An Open Letter To My Frustrated White Friends

Reactions
99,776 3,544 1,012
Alleybux
(I didn't write this)

I imagine that this must be a frustrating time. For many of you that refer to yourself as white or Caucasian, and remain deeply engaged with the social and political issues that have dominated media commentary in recent months, this time in history must feel like a heavy shadow from a distant past that simply will not go away. We recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of a momentous civil rights march in Selma, Alabama – a day known to us today as “Blood Sunday” – and although you know we have a long way to go, you remain proud that your generation has made significant strides in the fight for justice and equality. You are not simply proud because you did not grow up in a world of Jim Crow and lynching. Indeed, you recognize that structural racism is still a fight we have yet to overcome, even in our supposed post-racial society. You are proud because, despite the bigotry of previous generations of white Americans that you still struggle to understand, you know deep within your heart that you are not racist. You care deeply about equality in America. You are driven by a passion to leave a meaningful legacy in your community and help others through your service. You engage in honest and vulnerable dialogue with peers, and you try to acknowledge privilege for what it is. Most of all, you do not chant racist songs. There simply is no place in our world for that kind of blatant hate. And you are not alone.

Simply put, notwithstanding the great work that still needs to be done to overcome prejudice and structural racism in America, there are many white Americans that abhor racism and are fighting for a better tomorrow. I know because many of us went to school together. Yet, nevertheless, a lot of people are wrongfully judging you right now. Lumping you in with the "rest" and believing the worst of your character. Associating you with ugly words chanted by confused college kids in a small town in Oklahoma. There are people stereotyping you based upon the actions of a small few. :disdain: People who are angrily staring at you on the train with burning eyes, or walking past you on the sidewalk with an annoyed glare, assuming that you must agree with the ignorant words of a few young men and women who happen to look just like you. They don’t see you for who you really are. And to be frank, that is not right, and it sucks.

It totally sucks to be stereotyped by the media's negative portrayal of a small percentage of your community. It sucks to be viewed as a threat simply because of the color of your skin. It sucks to sit in a classroom and be expected to explain the beliefs and actions of your parents and grandparents. It sucks to succeed academically and have your friends presume that it wasn’t simply because of your hard work. It sucks to have people assume the worst of you based upon a physical characteristic you cannot change, based upon a history you cannot run away from, and based upon a culture you do not always embrace. It sucks to have your character and your convictions and your beliefs reduced to the size of a crayon in a box. You are bigger than that. You are more than your skin color. You are more than the texture of your hair and the color of your eyes. You are more than the beliefs and actions of your parents, or your peers, or that guy and gal in another state that happens to look just like you. Your words resonate deeper that an ignorant, hate-filled song. And your thoughts and ideas stretch farther than the threads of an imaginary, blood-soaked noose. Race should be something we do with our legs on a track, not something we use to demote our shared humanity to a game of cowboys and indians. And you believe this to the core, because it’s right.

So to my white friends who feel a sense of anxiety and frustration for being judged by the color of your skin in this difficult time in history, I hear you. And to my white friends who feel a sense of angst for being judged based upon the actions of a select few, I get you.

I get you.

Because I am a Black man, and I live in America.

https://blavity.com/to-my-frustrate...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Am I wrong for feeling uncomfortable by this?

Reactions
360 7 5
Alleybux
3a2c869b-9afa-4cd3-b761-7678ecaad813-jpg.jpg

Reactions
126,681 2,126 1,777
Alleybux
lmao i didn't realize this was an article at first, i was about to rip your scalp out, op. like, really, sis?? :dead:

i'll withhold my judgment of the writer of that article. i mean, he's probably tired from sifting through so many dumpsters each night and all that tap dancing.

giphy.gif

Reactions
39,646 282 91
Alleybux
I thought I was reading a parody. I just knew the sarcasm was going somewhere until I realized he was serious. Blessed be.

Watching great chefs of the world
Reactions
28,842 484 152
Alleybux
Why defend the majority? I'd rather he write about his black bredren who are frustrated with today's state of affairs. Whighty got enough whights standing up for them. Damn.

Reactions
212,446 3,551 2,574
Alleybux
:e1_25:Whatever. It's one thing to say All white people aren't racist bigots and leave it at that.

but even the ones who are aware of their own privilege who recognize we're treated like shit, can tell you that most of their fellow brother and sisters are either intentionally racist, unintentionally racist, or in their own white bubble completely oblivious to anything going on to any person of color.

The Culture

Television Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Are there ANY HOCKEY HEAUXS up on LSA???Are there ANY CUTE players?
never forget. s1d almost sacrificed hockey for this: could you imagine s1d as your beautician? and the line outside of that salon? Hold up...
The Henry Cavill Appreciation & (Former) Harem Meet-up Thread (Part 6)
The IG people have now changed tack, and are saying that the light in the lift is red so the photo can’t be real because they don’t look red. Am I...
I took petty revenge on him
Well this guy I was talking to poured his heart out to me, told me all about his past traumas and confessed that he loved me and then the next day...
"Legendary" (House Ballroom competition) - HBO Max
We have to remember the producers really choose the winners & hosts lol. Everything is strategic, they want certain viewership so I doubt they’ll...
Why Do Democrats Infantilize Us So Much
Read my other replies please. I've already answered your second question. None of those place you mentioned are on this list…...
DeSantis ban on vaccine proof may send one company's cruise ships out of Florida
ok bye -Florida Resident Exactly! Stay gone too. The whole of Florida has a combined IQ of -.5, so I’m not surprised. Let the cruise ship...
Jayde Kamille Robinson, Averi Nicole, Kerry and Francis Garner: #garnergang antics
Imagine this thing panting and grunting and dripping sweat on top of you while resting his lazy stomach on yours paralyzing your diaphragm so you...
Black People, We Are Something Else.... LMAOOOOOO
it always felt spiritual to me. Cutting through someone's name, like cutting them off in some way. Don't like it.
Why are women not sympathetic to REAL trans women's plight
Ah, I was waiting for when you would mention that dude as a representative of the trans community. lol Not going to happen, you can't deny us...
Aba and Preach
Hey Simon and Pumba!!:heart: I know you’re reading this so I just wanted to say: F*CK Y’ALL N*GGASSSSS. Bottom of the barrel, big bodied, crusty...
Top Bottom