Quantcast

Any GOSPEL tea? (Part IV)

BigMark111

Get your house in order....
Reaction score
Reactions
427 8 3
Alleybux
I don't know if this is her most known song, but this is the only reason I know of her

live version

This was one the she was known for before her untimely passing... Magnify

BigMark111

Get your house in order....
Reaction score
Reactions
427 8 3
Alleybux
.... He seemed like he didn't really want to sing gospel but CCM and I was surprised he had a large black following, black wife and even more surprised that he pastors a black church....

Didn't William Murphy start at New Birth under Eddie Long? If I remember, he started Dream Center after leaving there.

MissJada

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,432 580 26
Alleybux
Didn't William Murphy start at New Birth under Eddie Long? If I remember, he started Dream Center after leaving there.
I believe William is originally from Detroit and went to New Birth after his divorce. William helped usher in the praise & worship sound that a lot of gospel artist are now doing. Which is fine, but I never cared for his attitude and then calling the black church slow is what completely turned me off to him. It's been said Eddie Long was strict when it came to taking care of children and cheating. And when he caught wind of the fact that William wasn't paying child support to his ex wife he had it taken out of his check. I don't know why he left. Tasha Cobbs was at William's church before going to John Gray's and its been said she has a large white following. I guess even though they mostly sing CCM/praise & worship they go to where there's a steady pay check.

MissJada

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,432 580 26
Alleybux
People posted open casket photos of her on their social media. The family to request that they be taken down.
This habit of cells phone out everywhere is annoying and disrespectful. Unless you're family or have permission from the family, you shouldn't be taking pictures of the person and you definitely shouldn't be posting them. Everyone just seems to be looking for that viral moment and churches and other places are just allowing it so that people can come in and they brag about numbers. I don't believe it will kill anyone to put the phone down for a couple of hours.

Cicely Tyson

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,866 739 784
Alleybux
VBA was messing around with JPK back in the 90's. LaCresia Campbell said during that time, VBA was unbearable to be around. You know have to be a whole mess if if someone is telling a stranger your business. I sang back up with Lacresia on a play and while we were in those long rehearsals, VBA paged her to come to ATL and sing with her for a show, and Lacresha turned it down. She said she didn't feel like dealing with her talking about JPK the whole time. I had just met LaCresia at the time and we became close after that.

This was right before Lacresia got kicked out of Chicago and she moved to Alabama.
I love lecresia Campbell she is one of my favorite gospel singers. I always thought she could have been bigger. Rest in Jesus Lecresia

ShotGunBetty

I am Denise Huxtable
Reaction score
Reactions
24,903 775 251
Alleybux
This habit of cells phone out everywhere is annoying and disrespectful. Unless you're family or have permission from the family, you shouldn't be taking pictures of the person and you definitely shouldn't be posting them. Everyone just seems to be looking for that viral moment and churches and other places are just allowing it so that people can come in and they brag about numbers. I don't believe it will kill anyone to put the phone down for a couple of hours.
It's also a shame that people have to put out disclaimers to put away your cell phones.

Cicely Tyson

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,866 739 784
Alleybux
Everything surrounding her passing and funeral was a mess. And she didn’t deserve any of it.
Yes Aretha deserved better and Rev Jasper Williams with that terrible eulogy if we can even call it that didn’t make it any better either.

Cicely Tyson

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,866 739 784
Alleybux
People posted open casket photos of her on their social media. The family to request that they be taken down.
I didn’t like how they did Aretha like that. This is why I don’t believe in public funerals because that’s such an intimate situation that should only be reserved for family and friends.

Cicely Tyson

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,866 739 784
Alleybux
I love, love, love that song!
Didn’t know her or who even sang it originally.
That is what’s different about gospel music from secular music.
We can hear How Excellent sung in any given church service ‘for free’. Never really knowing the original artist.
Yes she was anointed I wish she would have been bigger she had an incredible voice.

sherrod

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,862 575 4
Alleybux
This current trend of the church being the family business that gets passed to the kids seems to be ending congregations left and right these days.

Idk if it has always been the case and I just now noticed it? lol But when I was growing up I don't recall any preachers being given their church from their fathers. It was always someone unrelated to them that chose them as their successor.
Nepotism is alive and well in the church.

I hsve heard that a lot of founders and Bishops do it to guarantee their wives won’t be cut off from their retirement. Once a non family member gets in, they can get a new church board and change the bylaws. Again, so I’ve heard.

I am certain Lady Mae has enough money to be well taken care of for life. I am told Bishop Blake’s house was appraised at 10 million?

In this case, she may be wanting to preserve the Blake name for W ang.

a church like that requires someone with star power and charisma to carry on and retain the crowd. Bishop McMurray was very smart in bringing in Noel Jones for that purpose.

love center in Oakland is a ghost town. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to close their doors or move to a storefront.They needed a celebrity with a musical legacy. Instead Edwin brought in a no name teacher type guy whom no one seemed to care much for. He looked so lost and out of place

Have you ever wondered what is going to happen to the potters house? Perhaps the daughter will take it. We will see.

sherrod

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,862 575 4
Alleybux
I believe William is originally from Detroit and went to New Birth after his divorce. William helped usher in the praise & worship sound that a lot of gospel artist are now doing. Which is fine, but I never cared for his attitude and then calling the black church slow is what completely turned me off to him. It's been said Eddie Long was strict when it came to taking care of children and cheating. And when he caught wind of the fact that William wasn't paying child support to his ex wife he had it taken out of his check. I don't know why he left. Tasha Cobbs was at William's church before going to John Gray's and its been said she has a large white following. I guess even though they mostly sing CCM/praise & worship they go to where there's a steady pay check.
Eddie Long was strict concerning taking care of children and cheating??? LOL

Scripter

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,097 253 14
Alleybux
Nepotism is alive and well in the church.

I hsve heard that a lot of founders and Bishops do it to guarantee their wives won’t be cut off from their retirement. Once a non family member gets in, they can get a new church board and change the bylaws. Again, so I’ve heard.

I am certain Lady Mae has enough money to be well taken care of for life. I am told Bishop Blake’s house was appraised at 10 million?

In this case, she may be wanting to preserve the Blake name for W ang.

a church like that requires someone with star power and charisma to carry on and retain the crowd. Bishop McMurray was very smart in bringing in Noel Jones for that purpose.

love center in Oakland is a ghost town. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to close their doors or move to a storefront.They needed a celebrity with a musical legacy. Instead Edwin brought in a no name teacher type guy whom no one seemed to care much for. He looked so lost and out of place

Have you ever wondered what is going to happen to the potters house? Perhaps the daughter will take it. We will see.
This didn't work out too well for Archbishop Roy E. Brown's wife - Pilgrim Assemblies in Brooklyn NY. After the Archbishop died, they were ready to give her the left foot of fellowship! There was a big ole mess surrounding it. Word has it that Bishop Jordan tried to give her some money to help her out. Not sure whatever happened with that.

sherrod

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,862 575 4
Alleybux
I always found open casket photos to be creepy why would anyone want to take photos of somebody in a casket?
Me too! I’ll never forget when william
McCray posted Eddie Long lying in state. He caught a lot of flack but of course you know he don’t care. Anything for attention.

Cicely Tyson

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,866 739 784
Alleybux
This didn't work out too well for Archbishop Roy E. Brown's wife - Pilgrim Assemblies in Brooklyn NY. After the Archbishop died, they were ready to give her the left foot of fellowship! There was a big ole mess surrounding it. Word has it that Bishop Jordan tried to give her some money to help her out. Not sure whatever happened with that.
Larry Reid did an interview with her she got put out of her house too. Her husband should have taken care of her.

Scripter

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,097 253 14
Alleybux
Larry Reid did an interview with her she got put out of her house too. Her husband should have taken care of her.
Sad. When I lived in New York back in the 90's, i used to slide over to Pilgrim from time to time. They had the best music department. With Shelly (forgot her last name) directing the choir and Stanley Brown on that organ, the would tear the house up and down. Pilgrim was the go to - or at least one of the go to churches - back then. I think the last lady was the Bishop's third wife and they had been together for a while. Not sure why matters were handled they way they were.

sherrod

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,862 575 4
Alleybux
I remember that.
Didn’t something similar happen at Bishop Moales church? I know there was some kind of big fight that broke out during service.

Woke247

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,052 445 50
Alleybux
From what I heard Murphy was paying his wife but she wanted a fatter check she basically didn’t believe in him being in ministry full time once they got divorced his ministry took off she wanted more of the pie and took it from the child support then word got back to Eddie Long and he cut the check

Scripter

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,097 253 14
Alleybux
I remember that.
Didn’t something similar happen at Bishop Moales church? I know there was some kind of big fight that broke out during service.
Dunno about that. I'm not that deep into all of the Bishops, the COGICs and all of the happening. I just know little sprinkles of stuff here and there. Wasn't Hezekiah Walker affiliated with Bishop Moales? I thought I remember reading something about that.

Woke247

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,052 445 50
Alleybux
Also Tasha Cobbs left right before his scandal she got married went to her husband church then John Gray offered a fat check and they ran there when John church went up in flame over scandal she ran back to Murphy and he said no you can’t come back on staff so she started her own church

ShotGunBetty

I am Denise Huxtable
Reaction score
Reactions
24,903 775 251
Alleybux
I always found open casket photos to be creepy why would anyone want to take photos of somebody in a casket?
It's very creepy. Even at my mom's funeral - I felt a little more at ease at the wake, but who wants to be scrolling and see and up close open casket. My cousin told me she took a video at her funeral, and I had to double confirm that she did not get a video of her - because my cousin is silly like that.

When I was in high school, JET Magazine posted open casket pics of James Cleveland's open bed casket and it took WEEKS for me to get that out of my head.

Cicely Tyson

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,866 739 784
Alleybux
It's very creepy. Even at my mom's funeral - I felt a little more at ease at the wake, but who wants to be scrolling and see and up close open casket. My cousin told me she took a video at her funeral, and I had to double confirm that she did not get a video of her - because my cousin is silly like that.

When I was in high school, JET Magazine posted open casket pics of James Cleveland's open bed casket and it took WEEKS for me to get that out of my head.
I remember seeing Emmett Till’s open casket photos in Jet Magazine and Ebony Magazine when I was a kid seeing his head disfigured like that gave me nightmares. It took me a long time to get those images out of my head.

sherrod

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,862 575 4
Alleybux
Sad. When I lived in New York back in the 90's, i used to slide over to Pilgrim from time to time. They had the best music department. With Shelly (forgot her last name) directing the choir and Stanley Brown on that organ, the would tear the house up and down. Pilgrim was the go to - or at least one of the go to churches - back then. I think the last lady was the Bishop's third wife and they had been together for a while. Not sure why matters were handled they way they were.
Do you remember Melvin Crispell? I was trying to remember which church he played for in Brooklyn before he moved. Seem like it was a Bibleway church. His death was such a shock. His son Melvin III won first place in a singing contest. Is Monique still in the area? Institutional was such a happening place at one time.

Cicely Tyson

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,866 739 784
Alleybux
Do you remember Melvin Crispell? I was trying to remember which church he played for in Brooklyn before he moved. Seem like it was a Bibleway church. His death was such a shock. His son Melvin III won first place in a singing contest. Is Monique still in the area? Institutional was such a happening place at one time.
Isn’t Melvin Crispell the one that won Sunday’s best in 2019?

sherrod

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,862 575 4
Alleybux
Dunno about that. I'm not that deep into all of the Bishops, the COGICs and all of the happening. I just know little sprinkles of stuff here and there. Wasn't Hezekiah Walker affiliated with Bishop Moales? I thought I remember reading something about that.
Yes, I recall Hezekiah walker being associated with Bishop Moales as was Walter Hawkins. In fact, Morales eulogized Walter and prophesied publicly for the son Jamie to take the church. I think he anointed him at the funeral? It turned out to be a BIG MESS.

DorindaEstephe

Dorinda
Reaction score
Reactions
13,953 628 16
Alleybux
I agree, they didn’t do pastor Reems right. It all stemmed from being territorial and jealousShe was going out there on the streets on that flatbed truck preaching with a bull horn. I always admired her for her work in the community. Brondon is pathetic. But she gotta support her son because I would imagine she gets a retirement from the church. Brondon looks like a Cleveland though LOL!
Do you happen to know how Jamie is doing these days? He was making his wife dress like the 1950s for a while there LOL!but last I heard she is not well. They have a ton of kids.
I'm so glad you mentioned that because she didn't look like that when they first got together/got married. Of course people's styles change over the years but recently she's been looking like a straight biscuit. They seem like lovely people though, I watch their church services from time to time.

I remember a few months ago Jamie was riled up about that PBS special on the black church for black history month. He got on a soap box on Facebook.

Woke247

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,052 445 50
Alleybux
I remember seeing Emmett Till’s open casket photos in Jet Magazine and Ebony Magazine when I was a kid seeing his head disfigured like that gave me nightmares. It took me a long time to get those images out of my head.
That’s one photo I can’t ever get out my head

Scripter

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,097 253 14
Alleybux
I remember hearing about him but I don't remember which church he played for. There were so many up and coming artist back then. Established folks too. I remember being out in Brooklyn and walking into a super market and saw Timothy Wright coming out. He was such a kind person. Took the time to say hi and indulge me in a little chat. Pilgrim was a huge church. So a lot of people used to go there to do concerts. I want to say Pilgrim owned some kind of theater or something to that affect. That's where a lot of concerts and recordings took place. Not to mention, Stanley was connected with Hez and so many others. There would be tons of folks standing around at those recordings and concerts waiting for their chance to play. Not sure what's going on with Monique or where she is. I left NYC in the late 90's. So i am completely out of the current loop! lol

Trending Threads

News Alley

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom