Quantcast

Anyone here live in Henderson, NV?

DominaHW

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
441,283 9,378 4,423
Alleybux
I need to a buy home before prices get any wilder. I've heard good things about Henderson - the home prices look affordable, it has the scenery of southern Nevada, and crime doesn't seem to be an issue. My only concern is the weather, but I guess I will just have to deal. Can anyone give more first hand experiences?

TheStrokes

Your future ex wife
Reaction score
Reactions
5,054 181 16
Alleybux
Prostitutes live there because it's close to Las Vegas unfortunately. My brother in law lives in a neighborhood close to vegas and has mentioned that crime seems to have increased since the pandemic began. He feels uncomfortable raising his children there.

Last edited:

JasmineDone

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
9,888 245 122
Alleybux
Try to get as close to Green Valley or in it as you can, it's a nicer area, better restaurants, etc. I am sort of torn because it depends on where you are coming from and what you're used to. If you can handle very hot summers (dry heat), and are ok with driving everywhere, it is not a bad place to be. If you're young and like to go out, it can be very fun (the local places, not the strip so much). I will say, Vegas in general is experiencing a downturn and it can be rough there when this happens. Crime and homelessness is the worst I have ever seen it.

DominaHW

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
441,283 9,378 4,423
Alleybux
Try to get as close to Green Valley or in it as you can, it's a nicer area, better restaurants, etc. I am sort of torn because it depends on where you are coming from and what you're used to. If you can handle very hot summers (dry heat), and are ok with driving everywhere, it is not a bad place to be. If you're young and like to go out, it can be very fun (the local places, not the strip so much). I will say, Vegas in general is experiencing a downturn and it can be rough there when this happens. Crime and homelessness is the worst I have ever seen it.

Thank you! I don't go out much; I'm mainly looking to invest especially now that so many places have housing markets that are hot. As long as there's a lot of nature, space, and low crime, I'm good. I don't mind driving at all.

Regarding the homelessness and crime you mentioned -- do you see that mainly happening in Vegas or in Henderson? I was under the impression that it was mainly Vegas that struggled but the suburbs were okay. Is that no longer the case?

JasmineDone

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
9,888 245 122
Alleybux
Because of the way the whole Vegas area is layed out, suburbs are different there than they are in other places like SF, NY, where you have a central downtown or business area and then you take a freeway to a suburb. Henderson is very close to Vegas, in some areas it's the difference of a few minutes drive (and practically, they're basically the same like you would not know you are in Henderson vs Las Vegas necessaryily), so the homelessness definitely bleeds over in some areas. I was at a nice Target in Henderson yesterday (I don't live there anymore, but I am visting family) and 2 meth heads were fighting over a shopping cart. It was kind of shocking because usually you don't see it over there. There are a ton of gated communities though and they are very good about keeping that out. Summerlin is a planned community and it's more like a suburb because it's further out (but it's more pricey). If you want to keep the property for a few years, I honestly think it will be fine, but 2 years it probably will still be somewhat of an issue. General rule of the area, you want to be South or West of the strip, not North or East.

Laladoll3030

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,060 29 5
Alleybux
I do! I moved here from the Bay Area 4 years ago and I’m so glad I made the move.

M.A.R

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
157,689 8,626 481
Alleybux
My best friend lived in Henderson like 8 years ago. She had a good job at UNLV but left because she wanted to make more money. She works in the education field so there wasn’t too many job opportunities for her out there. She was renting a house in Henderson and it was very nice.

She also left because the dating scene for black women sucked there.

There are a lot of good restaurants in Las Vegas.