Quantcast

Any simple routines or skincare products to treat acne and hyperpigmentation? Tired of all these 20 step routines

sunLady3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
429 22
Alleybux
Am I the only one overwhelmed with the amount of products/ ingredients to choose from to treat acne and hyperpigmentation? I am tired of trying like four different acids/peels- forgetting which one would interact with the other.. trying to find the right toners ....am/pm moisturizers and serums... I just want a simple routine or products that truly work

pentacles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
50,396 1,958 302
Alleybux
with hyperpigmentation and acne you have to attack from multiple angles. Maybe speak to a dermatologist or try one of those subscription services (EtA: like curology or dermatica) where they create a cream for you.

Last edited:

Formulator

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
139 5 8
Alleybux
Etude House Soon Jung cleanser (rinse well)
Brightening serum with niacinamide, vitamin c, Kojic acid and mild exfoliating ingredient like lactic acid
Then follow with a hydrating moisturiser that has a soothing effect. Apply sunscreen during daytime, rinse and repeat.
You don’t need a lot of steps just a few products that work for your skin type.
I didn’t suggest anything serum or moisturiser because that will depend on your skin type and needs.
Good luck

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,983 755 93
Alleybux
I used to do all those extra steps but stopped ans my skin looks even better. I decided to focus on making sure my skin was moisturized vs all that exfoliating I was doing. I wash, use mandelic acid from the ordinary, eye cream, and face cream. I might do something extra in between every now and again but that's it.

Edit: my tips are for hyperpigmentation I forgot to add

Last edited:

Tropical

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
52,049 1,965 238
Alleybux
-Micellar Water + cotton pad for cleansing 2x a day.

- Curology prescription at night for acne/hyperpigmentation.

- Cetaphil moisturizer when needed and sebum control sunblock during the day.

That’s it.
You can try Curology for $4.95. You submit your pics online to a dermatologist. If you like it, you can order auto delivery every month for $20 or skip months,etc. It’s non drying and has built in moisturizer so it’s a lot less irritating than other retinal or acid treatments.

Mito

Over it ~ DNI
SUPER MODERATOR
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
106,843 713 120
Alleybux
PAULA'S CHOICE!!!!!!

For Acne and Breakouts the 2% BHA Exfoliant and the BHA 9% treatment has been the most effective acne treatment for me in years.

Ilykeggs

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,675 3,273 684
Alleybux
There will never be just one product that will do it all. The people who can do that have good skin from genetics.

I really recommend tretinoin. The actual prescription stuff not other over the counter stuff that contains retinol. It causes cellular turn over. You can also try differen. Start off using it once a week then build up. I also recommend you use a BHA/AHA blend to exfoliate and get rid of that skin that is turning over. Use it on the days you are not using trent.

Mornings should look like this:

A gentle cleanser or just water
Hydrating Toner something with niacinamide
Vitamin C serum (there are products with vitamin c and niacinamide if you want to reduce a step)
Moisturizer (skip this if you have oily skin)
Spf

Night:
Oil cleanser
Regular cleanser
Toner
Trent or chemical exfoliant (use them both once a week st first. Days apart)
Moisturizer

This is the most simple routine I can think of for someone who has acne and hyperpigmentation.

Last edited:

Nah87

Master Manifestor Thot
Reaction score
Reactions
54,465 1,830 1,096
Alleybux
I use salicylic acid astringent. Clears my acne and dark marks when I get them. Works fast, too.

letlive

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,863 1,382 487
Alleybux
Morning:
1. Cleanse & tone
2. Vitamin c
3. Moisturize/ sunscreen

Night:
1. Cleanse & tone
2. Retin A
3. Moisturize

once per week: chemical peel. I use 40% glycolic acid.

waldorf888

...Chile anyways.
Reaction score
Reactions
14,646 648 375
Alleybux
If you want a simple routine, you need to minimize the amount of products you're using regularly. Social media and these beauty influencers want you to feel like you need 20 different products for am/pm and a beauty routine that takes an hour everyday, but that's just so that they can market you unnecessary products you don't really need.

I use a hibiscus clarifying face wash with a hyaluronic pearl face serum for moisturization, and The Ordinary's Niacinamide 10% and Zinc 1% for dark spots/acne. Ocassionally I'll use tea tree oil for spot treatments on cysts/pimples but other than that, that's it.

Also, be careful of over/under moisturization. Like with your scalp, over-moisturizing or using moisturizers that are too thick can mess with your face's natural sebum oil production, leading to acne/dark spots. Some people don't need to clarify/moisturize everyday. If that is you, try washing/moisturizing on alternate days and just water rinse on the days you don't, and see how well your skin holds up.

The less you manipulate your skin and the more you let your body do the rest the better.

brioche

gilded
Reaction score
Reactions
105,423 3,073 1,515
Alleybux
watch dr. idriss video on hyperpigmentation. you need to address it with several items. pick 3-4 actives and just stick with them.

Taralynn23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
96,558 3,360 1,982
Alleybux
differin gel completely cleared my skin and they make a product that helps clear discoloration which also works. You have to be consistent and deal with the “purge” but it really worked for me.

Requiem

Waiting to exhale.
Reaction score
Reactions
6,545 89 12
Alleybux
Tbh birth control, monthly facials (by a medical esthetician specializing in black skin), switching over to medical grade/professional skincare (especially spf) and drinking more water/cutting out soda etc.

Now if it’s not water it’s tea, lemonade w/ agave and cranberry juice/other fruit juices
I try to swap in honey and agave whenever I can

When I drink, it’s max twice a week, vodka and club soda (it’s low cal too) or white wine
I never really liked milk but cutting back on dairy (CHEESE ESPECIALLY) helps, I always get congestion after dairy, never fails
vitamins/supplements helped too!! (liquid chlorophyll in my water, liquid vit c and gluatathione etc; research research research)

The monthly facials really kick started my journey and got everything under control, birth control helps keep things in check during my monthly/if I fall off the wagon with my diet (aka making a mini charcuterie board for my damn self)

Taralynn23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
96,558 3,360 1,982
Alleybux
Am I the only one overwhelmed with the amount of products/ ingredients to choose from to treat acne and hyperpigmentation? I am tired of trying like four different acids/peels- forgetting which one would interact with the other.. trying to find the right toners ....am/pm moisturizers and serums... I just want a simple routine or products that truly work
Also go see an esthetician and get a facial and recommendations. It’s well worth it.

madameposh

✨feminine goddess✨
Reaction score
Reactions
65,517 565 33
Alleybux
I don't like to use many products either. At the end, I feel its more imporant to focus on the ingredients for your needs than on brands and the hype.

That beind said, cosrx blemish spot clearing serum has done wonders on my skin. I had a lot of bad acne scars and this helped A LOT. It has niacidamine and centella asiatica which are great for post-acne treatment. As I use tretinoin too, I put this before and it helps with irritation and dryness caused by the tret. Also make sure to grab a good sunscreen and eyecream.

COSRX-AC-Collection-Blemish-Spot-Clearing-Serum-40ml-Facial-Serum-4-Niacinamide-Acne-Removal-Blain-Imprint.jpg

Requiem

Waiting to exhale.
Reaction score
Reactions
6,545 89 12
Alleybux
Look into iS Clinical, Obagi, Skinceuticals, Image and PCA for esthetician/medical/professional grade skincare

If they’re out of your preferred price range (skincare is my ultimate vice so I spend $$$$$), Asian skincare is a godsend

Cosrx-power liquids (look into whether bha or aha is right for your skin type), the snail mucin line
Hanskin-they make a bomb hyaluronic skin essence
Klairs-vitamin c, supple preparation toner
Neogen-great spf 50 (has orange peel essence which can be sensitizing, best bet is to buy from Sephora so you can try and return if needed; I have sensitive/reactive skin and I loved it), face washes, toning pads

D O U X

libra's groove
Reaction score
Reactions
127,117 2,491 333
Alleybux
Whatever you do, please use sunscreen. There is no point in the work you're putting in if you aren't using sunscreen.

TDiva

Chicago Demon
Reaction score
Reactions
279,054 6,444 4,267
Alleybux
Go to a dermatologist. I went to my current derm for the first time a few years ago. In 3 months, they corrected something I had been trying to fix for years. All I needed was 2 scripts, one was cheap, one was not.

You have to stop the acne to prevent the hyperpigmentation. I don't deal with hyperpigmentation because I don't have break outs anymore. If you have something that helps your cells turn over faster, the hyperpigmentation goes away after a few months.

Also simple things like changing your pillow case every or every other night goes a long way to help with your skin.

BriaSmiles

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,502 122 25
Alleybux
Deciem 3 step skincare , get a dermatologist or dr to recommend you to Differin Gel (only use it at night for 3 months) lots of water and less sugar thats it.

Helga G.Pataki

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,031 657 94
Alleybux
This has worked for me: twice a day morning and night:
African black soap
CeraVe SA cream for rough and bumpy skin.
I was hesitant to use this on my face but it’s made such a difference!!

marrymejane

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,457 2,883 791
Alleybux
Vitamin C serum.

Wear sunscreen whenever you leave the house. (Sun worsens hyperpigmentation)

And of course, stop picking, if you do.

AuntieClif

No cryin at the Pynk
Reaction score
Reactions
13,594 1,088 203
Alleybux
For me the only things that worked were birth control (regulated my hormones) Tret (prescribed by deem) basic moisturizer & sunscreen. My skin went from terrible to absolutely glowing in about 2 months and I’m still upset I have everything from my old 1000 step regimen laying around with dust

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,520 5,072 186
Alleybux
see a dermatologist.

Elogean

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,432 94 69
Alleybux
Hello I damaged my moisture barrier last march 2020 and it took me about 6 month to find a simple routine that works:
- non irritating face wash (Avene cleanance hydra)
- etude house soon jung toner
- on my wet face acid hyaluronic from Vichy (might be easier for you to get one from the inkey list or the ordinary depending on your location)
-non irritating moisturizer on a wet face (Bioderma hydrabio gel-cream)
-sunscreen

I do the same routine on the evening(no sunscreen & I wash my face twice tho), but on monday, wednesday, and friday, I replace the mousturizer step by 5 drops of mandelic acid from the ordinary.

You should go on Olenna Beley's IG page, watch het content on you tube too. She gives great advices on treating acne, what product to use and how.
Someone with acne has sensitive skin that should be treated gently.
You can also research AHA (Mandelic acid is one, but it is the less irritating one, but your skin will purge when you start using it)
I see people telling you to try strong AHA(Glycolic or Lactic acid), Retinoids, vitamin C, BHA but be careful because they will all make you purge, and you should avoid using these products everyday.
Regarding hyperpigmentation, mine is still fading, but I learned to be patient and consistent. With you skin, being gentle & consistent is key.
You should really check Olena Beley and her 3 step moisture method.

pinkflower89

Some of you don't read and it shows.
Reaction score
Reactions
34,776 761 292
Alleybux
So I've noticed that my acne decreased significantly once I repaired my moisture barrier. Turns out I was overwahsing my face and using too many products that stripped my skin.

Sticking to products that have moisturizing/hydrating properties really helped me. Here are some of my favorites:

La Rouche Posay Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
Bliss Clear Genius Clarifying Toner + Serum
Caudalie Overnight Recovery Oil
Momonde Rose Water Gel Moisturizer

As for the hyperpigmentation, I haven't found many products that help. That's something you may need to speak to a dermatologist about. Right now I'm looking into getting a peel.

Unakite

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
332 9 1
Alleybux
what has really helped me was taking Murad Skin Clarifying vitamins. It helped my pimples heal faster and look less red and inflamed. also niacinamide is a great ingredient for acne and wrinkles. for scars, I found acids work well and krave great barrier relief serum. i know that may be too much but i would start with the skin clarifying vitamin and a probiotic to balance the gut.

Frenchesca P.

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,500 1,302 1,537
Alleybux
I’d recommend that you treat the acne first then the post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I have seen great results with Pan Oxyl Acne Wash which contains 10 % Benzoyl Peroxide as the main ingredient or the Differin Acne Daily Deep Facial cleanser which contains 5 % BP and is just as effective from my experience but more gentle. After the acne is cleared up, I’d recommend a retinoid such as prescription Retin-A to help gradually fade the post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (Retinoic acid works by speeding up skin cell turnover or skin renewal, and reduces sebum production so it also is acne-fighting as well) Retin-A is also anti-aging as it increases the production of collagen and elastin and stimulates new blood vessels in the skin. I wouldn’t recommend using them at the same time though especially if you have sensitive skin. I’d start off using the BP cleanser in the a.m. and the Retin-A or Tretinoin at night as a spot treatment. Use a gentle foaming cleanser or a hydrating cleanser such as CeraVe, Cetaphil, Derma-e Hyaluronic Acid Cleanser or Dermalogica at night to help with dryness and restoring the skin’s moisture barrier. Also a good moisturizer is a must with these two drying ingredients. Of course use SPF 30 as well in the a.m. routine after applying a moisturizer.

Last edited:

Frenchesca P.

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,500 1,302 1,537
Alleybux
Also, if you have a dermatologist, ask them about prescribing you Aczone to use in conjunction with the BP wash.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,817 830 1,361
Alleybux
Invest in a real LED machine. Not the fake one. It will cost you, but it works

Yakini

✨ read more (bell hooks) ✨
Reaction score
Reactions
80,196 6,009 3,852
Alleybux
LESS IS MORE - Depending on the type of acne you have, an acne cleanser and a moisturizer *[might be] all that you need (sunscreen is optional, but it's highly recommended if you suffer from hyperpigmentation).

The most notable clinically proven acne-fighting ingredients are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. *For me, the star ingredient has proven to be benzoyl peroxide.

Benzoyl peroxide has a holistic approach. It is anti-inflammatory, mildly comedolytic, and reduces the acne-causing bacteria ON your skin. It's great for fighting papules and pustules.

Meanwhile, salicylic acid has stronger comedolytic properties, meaning that it mainly focuses on decreasing and exfoliating the acne-causing buildup IN your pores. It's great for fighting blackheads and whiteheads.

My favorite YouTube dermatologist explains the differences between the two ingredients much better. I've learned everything that I know about skincare from her (Dr. Dray).

My routine has been highly effective for me and costs about ~$30:

1. Morning & Night Cleanser: ZAPZYT (2% Salicylic Acid) at morning | PanOxyl (10% Benzoyl Peroxide) at night - I let these sit on my skin for AT LEAST a minute before washing off
2. Morning & Night Moisturizer: CeraVe PM (*star ingredients: niacinamide helps with oil control and hyperpigmentation & ceramides and hyaluronic acid help with retaining moisture and protecting your skin barrier)
3. Optional: Hyperpigmentation treatment: Ambi Fade Cream (2% Hydroquinone) - fades dark marks from acne, I ONLY dot it on discolored areas, as needed

zapzyt.jpeg panoxyl.jpg cerave.jpg ambi.jpg

What's vital to solving acne is that you TREAT IT DAILY!

Acne is essentially a skin disorder that has no cure, but it can be managed with medications (in my case, the medications are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid ingredients). So, when I'm feeling lazy and I have to remind myself that like any other health disorder or disease, it's essential that I take my medication daily - that reminder is enough to keep me motivated.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience. I used to foolishly spend $1k+ at Sephora - trying to combat my acne with 25 different products while ruining my skin the process. But, I've found that less is more and now, for the first time in my life, I get compliments on my skin! :happy

Best of luck! :heart::heart::heart:

Last edited:

CuteButtocks

Chileeeeee
Reaction score
Reactions
54,507 1,395 381
Alleybux
Just speak to a dermatologist. All these DIY treatments won’t work. Some skin pigmentation Aren’t just surface level and need some intense treatment to get rid of.

ive had hyperpigmentation on both side of my eyes for years now and no product has gotten rid of it. Finally saw a derma last month and I’m doing some intense peel (not chemical) and possibly laser treatment to get rid of it. They recommended some accretin and some other products for me to use for now to prep my skin for the treatments

Last edited:

canadiangirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,706 1,364 1,174
Alleybux
I'll be honest most of these products are scams! I spent years spending $ on vitamin C, expensive exfoliaters and masks. Heres what worked for my horrible cystic acne and hyperpigeentation (mine was from acne scars tho not in general).

- DIFFERIN GEL pls run and get this, also start small. 2-3x a week and build up. Its a retinoid (adapalene 0.1%) ....USE A RETINAL/RETINOID!!!! If you can get tretionin even better.
- The ordinary glycolic toner (espec helped my bacne as well and cheap so you can use a ton and in the mornings, night was retinol). Another toner I love its the REN toner from sephora that is also a clean brand.
- Sunscreen (supergoop pricey but works best with makeup, when u workout doesnt sting your eyes!)

Thats literally it. Vitamin C is a fµck!ng scam lol mustve tried 6 different ones and I don't trust anyone who says it worked for them they prob had perfect skin already :LOL: one thing I did like was masking once or twice a week the juice beauty extra strength peel was STRONG and I feel made a big difference in lightening acne scars. Originals clay mask too.

Good luck and KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Christinazz1990

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
393,630 10,738 3,761
Alleybux
I was having this issue so I went to Sephora and showed this guy a picture of my skin and he showed me some great products that were actually affordable. I purchased The Ordinary Niacinamide every night before bed and it really helped clear up dark spots a lot. I wash my face with a normal cleanser and exfoliate every other day, I apply niacinamide and let that dry, I then apply this argan oil from Josie Maran that I’ve had for months then apply a little more of the niacinamide on top of that because I need these spots to go away overnight!!!

drink water, less is more, wear sunscreen!!!!!! and you need a routine that’s all.

Amourmoi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,283 3,484 755
Alleybux
Sulphur soap and HQ 2% cream. Honestly, that's what worked for me. It made my skin smooth, even, and faded away acne scars. The acne itself dried up and stopped in literally less that two months. I'll always recommend Sulphur soap for acne. If you do use it, just use the sulphur soap with cold water alone for the first week. Vitamin C and all those serums and peels were a waste of time for me.

Spoilt

Still Boujee Babe
Reaction score
Reactions
84,992 1,972 330
Alleybux
It is scientifically proven that niacinamide helps with acne.

Also, 99% of dermatologists will prescribe retinol for acne. Research says this is highly effective.

I recommend good none stripping cleansers, a toner (maybe with AHAs), retinol and a niacinamide moisturizer.

Also, consistent sunscreen is a must. If it's both UVA/UVB it can last up to 6hrs + plus makeup should work all day. If not you need to reapply even on cloudy days or in your car.