Votes: 252 79.5%

• Total voters

VersacePrincess

drippin' in 24K Versace
Reaction score
Reactions
142,358 8,567 5,667
Alleybux
Um all the jacksons mixed kids are considered non black on lsa, even the ones who dont have a white parent. If their kids look white they are accused of not being theirs. Mariah is just as white as paris, so thats what im saying about being consistent. Biracial people are biracial, you cant disregard a whole parent.

Paris Jackson is not at all biracial she is purely non black and literally Caucasian. Until she does a 23 and me..even Ancestory DNA test, she is and will always be a white woman who was adopted by a black superstar with a skin disorder. She is debbie and the other doctor's child.

Mariah Carey is more black than Paris Jackson will ever be. If I had to chose who is close to being black based off looks alone between mariah and paris I'd chose Mariah over Paris. Paris entire facial structure is more sculpted and define like a regular white person than Mariah is.

Question

126033QUEST
Reaction score
Reactions
32,303 1,643 882
Alleybux
Her mother is White. Her dad is FULLY Black. Her dad's mom was a Black American woman from Alabama and her dad's father was a Black man from Venezuela.

Mariah is half Black half White.

Right.

According to LSA, a biracial woman is always biracial. On the other hand, a biracial man is allowed to claim Black with no questions asked...which is why this dude was LSA favorite strong Black Kang until he left his Black wife for a White chick. His ass looks Whiter than Mariah, yet most of LSA wanted to claim him as their Woke Black Kang. :disdain

14302358272527.jpg

Thank you! How many times does Mariah have to clarify this? His mother is a Black American from Alabama and is father is a Black man from Venezuela. It's not that hard to understand. People act like they don't know that Venezuela has a huge population of Black people. . .like they don't know that millions of people in Venezuela look like this:

afro-venezuelan-family.png

His father was Black Venezuelan. His mother was a Black woman from Alabama. Her father was fully Black.

Nah. On LSA, biracial folks are only Black if they are male. If you haven't noticed, LSA only loves to police the Blackness of biracial women.

Which is funny because the same people claiming that Mariah is not Black also claim that Obama is...even though he came out of a White vagina as well. Strange, isn't it?

See above.
That's true. Fonts were singing a whole different tune in that Ziggy Marley thread. I'm still waiting for fonts to call his dad white like they do any other biracial female celeb.

SimbaLuver

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
134,018 5,914 5,609
Alleybux
He is was Afro-Venezuelan so WTF is your point even?

Look up where she is from and the origin of caucasian.

Later.

You tried to claim Afro Latinos were not black because of different cultures. Trump's wife isn't from America but she's still white.

Fongenie

Something On My Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
70,452 1,195 622
Alleybux
I'm sorry, what? This has got to be a joke. Mariah sounds a mess these days but between 1990 - 2005 very few people were seeing her, vocally.

Mariah Carey was a top-tier vocalist and was the last star to emerge before http/www - internet revolution. We gon put some RESPECK on her name. Mariah may not be a person’s preferred singer, although she should be b/c she’s dope as hell, but one eliminates themselves from a serious musical discussion regarding vocals if they downplay her talent and skill. I don’t care for any revisionism about Mariah’s voice b/c autotune didn’t exist when she hit the scene and the same people who purchased Mariah’s music purchased music from contemporaries who were great vocalists. Some Black people don’t like that Mariah was so acclaimed, but it’s not like Black people (w/ two Black parents) were booted out; several Black people were allowed to thrive. Mariah Carey going down as one of the best singers America has produced does not harm the legacies of acclaimed singers pre-Mariah, many of whom were Black.

There is a rehearsal of Mariah from SNL in 1990, the year she debuted, and it’s just gorgeous. She performed a song called “Vanishing” from her first album. It was a song she actually wanted as a single b/c it was stripped down and piano-driven. Mariah was the real deal and we responded.

In 2005, Mariah gave a concert on BET’s Blueprint special where she sang three singles from “The Emancipation of Mimi” and “Vision of Love.” I must say that Vision of Love @ 6:50 is one of my favorite performances of the song, despite it coming fifteen years after its release.

1. Sometimes LSA IS REALLY ANNOYING.

2. Everyone past a certain age knows Mariah Carey is white and black. With her voice being black.(fight me -_-)

3. A legend is a legend and that's why most people don't give a damn that she keeps being carried across the stage like a statue and not bussin any dance moves.

4. She grew up in an era where the one black rule applied and "biracial" wasn't a thing.

5. No she cannot be compared to Tinashe in anyway shape or form. Why? Because she is Mariah Carey.

6. People need more courses on African American history and they also need to read more to increase their contextual intelligence.

7. I've never heard anyone refer to Mariah as the best "black" anything.... Its like an understood thing that she might not be "black black", however her voice is a gift and her talent and register unmatched. (Make another thread for Whitney)

8. Mariah is the mixed cousin who identifies as black with good hair. She might have a few identity issues but as far as everybody is concerned she family.

9. She's Mariah Carey.

10. There are only a few peoples opinions i would care about hearing on This matter (but majority of them are dead). Michael, Whitney, Luther, Bernie Mac, Beyonce, Mary j Blige, Dupri, Aretha, Celine.

Great post!

I know Mariah is an easy target these days but what's the point of this thread? She has never really claimed to be "black", she just stated that she doesn't feel white due to the one drop rule. She has always claimed a mixed identity and that's how most people look at her. She is rarely referred to as the best black anything, you're pulling that out your ass.

100% accurate.

In her early interviews, when she was asked about her race, she always said she was mixed. She never lied about that or allowed anyone to assume otherwise. She couldn't control what people thought about her, but she did tell them who she was.

Mariah was born and she exists in this world. People’s projections have nothing to do with her. I wonder do the fonts who call Mariah a white woman realize how silly it makes them look, although they’re doing this to be nasty.

a lot of y'all will still consider other biracials black tho.

People are hypocrites. This is also the same place that derides biracials who say they’re not Black, even calling them self-haters. Unlike Mariah, biracial people who show no connection to Black people or Blackness are frequently reminded they are Black by Black people, almost as a taunt. Some go as far as to hope those people experience something traumatic and humiliating, i.e. their negro wake up call.

Exactly, I'm not even a Stan but now Lsa.hates Mariah and she is antI black..gotta be youngins..they the only generation that disrespect legends ..Mariah may be a drunk, but she is a legend and is half black..she ain't taking whitney spot tho as top selling black women. LSA is the most bitter place on earth

LSA used to be better.

For real lol. She'd get the Halsey, Meghan Markle, Tinashe treatment. If you're biracial and became famous in the new milennium, LSA is a tough crowd. Waiting to pounce on anything just because they're mixed. Some mixed girls are rightfully dragged, others it's debatable.

It's like 80s/90s biracial chicks were embraced a bit more or left to be. You either liked them for their talent or if you didn't you'd go on with your day lol (Salli Richardson, Mya, early days Halle, Tamia, Jasmine Guy, Vanity, Sade).

I was young when Mariah debuted but I don't remember her discussing her background as often as she did when Butterfly album came around. It felt like assumptions and mystery prior to that. Her voice was a winner with everyone so no-one cared? I never thought about 'what she was' until she started harping on about her identity issues. This may sound stupid, but it was like Mariah was 'raceless' for a period lol.

Something like that…

Fongenie

Something On My Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
70,452 1,195 622
Alleybux
Mariah has always set the record straight about being mixed, along with identifying with her Black side more from the beginning. She was unlike folk like Tiger Woods and Vin Diesel who really tried to act like they did not have that Black in them at all, and she is not like Justin Timberlake or Miley Cyrus who used Black culture as a prop, I mean, some of y'all sound like you just heard of Mariah yesterday...lol.

It’s weird how some people in this thread even felt they had to compare Mariah with actual white people in her defense! Of course she’s not like Elvis, Madonna, Justin Timberlake, Fergie, etc… she actually has a Black parent!

I've never heard anyone say this because of Whitney, tbh. Honestly I would put Diana Ross AND Donna Summer as objectively greater black female singers as well.

I also think it is probably inaccurate to call her black. Race has a phenotype and genotype element. And then there is culture which is a whole other things. Real talk, Mariah looks white. And a lot of non-blacks and younger black people think of her as white even today. Genetically, she is mixed and has a right to identify with both cultures.

If someone's genotype and phenotype are both non-black they aren't black.

I understand your perspective. Granted there is no specific biracial look, Mariah has always looked biracial to me. I run across many young people who view her exactly as what she is. Black pride is gauged differently concerning Mariah. Whenever Mariah is grouped in with Black greats, a handful of Black people get in a tizzy. However, when Mariah is the highest ranking or sole non-white person/woman on a list of achievement, Black people celebrate it b/c a person with a strong percentage of African blood running through their veins accomplished something of note.

Given the current disrespect thrown at Mariah from across the board, her supposed white woman looks is not protecting her from the insults of youngins. I don’t think people in general would disrespect a white woman of Mariah’s stature, even if they weren’t fans. As crazy as Madonna is, people aren’t so careless as to trash or even question her legacy. Barbra Streisand gets the utmost respect, does Diana Ross? Sometimes Black people go hard at Black acts, too. For years, Black people people would downplay/misrepresent the impact of Diana Ross to uphold Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston all b/c they were raised and conditioned not to like her.

Yeah okay, sounds like you weren't even born then but here's a little history lesson for you....

Mariah hit the scene around 1990/1991 or so. Do you know what happened in the early 90s??

-Cross Colors fashion
-Nationwide protest about Rodney King (yes across the nation there were protests and this was WITHOUT social media)
-TV shows: A Different World, Cosby Show
-Movies: Malcolm X
-Popular rap groups: Public Enemy (yes, the ones who said "Fight the Power"
-Popular film director: Spike Lee

Yet we were tap dancing during that time?

Let's see what we have NOW in 2017
-Popular rap group: Migos
-Famous black singers who have worn blonde wigs for 20 years and go out of their way to claim "other ancestry"
-Millions of hashtag social justice warriors but only a fraction of them actually go out and do something to change the world

Oh, the 90’s… *reminiscences*

Y'all tripping. Now having a black father doesn't make you black? Can't she identify as black since her father is black? I just asked my husband what ethnicity he is and he said black, should I tell him he's not ? Granted his skin is darker than hers, is she not allowed to be black because she's lighter skinned? What about the Debarges? What about Janet's son?

If I were her, I'd tell y'all to kiss my ass. You can't tell her what to identify as. It's not like she's Rachael claiming black when she is biologically and physically, white as snow.

Black people gotta be consistent with biracials. We can’t call Halle Berry a Black woman then deny Mariah Carey. This mess is rude.

They are ignorant then. If you have majority African ancestry, you are black. Their roots to Africa are much deeper than the black American. Slaves in the Caribbean and South America kept their African traditions. Blacks in America aren't the only blacks in the world. I'm black in America; are you from America?

Do you think West Indian people are black? Cubans and Puerto Rican's can look just like black Americans, that's because they are black.

Afro Canadian is a thing? That is so stupid, they are black. Whether their people came from America after freedom or if they're second-third generation West Indian.

Spot on!

Her mother is White. Her dad is FULLY Black. Her dad's mom was a Black American woman from Alabama and her dad's father was a Black man from Venezuela.

Right.

According to LSA, a biracial woman is always biracial. On the other hand, a biracial man is allowed to claim Black with no questions asked...which is why this dude was LSA favorite strong Black Kang until he left his Black wife for a White chick. His ass looks Whiter than Mariah, yet most of LSA wanted to claim him as their Woke Black Kang. :disdain

Thank you! How many times does Mariah have to clarify this? His mother is a Black American from Alabama and is father is a Black man from Venezuela. It's not that hard to understand. People act like they don't know that Venezuela has a huge population of Black people. . .like they don't know that millions of people in Venezuela look like this:

His father was Black Venezuelan. His mother was a Black woman from Alabama. Her father was fully Black.

Nah. On LSA, biracial folks are only Black if they are male. If you haven't noticed, LSA only loves to police the Blackness of biracial women.

Which is funny because the same people claiming that Mariah is not Black also claim that Obama is...even though he came out of a White vagina as well. Strange, isn't it?

On point! Yes, both of Mariah’s paternal grandparents were Black. Mariah’s father was Black. Mariah Carey is biracial and there are biracial people who look like Mariah Carey. You are correct that LSA is hypocritical and choosy with biracial women as opposed to biracial men.

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,407 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
On point! Yes, both of Mariah’s paternal grandparents were Black. Mariah’s father was Black. Mariah Carey is biracial and there are biracial people who look like Mariah Carey. You are correct that LSA is hypocritical and choosy with biracial women as opposed to biracial men.

It's crazy that people still want to question whether her dad was 100% Black...even after Mariah has told folks what is what a million times...and even after stans pulled up her grandparents' census records to prove this long ago. Her paternal grandfather is listed as straight up Black on all of his census records. Stans also pulled up her grand parents' marriage license which also listed both her grandmother and grandfather as straight up Black. What's really crazy is that people really think a dirt poor Black woman from Alabama dated and married a White Venezuelan dude at the turn of the 1900s in racist ass America where it was illegal in a ridic amount of states for interracial couples to get married...right up into the mid-60.:twitcy The real tea that Mariah already told folks is that really, they don't think her paternal grandfather was Venezuelan, the family believes that her paternal grandfather was a Black Cuban who came to the US and claimed Venezuelan because people hated Black Cubans and Cubans in general at that time. . .and we all know that Cuba has the same percentage of straight up Black folks as the US does.

Her dad was 100% Black and proud of that fact...which is why he got angry at her when Sony and other folks wanted to promote the narrative that she was White or only 1/4 Black. He was not for the bµllsh!t of people trying to exoticize him or claim that he was mixed when he was 100% Black born to two 100% Black parents.

People just want to get it twisted because Mariah's mother has strong genes. The crazy thing is that they stay claiming the Debarges are Black when most of them are just as "White" looking as Mariah...despite the fact that they have a dark skinned mother. And they look like that naturally....Mariah didn't become "White-looking" in folks' eyes until she got a nosejob and lightened and straightened her hair...until then, Mariah was OBVIOUSLY biracial...with a face and nose that looked like Tisha Campbell's. If her hair wasn't curly, she could have passed for the typical light Black chick (see pics below).

Then, when people post pics of her dad, people want to argue that this in not a black man or that her dad was biracial....when he's looking like the average Black American's daddy or uncle...4c hair and all...I mean, this dude ain't even light skinned, he's the same color coco brown color as his grandson (see last pic) :ROFLMAO::

youngmc_sweetmariah_062.jpg

mariah-and-dad4.jpg

db0892784003bfae24271455a28ecaf7--mariah-carey-singer.jpg

Like I said, folks want to let Mariah's blonde dye-job and nose job trick them into believing that most folks thought that Mariah was White when she came out. If you were alive when she came you, you know that Black folks didn't mistake her for anything other than Black or biracial because during the time when she first came out and during the entire Mariah Carey era (and part of the Emotions era), she looked like this:

19-pictures-of-young-mariah-carey-u2

tumblr_static_9d87nffavy0ws840gk04gg0wo_640_v2.jpg

ec28261059197ebdaacbea41fda79626.jpg

The only people who are old enough remember when she came out and who thought the was White from the start are delusional White folks who kept deluding themselves into thinking that she was White despite the fact that she was correcting their asses from jumpstreet and letting them know her dad was Black...people got confused with the Black Venezuelan part because dumbasses didn't know that Venezuela was a former slave colony and has the same percentage of Black folks as the US.

Folks who have followed her career know that Mariah has always claimed either mixed or Black...her preference is to claim Black and she always wanted to be strictly R&B with a splash of hip hop, but Sony and Mottola did not want her to be a Black R&B artist...thus the nosejob they made her get when Emotions came out. Still, during the Emotions era she was still identifiably biracial....thus the lightening and straightening of her hair in the Music Box era. Also, if folks know anything about Mariah, this control over her image and the type of music she could do coupled with trying to make her less identifiably Black/biracial is one of the main beefs Mariah had with Mottola and one of the main reasons why she left his ass after only being married to him for less than 4 years. She finally stopped claiming Black publicly and started claiming biracial in the media when folks KEPT asking her about her heritage despite the fact that she told their asses that she considered herself Black...to shut folks up, I guess she figured just go ahead and claim biracial in the media...but folks in the industry (and her stans) know that in private and in her personal life Mariah ain't claiming nothing but straight up Black.

Last edited:

kiki jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
48,493 1,639 1,477
Alleybux
In her early interviews, when she was asked about her race, she always said she was mixed. She never lied about that or allowed anyone to assume otherwise. She couldn't control what people thought about her, but she did tell them who she was.

She avoided addressing her black ancestry until she was no longer able to.

I'm not surprised that TM was behind it, but Mariah identified as white growing up.
It's crazy that people still want to question whether her dad was 100% Black...even after Mariah has told folks what is what a million times...and even after stans pulled up her grandparents' census records to prove this long ago. Her paternal grandfather is listed as straight up Black on all of his census records. Stans also pulled up her grand parents' marriage license which also listed both her grandmother and grandfather as straight up Black. What's really crazy is that people really think a dirt poor Black woman from Alabama dated and married a White Venezuelan dude at the turn of the 1900s in racist ass America where it was illegal in a ridic amount of states for interracial couples to get married...right up into the mid-60.:twitcy The real tea that Mariah already told folks is that really, they don't think her paternal grandfather was Venezuelan, the family believes that her paternal grandfather was a Black Cuban who came to the US and claimed Venezuelan because people hated Black Cubans and Cubans in general at that time. . .and we all know that Cuba has the same percentage of straight up Black folks as the US does.

Her dad was 100% Black and proud of that fact...which is why he got angry at her when Sony and other folks wanted to promote the narrative that she was White or only 1/4 Black. He was not for the bµllsh!t of people trying to exoticize him or claim that he was mixed when he was 100% Black born to two 100% Black parents.

People just want to get it twisted because Mariah's mother has strong genes. The crazy thing is that they stay claiming the Debarges are Black when most of them are just as "White" looking as Mariah...despite the fact that they have a dark skinned mother. And they look like that naturally....Mariah didn't become "White-looking" in folks' eyes until she got a nosejob and lightened and straightened her hair...until then, Mariah was OBVIOUSLY biracial...with a face and nose that looked like Tisha Campbell's. If her hair wasn't curly, she could have passed for the typical light Black chick (see pics below).

Then, when people post pics of her dad, people want to argue that this in not a black man or that her dad was biracial....when he's looking like the average Black American's daddy or uncle...4c hair and all...I mean, this dude ain't even light skinned, he's the same color coco brown color as his grandson (see last pic) :ROFLMAO::

youngmc_sweetmariah_062.jpg

mariah-and-dad4.jpg

db0892784003bfae24271455a28ecaf7--mariah-carey-singer.jpg

Like I said, folks want to let Mariah's blonde dye-job and nose job trick them into believing that most folks thought that Mariah was White when she came out. If you were alive when she came you, you know that Black folks didn't mistake her for anything other than Black or biracial because during the time when she first came out and during the entire Mariah Carey era (and part of the Emotions era), she looked like this:

19-pictures-of-young-mariah-carey-u2

tumblr_static_9d87nffavy0ws840gk04gg0wo_640_v2.jpg

ec28261059197ebdaacbea41fda79626.jpg

The only people who are old enough remember when she came out and who thought the was White from the start are delusional White folks who kept deluding themselves into thinking that she was White despite the fact that she was correcting their asses from jumpstreet and letting them know her dad was Black...people got confused with the Black Venezuelan part because dumbasses didn't know that Venezuela was a former slave colony and has the same percentage of Black folks as the US.

Folks who have followed her career know that Mariah has always claimed either mixed or Black...her preference is to claim Black and she always wanted to be strictly R&B with a splash of hip hop, but Sony and Mottola did not want her to be a Black R&B artist...thus the nosejob they made her get when Emotions came out. Still, during the Emotions era she was still identifiably biracial....thus the lightening and straightening of her hair in the Music Box era. Also, if folks know anything about Mariah, this control over her image and the type of music she could do coupled with trying to make her less identifiably Black/biracial is one of the main beefs Mariah had with Mottola and one of the main reasons why she left his ass after only being married to him for less than 4 years. She finally stopped claiming Black publicly and started claiming biracial in the media when folks KEPT asking her about her heritage despite the fact that she told their asses that she considered herself Black...to shut folks up, I guess she figured just go ahead and claim biracial in the media...but folks in the industry (and her stans) know that in private and in her personal life Mariah ain't claiming nothing but straight up Black.

She was marketed as white by OMISSION.

We knew she was mixed race but she did NOT promote this out the gate. She gained momentum, then her people allowed her to talk about her background.

Similarly with Prince who benefited from racial ambiguity until his career took off.

Last edited:

LurkinLongtime

Antagonist
Reaction score
Reactions
96,773 6,770 6,886
Alleybux
Given the current disrespect thrown at Mariah from across the board, her supposed white woman looks is not protecting her from the insults of youngins. I don’t think people in general would disrespect a white woman of Mariah’s stature, even if they weren’t fans. As crazy as Madonna is, people aren’t so careless as to trash or even question her legacy.
Madonna is a trash artist that can't sing or dance. She opened the doors for people like Britney, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc. It's because of her that Pop singers care more about brand and marketing than actual talent. I don't know why people won't admit most of her discography sounds dated. fµck her legacy

2through

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
43,118 907 910
Alleybux
If by black you mean those who are living in the United States, descended from slaves in the United States, and products of the BLACK American experience, nope.

Afro Latinos have a deep rooted connection to latin culture. Even Afro-Canadians don't have the same experiences, culture, background, etc. as we do.

Cubans and Puerto Ricans are all latino. Tell them they are all the same and see how that goes.

You're confusing "Black" for "African-American." All African-Americans are Black but not all Blacks are African-American. Get it? Mariah's Afro-Venezuelan father was a Black man.

driveinsaturday

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
88,105 1,446 1,126
Alleybux
You're conflating biracial with black here, for one thing. Mariah looks biracial at best. As someone with a tight knit MGM family on one side, there are virtually no people with four black grandparents that look like Mariah. Even very lightskinned black people like Steph Curry or Vanessa Williams or Tina Knowles or Prince don't look like Mariah. There are more white people with four white grandparents that look like Mariah than black people with four black grandparents that look like Mariah.

Secondly, why exactly do we (black people) have to say Halle is the same as Mariah? We are not machines that go around with DNA testers to identify ethnicity. There are plenty of black women with two black parents that look like Halle. That difference matters. Which is why Halle is often colloquially called black whereas Mariah is mostly called mixed.

I talked about genotype v. phenotype for a reason. Phenotype matters even if genotype is the same as between a Halle and a Mariah. before Mariah had any procedures, a lot of people looked at her and saw a white woman. (Although I want to mention here that she IS half black and has every right to identify with that aspect of her identity. It's not her fault that she was born white passing. So I agree with you that there is no comparison to be made between Mariah and real white culture vultures.)

Some folks fighting to call someone who looks like Mariah "black" is how Rachel Dolzel got her scam on. It's not a good thing. Let's leave the one drop rule in 1850 and let mixed people be mixed.

I understand your perspective. Granted there is no specific biracial look, Mariah has always looked biracial to me.

Black people gotta be consistent with biracials. We can’t call Halle Berry a Black woman then deny Mariah Carey. This mess is rude.

MrsTresvant

Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,488 20,156 17,407
Alleybux
Mariah is not black but Alicia Keys is black?

Who defines black now? As far as I am concerned...HALF = BLACK. Period.

Vanessa Williams is half black by percentages...is she now BIRACIAL? FOH

Also, Mariah's great grandmother was from Venezuela...and she could have been mostly black as well. She is only 1/8th Venezuelan. She just said that sh!t 30 years ago to be cute. She is not a Latina.

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
580,927 19,669 2,219
Alleybux
I guess it depends on how she sees herself.........Pres Obama and Halle have white mothers but consider themselves Black....Mariah always claimed both.......I don't know and I can't believe we're still discussing her identity in 2017.....just call her one of the best selling artists

Tina J

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
136,888 6,557 2,430
Alleybux
All I know is Natural pre plastic surgery Mariah could have easily walked the streets of Italy and Spain and citizens would just look at her as another italian or spanish woman. Her phenotype is of southern european. That nose too.

a2c55aa61c49d44ba389505e36d6ae4e--mariah-carey-playlist.jpg

So yeah she's not black. She is bi-racial and genetically more white than black.

Who cares though? Mariah has always claimed mixed race and there's nothing wrong with that because that's who she is. Mariah always had soul and has always gave credit to her black pioneers. She always put black artists on the forefront to promote their music too. The lady is genuine and if you look past the diva image, you will know that she is immensely talented. She writes, co produces and comes up with the concept with all of her music.

sandrajane

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,819 1,294 199
Alleybux

Right.

afro-venezuelan-family.png

No, Mariah's father was American and was born and raised in Harlem. He is not from Venezuela. His father was; he immigrated when he was like 12 or 13. The confusion stems from Mariah saying her mom is Irish and her dad is Black and Venezuelan. Because being Venezuelan is not a race, but a nationality, people of course went with the assumption that her dad was born there.

A few times she mentioned him:

The first time she actually broke it down, Ebony 1994:
After her parents divorced when she was 3 years old, Mariah was reared by her Irish-American mother, Patricia Carey, a vocal coach and former opera singer. During her childhood, Mariah only periodically saw her father, Alfred Roy Carey, a Black aeronautical engineer who lives in Washington, D.C., and also has a home on Long Island. Her father's mother is Black, she explains, while his father is Venezuelan.

Interview 2007:
And here's my grandfather on my father's side. He's half black and I believe half Venezuelan. But he didn't speak Spanish. He came here when he was very young, so he lost all that. But you can tell that he's Latin. I think he's the one with the really strong genes because my brother and all of us look like him..

Latina 2003
:
For Mariah, life has been a series of separations and reunions that either fill in gaps of her background or create new ones. In addition to the feuding between her mother and grandparents, Mariah's father and his father were also estranged. "I didn't meet my paternal grandfather until I was about 6 years old because my father's parents divorced when he was a little boy. He was raised by his mother, Addie, who was African American," she relates.

Growing up in Harlem and the Bronx, New York, Alfred Roy identified more with his African American side. "But as he got older," Mariah recounts, "he wanted to investigate more of every aspect of what he was. That's when he started on his quest to trace his roots."

It was daunting project from the start. "My father just told me a story this past year," Mariah says. "We had always thought that 'Carey' was a name that my grandfather made up. But what we found out is that my great-grandmother Margarita Nunez was with a man named Carey. They weren't married, but my grandfather took his name because he was actually his father." Adding to the mystery was Mr. Carey's lineage: "Apparently he had red hair and freckles, but he could've been black or white. We just don't know."

Latina 2001:

L: No, what's the Nuñez thing?
MC: That's my grandfather's real last name, so my name would've been María Nuñez. But when he came to this country from Venezuela, he changed his name to gain cultural immunity. My father laughed at this because Irish people were just as discriminated against as Spanish speakers at that point in time.

So I recently went to Venezuela, because my father's now trying to trace his roots. My father and grandfather didn't really speak to each other for the bulk of my father's life because his parents got divorced. But my father found out the name of the town in Venezuela where my great-grandmother came from. See, all this was a new layer of understanding for me because we didn't know anything before. I thought I was part Cuban for a while, because my father didn't deal with that side.

L: When did you find that out?
MC: I guess when I first met my grandfather, when I was 7. He was a very nice man. I had a picture that my father had given me of my grandfather when he was young, and I went to Venezuela and tried to find information, just really for my father more than anything else, even though I'm not close with my father. I feel it's a way to have a relationship that's healthy and nice.

So I went on TV asking for information, and suddenly a lot of people started coming out and saying, "I'm her grandfather." But he passed away about four years ago, so that was a whole weird thing. But I think we found some people who are related.

Mariah did an interverview within the last year and said people misconstrued what she has perviously said and it's her great-grandmother her immigrated not her grandfather. Or something like that. I thought that odd, because she's basically said the same thing every time she's talked about her paternal family.

Interview from Rainbow album era:

In 2001 when Mariah was looking for her father's Venezuelan relatives, some show found them and interviewed them (I got the video, these are screen shots). First picture is Mariah's fathers great Niece, second picture her grandfather and his sister and last is two other family members.

jj2uty.jpg

aemgzo.jpg

10xwrdl.jpg

But wait, there's more! The last two times she's spoken about this (George Lopez show in 2009 and an interview with an Argentinian newspaper last year) she said it was her dad's grandmother who was Venezuelan. That's way father back than what she used to say.

PrinceNelson

Eat your pancakes
Reaction score
Reactions
161,223 17,474 9,412
Alleybux
I don't think Mariah herself has ever claimed to be black. At least I know she didn't when she first came out.

When she first came out, idk cos I was real young but I do remember sometime around 98 or 99 she was on Oprah crying about how she was black and ppl didn't believe her lol.

PrinceNelson

Eat your pancakes
Reaction score
Reactions
161,223 17,474 9,412
Alleybux
My problem with people like Mariah, Halsey, Nicole Richie(I will add lesser known Prince protegee Jill Jones to the mix) is that these biracial women are very vocal about their black side but don't try to look the part, something Alicia Keys, Tinashe, Kidada (back then), Halle, Sade don't do.

If you're so proud of your black heritage why are you dying your hair blonde, ALWAYS wearing it straight (Ok Mariah wore it curly for a second in the beginning), looking as if you never take the sun, trying to look as white as possible yet claiming black. I don't get it.

GraceMerci

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,089 1,520 881
Alleybux
Nothing wrong with that, if she is biracial she is as black as she is white, so 50/50 not a problem if she identifies with both her Irish and African American/ Afro Venezualan heritage. Mariah did not disregard her blackness, it was racist america who did not want proudly claiming her blackness.

midori2016

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
26,274 6,375 10,487
Alleybux
Nothing wrong with that, if she is biracial she is as black as she is white, so 50/50 not a problem if she identifies with both her Irish and African American/ Afro Venezualan heritage. Mariah did not disregard her blackness, it was racist america who did not want proudly claiming her blackness.

Mariah Careys dad is a black man. He was not half white. I have been to Venezuela and people need to travel there are LOTS of Black Venezuelans. People need to stop thinking hispanic is a race. Sigh

brooklynn1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,553 718 920
Alleybux
I'm not sure if i already posted something like this already in the thread since it's been a long time but this is just a pr stunt by her people, I wouldn't take it seriously. When Barbra Walters did the interview with her she introduced her as the most successful artist in billboard history yet billboard as never made this claim. Years ago she had people introduced her as the best selling recording artist of all time, again a title she never held. Also in the lawsuit last year she demanded that people call her the queen of Christmas , it's just a way to hype her up.

GraceMerci

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,089 1,520 881
Alleybux
Mariah Careys dad is a black man. He was not half white. I have been to Venezuela and people need to travel there are LOTS of Black Venezuelans. People need to stop thinking hispanic is a race. Sigh

Did you read what I said Afro Valenzuela