Beth's video letter (it's so wholesome):

Last edited:

BasicItch

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
666 29 17
Alleybux
ok two instances where they discuss racism. but I'm confused.
why would anime, a media that comes from a country that's 99.9% monoethnic, be expected to discuss racism and problems that come with living in a multiethnic society? Anime is made by Japanese people for Japanese. We westerns get to enjoy it but everything isn't about us.

The rare case they do discuss it, cool. I loved the way attack on titans is handling racism. but everything doesn't always have to be about race/racism. I feel like it's being inserted everywhere and it's frankly getting freaking annoying. Truthfully I rather keep that out of my media

Remmy45

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,774 5,703 6,733
Alleybux
Agreed with person above, japan is a country that is largely of the same ethnicity, why would they discuss racism when everyone is nearly the same

Goodgyalknd

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* in my princess era *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Reaction score
Reactions
262,771 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
why would anime, a media that comes from a country that's 99.9% monoethnic, be expected to discuss racism and problems that come with living in a multiethnic society? Anime is made by Japanese people for Japanese. We westerns get to enjoy it but everything isn't about us.

The rare case they do discuss it, cool. I loved the way attack on titans is handling racism. but everything doesn't always have to be about race/racism. I feel like it's being inserted everywhere and it's frankly getting freaking annoying. Truthfully I rather keep that out of my media
Racism is not something restricted to diverse places. No one said anything about making anime for us, I'm just pointing out that people act like anime never discusses racism and discussing racism is a new thing that "SJWs" came up with.

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,771 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
Agreed with person above, japan is a country that is largely of the same ethnicity, why would they discuss racism when everyone is nearly the same
Racism is an attitude not a population stat. Japan has it's own history with racial tensions, especially when it comes to WW2. But the real question is what's wrong with talking about racism?

Whathdickens

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,553 447 51
Alleybux
I think it is great that this anime is including discussions about racism, but I am a tired of talking about racism allll the time on media outlets and dealing with in the real world. Anime is my escape and it is nice seeing black characters just be without a struggle or racism being a forefront of discussion.

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,771 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
I think it is great that this anime is including discussions about racism, but I am a tired of talking about racism allll the time on media outlets and dealing with in the real world. Anime is my escape and it is nice seeing black characters just be without a struggle or racism being a forefront of discussion.
Anime is not just for our escapism, it's also some directors and writers creative outlet. Racism is not the only heavy thing this show, it also included divorce, miscarriage, bullying and loneliness. Because that's what the showrunners wanted to include.

BasicItch

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
666 29 17
Alleybux
Racism is not something restricted to diverse places. No one said anything about making anime for us, I'm just pointing out that people act like anime never discusses racism and discussing racism is a new thing that "SJWs" came up with.
Your right, racism doesn't just come from diverse populations living with each other but World war 2 was 80 years ago, every single nation and people on earth struggled with racial and ethnic tensions then. But I've been to Japan 4 times. I've been treated with nothing but the utmost respect and kindness. Why? when they don't talk nearly as much about racism as we do in America? Because Teaching kids general ideas like treat people who are different than you with kindness and with respect are enough. That's what I learned growing up and millennials are one of the most open-minded generations ever.

You may love talking about race and racism, but alot of us are sooooooo freaking tired of it. It literally is everywhere. In our jobs, In diversity training seminars, on the news, in our television programs, In sports. Like fµck we get it already. I DO not want to be constantly be bombarded with racism.

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,417 4,931 1,464
Alleybux

There is a manga drawn by Japanese artist Wazarai Shizuya that tackles racism. Specifically, the focus is on racism in the 1880s and it stars a black man as the protagonist. It is called Blaster Knuckle. Just because Japan is a homogenous country does not mean that their artists cannot or should not openly discuss racism.

1617929544964.png

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,771 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
Your right, racism doesn't just come from diverse populations living with each other but World war 2 was 80 years ago, every single nation and people on earth struggled with racial and ethnic tensions then. But I've been to Japan 4 times. I've been treated with nothing but the utmost respect and kindness. Why? when they don't talk nearly as much about racism as we do in America? Because Teaching kids general ideas like treat people who are different than you with kindness and with respect are enough. That's what I learned growing up and millennials are one of the most open-minded generations ever.

You may love talking about race and racism, but alot of us are sooooooo freaking tired of it. It literally is everywhere. In our jobs, In diversity training seminars, on the news, in our television programs, In sports. Like fµck we get it already. I DO not want to be constantly be bombarded with racism.
I don't care if things choose to talk about race or not but it shouldn't be treated as a taboo topic. Anime includes serious issues like suicide, mental health or bullying all the time but then 1 anime episode mentions racism and it's like "omg we're so tired".

I can't even think of that many western cartoons that deal with racism regularily outside of Boondocks.

East_Afriqueen

Sukuna's simp
Reaction score
Reactions
105,274 2,281 579
Alleybux
If anime wants to discuss racism I feel like it would mostly be towards other Asians. As Japanese people tend to look down on Koreans, Chinese, and other Asians in general

You said everything I was thinking. I feel like everything tries to push a western perspective on everything.

Not saying that Japanese people cannot be racists. But their approach about speaking on it and who it would be focused on would be different then what we (western people) would be used to

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,771 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
There is a manga drawn by Japanese artist Wazarai Shizuya that tackles racism. Specifically, the focus is on racism in the 1880s and it stars a black man as the protagonist. It is called Blaster Knuckle. Just because Japan is a homogenous country does not mean that their artists cannot or should not openly discuss racism.

View attachment 2458857
Remember that time Full Metal Alchemist had an entire plotline and character background related to racism but no one acted like it was a big deal?

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,771 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
If anime wants to discuss racism I feel like it would mostly be towards other Asians. As Japanese people tend to look down on Koreans.

You said everything I was thinking. I feel like everything tries to push a western perspective om everything.
This show came out in 90s, no one pushed a western perspective on the writers. It was their own choice.

East_Afriqueen

Sukuna's simp
Reaction score
Reactions
105,274 2,281 579
Alleybux
This show came out in 90s, no one pushed a western perspective on the writers. It was their own choice.
I'm not talking about the doremi clips you posted. Just anime in general.

I never said anything about not wanting racism discussed in anime. I said their perspective it racism, how it is discussed, and how it plays on in Japanese society can be different to how it is normally experienced and portrayed in Western countries.

And honestly while it's nice that some mangaka choose bring awareness to it. They don't have to.

If anything I always advocate for people to tell the stories they want see.

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,771 12,735 1,841
Alleybux
I'm not talking about the doremi clips you posted. Just anime in general.

I never said anything about not wanting racism discussed in anime. I said their perspective it racism, how it is discussed, and how it plays on in Japanese society can be different to how it is normally experienced and portrayed in Western countries.

And honestly while it's nice that some mangaka choose bring awareness to it. They don't have to.

If anything I always advocate for people to tell the stories they want see.
I agree with you, I think it's cool when creators choose to discuss racism in a sincere way. But I'm also not a fan of bullying people into including certain topics or characters.

I hate it when people put pressure on creators to pander to them either way.

BasicItch

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
666 29 17
Alleybux

View attachment 2458857
Interesting. I never knew this existed. But I personally prefer black stories to be told by black people. Or people in general to tell their own stories. Like I also think I'd look weird trying to write a shojo romance about Japanese school girl falling in love. I have never been to school in japan. I know the general culture but not the nuanced details. But if you like that, cool.

BasicItch

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
666 29 17
Alleybux
Remember that time Full Metal Alchemist had an entire plotline and character background related to racism but no one acted like it was a big deal?
I loved the way Fullmetal alchemist discussed racism. I guess the difference for me is racism conducive to the storyline (like Fullmetal alchemist and attack on titan) Or is it pushed in for woke points, pandering, pressure from the audience, and/or moral grandstanding? (like a lot of media now and days) because I genuinely don't have a problem with the first. But I refuse to watch the second.

Triela

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,612 176 22
Alleybux
I have a feeling if any current anime said the same thing then people would say that the anime is pandering too.

castform

flame
Reaction score
Reactions
15,544 762 1,107
Alleybux
Interesting. I never knew this existed. But I personally prefer black stories to be told by black people. Or people in general to tell their own stories. Like I also think I'd look weird trying to write a shojo romance about Japanese school girl falling in love. I have never been to school in japan. I know the general culture but not the nuanced details. But if you like that, cool.
To be fair, when black people tell our own stories y'all still get mad. In fact there's constant silencing in the black community when people discuss racism in their lives. Somebody always jumps in scream "stop being a victim!!!!" "I have LOTS OF WHITE FRIENDS!!". Okay good for you

shellbelrowe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,742 4,272 1,046
Alleybux
The Japanese community much like typical Asians are guilty of white washing and cultural appropriation considering a lot of the characters in anime have European physical characteristics/phenotypes. Blonde, blue, red, white, brown hair along with an array of eye colors. A lot of them want to be close to white as possible while maintaining their monoethnic backgrounds. So I really don’t put it past them to discuss things like racism. But I agree with what the OP is saying to a point...