Anyone an owner/operator at Fed Ex

Southernchic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
317,114 10,630 3,122
Alleybux
I did not realize that was a thing. I was in Target and overheard a lady on her cell phone saying that she does it. She owns a box truck and has two employees right now..no cdl required as it’s a small box truck. She gets to use the fed ex name and take up their routes.

msfitchick

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,325 4 3
Alleybux
We’re not owner operators but we interviewed for a linehaul route. Their starting rate is really low and wasn’t worth it for us. It’s quite an investment to start as there are a few requirements you need to meet.

A lot of people sell their routes (linehaul and p&d) online. I think they generally go about 2-3x of annual gross but I may be wrong on that.

yummyness

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,157 37 8
Alleybux
I've worked as an analyst for a shipping company that mostly used o/o's
Keep in mind you have to pay for your own insurance, vehicle repairs and maintenance etc... Apart from national holidays you do need to find someone to cover the route when you don't have a driver and generally it's a full day of driving from early morning till the evening

We optimized our routes fully for the companies benefit so if it was getting too pricey for a salaried employee that's when we convert the route to an o/o position

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,156 7,427 1,115
Alleybux
I did not realize that was a thing. I was in Target and overheard a lady on her cell phone saying that she does it. She owns a box truck and has two employees right now..no cdl required as it’s a small box truck. She gets to use the fed ex name and take up their routes.
Yes they do , I found out about it 2 weeks ago when I was looking for some truck driving info for another LSA post . You also can do this for Amazon. That is correct you dont need no cdl license and most of the trucks are automatic shift driving.

Those post how much they going to pay for the load on their computer systems and folks individually logon to their systems to check to see if they want to take the load or not.

It seems like this only works if if you are a big city hub as there are more loads coming and going out that is needed. You supply your own truck and own insurance .

One dude was renting a truck from peneske getting weekly discount rates then doing loads with them. When you do this you are not responsible for truck repairs or anything because its similar to like when you do rental cars type setup but with a business corporate acct .

One thing I dont like tho is sometimes they make you load your own truck they do not have loaders to assist on loading the truck.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,156 7,427 1,115
Alleybux
We’re not owner operators but we interviewed for a linehaul route. Their starting rate is really low and wasn’t worth it for us. It’s quite an investment to start as there are a few requirements you need to meet.

A lot of people sell their routes (linehaul and p&d) online. I think they generally go about 2-3x of annual gross but I may be wrong on that.

Why was it not profitable for you ? Are you in a big city or small one?

yourstruly1

Ketanji is GOALS!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
226,780 6,745 3,209
Alleybux
Interesting want to learn more

how much are these owner/operators clearing in profit a year?

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,156 7,427 1,115
Alleybux
Interesting want to learn more

how much are these owner/operators clearing in profit a year?

I think it depends on how many loads you run per week and what the pay of the load is that you pickup.
You will need to be good at calculating costs and making sure your overall costs (gas, insurance , food , travel distance, maintenance if you are owner vs renting , if you hire employees extra expense) do not out way your profits.

One person did a break down using a rental. Explained that the rental fees were paid for in the first 3 truck runs( which was made in 1-2 days ) and then the rest of the loads ran afterwards was pure profit. I am going to take a wild guess to rent a truck weekend it costs anywhere between high 400ish dollars to 600ish per week.

Also factor in if you in a small city/ town then you will not make easy or flowing money like major US cities ( you need to be near cities where those UPS and Amazon hubs are) more than likely . Another thing I got from watching their videos is that local runs are more profitable because you can do multiples in one day vs a long haul load with multiple stops.

msfitchick

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,325 4 3
Alleybux
Why was it not profitable for you ? Are you in a big city or small one?
I'd say we're in a mid-sized city and so are the hubs we interviewed for. FedEx's rate is market-dependent and tiered (dependent on how many miles you drive). We know how much it costs us to run per mile so using that number and the mileage rate FedEx gave it wasn't worth it.

Full disclosure - we don't own a box truck. We own a tractor-trailer and hire a driver. I answered OP's question because it's true that with FedEx you use their name. With a semi, you're pulling their trailers and your tractor bears FedEx's name and authority.

msfitchick

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,325 4 3
Alleybux
what sites?