Quantcast

Anyone else feels as if Gen Z is the copycat generation?

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
I was watching a video last night where the person mentioned that Gen Z isn't original. All of their slang words are AAVE that were made popular on the internet by black people from previous generations, the follow Millennial movements such as BLM, they also tend to be faux woke for the internet and most of what they know about being woke came from previous generations.
Do you all think that generations from GEN z and onward will not have a generation persona due to the internet?

The person mentioned how they grew up with instant info and only run with it if it has a source
Although Millennials were on the internet, our lives didn't start off with placing a phone in our face. We grew up during the changes of technology so we were able to create our own persona and black aave was still sacred within the black community. Even online aave was only spoken amongst black people on websites like LSA, early Facebook Twitter and IG. Now it's a free for all thanks to the expansion of social media

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
No generation has been origonal.
I mean even that prev generations copied some styles from other generations a person can tell which generation a particular item or speak comes from. Like saying "right on" def 70s or jheri curls def 80s

L O L I T A

✩ American Empress ✩
Reaction score
Reactions
234,443 5,949 1,948
Alleybux
One of my supervisors said this as well. They're too PC and whiny. She hates they're entering the work force lol.

For a time it wasn't anything but late genx and millennials in the workforce
Most of what fonts complain about on here pertaining to Gen Z was started by Millennials. PC culture was popularized by Millennials to which Baby Boomers despised as well. Millennials and Gen Z share more similarities than differences b/c generally, most of the negative things listed about Gen Z being whiny and entitled are what Boomers say word for word about Millennials.

Crazy we're getting to a point where things are coming full circle and there is a segment of Millennials getting to that age where they're parroting some of the same rhetoric towards Gen Z that was said about Millennials by older generations after Millennials' coming of age moment in mainstream media.

WinterThyme

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,239 824 1,004
Alleybux
Gen Z has nary an original bone in their body. Their greatest savior is that they are technology savvy but that's all. All they do is copy everything millenials did/do but poorly and en masse. I blame their parents Gen X for this. Gen X fell asleep at the wheel and let the interwebs raise their kids, and this is the result. Hopefully millenials will do better by Gen Alpha.

Stormy_Weather

“You Bit**es Ain’t Humble Enough”
Reaction score
Reactions
478,277 8,519 2,296
Alleybux
AAVE was never “sacred” in the Black community though—many Black people were raised not to use it and outsiders have been using it since forever, oftentimes with Black encouragement. If you’re a millennial you should be old enough to remember “jiggy,” “bling,” “izzle,” “dope,” and “swag” which were all incorporated into general slang despite originating in AAVE

Besides, you don’t know who the people that were using it online in previous generations were in real life—that font Skallawaga that was on here using AAVE was at least Gen X and she was white as the driven snow—which nobody on here found out about until years later. So to say that AAVE was only used by Black people in Black spaces online is simply not true and it definitely predates these Gen Z kids

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
AAVE was never “sacred” in the Black community though—many Black people were raised not to use it and outsiders have been using it since forever, oftentimes with Black encouragement. If you’re a millennial you should be old enough to remember “jiggy,” “bling,” “izzle,” “dope,” and “swag” which were all incorporated into general slang despite originating in AAVE

Besides, you don’t know who the people that were using it online in previous generations were in real life—that font Skallawaga that was on here using AAVE was at least Gen X and she was white as the driven snow—which nobody on here found out about until years later. So to say that AAVE was only used by Black people in Black spaces online is simply not true and it definitely predates these Gen Z kids
Can you think of a time it was used in other countries? No one weren't saying Chile and Bae before the internet some of the AAVE was sacred and only Black people knew what they meant

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
Most of what fonts complain about on here pertaining to Gen Z was started by Millennials. PC culture was popularized by Millennials to which Baby Boomers despised as well. Millennials and Gen Z share more similarities than differences b/c generally, most of the negative things listed about Gen Z being whiny and entitled are what Boomers say word for word about Millennials.

Crazy we're getting to a point where things are coming full circle and there is a segment of Millennials getting to that age where they're parroting some of the same rhetoric towards Gen Z that was said about Millennials by older generations after Millennials' coming of age moment in mainstream media.
GEN Z are literally annoying on the internet. The only accomplishment they have thus far is being ultimate trolls. At least millennials created movement centered around PC that was needed like BLM for instance

3sugarspls

bonnet association affiliate
Reaction score
Reactions
47,887 3,028 1,002
Alleybux
There is some weird obsession with scolding gen z and their internet use like every generation hasn’t had something defining. Gen Z is not all Tik Tok like many think. What’s original is how gen z may use the internet.

‘96, ‘97, ‘98, ,99 gen z’ers also helped to carry the past two election in crazy numbers of young voters. They have also been the ones packing out protests and making things like BLM trend. If I remember corrrctly they’ve used the power of the internet to push these hashtags and spread awareness for a long time, and have spearheaded it. They’re still going to college and graduating, filling the job market and more and also demanding more wages.

So I don’t really understand where originality lacks, they take from and add to. You have gen z’ers who have came up with terms like fleek from being on vine. It’s really a give, take, add and spread thing and I don’t get where the constant scolding and disdain comes for gen z.

RobynsRight

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
65,930 691 638
Alleybux
Lol, at Gen Z being the participation trophy generation. This is how I know y'all just be talking. A simple Google search would tell that would be Millienials.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
Why do millennials love making posts whining about gen z? So I can't use AAVE now even though I'm black? What are you even talking about this Sunday morning?

BetchPIeaze

The Betchiest
Reaction score
Reactions
49,833 3,583 2,726
Alleybux
gen z is washed. The music, the fashions, the flavor... I thought millennials were lazy.. Spsshh.. Millennials are the pioneers of internet culture. That is a fact of human history. Gen z's culture is based on the major paradigm shift that occurred when millennials were children. Gen x. experienced some of this too (specifically younger gen x'ers).

Millennials saw the world quickly, completely, and permanently change in less than a decade. In a matter of months, tech leveled up or could be obsolete--that was our entire youth. And we are still young. Gen z apparently wants to experience y2k for some reason...

it seems like the next major paradigm shift could possibly be space travel. That would be bigger than being the children of the technology age (millennials in the age of aquarius). But who knows when that will happen

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
There is some weird obsession with scolding gen z and their internet use like every generation hasn’t had something defining. Gen Z is not all Tik Tok like many think. What’s original is how gen z may use the internet.

‘96, ‘97, ‘98, ,99 gen z’ers also helped to carry the past two election in crazy numbers of young voters. They have also been the ones packing out protests and making things like BLM trend. If I remember corrrctly they’ve used the power of the internet to push these hashtags and spread awareness for a long time, and have spearheaded it. They’re still going to college and graduating, filling the job market and more and also demanding more wages.

So I don’t really understand where originality lacks, they take from and add to. You have gen z’ers who have came up with terms like fleek from being on vine. It’s really a give, take, add and spread thing and I don’t get where the constant scolding and disdain comes for gen z.
You really want to brag about the election of dt? Lmao
And I'm going to stop you right there with BLM the Millennials started hashtagging and protesting way back in 2013 when most of you all were in middle school. Just shows that you all are some heavy piggy backers and show no shame. That's not your generation sis

CandidCanvas

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,669 2,119 207
Alleybux
From what I've observed, there are pros and cons just like every generation. I think Gen Z is more open-minded (or PC) than previous generations, including mine (millenials). They seem more eager to be inclusive & embrace diversity on all levels (race, xes, religion, body types). I never knew a femboy, pansexual, pagan transboy as a teen. A kid like that would have been treated like a freak in 2009. Now they're the norm or even famous on social media.

Cons: They have too much intimate access to black culture, particularly African American culture. They'll go hard for BLM, but not know a damn thing about the Civil Rights Movement. Zendaya is their representation of a light skin black girl. A little white boy asked my relative if it would be okay for him to say the n-word because he wanted to fit in with his black scout group.

I feel the most for black Gen Z kids that are not growing up around other black people because they are so...different. Like messed up and lost in a way I never saw. I know who they are when they come on here praising white people and shitting on the culture that feeds the white and non-black people they idolize.It's a lot of black praise, but not enough black pride like the past generations.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
gen z is washed. The music, the fashions, the flavor... I thought millennials were lazy.. Spsshh.. Millennials are the pioneers of internet culture. That is a fact of human history. Gen z's culture is based on the major paradigm shift that occurred when millennials were children. Gen x. experienced some of this too (specifically younger gen x'ers).

Millennials saw the world quickly, completely, and permanently change in less than a decade. In a matter of months, tech leveled up or could be obsolete--that was our entire youth. And we are still young. Gen z apparently wants to experience y2k for some reason...

it seems like the next major paradigm shift could possibly be space travel. That would be bigger than being the children of the technology age (millennials in the age of aquarius). But who knows when that will happen
Gen alpha will probably do more than gen Z.

Beverly417

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
215,580 5,002 1,059
Alleybux
I want the younger generations to win but Gen Z just isn’t bringing it. It’s like we entered a cultural void, they don’t have a strong presence like the past generations. Which is why the media is still talking about Millennials instead of Gen Z. They are only known for being emotionally fragile and super sensitive obsessed with sexuality and stripper culture.

3sugarspls

Reaction score
Reactions
47,887 3,028 1,002
Alleybux
You really want to brag about the election of dt? Lmao
And I'm going to stop you right there with BLM the Millennials started hashtagging and protesting way back in 2013 when most of you all were in middle school. Just shows that you all are some heavy piggy backers and show no shame. That's not your generation sis

Yeah the obsession and disdain with another generation is weird once again. It’s not a one generation effort. We are carrying our weight of the world too regardless of what the next generation feels about it. Even during Treyvon Martin, Gen Z was protesting, posting and tweeting for crying out loud.

And what is there to piggyback off? No one is as inventive as they think.

The constant obsession with a generation you aren’t a part of is strange.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
Yeah the obsession and disdain with another generation is weird once again. It’s not a one generation effort. We are carrying our weight of the world too regardless of what the next generation feels about it. Even during Treyvon Martin, Gen Z was protesting, posting and tweeting for crying out loud.

And what is there to piggyback off? No one is as inventive as they think.

The constant obsession with a generation you aren’t a part of is strange.
How when you all were in middle school? Seriously cut it out. The BLM movement started from older and college-age Millenials at that time. You all scream "generation wars" because it's not fun for being called out as being lame.

L O L I T A

✩ American Empress ✩
Reaction score
Reactions
234,443 5,949 1,948
Alleybux
GEN Z are literally annoying on the internet. The only accomplishment they have thus far is being ultimate trolls. At least millennials created movement centered around PC that was needed like BLM for instance
You seem like you have a bone to pick with Gen Z who literally just arrived on the scene and are, by and large, made up of children and barely legal adults. Can they get their proper footing in the world first before the claws come out? It's giving major Boomer teas in some of these posts.

I find it interesting how some Millennials like yourself will be up in arms over older generations generalizing Millennials as a bunch of whiny entitled ingrates who lack accountability and blame everyone for their problems, but then will turn around and do the same to Gen Z. It's just odd to see some people from a group that was dragged mercilessly through the mud try and perpetuate that toxic behavior again with the next upcoming gen. Like???? What is the reason?

Last edited:

3sugarspls

Reaction score
Reactions
47,887 3,028 1,002
Alleybux
How when you all were in middle school? Seriously cut it out. The BLM movement started from older and college-age Millenials at that time. You all scream "generation wars" because it's not fun for being called out as being lame.

Because we (ME personally) were carrying skittles and Arizonas to be a part of the movement. Called out for being lame? This whole thread is about being a millennial so that means you’re probably 30-35+. Grow up and what another generation does or doesn’t probably wouldn’t ruffle your feathers this much. I have plenty of peers who are millennials and this would not be on their list of things to talk about. Grow up, sweetie.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
You seem like you have a bone to pick with Gen Z who literally just arrived on the scene and are, by and large, made up of children and barely legal adults. Can they get their proper footing in the world first before the claws come out? It's giving major Boomer teas in some of these posts.

I find it interesting how some Millennials like yourself will be up in arms over older generations generalizing Millennials as a bunch of whiny entitled ingrates who lack accountability and blame everyone for their problems, but then will turn around do the same to Gen Z. It's just odd to see some people from a group that was dragged mercilessly through the mud try and perpetuate that toxic behavior again with the next upcoming gen. Like???? What is the reason?
Honey Millenials were in their early 20s and already making strides. We whined over things that mattered and were productive. We didn't sit on the internet all day and self hating on Tik tok

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
Because we (ME personally) were carrying skittles and Arizonas to be a part of the movement. Called out for being lame? This whole thread is about being a millennial so that means you’re probably 30-35+. Grow up and what another generation does or doesn’t probably wouldn’t ruffle your feathers this much. I have plenty of peers who are millennials and this would not be on their list of things to talk about. Grow up, sweetie.
Seriously? Go do something productive than telling me to grow up when I am still in my 20s. You all love screaming old age. You grew up on Google and still do not know basic history

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
Can you answer my question? Since I'm in gen z I can't use AAVE even though I'm black? I don't understand the weird distain for Gen Z and we haven't even reached the age of 25 yet. Your expecting us to have all of these groundbreaking inventions and our brains aren't even fully developed and some of us are just now entering the professional workforce.

I guess since the baby boomers blamed millennials for everything a lot of millennials want to take their misplaced anger out on the next generation. lol.

3sugarspls

Reaction score
Reactions
47,887 3,028 1,002
Alleybux
Seriously? Go do something productive than telling me to grow up when I am still in my 20s. You all love screaming old age. You grew up on Google and still do not know basic history

You’re the one who woke up and made a thread about a whole generation. That’s very productive. Bye, auntie

28D6096E-0996-425A-978F-09EA74F5CA76.jpeg

LovingonMe1

Princess
Reaction score
Reactions
122,796 11,648 3,650
Alleybux
Honey Millenials were in their early 20s and already making strides. We whined over things that mattered and were productive. We didn't sit on the internet all day and self hating on Tik tok
Not every young person has social media. Stop making generalizations based on stereotypes. This is why we won't get anywhere because instead of helping other generations, all we do is talk crap about each other and look down on people.

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
You’re the one who woke up and made a thread about a whole generation. That’s very productive. Bye, auntie

View attachment 2557098
And you are the one that constantly use auntie to a 28 year old. So backwards and yet so pressed. Lol. Go make a statement and stop piggy backing

MsBIGChoc

Megan's Hennessey Bottle
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
275,541 33,082 27,391
Alleybux
Can you answer my question? Since I'm in gen z I can't use AAVE even though I'm black? I don't understand the weird distain for Gen Z and we haven't even reached the age of 25 yet. Your expecting us to have all of these groundbreaking inventions and our brains aren't even fully developed and some of us are just now entering the professional workforce.

I guess since the baby boomers blamed millennials for everything a lot of millennials want to take their misplaced anger out on the next generation. lol.
Step your game up. Mark Zuckerburg invented Facebook at 21 and most Millenials already developed their own internet speak in their teens

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,613 2,217 1,629
Alleybux
Step your game up. Mark Zuckerburg invented Facebook at 21 and most Millenials already developed their own internet speak in their teens
You didn't answer my question and I don't care what Zuckerburg did. Capitalism got y'all brainwashed thinking you need to come up with revolutionary content at a young age or else your a failure. Don't be mad at me that more people in my generation would rather relax and not work ourselves to death than be exploited by a system that doesn't care about them.

I'm not about to go back and forth with someone that thinks their superior to me because their 6 years older than me loll. You need to go outside or something. No reason to be this upset over Gen Z.