Quantcast

Anyone Else On A Low Carb And Low Fat Diet?

Frosted Flakes

You Are Worthless Subhuman Trash
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
11,734 1,151 616
Alleybux
I try to keep my carbs below 100 g a day and fat below 30 g a day. I eat 1200 calories a day and aim mostly for lean protein (fish). I noticed that eating this way allows for regular bowel movements and feeling satiated but also energized. Right now, my diet consists entirely of fish, fruit, vegetables, cheese, nuts and oatmeal. All other foods are banned. I just want to know if this is sustainable/healthy long term. Any nutrition experts here?

finessse

FINESSE QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
313,821 12,112 9,617
Alleybux
Well I'm not a nutrition expert but I can tell you from experience that a super restrictive diet like that is not sustainable. Depriving yourself of certain items is only going to make you want them more as time goes on. The best thing to do it to just limit the amount of unhealthy foods you eat overall, rather than cut it out completely. Its ok to indulge sometimes and it also helps your metabolism

MicheleK

Code Poet
Reaction score
Reactions
46,490 947 356
Alleybux
It's not too bad and way more sustainable than Keto or other very restrictive diets.

With so much protein intakes, It would be better if you also do workout.

HeySunshine22

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
241,703 5,829 2,091
Alleybux
Low carb and low sugar, yes. Not low fat though. I love it. What you're describing and Keto ARE in fact sustainable at the range that you're aiming for. 100g of carbs allows for pretty much any veg and fruit, all you have to do is cut out bread and pasta. I haven't really eaten bread and pasta in years- I just don't have a taste for it. If weight loss is your goal, and you're new to this regimen, you'll definitely lose weight. Probably for a few months and then you'll taper off into a maintenance mode.

jay ray

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,037 186 71
Alleybux
isn't it one or the other one? either low fat or low carb. what else is there to eat ???

Bellalyse

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,609 71 9
Alleybux
isn't it one or the other one? either low fat or low carb. what else is there to eat ???

You would have to get most of your energy from protein, but I don't see how you could do that without either jacking up your kidneys or somehow including more fat or carbs into the mix.

patiense

“Every word of God is flawless" Proverbs 30:5
Reaction score
Reactions
26,340 3,455 3,394
Alleybux
It's not too bad and way more sustainable than Keto or other very restrictive diets.

With so much protein intakes, It would be better if you also do workout.
how is a low carb AND fat diet, less restrictive?

XUserX

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
121,114 2,431 1,381
Alleybux
cheat day 1x per week and period cheat week if I feel like it.

I pull back when I'm getting too bitchy or if I just feel like it. After all the weights I've ever lifted I deserve every cheat meal I want to take.

abknd

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,292 26 47
Alleybux
I try to keep my carbs below 100 g a day and fat below 30 g a day. I eat 1200 calories a day and aim mostly for lean protein (fish). I noticed that eating this way allows for regular bowel movements and feeling satiated but also energized. Right now, my diet consists entirely of fish, fruit, vegetables, cheese, nuts and oatmeal. All other foods are banned. I just want to know if this is sustainable/healthy long term. Any nutrition experts here?

I am.

Low carb and low fat is essentially a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF), which is what I'm on.

It's is a pretty extreme form of dieting so it's crucial to follow a structured program that ensures you're hitting the minimums for things like protein and certain micronutrients like calcium.

And depending on what your starting bodyfat percentage (or BMI) is, getting too little protein can mess up your metabolism in such a way that you'll struggle to recover.

Detail is everything with crash diets. If you can give a few more details such as whether you're following a structured program, your starting lean body mass amount (this helps determine how much protein you should be getting as a minimum), and specifics regarding your average daily food intake?

[I'm not a nutrition expert, just know lots about PSMF]

Last edited:

Frosted Flakes

You Are Worthless Subhuman Trash
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
11,734 1,151 616
Alleybux
I am.

Low carb and low fat is essentially a Protein-Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF), which is what I'm on.

It's is a pretty extreme form of dieting so it's crucial to follow a structured program that ensures you're hitting the minimums for things like protein and certain micronutrients like calcium.

And depending on what your starting bodyfat percentage (or BMI) is, getting too little protein can mess up your metabolism in such a way that you'll struggle to recover.

Detail is everything with crash diets. If you can give a few more details such as whether you're following a structured program, your starting lean body mass amount (this helps determine how much protein you should be getting as a minimum), and specifics regarding your average daily food intake?

[I'm not a nutrition expert, just know lots about PSMF]

No, I’m not following a structured program besides limiting my carbs to 100 g a day and fat to 30 g a day. I read to try to eat half your body weight in grams of protein. So, I aim for about 60 g of protein of lean (low fat) fish a day. I’ve been having tuna steaks and shrimp. I cut out all bread, rice, pasta, potatoes/starchy vegetables, eggs, meat (except fish), dairy (except cheese) and all junk food. My days consist of 1-2 vegetable salads with low fat dressing, 1-2 green apples, 1 pouch of Quakers instant oatmeal, 1 serving of nuts, 1 serving of cheese and 1-2 servings of baked tuna steak or shrimp. I also drink coffee with unsweetened vanilla cashew milk and aim for 1200 calories or less a day.

abknd

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,292 26 47
Alleybux
  • Carbs around 100g put you in the ketogenic category. Adding low fat puts you in 'low fat ketogenic'.
  • Although your carb level isn't technically in the PSMF range (my carb level is below 20g), you're still at a level that would benefit from insight into PSMF so definitely read up on it. There just doesn't seem to be any good information on 'low fat keto' so it may be worth researching PSMF instead.
  • All diets make us nutrient deficient simply because we're restricting our food intake. We're even more restricted on diets like 'low carb keto' so it's extremely important to understand which micro-nutrients we need to be supplementing.
  • Nutrient deficiencies can affect your ability to stick to the diet. For example, one of the things I need to look out for with PSMF is adequate potassium and sodium intake. There isn't enough in the diet so I have to supplement. If I don't, I'll have electrolyte imbalance that can cause symptoms like lethargy and light-headedness. Such symptoms can interfere with my ability to stick with the diet. This is just one of the reasons why following a structured program that includes information on all aspects of nutrition matters.

I'll now comment on some of the information you provided. I can't give a full break down of PSMF as the way one sets up such a diet is based on individual factors such as lean body mass amount etc and I don't want to reproduce a whole book.
  • From your food diary, you have a mish-mash of dieting principles:
- Pescatarian
- Low calorie
- 'Low fat keto'
- Very low calorie (100g carbs, 60g protein, 30g fat = 910 calories)​
  • 'Low fat keto' is already a pretty restricted diet. Adding more rules (pescatarian plus calorie) is even more restrictive and therefore requires more effort to stick to. 'Low fat keto' is only meant to be a short term diet so you can always go back to your other eating principles when you're done.
  • I would pick one of these dieting principles, find a good book on it and stick to it.
To select a diet principle, decide what your main goal is and focus on that. Is your main goal fat loss? 'Low fat keto' is your ultimate option. However, any of the others work just fine. Is your main goal FAST fat loss? 'Low fat keto' is your go to.

You're currently on:
100g carbs
60g protein
30g fat
  • When carbs go below 100g and you add low fat - PROTEIN levels become EXTREMELY important. 60g is way too low. I've tried to figure out which calculation you used - understand that some of these bodyweight calculators are based on men.... If you can determine your lean body mass (Google), I can give you a less problematic protein level to work with.
  • Why does the protein level matter so much on 'low carb keto'? Adequate protein is protein-sparing. Protein-sparing minimises muscle loss. You want to hang onto the muscle and only let go of the fat - consuming adequate protein helps you achieve that. Another thing - protein is like fat when it comes to satiety, it makes you feel full. If you're on a diet that makes you feel full, you're more likely to stick to it.
  • Low carb keto is never meant to be long term. I can give you a general idea of the duration to stick with it for. (Specifics can be found in PSMF books etc). By the way, only continue with this is you're following a structured program that informs you of micronutrient supplementation, protein levels, water intake etc. If you're not using a program that has these considerations, I'd consider moving on to low calorie or pescatarian because the kind of problems you can get from messing about too often on such a restrictive diet are a nightmare to resolve. OK, on the question of duration. At BMI 28 plus, do it for minimum 6 weeks to maximum 12 weeks. (At BMI below 28, there are too many considerations to make so reading a good book on the topic is crucial)

With all this in mind, here is my answer to your original question:
....... I just want to know if this is sustainable/healthy long term. Any nutrition experts here?

The question of long term doesn't arise as 'low carb keto' is not meant to be long term.

Your current set up is not sustainable/healthy due to inadequate protein and inadequate micro-nutrient supplementation.

Last edited: