was so off.

Otherwise she is a very beautiful woman.

PaulAtreides

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,971 4,671 2,842
Alleybux
I don’t remember Jlo appealing to AAs on her first album.

She blew up because of the Latin infused dance break on If You Had My Love.

Feeling So Good was with 2 Latinos, Pun and Fat Joe.

Let’s Get Loud was Latin Infused.

She had a hit with Marc Anthony.

I don’t recall any song prominently featuring AAs until she remixed her second album.

You had other artists like Ricky Marin and Shakira who kept the Latin sound.

Cardio is a rapper so it’s different. She still made sure to do songs with J Balvin and Bad Bunny though.

Zabia

First Lady
Reaction score
Reactions
43,446 2,873 1,347
Alleybux

Sadexo

besado por el sol
Reaction score
Reactions
29,746 4,057 5,580
Alleybux
That man in the video is handsome! I love everything about the video , and she look beautiful as always

Zabia

First Lady
Reaction score
Reactions
43,446 2,873 1,347
Alleybux
Lol, Amara loves her white menz.

Looks like a spicy white
WH5jO64.gif

Wait am I watching the right video?The guy in the video posted by OP looks black maybe afro-latino at best to me. I don't see a spicy white man. Spciy white man to me is Ricky Martin or Marc Anthony. The guy I'm looking at looks BLACK is there another part to the song I missed or something? Sitting here seriously confused.

Amara_La_Negra_Insecure.png

Sadexo

besado por el sol
Reaction score
Reactions
29,746 4,057 5,580
Alleybux

I don’t recall any song prominently featuring AAs until she remixed her second album.

Cardio is a rapper so it’s different. She still made sure to do songs with J Balvin and Bad Bunny though.

You are right about jlo . Jlo first album she definitely tried to grab her Latinos audience.

Cardi is going to be huge because she can appeal to black and Latinos . I loved her song with ozuna , and than I can listen to bodak yellow . She has two huge fan bases .

Cardi can really break records if she continues to do both genres! If she grabs black and Latinos audience . She going to be a threat

Catherine Tramell

Have you ever f*cked on cocaine, Nick? It’s nice.
Reaction score
Reactions
35,313 988 803
Alleybux

No Me Ames was the sh!t!

3245175942_1_15_6iEhOynU.gif

Family stayed having it on repeat. Her and Marc Anthony were everythang. And let’s get loud!

About to have me listen to On the 6 again

Last edited:

MrsTresvant

Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,486 20,156 17,407
Alleybux
The makeup artist did not do a good job on matching Amara’s foundation. It looked ok in the sunny, well lit scenes but in the darker scenes (aka the majority of the video), there was a grey cast that made her look casket ready. They probably used a foundation for warmer skin tones with a golden undertone rather than one for cooler skin tones with a red undertone like hers..

She ALWAYS looks casket ready with an ashen grey undertone...I'm starting to think it is on purpose.

Jccar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,466 1,050 950
Alleybux
IDC, IDC, IDC...Im loving the hell out this song!!! YAAAAASSSSS

AngelLive

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,147 581 229
Alleybux
I love the song, but the video in my head for it was ten times better. The audio video had tons of views, but they lost the traction with this low budget afterthought.

Oda Mae Brown

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
207,132 1,637 622
Alleybux
Whoever shot this video does not know how to light dark skin. She looked washed out/ grey on some shots. Also the editing was horrible too as her mouth wasn't synced with the words at some points.

She did too much at times with her facial expressions and the video literally had no concept. It was cheap and that obvious liquor spot was shameless lmao.

Amara girl I really like you but this is a no. I'm also side eyeing her team for having a lack of color in her videos.

The Bam video was a No for me too because she had that visor on too much, there was alack of melanin. The Bam video should have looked exactly how 2 chainz feat. Pharrell Feds watching video was with nothing but black beauties.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
I love the song but I don't like the video...her skin and hair look weird like a weird color tone or something and her makeup looks caked almost...I mean she is a stunning woman but this video does her no favors...

Idk maybe its the lighting...

Flames

Cold Hearted Snake
Reaction score
Reactions
42,171 3,373 1,551
Alleybux
WH5jO64.gif

Wait am I watching the right video?The guy in the video posted by OP looks black maybe afro-latino at best to me. I don't see a spicy white man. Spciy white man to me is Ricky Martin or Marc Anthony. The guy I'm looking at looks BLACK is there another part to the song I missed or something? Sitting here seriously confused.

Ricky Martin is obviously white, but Marc Anthony? Lmao no.

Flames

Cold Hearted Snake
Reaction score
Reactions
42,171 3,373 1,551
Alleybux
Yes, if Latinos wanted her to blow up, she would have already blown up in th Latin market, a la Ricky Martin, Selena or Gloria Estefan (sorry, I don’t know a lot of Latin Artists). I assume that some Dominicans are supporting her but it wasn’t enough to make her a bigger artist. So, if you are going to crossover into the American market and you want to appeal to black Americans, we need to see black faces, black dancers, etc. Cardi had a bunch of her black friends from the Bronx up in her old videos and she isn’t even black.

Cardi is repping more black people than Amara at this point which is surprising.

Selena was never big in Latin America before her death. She was a regional Mexican artist. And Gloria Estefan was not big in Latin America either. She was huge outside Latin America. Ricky Martin was obviously huge there and crossed over internationally (and made his comeback recently in Latin America after the backlash against him).

The biggest Latin American artist right now is Ozuna who's black btw, but his Cardi collab flopped hard there:

GabrieleChristo

DEPROGRAMMING
Reaction score
Reactions
158,004 8,380 11,373
Alleybux
Selena was never big in Latin America before her death. She was a regional Mexican artist. And Gloria Estefan was not big in Latin America either. She was huge outside Latin America. Ricky Martin was obviously huge there and crossed over internationally (and made his comeback recently in Latin America after the backlash against him).

The biggest Latin American artist right now is Ozuna who's black btw, but his Cardi collab flopped hard there:

This song is cute. I wonder why it flopped.

Twirl

“Good to hear from you, b!tch”
Reaction score
Reactions
39,584 2,726 875
Alleybux
WH5jO64.gif

The love interest in the video is most definitely Black. LSA trolls are just tripping, per usual.