Quantcast

Anyone got their masters in social work?

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,148 3,085 528
Alleybux
It is a damn struggle

Get a mentor.
Join the NASW for support and to do research about different areas.

Do research about all the avenues there are out there for social work because its a generalist practice. You dont just have to do non profit.

Continue to get post grad certs in different areas because it helps. Will help set you apart. Get certs or CUEs in the major therapies like CBT and DBT. Be versed in groups and how to run them effectively. Also learn more about community organizing because its noy just about individuals. With the way the world is now community organizing cant continue to be on the back burner of social work. Community organizing is part of social work.

If you are in certain parts of the country and there is one population or culture where it helps to know that language learn it. Like i live in a city where its helpful to know Spanish or Haitian Creole. Learn it.

These are all the things I wish I had learned in the beginning.

Be smarter than I was. I accepted things I should not have. I dealt with bull sh!t and wack pay when I should not have. Know your worth. Just because you are a social worker doesnt mean you have to just take less than.

And like I said get a mentor. It really can help.

Rochelle1983

Lightskin Girl
Reaction score
Reactions
10,242 897 211
Alleybux
I would like to get mines one day, I'm currently in school for social services.

AlwaysT

Steeped
Reaction score
Reactions
92,243 2,823 951
Alleybux
I would only do it in Canada then stay there. Its cheaper and the pay is better there. In America? Not a chance.

Philly_Chick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,360 704 164
Alleybux
I have my MSW and licensed with the state as a LSW. Currently, I work in a school and hate it. I've been trying to get into a hospital or administration, but since covid, it seems to be a job freeze as I don't see many medical social work positions posted.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,527 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
My best friend just got hers from Hunter College in NYC. She works in a clinic and makes decent income about 60k. She is going to transition into a hospital because her internships was in hospitals ... she does not want to to work with kids and does not. She likes working with people with addiction and HIV. She loved her program and it was easy for her. Honestly ... with me and her siblings, this was a formality LMAO.

Good luck OP. Go for it. I would not go to the most expensive school. She wanted to go to Fordham and do it online, but she legit got opportunities that people at NYU and Fordham got. She got one of the best internships that her school offered where she networked with people ath those schools ... they would have made her an offer if it wasn't for covid.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
Did you enjoy working with kids?

That's what I want to do.
I have my LMSW and I work in education w/special education kids. PM me if you want more details.
The test can be annoying to study for and pass, but its def needed if you want to advance and make money. If you fail/miss passing by 4 points, ask ya job to write a letter to the state stating you need the license for your job and they will waive the 90 day wait requirement to retest. ( a lot of ppl don't know this *hint hint*). You can get state jobs and other positions that make gooood money depending on where you live without the license. Definitely try to join some professional organizations/association of black sw organizations in your area for networking/job opportunities/support or if you are in a sorority that can help with obtaining jobs as well.

I agree with the font that said to become bilingual in another language, depending on the needs of your area/state, I'm trying to brush up on Spanish...If you are bilingual you can make bonus money just for that alone in addition to your regular income. It is a great field, you can work for the education system, vocational/job coaching, family counseling, forensic social work, prison/corrections system/courts, hospital/medical field, gerontology, private practice (Clinical), military, child welfare, police dept, etc....It's endless...lots of different areas you can work in. I'm trying to transition to a public school job or a state job in the immediate future... Best of luck! Take advantage and pick good field internships that interest you-- that can lead to a full time position. Also- you gotta do continuing ed credits to maintain your license...its all a money grab to me though...annoying as hell...lol

Last edited:

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
I have my MSW and licensed with the state as a LSW. Currently, I work in a school and hate it. I've been trying to get into a hospital or administration, but since covid, it seems to be a job freeze as I don't see many medical social work positions posted.
If you don't mind relocating to NYC, I've seen many hospital/medical social work positions available on Indeed!

Philly_Chick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,360 704 164
Alleybux
If you don't mind relocating to NYC, I've seen many hospital/medical social work positions available on Indeed!
Thank you. I have minor children, so can't relocate at the moment. I have thought about relocating once they are of age, but don't want to take the licensure exam again...lol. That's what I don't like about the SW license, it isn't transferable to a different state. To work in NJ, I would need to take the exam for NJ. I'm licensed in PA.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
Thank you. I have minor children, so can't relocate at the moment. I have thought about relocating once they are of age, but don't want to take the licensure exam again...lol. That's what I don't like about the SW license, it isn't transferable to a different state. To work in NJ, I would need to take the exam for NJ. I'm licensed in PA.
Yw! I know, that test is the devil...I don't even want to go for my Clinical, lol... I always wanted to know how the state reciprocity works, just in case I want to move. I think most states will accept your license from whatever state you are from. I think you just fill out a form, have your test exam score transferred over and pay a fee. I know some states may require more testing or extra steps, like California and Arizona, it varies state by state.

Check this out, but the updates are from 2019...

Philly_Chick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,360 704 164
Alleybux
Yw! I know, that test is the devil...I don't even want to go for my Clinical, lol... I always wanted to know how the state reciprocity works, just in case I want to move. I think most states will accept your license from whatever state you are from. I think you just fill out a form, have your test exam score transferred over and pay a fee. I know some states may require more testing or extra steps, like California and Arizona, it varies state by state.

Check this out, but the updates are from 2019...

THANK YOU for this link. I will definitely read. I've had my license since 2015 and didn't know if the changes.

Grand Puma

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,756 3,837 2,686
Alleybux
My sister got hers last month. She’s been a social worker for years. The program she was in combined career with study/tests. Took her about a year or so

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux

WigsbyTyler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
62,573 2,082 844
Alleybux
I'm surprised, medical social workers are usually in high demand. Have you looked into dialysis centers?

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,148 3,085 528
Alleybux
Getting into the hospitals is hard. That is the reason. Not impassible but hard. Especially where I live the city hospitals is hard due to people dont want to give up their pension. Once a person is in a hospital they usually stay.

But the hospitals are definitely hiring

And anyone who said you gotta network yup you have to.

I too am trying to either get a govt job in the city state or feds cause you cant beat a pension.

Also i feel like early in your career focus on working at places that can help get you your clinical hours so you can get your LCSW. When you get your C it opens up even more sh!t.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
Getting into the hospitals is hard. That is the reason. Not impassible but hard. Especially where I live the city hospitals is hard due to people dont want to give up their pension. Once a person is in a hospital they usually stay.

But the hospitals are definitely hiring

And anyone who said you gotta network yup you have to.

I too am trying to either get a govt job in the city state or feds cause you cant beat a pension.

Also i feel like early in your career focus on working at places that can help get you your clinical hours so you can get your LCSW. When you get your C it opens up even more sh!t.
I agree, the C opens up so much more opportunities but I would have to work under a supervisor to get my hours and then that damn test ?? I’m dreading that... lol... I don’t feel like going through studying again! Maybe I can find a second job on the side to get my hours on the weekends...idk

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,148 3,085 528
Alleybux
I agree, the C opens up so much more opportunities but I would have to work under a supervisor to get my hours and then that damn test ?? I’m dreading that... lol... I don’t feel like going through studying again! Maybe I can find a second job on the side to get my hours on the weekends...idk
Listen I dont even have my C yet. And people would say you gotta get your C you gotta and I am like ugh... Why. But then I got out there and was like oh I see why. More money and more and more they want it. Whatever you can do to set yourself apart.

Philly_Chick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,360 704 164
Alleybux
I'm surprised, medical social workers are usually in high demand. Have you looked into dialysis centers?
I think with the pandemic, a lot has been put on hold. I applied to several hospitals and when I checked the website, it says "on hold" after the position was posted.

A friend of mine just told me last week about dialysis centers, so I put my resume on davita since they have no openings.

`Bella

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,764 158 12
Alleybux
Watching this thread. I graduate with my MSW next month and I’m having trouble deciding what area I’d like to work in. I’m also nervous about the licensing exam. I don’t feel that my program prepared me enough for it.

There was a thread on here that someone made about areas one could go into to make more money in SW. I thought I saved it. I’ll go check and see if it’s in my bookmarks.

Philly_Chick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,360 704 164
Alleybux
Watching this thread. I graduate with my MSW next month and I’m having trouble deciding what area I’d like to work in. I’m also nervous about the licensing exam. I don’t feel that my program prepared me enough for it.

There was a thread on here that someone made about areas one could go into to make more money in SW. I thought I saved it. I’ll go check and see if it’s in my bookmarks.

Take the NASW test exam class. I took that as soon as I graduated, but didn't take the exam for 10 years as I wasn't interested. Well the study guide that was given during that class is what I used to study and pass my LSW exam on the first try 10 years later before they put out the DSM 5.

I say the best area is administration unless you want direct practice which is a high burnout depending on the work you do.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux

The studying and taking the exam part is a b!tch! Especially if you get anxiety taking exams. But there are good courses/materials you can use if your school doesn't provide you with the ASWB exam books. Those books are really good but has TONS of information. It can be overwhelming studying those books, but they are very detailed. Check out some of these sites:

The LMSW/LCSW Prep & Bootcamp is highly recommended bc their material, although a lot, is condensed into an easier way of understanding what you are studying. I didn't take the actual bootcamp workshop, but used the materials/booklet from other friends that took it. People I know that took the workshop liked it. They have one day workshops, online prep classes and an app. I don't remember how much it costs.

The Therapist Development Center- highly recommended as well, I actually used this one. Its kinda pricey, but it was worth it to me. They have a step by step process, provide a lot of practice exams, quizzes, handouts, audio content, online components and coaches are available to help you as needed. The only downfall is the program expires after 4 months but they they give you free extensions. I passed the LMSW with their help.

The Social Work Test Prep is another one. Not too familiar with this one though. I think I used some of their material in the past.

And do as many practice exams as possible, that will improve your test taking skills! And make sure you know the DSM 5, it changed since I took the test. If I can find or think of anything else, I will drop it in the thread or if you have more questions you can PM me.

Last edited:

Philly_Chick

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,360 704 164
Alleybux

To add when taking the exam, answer according to what you learned in school and not work experience. Since I had 10 years of experience, I had to go into the test answering with a textbook response and not my work experience. A lot of questions, I had to go back to and say don't answer if this is a client, answer how ASWB would want. That is how I passed

`Bella

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,764 158 12
Alleybux
Thank you guys for all of the advice!! I will pass along to my friend who is also graduating next month with her MSW as well.

`Bella

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,764 158 12
Alleybux
To add when taking the exam, answer according to what you learned in school and not work experience. Since I had 10 years of experience, I had to go into the test answering with a textbook response and not my work experience. A lot of questions, I had to go back to and say don't answer if this is a client, answer how ASWB would want. That is how I passed
Yes! An instructor told us the same thing. I have to keep that mindset because I’ve been working at an agency for four years and I’m stuck in that “mindset” of how things are handled in a real workplace versus how the school imagines a workplace to be.

Mya Harrison

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
31,916 704 114
Alleybux
There is some great advice in this thread; advice I wish I had when I entered the field 6 years ago with my MSSW. Things happen for a reason though and I’m glad to be where I currently am. Good luck OP. Having a MSW/MSSW will open you to a literal field of opportunities and growth. Definitely become licensed once you complete school.

JennySchecter

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,304 209 46
Alleybux
I just got into a great social work program but so far I would still be taking on a lot of debt. I have no debt from undergrad, but I'm scared I'll be signing myself up for debt in career that doesn't net the highest income. A lot of the careers or things I'm interested fall under the umbrella of social work so I'm not really sure what to do. An MSW would increase my pay by 10 grand in two years so it sounds worth it but when I look at the loan repayment plans it's not.

Audacity

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
174,578 9,396 5,720
Alleybux
My best friend just got hers from Hunter College in NYC. She works in a clinic and makes decent income about 60k. She is going to transition into a hospital because her internships was in hospitals ... she does not want to to work with kids and does not. She likes working with people with addiction and HIV. She loved her program and it was easy for her. Honestly ... with me and her siblings, this was a formality LMAO.

Good luck OP. Go for it. I would not go to the most expensive school. She wanted to go to Fordham and do it online, but she legit got opportunities that people at NYU and Fordham got. She got one of the best internships that her school offered where she networked with people ath those schools ... they would have made her an offer if it wasn't for covid.
Please don’t perpetuate the lie that $60k with a masters in NYC is “decent income”.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,527 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
Please don’t perpetuate the lie that $60k with a masters in NYC is “decent income”.
For someone fresh out of school, it's good income and she definitely will make much more than that. Everyone isn't struggling or making 20k with a Masters in social work. I'm confused what the issue is ... I am talking about a Masters in social work ... not a Masters degree generally. What I would expect to make and what my friend with a Masters in SOCIAL WORK is very different. I'm talking about someone working 1 job straight out of school, not doing therapy on the side for extra income. NYC is expensive so 60k is considered to be decent considering most apartments start at 1500 in a sh!tty area.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
For someone fresh out of school, it's good income and she definitely will make much more than that. Everyone isn't struggling or making 20k with a Masters in social work. I'm confused what the issue is ... I am talking about a Masters in social work ... not a Masters degree generally. What I would expect to make and what my friend with a Masters in SOCIAL WORK is very different. I'm talking about someone working 1 job straight out of school, not doing therapy on the side for extra income. NYC is expensive so 60k is considered to be decent considering most apartments start at 1500 in a sh!tty area.
60k for someone right out grad school with NO license is actually REALY good! With the license they can make more, depending on which field they are in. I've seen jobs that want you to have your LMSW and only want to low ball and start at the lower to mid 40s or low to mid 50s, so its not bad, per se. For NYC standards/quality of life, 60K can be considered low depending on which area you live in and you would have to make it stretch if you are single, but it is a decent start in my opinion fresh outta school w/little to no experience.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,527 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
60k for someone right out grad school with NO license is actually REALY good! With the license they can make more, depending on which field they are in. I've seen jobs that want you to have your LMSW and only want to low ball and start at the lower to mid 40s or low to mid 50s, so its not bad, per se. For NYC standards/quality of life, 60K can be considered low depending on which area you live in and you would have to make it stretch if you are single, but it is a decent start in my opinion fresh outta school w/little to no experience.

She has her license. She has 2-3 years experience, but oddly jobs did not consider her internships experience. That's unheard of in my field, but I was helping her look for jobs and had to adjust our search. Jobs won't even call you back without a license in NYC. THEN the next issue is everything was backed up, so she graduated and couldn't get a date for her license until December, so she honestly had one shot.

She just started a job in March and she graduated last spring. She would have gotten 10k less if she didn't have her license. It's super competitive here so if you don't have a license they are low balling the freak outta you ... it was really humbling. The best paying if you want to stay in social work in NYC is federal or private hospital. Her job has a union and is shockingly high paying for a clinic, but they are part of a private hospital even if they don't outwardly say it.

The problem in NYC is at 60k either you living at home or have roommates. It's not terrible income because there is always someone making less than you because everyone isn't making 6 figures here (average pay in NYC is probably less than 60k), but considering the rent and cost of living in NYC 60k is low. My friend picked up a second job because she makes a little less than 60k and nobody will rent to you at that income.

sweetepie842

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,017 222 15
Alleybux
She has her license. She has 2-3 years experience, but oddly jobs did not consider her internships experience. That's unheard of in my field, but I was helping her look for jobs and had to adjust our search. Jobs won't even call you back without a license in NYC. THEN the next issue is everything was backed up, so she graduated and couldn't get a date for her license until December, so she honestly had one shot.

She just started a job in March and she graduated last spring. She would have gotten 10k less if she didn't have her license. It's super competitive here so if you don't have a license they are low balling the freak outta you ... it was really humbling. The best paying if you want to stay in social work in NYC is federal or private hospital. Her job has a union and is shockingly high paying for a clinic, but they are part of a private hospital even if they don't outwardly say it.

The problem in NYC is at 60k either you living at home or have roommates. It's not terrible income because there is always someone making less than you because everyone isn't making 6 figures here (average pay in NYC is probably less than 60k), but considering the rent and cost of living in NYC 60k is low. My friend picked up a second job because she makes a little less than 60k and nobody will rent to you at that income.
Oh, she has her license, I thought you meant she didn't have one, I was gonna say..damn!! lol. That's still pretty good for 2-3 years experience though. But yeah a lot of jobs will try to pay you the bare minimum if you don't negotiate. Working for the state/civil service can also be well paying depending on what area you are going in as well. I'm trying to get into the Dept. of Ed, they pay really well based on experience. Hospitals are good options too, but the hours plus working weekends can be annoying if that doesn't fit with your desired schedule/homelife. I see a lot of the jobs now want the clinical license or for you to be bilingual. The endless requirements never end....yeah these sw jobs need to pay more, cause the cost of living goes up every year and I know a lot of people that have 2nd or 3rd jobs or side hustles...

TheLetterD

Fourth Letter of the Alphabet
Reaction score
Reactions
212,163 2,202 476
Alleybux
I have my MSW. Do I regret getting it? No, because it allowed me to attend my dream school. However, the social work field is so daunting. For the work that we do, it makes no damn sense that the starting pay at certain organizations are so low. Even if you work with a county, the pay is lower compared to other careers within said county and the city or town. Finding your population does help, know what area and what type of people you want to work with. From my time being in the field, the work isn’t difficult itself, but management can be such a pain to deal with. But I feel that’s with any career field to be honest. What does annoy me is that the profession asks for so much financially (BSW, MSW, licensure, CTE, etc.), but the ROI is so low compared to other careers. I have a love-hate relationship with social work, but tbh, when I see wins and can help my clients, that’s what keeps me going.

The Culture

News Alley

Top Bottom