Anybody from Toledo?

NovaSky

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,492 1,655 977
Alleybux
What’s it like to live there?

ETA: y’all laughing, but I’m serious. It’s that bad?! (n)

Last edited:

Secrettech25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,146 1,477 421
Alleybux
DO NOT fµck!ng DO IT!

Girl I just left Toledo! I am from Texas and moved there for school, I made it two years, b!tch I am warning you DO NOT DO IT. It is racist af, if you're black there is nothing there for black people---no seriously, the YT people will hate you and the black people there won't deal with you unless they can identify what HS you went too.

Pretty much the locals won't fµck with you unless you get in good with another local but let's the honest the locals ain't sh!t so you're better off sticking off to students.

I repeat DO NOT DO IT, go to Detroit or Ann Arbor no no no

Last edited:

loveoffolly

queen of the guttersnipes
Reaction score
Reactions
3,197 2
Alleybux
there’s nothing there anymore. it used to have a decent scene for small artists but it’s not like it was a jumpin town when i was there(born and raised) but it’s an utter ghost town. economy tanked. lots of drug deaths. town is very segregated and lots of racist incidents happen(i can attest to the post above, ive called slurs by adults as a kid many times and job discrimination is blatant).. too many negatives to list. only people that could possible enjoy toledo are people with roots there but i don’t recommend moving there at all.

that said, the TMA is my favorite place in the world. i highly recommend it if you’re an art lover!

NovaSky

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,492 1,655 977
Alleybux
Thanks! For context, I have some family in Ohio and am looking to move to a cheaper area to save some money while this whole “working from home” thing is in effect. Never heard anything about it before, but someone mentioned it as an option because of some family member that lived there.

BoujeeNotBad

Whitley Gilbert
Reaction score
Reactions
104,622 2,024 107
Alleybux
Oh HELLLL no! Born and raised there worst city ever smh! You'll be leaving on the first thing smoking as quickly as you arrived smh. And if you have kids Fadda God....I got my daughter out of that city expeditiously she doesn't even remember it. I moved to Columbus literally night and day i would NEVER move back to that hell hole!

Secrettech25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,146 1,477 421
Alleybux
Thanks! For context, I have some family in Ohio and am looking to move to a cheaper area to save some money while this whole “working from home” thing is in effect. Never heard anything about it before, but someone mentioned it as an option because of some family member that lived there.

There are way better and cheap options than Toledo, if you're young and want to have fun I recommend an actual awesome city, I mean Detroit is 45 min away and it gets a terrible rep but I low key love it and would live there any day over Toledo... in fact, I used to escape to Detroit to Toledo... Now if that don't make you pause... I cant help you sis LMAO

Secrettech25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,146 1,477 421
Alleybux
there’s nothing there anymore. it used to have a decent scene for small artists but it’s not like it was a jumpin town when i was there(born and raised) but it’s an utter ghost town. economy tanked. lots of drug deaths. town is very segregated and lots of racist incidents happen(i can attest to the post above, ive called slurs by adults as a kid many times and job discrimination is blatant).. too many negatives to list. only people that could possible enjoy toledo are people with roots there but i don’t recommend moving there at all.

that said, the TMA is my favorite place in the world. i highly recommend it if you’re an art lover!

Literally the only good about Toledo is TMA and the oddly enough the library system, for such a sh!t place the libraries are hella amazing.

Cardi B quiet
Reaction score
Reactions
67,359 2,318 1,410
Alleybux
You will be fine if you already have a job and don’t move to the hood. It’s boring but Detroit is close so you can always go up there for fun.

BoujeeNotBad

Whitley Gilbert
Reaction score
Reactions
104,622 2,024 107
Alleybux
Toledo IS THE HOOD like there are no good parts unless you live in like maumee, holland, sylvania, perrysburg. Again, i was born there and lived there until I was 25 years old, and my family has to come see me cause i refuse to go back unless someone dies. And yes that says a lot if you have to go to detroit to escape lmaoo that's your answer

Last edited:

Secrettech25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,146 1,477 421
Alleybux
Toledo IS THE HOOD like there are no good parts unless you live in like maumee, holland, sylvania, perrysburg. Again, i live there until I was 25 years old, and my family has to come see me cause i refuse to go back unless someone dies. And yes that says a lot if you have to go to detroit to escape lmaoo that's your answer

And let's be clear, Maumee, Holland, Sylvania, and Perrysburg are racist af, like so fµck!ng racist that they will literally stop in stare at you like wtf are you doing here?! it happened to me so many times at the Perrysburg Target I just stopped going.

I never forget the time my brother and I were eating sushi at a restaurant using chopsticks and this old yt man was literally shaking his wife and pointing at us like "wtf black use chopsticks?!" it was so uncomfortable I was so glad to pack up my sh!t and go back to Texas.

BoujeeNotBad

Whitley Gilbert
Reaction score
Reactions
104,622 2,024 107
Alleybux
And let's be clear, Maumee, Holland, Sylvania, and Perrysburg are racist af, like so fµck!ng racist that they will literally stop in stare at you like wtf are you doing here?! it happened to me so many times at the Perrysburg Target I just stopped going.

I never forget the time my brother and I were eating sushi at a restaurant using chopsticks and this old yt man was literally shaking his wife and pointing at us like "wtf black use chopsticks?!" it was so uncomfortable I was so glad to pack up my sh!t and go back to Texas.

Exactly!!! So there's no good place to live there so i wouldn't bother period! And it's dangerous af! Just a few weeks ago there was a purge for like two days they were going around shooting any and everyone in broad daylight too. Smh and it didn't always used to be like that which is the sad part...

Neutral

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,327 356 628
Alleybux
Exactly!!! So there's no good place to live there so i wouldn't bother period! And it's dangerous af! Just a few weeks ago there was a purge for like two days they were going around shooting any and everyone in broad daylight too. Smh and it didn't always used to be like that which is the sad part...

Sorry to hijack the thread but how would you guys rank the big cities in Ohio from best to worst?

Secrettech25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,146 1,477 421
Alleybux
Sorry to hijack the thread but how would you guys rank the big cities in Ohio from best to worst?

I never got to explore Ohio because Toledo was so awful that I refused to try to explore Ohio, I can say that Cleveland was cool but I keep hearing OH natives say Nah to Cleveland, I really enjoyed Columbus and Cinnianti gave me low key racist vibes as well.

All my exploring was done in Michigan. UP Michigan is racist but it's more subtle or maybe it was because of my yt bf I didn't really get a lot of sh!t. idk the midwest is great to explore but not really to live honestly.

BoujeeNotBad

Whitley Gilbert
Reaction score
Reactions
104,622 2,024 107
Alleybux

I live in Columbus def number one #14 largest city in the Us and diverse
#2 Cincinnati
#3 Cleveland
And the rest don't even worry about it smh lol And it's ohio and a red state so i mean it's almost like mi rass what you expect as far as racism? That's why it's important to do your research before you go somewhere

crabbycancer72

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,244 304 25
Alleybux
Ohio cities ranked:

if you must

Columbus only

That’s it

Ohio cities suffer from the “rust belt” effect like many Midwest areas. Although Cincinnati has a lot of corporate jobs, the Karen’s and Chad’s have them on lock and you need connections to break in. Even if you do, the white people are hostile if they cannot stereotype you and push you into some service role. There’s too much racial hostility in Ohio.

mee9mee9

a crinkle on earth
Reaction score
Reactions
109,955 6,123 2,206
Alleybux
Ohio cities ranked:

if you must

Columbus only

That’s it

Ohio cities suffer from the “rust belt” effect like many Midwest areas. Although Cincinnati has a lot of corporate jobs, the Karen’s and Chad’s have them on lock and you need connections to break in. Even if you do, the white people are hostile if they cannot stereotype you and push you into some service role. There’s too much racial hostility in Ohio.
i hear alot of people say that about columbus. cleveland has potential to be a midwest version of atlanta, but its just too much crime. and cincinnati is just so boring. everybody has a permanent scowl on their face. You cant tell Cincy people they aint on New York level. They swear their city is so bomb but it hasnt been since the 70s.

lvysl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,103 904 204
Alleybux
Thanks everyone. I decided to pass on my family member’s offer.
Smart decision! Does your family live in Toledo? I’m surprised they didn’t warn you about the city. It’s a dump! Columbus is the only Ohio city that’s even worth a visit!

NovaSky

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,492 1,655 977
Alleybux
Smart decision! Does your family live in Toledo? I’m surprised they didn’t warn you about the city. It’s a dump! Columbus is the only Ohio city that’s even worth a visit!

I have been looking to leave the East Coast, but would want to stay with family before moving out on my own in a new place I’ve never lived in before (that way I could get a feel for it). They were the only person that had space to take me in. It was always meant to be temporary, so they didn’t go too much into detail beyond “it’s cheap and easy to save quickly.” I also don’t know them that well since they are a distant family member and older. I think their view of the city is pretty skewed, and I wanted a younger perspective.

I’m also not interested in moving back with my parents because they live in a really small town now and I know I don’t like it there.

libramercury

27 ****
Reaction score
Reactions
4,379 141 61
Alleybux
BIHH my mom's family is there and I spent a large part of my life up there. There is absolutely NOTHING going on lmao. It's dilapidated, it's nasty, it's like a fake ass Detroit. Plz don't do it.

40 Acres and a MULE

Madonna, JT, Elvis benefited from white privilege!
Reaction score
Reactions
157,109 9,093 2,094
Alleybux
Omg hello fellow ex toledians was born and raise there went to CCHS and UT now live in Houston..y’all basically summed it up..it’s not worth it OP trust and believe
The school systems are sh!tty, crime is rampant, hardly any jobs except for promedica where everybody and their mama works at.. Holland is cool my granny lived there before she passed away back in august however they sport confederate flags there and had a lot of trunk supporters you would’ve thought you were in Alabama. Sylvania is nice as an area it’s majority yts and has high ass property taxes same with Ottawa hills which use to be a sundown town. Toledo itself has bad water and infrastructure, it’s boring af hardly anything to do for young folks and clubs there don’t last awhile because the ratchets infiltrate and can never act right.. bottom line don’t do it reconsider read some litera lol or just go to Detroit!
ps:I know this thread a few months old I apologize

UbuTheDog

The Good Pureblood Dog. WOOF!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
37,111 4,939 1,758
Alleybux
What’s it like to live there?

ETA: y’all laughing, but I’m serious. It’s that bad?! (n)

If you're considering living there, why would you do that to yourself?

It's so bad that you'd be better off in Detroit or Cleveland (which are both hellscapes themselves).

BoujeeNotBad

Whitley Gilbert
Reaction score
Reactions
104,622 2,024 107
Alleybux
Im so late sorry! Just now getting notifications from this thread lol
IN MY PERSONAL OPINION(Bolded for a reason)
1.Columbus(Where i currently live)
2.Cincinnati
3.Cleveland
4.Dayton
*The rest Toledo, Youngstown, Akron is basically The Wire; Don’t even bother lol. Hope that this helps!

BoujeeNotBad

Whitley Gilbert
Reaction score
Reactions
104,622 2,024 107
Alleybux

It's so bad that you'd be better off in Detroit or Cleveland (which are both hellscapes themselves).
Yoooo Cleveland is sooo rough! Professional sports save them and they have the lake, but dassit.

BoujeeNotBad

Whitley Gilbert
Reaction score
Reactions
104,622 2,024 107
Alleybux
Omg hello fellow ex toledians was born and raise there went to CCHS and UT now live in Houston..y’all basically summed it up..it’s not worth it OP trust and believe
The school systems are sh!tty, crime is rampant, hardly any jobs except for promedica where everybody and their mama works at.. Holland is cool my granny lived there before she passed away back in august however they sport confederate flags there and had a lot of trunk supporters you would’ve thought you were in Alabama. Sylvania is nice as an area it’s majority yts and has high ass property taxes same with Ottawa hills which use to be a sundown town. Toledo itself has bad water and infrastructure, it’s boring af hardly anything to do for young folks and clubs there don’t last awhile because the ratchets infiltrate and can never act right.. bottom line don’t do it reconsider read some litera lol or just go to Detroit!
Heyyyyy! UT alum here as well, and I attended Libbey(telling my age) lol! This entire post is a FACT! Emphasis on the jobs you literally have 3 choices..
Promedica
STNA, CNA, MA, LPN then possibly progressing to RN
Factory(Chrysler, Jeep, Dana etc.)
The office types of jobs literally no black work in them, and if you do see them in any of those buildings, they are someone‘a secretary or EA. So glad to have left that hell hole years ago, or I would’ve been stuck in one of those jobs myself. It’s so funny because when I do go back(for a funeral or wedding dassit lol), people always ask “Oh are you a nurse or work in a hospital” because I look like i have a lil something, and that’s the norm for them. When I tell them that I’ve been working at Fortune 500 and global companies for the last 6 years, and have a STEM career with letters behind my name, their entire attitude changes; almost dumbfounded. Thats another thing, it’s such a hat city and if people see you doing better, you’re automatically a target and their enemy. There Is NO nightlife there that is safe(they will shoot everywhere), no good shopping(one mall with no luxury stores) No good restaurants, festivals(they ALL get shot up). People’s excitement is going to Detroit every weekend, and doing said things above smh. Oh and don’t try to date anyone or be prepared to fight their BM and family, because everyone is connected in that small city. Thank God that I escaped when I did, and my daughter has zero memories about that hell hole!

40 Acres and a MULE

Reaction score
Reactions
157,109 9,093 2,094
Alleybux
Heyyyyy! UT alum here as well, and I attended Libbey(telling my age) lol! This entire post is a FACT! Emphasis on the jobs you literally have 3 choices..
Promedica
STNA, CNA, MA, LPN then possibly progressing to RN
Factory(Chrysler, Jeep, Dana etc.)
The office types of jobs literally no black work in them, and if you do see them in any of those buildings, they are someone‘a secretary or EA. So glad to have left that hell hole years ago, or I would’ve been stuck in one of those jobs myself. It’s so funny because when I do go back(for a funeral or wedding dassit lol), people always ask “Oh are you a nurse or work in a hospital” because I look like i have a lil something, and that’s the norm for them. When I tell them that I’ve been working at Fortune 500 and global companies for the last 6 years, and have a STEM career with letters behind my name, their entire attitude changes; almost dumbfounded. Thats another thing, it’s such a hat city and if people see you doing better, you’re automatically a target and their enemy. There Is NO nightlife there that is safe(they will shoot everywhere), no good shopping(one mall with no luxury stores) No good restaurants, festivals(they ALL get shot up). People’s excitement is going to Detroit every weekend, and doing said things above smh. Oh and don’t try to date anyone or be prepared to fight their BM and family, because everyone is connected in that small city. Thank God that I escaped when I did, and my daughter has zero memories about that hell hole!
Lol aye I remember the libbey and Scott basketball games use to be lit I use to always go as a kid because almost everyone in my family went to Scott lol and yes to all this you really went in depth and spoke facts the crab in a barrel mentality is real there it’s so sad. So op and anyone else don’t do it! Go to Columbus or Cincinnati!

40 Acres and a MULE

Reaction score
Reactions
157,109 9,093 2,094
Alleybux

I wouldn’t even live in Cleveland lol but that’s just me out of those options if I really had to choose Detroit>Cleveland but again that’s just me shrugs

UbuTheDog

The Good Pureblood Dog. WOOF!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
37,111 4,939 1,758
Alleybux
I wouldn’t even live in Cleveland lol but that’s just me out of those options if I really had to choose Detroit>Cleveland but again that’s just me shrugs

I mean, I agree.

But when it comes to Detroit vs. Cleveland, you're essentially choosing between Constipation or Diarrhea.

NovaSky

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,492 1,655 977
Alleybux

I decided to get a second job instead lol. Y’all convinced me not to go through with it.

mee9mee9

a crinkle on earth
Reaction score
Reactions
109,955 6,123 2,206
Alleybux
Columbus( the only city worth talking about
Cleveland( dangerous as hell but good food, decent job opportunities and in proximity to a lot of major cities)
Cincinnati( boring as hell, people are weird and arrogant, decent job opportunities to eventually move somewhere else)
Toledo/Akron/Dayton( backwards folks, very little job opportunities, crime high, it’s where the all the riff raff from cincy and Cleveland move to when they can afford the big city)
....that’s it

brandiBOW

B.O.W
Reaction score
Reactions
32,908 1,242 351
Alleybux
I just saw this lol! We went to the same high school! I only went for a little while and transferred to another school (my childhood was a lil cray) where did you go after you graduated from college? Forgive my asking I just want to relocate!

40 Acres and a MULE

Reaction score
Reactions
157,109 9,093 2,094
Alleybux
I just saw this lol! We went to the same high school! I only went for a little while and transferred to another school (my childhood was a lil cray) where did you go after you graduated from college? Forgive my asking I just want to relocate!
Hey sis, and currently here in Houston, thankfully I was able to secure a job and have a support system down here(family)..I told myself I’ll give this place 3-4 yrs if I like it I’ll stay if not ill probably check out florida.
Never going back to Toledo :arrogant

AccINACTIVE

INACTIVE account- 3/14/2024 (delete me pls)
Reaction score
Reactions
24,840 718 259
Alleybux
DO NOT fµck!ng DO IT!

Girl I just left Toledo! I am from Texas and moved there for school, I made it two years, b!tch I am warning you DO NOT DO IT. It is racist af, if you're black there is nothing there for black people---no seriously, the YT people will hate you and the black people there won't deal with you unless they can identify what HS you went too.

Pretty much the locals won't fµck with you unless you get in good with another local but let's the honest the locals ain't sh!t so you're better off sticking off to students.

I repeat DO NOT DO IT, go to Detroit or Ann Arbor no no no
I agree, I'm here now for school. It's true the locals will talk to you, but it won't go past that. My only friends are students.

I'm pretty friendly and go out a lot regardless. I wouldn't say everyone is racist because I have had conversations with all different types of people (even the ones I initially thought would be racist). There isn't a space for Black professionals or young adults in general. Great place to raise a family though, especially if you have a decent career. The cost of living is very low and you can travel to other cities. I plan to gtfoh once I graduate lol

AccINACTIVE

INACTIVE account- 3/14/2024 (delete me pls)
Reaction score
Reactions
24,840 718 259
Alleybux

These are the first 2 things I noticed when I moved here for school. The area where I live is pretty nice, but I can count on one hand how many Black people live here. It's sad!

Pros: The Art Museum, Metroparks, If you work in healthcare (i.e. doctor, nurse, health care business, pharmacy etc.), the zoo, the taco restaurants (there are so many and so good), low cost of living and I like the farms.

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom