Quantcast

Any simple routines or skincare products to treat acne and hyperpigmentation? Tired of all these 20 step routines

Ilykeggs

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,667 3,273 684
Alleybux
Does tretinoin replace retinol? Can you use them both? I've never heard of it.
Tretinoin is vitamin A. It is the purest form so it can be harsh when not used properly. You can get it in different percentages starting at 0.1%. It is usually prescribed by a derm.

Retinol is a conversion of tretinoin. It is less aggressive and easier to use because it has been mixed with emollients and moisturizing factors. You can easily find products in the drug store that contains it.

There are other conversions but Trent is superior to them all because you are getting the purest form. If you have really sensitive skin then start with the lowest percentage and layer it over your moisturizer.

You don't need both. Just one or the other.

moonologie

Fly Me to the Moon
Reaction score
Reactions
15,243 1,128 65
Alleybux
PAULA'S CHOICE!!!!!!

For Acne and Breakouts the 2% BHA Exfoliant and the BHA 9% treatment has been the most effective acne treatment for me in years.
Thumbs up for this post! The three products I swear by:

Paula's Choice 2% BHA
Tretinoin 0.5%
Cosrx Snail Mucin Power Essence

Just add a simple cleanser, moisturizer, sunscreen and don't use BHA and tretinoin within the same day.

DZbornak

I’m not patronizing you, I’m a-mocking you
Reaction score
Reactions
152,573 5,366 1,568
Alleybux
Ive been debatng to try Differin! whats the "purge" mean lol you making me nervous. Ive never addressed my hyperpigmentation but need to and am trying to be more invested in my skin care than makeup.
If you buffer it you can avoid ANY side effects. I got zero side effects from Tretinoin (stronger than Differin) and my skin is hypersensitive. It’s basically a slow introduction of your skin to the retinoid. It takes a while but you can avoid the uglies and purging. The way I did it was:

Week One- M/W/F : put 1/2 pea size tret. on, leave on for 15 minutes, WASH OFF, moisturize

Week Two- M/W/F: put tret. on, leave on for 30 minutes, wash off, moisturize

Week Three- M/W/F: put tret. on leave on for 1 hour, wash off, moisturize

Week 4-5- M/W/F: put tret on, 1/2 pea size, leave on , moisturize

Week 6-7 M/W/F: put full pea sized dose, leave on, moisturize

Then you can move up to every day.

I know it sounds annoying but I had zero side effects. No flaking, no purging, no dryness, no anything. And studies show that washing it off can be just as effective as keeping it on. I did a ton of research before I used it because I wanted to avoid the retinoid uglies and I did, 100%. It was worth it.

sunLady3

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
429 22
Alleybux
I went to the pharmacy yesterday and picked up some differin until the other products get delivered to me. Tried it and some of my pimples seemed to have already gone down in size!

Reaction score
Reactions
695 172 2
Alleybux
Look it’s going to depend on your skin type, one size never fits all when it’s skincare.

So recommendations in this thread may not work may be worth seeing a derm or aesthetician!
You definitely don’t need 20 steps.

Chemical Peels are a good way to kickstart treating acne and hyperpigmentation. If you can afford it!
They’ll produce faster results than at home OTC products. Best method is combing them with home treatments!

However firstly you want to get to the cause of your acne and get it under control.
How bad is your acne? Do you have it under control somewhat? Otherwise you’re just gonna be fighting an uphill batter, focus on acne then hyperpigmentation, as less acne the less likely you’ll have hyperpigmentation.

At home acne and hyperpigmentation example:

Gentle Cleanser

Exfoliant - Mandelic acid serum or toner is good for acne prone skin and hyperpigmentation.
Gentle build up 3-4x some may tolerate daily but 3-4x should be sufficient.

Tyrosinase Inhibitor - Faded is a good all around product if you’re based in the US! Includes lots of ingredients that target hyperpigmentation. If not look out of products with Alpha Arbutin, Kojic Acid etc.

Moisturiser - Depends on skin type you may need a heavy or light one...
Sunscreen - very important for daily usage! Asian sunscreen are good or European ones, US ones aren’t so great.

Bonus hydrating serums, keep your skin supple and keeps skin Barrier healthy. Damaged skin barriers make fighting acne and hyperpigmentation harder and can make it worse.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,601 49 68
Alleybux
B/c of this thread, I was able to reformulate my skin routine and forgo some uness. products, thanks guys! I got mine down to 5 steps. I use acids on a regular basis + Vit C so I don't bother w/ the Retin-A.

GoldenKitty

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,087 88 21
Alleybux
I suffered from bad acne and hyperpigmentation for many years. My mom used to say I looked like a spotted leopard.☹️ Only thing that cleared my skin up was professional chemical peels bi-weekly for 3 months and Retin-a micro.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,862 3,302 3,198
Alleybux
Am I the only one overwhelmed with the amount of products/ ingredients to choose from to treat acne and hyperpigmentation? I am tired of trying like four different acids/peels- forgetting which one would interact with the other.. trying to find the right toners ....am/pm moisturizers and serums... I just want a simple routine or products that truly work
find out if your acne is hormonal or not. (or even fungal. yeah, fungal acne exists.) go to a dermatologist if you haven't already and they can put you on the right track. if you have hormonal acne, then the only way you're going to be able to remedy that is by taking pills- either spironolactone, or birth control pills, or accutane/isotretinoin. you've exhausted all topical aids and your acne is NOT hormonal, then i am willing to bet that diet and water intake is your issue. staying away from sugar is HUGE in achieving clear skin. if you abstain from sugar almost completely and flood your body with water, then i promise that you should see clear, amazing skin. and again, that's only if your acne is not hormonal or fungal.

SageDew

Lighten up, it's just LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
9,987 141 23
Alleybux
I'm not sure if you should rely on micellar water alone to clean your skin. I remember watching a dermatologist (think it was Dr. Dray) who said that the micelles get left over and leaves your skin feeling greasy after a while. Their cleansing ability is also quite mild and don't remove all dirt. It's good as a first step though, and should follow up with a gentle cleanser.

I was wondering about micellar water too. I keep seeing ads about it and I just can't wrap my head around it yet. I just feel like my face ain't really clean unless I put something sudsy on it that I can wash away. It gives me "using a baby wipe to clean your kewtch instead of a washcloth, soap, and water" vibes.

Get a hydra facial. They have boosters and added lights red/blue for specific problems.

try an esthetician.
I've been wanting to get a hydro facial! I would've got one the last time I got a facial but it cost a few extra shiny coins that I did not have at the time. But this post was just a reminder that I need to get back to the spa to let someone hook me up!

WMorgan_23

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,280 4,940 7,170
Alleybux
Vanicream face wash. Hyaluronic acid, any moisturizer from cetaphil, vanicream, Cerave, or any brand without frangrance/hypoallergenic/irritants. & some retinol! Ta-da!

krystal_muzik

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,537 1,240 732
Alleybux
In the morning, I wash with Ponds oil control face wash, I use Bolero banana eye cream and use my Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Face Sunscreen.

In the evening, I wash with the same face wash, I use the same eye cream, I use Dermasil Oil Free Moisturizer followed by .025 retin A.

It is easy and it works for me.

I got the Ponds from Dollar Tree. I think it was discontinued by the manufacturer so it ended up at the Dollar Tree. Bolero eye cream is also at Dollar Tree. Neutrogena is at all major stores but I got mine at CVS. I am searching for a new face sunscreen as I don't like the smell of this. It smells like the old allergy nasal spray I took as a kid so it brings back bad memories. Dermasil moisturizer for the face is at Dollar Tree.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,652 503 284
Alleybux
I suffered from bad acne and hyperpigmentation for many years. My mom used to say I looked like a spotted leopard.☹️ Only thing that cleared my skin up was professional chemical peels bi-weekly for 3 months and Retin-a micro.
Your mom is mean

Reaction score
Reactions
2,601 49 68
Alleybux
Does anyone know of any good sunscreens that won't aggravate acne prone skin & also won't leave a white cast?

I am currently trying out sunscreens from Etsy. No cast, mineral based, no chemicals, non-comedogenic, reef-friendly, water resistant. Some even come unscented if you’re super sensitive. Some even come tinted. I like the balm based ones. Mainstream ones = too many chemicals + pricey.

Last edited:

Lushlife123

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,215 1,491 71
Alleybux
I get my sunscreens from Etsy. No cast, mineral based, no chemicals, non-cosmogenic, reef-friendly, water resistant. Some even come unscented if you’re super sensitive. Some even come tinted. I like the balm based ones. I absolutely hate mainstream sunscreens they are way too expensive, way too many chemicals = little pink breakouts!!
Sounds interestin, would you be able to post a link?

Remy Newport

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
298,633 6,108 4,257
Alleybux
Go to a derm and get the real stuff with the higher percentages that give you quicker results as opposed to otc weak solutions that take forever.

DeePet

ADOS Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
12,851 279 160
Alleybux
Honestly daily application of sunscreen can alleviate a lot of skin problems. It helps with hyperpigmentation, acne and hydration. I use Neutrogena sun water gel from Japan and wash my face in the morning and night. That’s it.

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,980 755 93
Alleybux
Be careful getting sunscreens from etsy and stuff like that y'all. Make sure they meet regulation guidelines for SPF levels. This is why the Korean sunscreen thing happened because they weren't regulating the testing for SPF levels so they were just slapping stuff on labels.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,601 49 68
Alleybux
Sounds interestin, would you be able to post a link?

If you type "sunscreen" in the search bar there are soo many brands to choose from but here is 1 I actually tried: Sunscreen

This particular one has been TESTED* for SPF levels, just read the description. Simple.

Good luck!

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,980 755 93
Alleybux
If you type "sunscreen" in the search bar there are soo many brands to choose from but here is 1 I actually tried: Sunscreen

This particular one has been TESTED* for SPF levels, just read the description. Simple.

Good luck!

Oh that's really great it makes note of the regulation standards as I said which is completely correct because sunscreen has to meet OTC drug standards as regulated by the FDA to whom they have to apply for approval.

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
695 172 2
Alleybux
I dont know why people are Suncreen buying from Etsy theres 0 reason to do so.
When drug stores and all these other reputable online outlets exist

Fieryearth

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,212 941 609
Alleybux
Washing your face with a product that has benzoyl peroxide in it does the trick. It gets rid of/prevents acne which will in turn prevent dark spots. Also getting a chemical peel here and there for maintenance works for dark spot removal as well.

Always use a zinc based sunscreen (not chemical) and moisturize.

Caramel Delite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,410 3,620 1,452
Alleybux
You have to change your diet. You have to heal your skin from the inside out. No sugar, no carbs, and no dairy will have your skin looking right. Also, drinking warm lemon water every morning will have your skin glowing.

Reaction score
Reactions
695 172 2
Alleybux
Because they have chemicals??? Why is that so hard to understand?
Everything has “chemicals”.
So if that’s your reasoning then yes it is hard to understand.

I mean if you want to get use some diy kitchen made ‘sunscreen’ that “protects” from the sun, then good for you I guess…Wouldn't recommend it.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,601 49 68
Alleybux
Everything has “chemicals”.
So if that’s your reasoning then yes it is hard to understand.

I mean if you want to get use some diy kitchen made ‘sunscreen’ that “protects” from the sun, then good for you I guess…Wouldn't recommend it.
Girl leave me the hell alone. It was a suggestion I wasn't holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to use it. Some people don't wanna use the mainstream stuff, let them choose freely miss pissy pants! Goodbye.

Reaction score
Reactions
695 172 2
Alleybux
Girl leave me the hell alone. It was a suggestion I wasn't holding a gun to anyone's head forcing them to use it. Some people don't wanna use the mainstream stuff, let them choose freely miss pissy pants! Goodbye.
Who said you were holding a gun?
You came through with a bµllsh!t ass reason a bot chemicals as if “natural” ingredients aren’t chemicals.

Using non verified sunscreen products made by someone in their dingy ass kitchen, is dangerous to even suggest or try and justify.

That sh!t ain’t no sunscreen.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,601 49 68
Alleybux
Who said you were holding a gun?
You came through with a bµllsh!t ass reason a bot chemicals as if “natural” ingredients aren’t chemicals.

Using non verified sunscreen products made by someone in their dingy ass kitchen, is dangerous to even suggest or try and justify.

That sh!t ain’t no sunscreen.
1. a lot of people have complained about breakouts due to the 20+ different ingredients in their sunscreen. I was simply offering alternative OPTIONS for those who have had bad luck! Doesn’t mean you can’t find a mainstream one that works too.. whatever works for you. Everyone is not the same. = the point of this thread.

2. so because the product is sold on Etsy means it was “made in a kitchen.” LOL ok you got it w/ that irresponsible logic. The one item I mentioned has been tested in a lab. Reading is comprehension.

3. do you even know what sunscreen is? The active ingredient for sunscreen is ZINC OXIDE. Well the mineral ones. Which should be the type you’re using anyway.

4. your sassy ass delivery helps absolutely no one.

Last edited:

petty_grey

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
14,773 206 104
Alleybux
Korean and Japanese are truly unmatched when it comes to cosmetic elegance and diversity of filters. I tried and tried with mineral sunscreens, but America is just not there yet.

I'm seeing more and more spicy discussions from derms, estheticians, chemists and skinfluencers on this whole anti-chemical movement, and it's quite interesting. Honestly a lot of it is steeped in scientific illiteracy on the part of the consumer and splashy marketing with a dose of fear mongering on the side of the manufacterers. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing "clean" beauty. It's a sham.

Reaction score
Reactions
695 172 2
Alleybux
Korean and Japanese are truly unmatched when it comes to cosmetic elegance and diversity of filters. I tried and tried with mineral sunscreens, but America is just not there yet.

I'm seeing more and more spicy discussions from derms, estheticians, chemists and skinfluencers on this whole anti-chemical movement, and it's quite interesting. Honestly a lot of it is steeped in scientific illiteracy on the part of the consumer and splashy marketing with a dose of fear mongering on the side of the manufacterers. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing "clean" beauty. It's a sham.
Yup Clean Beauty is the biggest scam and sadly a current trend and buzzword at the moment, sad to see people falling for it.

I use Australian Sunscreen now but Korean Biore UV Watery Essence Sunscreen is my fave asian sunscreen.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,601 49 68
Alleybux
It’s sad to see people breaking out and having allergic reactions to chemical sunscreens but whatever. Continue to poison yourself. That’s your choice @Thoughtful

Reaction score
Reactions
2,601 49 68
Alleybux
I have 0 issues with my sunscreen so I will continue to use what works best for me.

Reaction score
Reactions
695 172 2
Alleybux
It’s sad to see people breaking out and having allergic reactions to chemical sunscreens but whatever. Continue to poison yourself. That’s your choice @Thoughtful
Lmao.
You think people won’t have allergic reactions to your fave DIY “clean beauty” sunscreen?

You’re living in a state of delusional.
“Natural” doesn’t mean people won’t suffer from allergic reactions or breakout from it.

But hey clearly the clean natural beauty movements marking has definitely been successful on you
Enjoy

Harriet_Thugman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,536 1,743 286
Alleybux
My suggestion:
A.M.
Vanicream Gentle Cleanser
Paula's Choice BHA Exfoliant
Good Molecules Niacinamide Serum
FAB Moisturizer and Serum

P.M.
Vanicream Gentle Cleaner or Panoxyl (4% or 10%)
Generic Tazorac
FAB moisturizer

glittergoldz

<3 <3
Reaction score
Reactions
41,135 2,054 2,481
Alleybux
Listen you guys. If you’re breaking out, you’re more than likely VITAMIN A DEFICIENT!!! Start taking DAILY VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENTS of at LEAST 10,000 IU. I started taking 24,000 IU daily and my skin has CLEARED UP! I also take it in conjunction with Zinc, Vitamin E, and Vitamin D3. Not sure why the dermatologists don’t tell us to start taking more vitamin A but this will help tremendously. Google it and look up the science. Retinols, tretinoins, accutane are vitamin A derivatives. Start taking vitamin A! Y’all will not be disappointed.

HorchataMami

Queen b*tch Supreme b*tch
Reaction score
Reactions
3,302 137 60
Alleybux
The acne will have to be treated first, if you consistently keep getting acne the scars will follow. Have you see a dermatologist yet?

As for the hyperpigmentation, I may get groans for suggesting this but whitening products are the best for getting rid of them. I use the hada labo whitening lotion (also called shirojyun toner lotion when you search online) and have noticed significant lightening of dark spots. If you can see a derm, ask for a retinol prescription as well since it will help with both acne & hyperpigmentation (it can be pretty drying, so ease into it).

Other fonts have suggested great products, so I recommend trying the more affordable brands and see what you like/works for your skin. Good luck!

I agree, I always use a cleansing oil at night (kose speedy cleansing oil is very affordable, I currently use the iUNIK calendula cleansing oil) and follow up with a regular face wash (vanicream)
Is this available in USA? It seems as though nothing will fix these dark spots on my body and the pigmentation
I just want to see real results at this point

i bought urban skin rx line so I’m giving it a couple months to notice a difference.... but i hope the lotion can lighten up at least my dark knee caps.
(also curious if the lotion is sensitive skin friendly )