Quantcast

Anybody here start working at the age of 14?

Anaxo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,147 124 6
Alleybux
Sorry if this was suggested already, but does your city/state have a summer youth program? Those are not only easier for her to get hired, but might be safer overall since she'll be working in groups with kids her own age being supervised by adults.

Dani86

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,412 51 13
Alleybux
I started working at 14 as well. Summer Youth employment through my city. When the season ended, I was fortunate to attend a high school that offered internships. The internships offered stipends, so I was earning a check Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. The most beautiful thing about it: I got to keep all of my money! I was able to buy Christmas presents for friends and family. I could buy my own lunch, clothing, and stupid stuff. The money my parents would given me as a allowance, I would then save. I felt super adult.
There was no rent I had to pay. What were taxes? I had not a care in the world....

Then I grew up.

kandieheart007

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,296 481 46
Alleybux
Me! I got a job as a cashier at a grocery store when I was 14. This was back in the late 90's, though. I'm not completely sure it was legal back then, and I for sure don't think it's legal now. I agree with the others that recommended a summer youth program. My city offered that, and participants worked all over the place, like the city pool, parks, child cares, youth sports, and some of the city offices answering phones and such.

MoneyOverLove

The Marathon Continues..
Reaction score
Reactions
537,899 10,734 5,860
Alleybux
It was hard finding someone to hire me too when I was 14. I got a job at Taco Bell for about 2 months but that was only because my brothers friend girlfriend was the hiring manager and I think she lied about my age saying I was 15.

tout et rien

All and Nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
71,763 1,511 698
Alleybux
OMG, I had forgot I even made this damn thread until my notifications started to blow up.

To those who have made a lot of assumptions about me forcing my child to work. My daughter lives in the lap of luxury and is used to things I never had access to at her age. I make $150k a year and between me and her dad, she has no need to work in or out of the house. She has just been accepted into three magnet programs because she is a top student, so please don't worry about her studies because she's got that. She WANTS to get a job and has been talking about it since she was 12. She doesn't want to go to summer camp, she is all about making money for her youtube merch purchases. She still has birthday money from three years ago that she refuses to spend. If she lends me $40 to pay our lawn guy because I have no cash, she will hound me until I get it back from the ATM. That's how serious she is about money. I don't know where she got that from, to be honest.

Some of you are projecting because you were helping your parents pay the rent and buy groceries--and that's your business-- but that ain't the case here. If she doesn't find anything, life will go on. Worst case scenario when she turns 16, I will pay her to do some work around my office. I'm trying however to let her get a taste of the real world of working if I can. Jeezus. Let me go back to reading about DMX before I quirk the fµck out.
Yeah but not even one thank you for all the fonts who bothered to come up with good suggestions for you? 170 posts later you come back into the thread and complain that people made reasonable guesses about what you wanted and why. There is a lot of good information in this thread, it is just plain decent to acknowledge it.

Lexonfiyah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,826 447 181
Alleybux
Is this what is going on out here because I thought it was more of the latter. Interesting
At first , I remember my parents was shocked when I asked out of the blue at around this age but then was like ok drove me down to places I wanted to fill out applications at.
Yeh, I think so. Most teenagers want freedom anyways. Some, even before they’re teenagers, want it. When they start making their own money, the more freedom they get. And the less control a parent could have or feels comfortable about having. Just like when parents go to other parents and adults for advice. When they’re children are more making their own money or showing people they could be responsible. That’s when people think kids should get more freedom. It’s a lot harder for a parent to say, “They have their own money and work a job, I don’t think they should spend it on a weekend out of town. Even though, they’ll be adults there.” It’s not like their footing the bill. Some parents just wanna have control over everything. And that includes money that their children make legally. Because then they have less of a say, and because they wanna feel good about themselves for something. My mom is the exact same way. I kept trying to get a job in high school but could not get one and I hated it because I felt like a beggar. And also, my mom had to have control over everything and used that as collateral against me. Growing up, whenever my mom needed money, I gave it to her. It could have been money as a reward for something at school, birthdays, etc. But I’ve been knowing for years that she was stingy and cheap and plays favorites.

Nouraj

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
27,220 888 1,533
Alleybux
I started at 15, I think you need connections to work at 14 ... please make sure it’s a safe working environment for your child.

13thletter

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
61,050 2,983 438
Alleybux
Yes I was 14 going on 15zx it was a local pizza shop in my neighborhood !
I applied the summer before and completely forgot about it. A lot of my friends had hard times getting jobs til they were 16z

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,728 2,681 178
Alleybux
I worked at a dry cleaners at 14. It was a pretty good experience in maturing/professionalism for that age (for me). I did have to get a work permit first though.

Last edited: