Quantcast

Anyone Going through a Mid-Career Crisis or In Transition from Employee to Business Owner?

What's your current career health?

• Working in your career of choice and satisfied!

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • You’re an objectively successful professional, yet you’re not satisfied.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • You’re apathetic towards your work and often disinterested in achieving greater results.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • You’re not enthusiastic about going to work.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • You’re impatient, defensive and disgruntled.

• You're currently working a full-time career job, but recently started your own business.

• You're feeling stuck in your career field.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • You're struggling most days to get up in the morning to work.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • You're feeling your current career is not fulfilling or helping to meet your true purpose.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • You've started your own business and plan to quit your current job within the next 12 months.

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,592 1,841 196
Alleybux
I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do because I am in a bit of a transition. I am jumping out there to start my own business. However, I am still gainfully employed. If everything goes as planned with my business, I plan to resign from my current position in 2022.

I've come to the realization that I am tired of working for other people, especially within the past five years. I've changed companies (still same field) and even different industries and earning a good income. However, it's essentially all the same ish...and others have control of your financial future. The corporate life is no longer giving me life and rather depleting. It's not feeding my internal need for the purpose either. I've tried reverse psychology on myself to become enthusiastic again about my job but it is no longer working (lol).

Because of my work ethic, I will do what I need to do. However, it has become extremely difficult to wake up in the morning. My insomnia has worsened especially over the past several months. I've become more and more disinterested, no longer satisfied with my position, and ultimately am at that point when it's time to move on.

Jobs are not as secure as they used to be either so I figured let me see what happens. I am an HR professional so I also have another unique perspective so-to-speak. If I do not do it now, I'll never do it and always wonder what could have happened. I'm a planner and like stability. For me, venturing out on my own is major.

Edit: Added Poll.

Last edited:

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,292 3,161 1,231
Alleybux
I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do because I am in a bit of a transition. I am jumping out there to start my own business. However, I am still gainfully employed. If everything goes as planned with my business, I plan to resign from my current position in 2022.

I've come to the realization that I am tired of working for other people, especially within the past five years. I've changed companies (still same field) and even different industries and earning a good income. However, it's essentially all the same ish...and others have control of your financial future. The corporate life is no longer giving me life and rather depleting. It's not feeding my internal need for the purpose either. I've tried reverse psychology on myself to become enthusiastic again about my job but it is no longer working (lol).

Because of my work ethic, I will do what I need to do. However, it has become extremely difficult to wake up in the morning. My insomnia has worsened especially over the past several months. I've become more and more disinterested, no longer satisfied with my position, and ultimately am at that point when it's time to move on.

Jobs are not as secure as they used to be either so I figured let me see what happens. I am an HR professional so I also have another unique perspective so-to-speak. If I do not do it now, I'll never do it and always wonder what could have happened. I'm a planner and like stability. For me, venturing out on my own is major.

I think the fact that you've already started your own business puts you ahead of the career rut. Nothing sucks more than not knowing what to do to rectify your situation. I hope your business takes off and becomes as fulfilling and successful as you hoped it would be. Good luck!

poohdinni

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,639 1,466 976
Alleybux
I am.

Im going to start talking pre reqs for nursing,

Im therapist and I realize its not a livable wage, I will be a nurse for some years and stack my chips and secure my bag, and then I can be a therapist exclusively

ComplexCon

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,671 363 146
Alleybux
I did in 2019.

It's rough.

What got me really in a groove was waking up in the morning, working out, and going to a coffee shop, co-working space, or now, my own private office space. Staying at home and working was becoming incredibly difficult, especially when COVID hit.

I realized I was essentially copying my corporate routine (wake up, workout, office). Once I found a routine and developed a system for lead gen, it became fun again.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,862 3,302 3,198
Alleybux

yep. starting my own business. well, my spouse and i. i'm not employed, as he's the breadwinner but we are launching it because he's tired of the corporate machine and wants to be his own boss. I'm going to help us make our dreams come true to retire filthily richly!

Mugla

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,325 436 216
Alleybux
Feeling overwhelmingly dissatisfied and trapped in my work. No problems working for others and part of me knows the path ive ended up on was for a reason...I just no clue where its heading as im treading so lightly.

Last edited:

ISaySeaux

John Michael's muse
Reaction score
Reactions
26,896 2,640 159
Alleybux
Aretha Franklin Bag GIF - Find & Share ... | Aretha franklin, Franklin,  Best memes

My current career is not aligned with my purpose. I know exactly what I should be doing instead but I need to gather the courage to exit my comfort zone and come up with a concrete escape plan.

It would help to hear how others did it so your post is right on time, OP.

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,592 1,841 196
Alleybux
I think the fact that you've already started your own business puts you ahead of the career rut. Nothing sucks more than not knowing what to do to rectify your situation. I hope your business takes off and becomes as fulfilling and successful as you hoped it would be. Good luck!

Thank you! You have no idea how words of encouragement and positivity help!

When I started the business, it was really a means to an end, and only planned to do it for a couple of years to meet a certain financial goal that I had (well, still have). Actually, taking the steps to form my business was helping keep me out of the rut for a bit! Then, it hit me that I'm really unhappy with my job and the approach that I've attempted to "grin and bear it" was getting harder and harder to do (and still is). However, I had to rethink it even more especially as I started to really tune into the business potential. By late Winter, it was becoming clear and apparent that I'm close to checking out. Because I am self-aware, I usually know when I start to get that feeling that it is time to move to Plan B.

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,592 1,841 196
Alleybux
I did in 2019.

It's rough.

What got me really in a groove was waking up in the morning, working out, and going to a coffee shop, co-working space, or now, my own private office space. Staying at home and working was becoming incredibly difficult, especially when COVID hit.

I realized I was essentially copying my corporate routine (wake up, workout, office). Once I found a routine and developed a system for lead gen, it became fun again.

I'm glad it worked out for you and you were able to get your "mojo" back. I've tried some things to attempt to help me be more enthusiastic in my current role. However, I keep coming back to the same thing. Honestly, I probably would have resigned by now if I was not working from home due Covid-19. My job has drained me to the point that I'm just exhausted. After work, I typically feel like I don't have anything else to give...LOL! The only reason I truly haven't is because my current job is helping me with the wiggle room I need to get my business off the ground so for that I'm thankful and the only thing that has helped me cope from day-to-day while very challenging.

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
I started a new job /my first full time job since college not too long ago and I hope to start my business before the 1 year mark. Not to quit, just start. I like the job, but I’m not too fond of getting up early and going. Lol. They let us work remote sometimes and I like that, I’d like having a later start too. I also did not realize how poor my work social skills are, and I hope to improve that plus gain experience in my field before leaving this job.

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,592 1,841 196
Alleybux
Aretha Franklin Bag GIF - Find & Share ... | Aretha franklin, Franklin,  Best memes

My current career is not aligned with my purpose. I know exactly what I should be doing instead but I need to gather the courage to exit my comfort zone and come up with a concrete escape plan.

It would help to hear how others did it so your post is right on time, OP.
The best advice I can give is to pursue it sooner than later. I highly recommend finding a mentor and/or networking with people who are in the field that you desire. Start with short-term goals to get where you want to be even if that means taking some time off to work on any short-term steps to get you to your ultimate desire. Create a weekly task list of actionable items and create a timeline to finish each task until you reach your long-term goals that may include:
- putting your short-term goals and desired outcomes in writing;
- identifying and writing down the steps you need to take for your "escape" plan;
- researching specific topics over a period of time that are relevant to what you want to do
- saving for x-related costs that may be associated with what you want to do; and
- attending networking events or seminars (virtual or onsite).

At a minimum, commit to taking an hour at least a few days per week to do nothing but work on those actionable items. There are a lot of good journaling books and planners out there that cater to doing this, too, that you can find on Amazon, Etsy, Google search, etc. I recommend starting here:

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,592 1,841 196
Alleybux
I started a new job /my first full time job since college not too long ago and I hope to start my business before the 1 year mark. Not to quit, just start. I like the job, but I’m not too fond of getting up early and going. Lol. They let us work remote sometimes and I like that, I’d like having a later start too. I also did not realize how poor my work social skills are, and I hope to improve that plus gain experience in my field before leaving this job.

Congrats on your new job! That's awesome (new job and entrepreneur goal)! At least you recognize what your gaps may be. Use your current job to build your skills. If your company offers free learning and development courses that may be beneficial for your growth in your current role AND the business that you want to start. Use your current job to help you meet your long-term goal of starting your own business.

I'm definitely more "seasoned" than you in age and career experience (LOL)! I'd definitely advise that you start putting in the work to achieve eventually starting your own business and getting it off the ground especially while you are still working. If this is your first job out of college, give yourself the time and space needed to grow and develop. Use your time wisely to conduct research about the business you want to start.

Change that aspirational "hope" to action so that you "will" start your own business! Wishing you well on your early journey!

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,592 1,841 196
Alleybux
Feeling overwhelmingly dissatisfied and trapped in my work. No problems working for others and part of me knows the path ive ended up on was for a reason...I just no clue where its heading as im treading so lightly.

If you do not mind me asking, is there any particular reason(s) why you are dissatisfied and feel trapped? What's the root of it?

ISaySeaux

John Michael's muse
Reaction score
Reactions
26,896 2,640 159
Alleybux
The best advice I can give is to pursue it sooner than later. I highly recommend finding a mentor and/or networking with people who are in the field that you desire. Start with short-term goals to get where you want to be even if that means taking some time off to work on any short-term steps to get you to your ultimate desire. Create a weekly task list of actionable items and create a timeline to finish each task until you reach your long-term goals that may include:
- putting your short-term goals and desired outcomes in writing;
- identifying and writing down the steps you need to take for your "escape" plan;
- researching specific topics over a period of time that are relevant to what you want to do
- saving for x-related costs that may be associated with what you want to do; and
- attending networking events or seminars (virtual or onsite).

At a minimum, commit to taking an hour at least a few days per week to do nothing but work on those actionable items. There are a lot of good journaling books and planners out there that cater to doing this, too, that you can find on Amazon, Etsy, Google search, etc. I recommend starting here:

Thanks. This is so helpful! :yesyes

Mugla

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,325 436 216
Alleybux
If you do not mind me asking, is there any particular reason(s) why you are dissatisfied and feel trapped? What's the root of it?
No probs.

The root of my job is pretty negative (public protection, allegedly) but people use the system to be malicious to professionals (for personal or professional reasons).Those professionals are subsequently under stress due to our process. As much as people may say "its just a job", I hate doing this kinda thing day in day out. Coupled with the high turnover of staff, high caseloads, no management support and things brought in to help, only to be removed again, I am COMPLETELY unsatisfied - and it shows cuz at this stage of life, I find it hard to fake it.

I feel trapped because I have no clue what kinda work to do next. When your career has had particular trajectory its hard to make the break into something completely different. There would be nothing worse that an applying for similar work and having the same issues elsewhere. Also would probably need to be earning over a certain amount in another role, though I wouldnt mind a small drop. My bday is next week and its always a sensitive time for me. Ill be 41 and feel I should have achieved much more (though I acknowledge I havent done too bad). I used to do part time work at events which balanced things up, however, none of that within the last year.

I have been saving money to move home and buy a car. But at this stage, Im honestly not sure if Id want them to renew my contract when up for renewal in June.

Itsmeokay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
155,222 5,150 1,146
Alleybux
I am.

Im going to start talking pre reqs for nursing,

Im therapist and I realize its not a livable wage, I will be a nurse for some years and stack my chips and secure my bag, and then I can be a therapist exclusively
I'm not going into nursing but same.