Quantcast

Anyone here teaching their babies multiple foreign languages?

TitsMcGhee

Corona Coochie
Reaction score
Reactions
177,906 2,441 813
Alleybux
My daughter is 3 months old and I want to start teaching her multiple languages. I speak German, Spanish, and my French/Arabic are shaky lol so I want to refresh myself as I teach her. The thing is, I want to teach her multiple languages so that once she is school aged, she’s got enough basic knowledge to possibly start speaking fluently.

From my understanding learning as a child is the best way to start but I’ve always done well with learning languages, even as an adult. What’s the best way to introduce all of them to her without overwhelming her and overwhelming myself? She already seems to enjoy responding in babble when I say something to her lol

Ciguapa

Passing panoramic
Reaction score
Reactions
6,209 534 21
Alleybux
No kids yet but when I do have them, my partner will speak in English and I will speak in Spanish.

They definitely say it's the best time to learn languages - child development theories.

TitsMcGhee

Corona Coochie
Reaction score
Reactions
177,906 2,441 813
Alleybux
No kids yet but when I do have them, my partner will speak in English and I will speak in Spanish.

They definitely say it's the best time to learn languages - child development theories.
I speak to her and translate things already and we do our alphabet in different languages. I just hope I’m not overwhelming her and being counterproductive in the process.

Liz Gregory

Mrs. Reverend Doctor Reuben Gregory
Reaction score
Reactions
255,628 8,110 17,723
Alleybux
My husband speaks fluent Italian to our children; this is their first language with English being second. I will incorporate Spanish and French once they are older.

juulsee

Lurking
Reaction score
Reactions
39,041 1,185 474
Alleybux
Not yet. I am planning to get then started on Spanish within the coming year. They are 6 and 4 so now is really the time. I tried to get my oldest son to do online Spanish but it was a bit too much for him along with virtual kindergarten.

So I'm going to try to get him a tutor after the Fall soccer season.

I take online Spanish lessons on Preply.com it's a legit website and you can learn any language with a real teacher.

Clara Barton

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
182,147 10,698 4,210
Alleybux
I plan on teaching my child Spanish.

I incorporate it a lot and buy everything in Spanish if I can.

I wish I started cocomelon in Spanish first, but my child prefers Simple Songs Spanish version.

My cousins are bilingual. Be prepared for delayed speaking.

A few spoke English confidently by 3, but most didn’t say anything until late 2 because they had options of how they wanted to say something.

By 4/5, they spoke both fluently.

Im nervous integrating at a late toddler stage, because I thought it had to be started in infancy.

It’s encouraging to see that isn’t the case. I’ll continue integrating.

Bourgie Boho

Igbo girls dey maintain
Reaction score
Reactions
236,718 9,040 6,388
Alleybux
I plan on relearning my native tongue because I plan on passing it down to our children.

Last edited:

juulsee

Lurking
Reaction score
Reactions
39,041 1,185 474
Alleybux
I plan on teaching my child Spanish.

I incorporate it a lot and buy everything in Spanish if I can.

I wish I started cocomelon in Spanish first, but my child prefers Simple Songs Spanish version.

My cousins are bilingual. Be prepared for delayed speaking.

A few spoke English confidently by 3, but most didn’t say anything until late 2 because they had options of how they wanted to say something.

By 4/5, they spoke both fluently.

Im nervous integrating at a late toddler stage, because I thought it had to be started in infancy.

It’s encouraging to see that isn’t the case. I’ll continue integrating.
It's not too late. They can definitely catch up. I use Spanish phrases with my sons and we listen to Spanish music and podcasts. I feel a since of urgency living in the US because Spanish is becoming a necessity in the workplace. So if they learn it young they can be prepared later in life.

Melrose Monroe

Making LSA great again.
Reaction score
Reactions
148,918 1,841 311
Alleybux
I’ve been wondering this as well. My fiance and his mom are adamant our children learn Portuguese as they grow older (his family’s English is only so so). He plans to speak them in Portuguese when we do have them.

I speak English & French, so I’ll be taking over that end. I’ve read several times that pre/school-ages is the best time to learn different languages, I’m just wondering how do their little minds distinguish between it all?

I came across this Haitian grandmother with her 4 year old grandson and he spoke fluent English and French seamlessly lol. She said the bilingual day care she sent him to helps.

Our kids will be enrolled in private school where they teach in both English and French as well.

GlasgieBetty

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
530 33 7
Alleybux
My daughter is 3 months old and I want to start teaching her multiple languages. I speak German, Spanish, and my French/Arabic are shaky lol so I want to refresh myself as I teach her. The thing is, I want to teach her multiple languages so that once she is school aged, she’s got enough basic knowledge to possibly start speaking fluently.

From my understanding learning as a child is the best way to start but I’ve always done well with learning languages, even as an adult. What’s the best way to introduce all of them to her without overwhelming her and overwhelming myself? She already seems to enjoy responding in babble when I say something to her lol
Supporting this idea. It'll be more than fine.

Do with them and speak with them using other languages as you would in English (or whichever your preferred first language is). Translating everything isn't necessary nor would I advise it. E.g. point to your face and name the body parts in whichever language and they will know those are the words for that feature. Just...naturally raise them in those languages.

Their brains will sort through everything. No special methods needed. They will know vert from verde from green and eventually find their own comfort zones depending on the circumstances. At home they might end up speaking one or two but understanding all fluently anyway as long as there is the immersion or consistent exposure.

The overwhelming thing isn't a thing unless you plan on having structured classroom lessons with them because that's when pedagogy really has to be considered.

Ivysamara

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,315 358 13
Alleybux
I don’t have kids but I’m planning to speak dutch, English and French with them and my partner will speak English, Spanish and French with them

Enlightenment00

Practice Radical Empathy
Reaction score
Reactions
53,409 2,803 635
Alleybux
I took French in HS My husband took Spanish and we speak a little of both. Our daughter is two and speaks a little Spanish (most of her VTech learning toys have Spanish and English) She can also say Bonjour (so cute) she's mostly learning by hearing me helping both my daughters who are taking French and Spanish in school and the toys.

QueenKush

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,200 310 164
Alleybux
My boyfriend and his family try to speak mostly Vietnamese to my 2 year old. At first they were speak both Cantonese and Vietnamese and my father was speaking German to him but we became worried because he was slower to speak which is normal for children learning multiple languages but was still very worrisome to me so we cut it down to English and Vietnamese. He does speak it a little but his understanding of the language is better however he is only 2

Clara Barton

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
182,147 10,698 4,210
Alleybux
It's not too late. They can definitely catch up. I use Spanish phrases with my sons and we listen to Spanish music and podcasts. I feel a since of urgency living in the US because Spanish is becoming a necessity in the workplace. So if they learn it young they can be prepared later in life.

Thanks for the reinforcement. We need that as moms lol!

Parenting threads are where I hope for interactions because it’s still all so new

Didyme

Flat Tummy Teas
Reaction score
Reactions
93,199 5,056 1,399
Alleybux
One thing I wish we had taken more seriously is that if no one speaks English at home, they will need more reinforcement, whether that be at school or extracurricular.

We speak Mandarin and Metropolitan French at home and with family. English is for school and outside pursuits. We go to a lot of exhibits and programs related to his interests so he has an advanced English vocabulary in those areas, but suffers with everyday vocab and sometimes sentence structure, especially that used outside of the classroom.

We worked very hard to get him back to where he needs to be in English and he has a tutor to help now as well.

I know these are just growing pains though, but they are something to be aware of.

Nina Fortner

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,384 1,149 789
Alleybux
One thing I wish we had taken more seriously is that if no one speaks English at home, they will need more reinforcement, whether that be at school or extracurricular.

We speak Mandarin and Metropolitan French at home and with family. English is for school and outside pursuits. We go to a lot of exhibits and programs related to his interests so he has an advanced English vocabulary in those areas, but suffers with everyday vocab and sometimes sentence structure, especially that used outside of the classroom.

We worked very hard to get him back to where he needs to be in English and he has a tutor to help now as well.

I know these are just growing pains though, but they are something to be aware of.
That’s important my first language was Somali as a kid yet forgot how to speak it once I started school.

AfroGoddess

excessively black
Reaction score
Reactions
22,170 749 185
Alleybux
i'm so jealous. i only speak english so the most i'd be able to do it teach him to count to ten in spanish and portuguese. my husband can understand hindi but doesn't speak it well enough to teach anyone anything but curse words.

Enjolras

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
6,373 38 38
Alleybux
I speak to her and translate things already and we do our alphabet in different languages. I just hope I’m not overwhelming her and being counterproductive in the process.

Hi! I saw your comment and just wanted to share what I know in the hope that it will put your mind at ease a little.

Lots of times when kids learn 2 languages they initially appear to fall behind a little. Where they would be at 50% proficiency in both languages while their monolingual peers are at 75% for example, it might seem like they are not keeping up with their peers. Do not get discouraged by this! It’s nothing to worry about, and is only normal when you think about it, considering they’re processing twice the amount of information. It only looks like they’re falling behind though, because in reality they are at 2x50%=100% total proficiency, where their peers are only at 75% total.

Once the kids get a little older and reach 100% proficiency in both languages they will be at a total of 200% proficiency, where their monolingual peers will only be at 100%, and with that 200% they will have a generally easier time learning additional languages as well!

So if at any point you feel like you’re putting them at a disadvantage, don’t give up, don’t worry about them mixing up 2 languages in a single sentence, they’re figuring it out and will be at an advantage in no time!

Being raised bilingual is enormously beneficial for kids, so it’s important not to get discouraged! Kids love learning things, they do it everyday without even realising. Just go at a normal pace and incorporate both languages into everyday things and both languages will be picked up in no time.

Lifeiseazi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,591 506 447
Alleybux

I’m awaiting my little ones arrival. My husbands first language is Igbo so he will speak to our daughter in his native and I’ll speak to her in English. I also plan to teach her ASL while she’s a baby so we can communicate more easily and I would love to find someone that could teach her Spanish so she’s fluent in that as well.

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux

Are any of these languages relevant to your ethnicity? Why would this be important to a black person.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
trust me, you aren't confusing her. Just make sure that you are consistent in teaching and correcting her. Children are much more smarter than adults tend to think.

Last edited:

flytraphaus

Solange on the Elevator
Reaction score
Reactions
137,987 5,185 3,076
Alleybux
My nephew and niece are both learning Mandarin. We speak Spanish from our mom’s side.

The schools have started kids learning Mandarin from pre K

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,934 18,337 2,704
Alleybux

They're not overwhelmed. Kids are like sponges. You can switch between languages and they'll suck all of it up.

OctoberBlu

The Heiress
Reaction score
Reactions
73,678 1,863 306
Alleybux
I don't want kids, but if I did have some I'd teach them a foreign language. I wish I had learned a foreign language. I learned how to count to ten in Spanish because of Sesame Street/PBS lol. I also suggest that you enroll you child in some sort of language immersion school. Even a preschool can give them a head start. It might also help to make sure they have diverse friends that speak other languages as well.

OctoberBlu

The Heiress
Reaction score
Reactions
73,678 1,863 306
Alleybux
Are any of these languages relevant to your ethnicity? Why would this be important to a black person.

The language doesn't have to be culturally relevant. Being bilingual can be beneficial for a career or for something fun like travel and being able to connect to people. There are also Black/African people that speak these languages because their home country was ruled by another country at one point or they are Afro-Latino for example. Also OP and her husband could be from multicultural backgrounds.

Kmissa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,606 302 82
Alleybux

Do you have other family members and what language does your partner speak? My friend’s kids are trilingual and this is how she does it. Her husband only speaks to kids in German (they had a German speaking nanny for a tiny amount of time, too), she speaks English only and her parents speak Nepali only with the kids. He’s 3 now and she has a 1 year old, too. Good luck.

LolaMay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,722 2,154 2,301
Alleybux

Teaching her more than 3 languages will overwhelm your daughter. Start with one-two and stick to it for a few years.

Start with two languages first, then add a 3rd.

Last edited:

froggyluv2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
114,510 5,607 5,179
Alleybux

My initial specialization in education was in linguistics to put it in it's most basic terms.

To put it into laymen's terms, Infants have a limitless potential for the development of language provided they are fully immersed within that language. As children grow, that capacity decreases with a greater focus placed upon the language in which they receive the most exposure. As a result, it has been found that there is always a primary language in which the individual has native fluency and then secondary languages. Most humans will not be equally fluent in all languages (akin to native speaker fluency) and what many associate as fluency actually has varying degrees of proficiency across spoken and written areas.

All of the above means that your infant/toddler came into this world having the capacity to learn any language. That capacity is necessary for their social development among humans. Many people mistake that capacity for all languages for the idea that it means that they can acquire native fluency in multiple languages. No. The language in which they receive the most exposure will become their primary language and all other languages will be their secondary languages.

You therefore have to consider a number of factors related to their education. After all, if they will be educated in an English speaking environment throughout their formal education, you have to consider if there is a benefit in having their primary language (the one in which they will likely be most proficient/have native fluency) be one that differs from the language in which they will receive the bulk of their formal education. Please remember that in the U.S., any child whose first language is not English will be categorized as requiring ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) services which is considered a special program and they will be regarded as an ELL (English Language Learner) throughout their K-12 education.

I personally believe that it's always best to ensure the child's primary language matches up with the language in which they will receive the bulk of their education. If that's in a French speaking educational system, then let it be French. If it's in an English speaking educational system, then let it be English.

In addition to that, when it comes to true fluency (akin to a native speaker) I would shoot for max two languages to focus upon. There's been some peer reviewed research indicating that multiple languages can lead to delayed language acquisition as the child's learning is focused between multiple language structures.

Another component is your own fluency. In truth, can you say that you're absolutely fluent (akin to being a native speaker) in all of the languages that you speak?

Keep in mind that you will only pass on about 30-50% of the fluency which you yourself have in any given language because you will be providing the sole means of instruction for your child. Language is not learned in a vacuum with one person providing instruction but instead absorbed through a variety of means including hearing it passively in one's larger external environment. Babies pick up language not just from their primary caregivers but their general environment---the words spoken that they hear in public venues, songs, TV, etc.

Finally, to a lesser degree, we have the social aspect. Language is first and foremost about communication. To that end, the individual--in this case the child, makes the final choice.

I cannot tell you the amount of parents who have a desire for their child to learn the parent's primary language but the children instead chooses not to speak or engage with the language despite every attempt. Why? It can be spoken at home but once the child reaches the space of the public sphere (the world outside of their home which includes school and the general community) they will generally seek to be like their friends and their community. Language is about communication and...community. Children have a very functional relationship to language and they will maintain that functional relationship all throughout their concrete operational years (birth to around 11-12). It is only once they have reached the formal operational stage that they will begin to associate language as symbol and culture. This is why the traditional language curriculum begins in middle school.

The idea that we can immerse a child in a language pre-K-6 and then have the child emerge as fluent in a way similar to that of a native speaker is relatively new and some would say falling flat on it's face.

The idea of immersion schools ignores the fact that while yes, there is infinite possibility to acquire language during the formative years which also coincides with the concrete operational stage, up until a certain period of life, children view language in it's most basic functional purposes----to communicate need and affiliation with and within social groups.

The researchers who felt that immersion programs could work at the pre-k thru 6 level forgot one very important element to all of it: need. Immersion works when a child is completely and without relief immersed within both the language and its culture. This is why many children who grow up in isolated Spanish speaking communities within the U.S. end up having the same level of fluency as their parents who immigrated from Spanish speaking countries as adults. They are completely immersed within the language not only in the home but in the public space as well. This is also why those same children often struggle in ESOL programs----ESOL is basically an English immersion program and immersion does not work when the child is receiving instruction for 3-4 hours a day and then going home or out into their community and experiencing the fullness of a completely different language. There is no need for the immersion language that plays out in real time within the child's life.

Now that's with a school environment.

Bringing it back to your specific situation, you're talking about being the primary instructor of multiple languages and it's not clear if you have any backups (family, community, etc.) to further underscore that language instruction.

Given that, I would again keep it to two max with the primary language being that in which the child will receive the bulk of their education. More than two? There is a high possibility that rather than fluency the child will merge the languages in a fashion similar to Spanglish and often will reach a ceiling in terms of overall fluency in any language including that which would be categorized as their "primary". I would also attempt to keep the languages similar in structure.

Good luck!

Weave Wonder

Come Correct if you Groan!
Reaction score
Reactions
56,196 2,458 449
Alleybux
When my husband and I have kids, we plan on teaching them English and Spanish simultaneously. He's Cuban, grew up in Miami and learned Spanish as a first language, so I think it would be useful for our future children to also speak the language fluently. Some of his family members don't speak English at all and my Spanish level is still beginner, but I can carry on a conversation.

pet

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Reactions
51,464 2,344 2,173
Alleybux
Yes! But English should be their first language because it is and will continue to be the universal language of choice. If you want to teach your child the languages that will probably be the top spoken in the future, teach them English, Spanish, Mandarin and Russian. After that, consider languages like French and Arabic!

lurking222

My name is Star & I sell poop jars to afford McD’s
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
37,289 1,515 83
Alleybux
you might want to start with teaching her esperanto. it's an auxillary language that's relatively easy to learn and they've done studies on it showing that once you learn it it becomes that much easier to learn additional languages because it sets up that type of learning in your brain if that makes sense.

The results showed that the pupils achieved enhanced metalinguistic awareness.[92] Similar studies have been conducted in New Zealand,[93] the United States,[94][95][96] Germany,[97] Italy[98] and Australia.[99] The results of these studies were favorable and demonstrated that studying Esperanto before another foreign language expedites the acquisition of the other, natural language. This appears to be because learning subsequent foreign languages is easier than learning one's first foreign language, whereas the use of a grammatically simple and culturally flexible auxiliary language like Esperanto lessens the first-language learning hurdle.[citation needed] In one study,[100] a group of European secondary school students studied Esperanto for one year, then French for three years, and ended up with a significantly better command of French than a control group, who studied French for the entire four-year period.

TitsMcGhee

Corona Coochie
Reaction score
Reactions
177,906 2,441 813
Alleybux
Supporting this idea. It'll be more than fine.

Do with them and speak with them using other languages as you would in English (or whichever your preferred first language is). Translating everything isn't necessary nor would I advise it. E.g. point to your face and name the body parts in whichever language and they will know those are the words for that feature. Just...naturally raise them in those languages.

Their brains will sort through everything. No special methods needed. They will know vert from verde from green and eventually find their own comfort zones depending on the circumstances. At home they might end up speaking one or two but understanding all fluently anyway as long as there is the immersion or consistent exposure.

The overwhelming thing isn't a thing unless you plan on having structured classroom lessons with them because that's when pedagogy really has to be considered.
Thank you so much. I think being an adult complicates it all because we know of concepts like distinction and different languages whereas kids are just learning as they go. I feel much better now and she’s starting to respond in non verbal ways when I speak Spanish and German to her.

Ernada

High IQ-ER KO's Kangaroo
Reaction score
Reactions
237,394 21,161 10,192
Alleybux
I'm gonna go against the grain of the thread.

I would not do this.
Why?
Studies I've read show children who speak multiple languages have greater vocabulary in MULTIPLE languages but a shrunken English vocabulary.

Having many sister's who are teachers they see the way the bilingual children tend to struggle much worse in learning advanced concepts. Usually the bilingual kids are at the bottom of the class including the Spanish and French immersion ones, same for Chinese.

I' rather my child master English, Math and core subjects than learn a 2nd language early on and struggle the rest of school.

TitsMcGhee

Corona Coochie
Reaction score
Reactions
177,906 2,441 813
Alleybux
Do you have other family members and what language does your partner speak? My friend’s kids are trilingual and this is how she does it. Her husband only speaks to kids in German (they had a German speaking nanny for a tiny amount of time, too), she speaks English only and her parents speak Nepali only with the kids. He’s 3 now and she has a 1 year old, too. Good luck.
No my family thinks I’m some kinda unicorn for speaking multiple languages lol. My husband’s cousin is fluent in Spanish but we don’t see her that often. My husband only speaks English but hopefully he’s picking up things as I talk to her.
Teaching her more than 3 languages will overwhelm your daughter. Start with one-two and stick to it for a few years.

Start with two languages first, then add a 3rd.
I’ve honestly only been consistent with the German and Spanish since those are the two that I’m most fluent in. She’s responding fairly well so I think I’ll stop there until she’s a little older.

TitsMcGhee

Corona Coochie
Reaction score
Reactions
177,906 2,441 813
Alleybux
My initial specialization in education was in linguistics to put it in it's most basic terms.

To put it into laymen's terms, Infants have a limitless potential for the development of language provided they are fully immersed within that language. As children grow, that capacity decreases with a greater focus placed upon the language in which they receive the most exposure. As a result, it has been found that there is always a primary language in which the individual has native fluency and then secondary languages. Most humans will not be equally fluent in all languages (akin to native speaker fluency) and what many associate as fluency actually has varying degrees of proficiency across spoken and written areas.

All of the above means that your infant/toddler came into this world having the capacity to learn any language. That capacity is necessary for their social development among humans. Many people mistake that capacity for all languages for the idea that it means that they can acquire native fluency in multiple languages. No. The language in which they receive the most exposure will become their primary language and all other languages will be their secondary languages.

You therefore have to consider a number of factors related to their education. After all, if they will be educated in an English speaking environment throughout their formal education, you have to consider if there is a benefit in having their primary language (the one in which they will likely be most proficient/have native fluency) be one that differs from the language in which they will receive the bulk of their formal education. Please remember that in the U.S., any child whose first language is not English will be categorized as requiring ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) services which is considered a special program and they will be regarded as an ELL (English Language Learner) throughout their K-12 education.

I personally believe that it's always best to ensure the child's primary language matches up with the language in which they will receive the bulk of their education. If that's in a French speaking educational system, then let it be French. If it's in an English speaking educational system, then let it be English.

In addition to that, when it comes to true fluency (akin to a native speaker) I would shoot for max two languages to focus upon. There's been some peer reviewed research indicating that multiple languages can lead to delayed language acquisition as the child's learning is focused between multiple language structures.

Another component is your own fluency. In truth, can you say that you're absolutely fluent (akin to being a native speaker) in all of the languages that you speak?

Keep in mind that you will only pass on about 30-50% of the fluency which you yourself have in any given language because you will be providing the sole means of instruction for your child. Language is not learned in a vacuum with one person providing instruction but instead absorbed through a variety of means including hearing it passively in one's larger external environment. Babies pick up language not just from their primary caregivers but their general environment---the words spoken that they hear in public venues, songs, TV, etc.

Finally, to a lesser degree, we have the social aspect. Language is first and foremost about communication. To that end, the individual--in this case the child, makes the final choice.

I cannot tell you the amount of parents who have a desire for their child to learn the parent's primary language but the children instead chooses not to speak or engage with the language despite every attempt. Why? It can be spoken at home but once the child reaches the space of the public sphere (the world outside of their home which includes school and the general community) they will generally seek to be like their friends and their community. Language is about communication and...community. Children have a very functional relationship to language and they will maintain that functional relationship all throughout their concrete operational years (birth to around 11-12). It is only once they have reached the formal operational stage that they will begin to associate language as symbol and culture. This is why the traditional language curriculum begins in middle school.

The idea that we can immerse a child in a language pre-K-6 and then have the child emerge as fluent in a way similar to that of a native speaker is relatively new and some would say falling flat on it's face.

The idea of immersion schools ignores the fact that while yes, there is infinite possibility to acquire language during the formative years which also coincides with the concrete operational stage, up until a certain period of life, children view language in it's most basic functional purposes----to communicate need and affiliation with and within social groups.

The researchers who felt that immersion programs could work at the pre-k thru 6 level forgot one very important element to all of it: need. Immersion works when a child is completely and without relief immersed within both the language and its culture. This is why many children who grow up in isolated Spanish speaking communities within the U.S. end up having the same level of fluency as their parents who immigrated from Spanish speaking countries as adults. They are completely immersed within the language not only in the home but in the public space as well. This is also why those same children often struggle in ESOL programs----ESOL is basically an English immersion program and immersion does not work when the child is receiving instruction for 3-4 hours a day and then going home or out into their community and experiencing the fullness of a completely different language. There is no need for the immersion language that plays out in real time within the child's life.

Now that's with a school environment.

Bringing it back to your specific situation, you're talking about being the primary instructor of multiple languages and it's not clear if you have any backups (family, community, etc.) to further underscore that language instruction.

Given that, I would again keep it to two max with the primary language being that in which the child will receive the bulk of their education. More than two? There is a high possibility that rather than fluency the child will merge the languages in a fashion similar to Spanglish and often will reach a ceiling in terms of overall fluency in any language including that which would be categorized as their "primary". I would also attempt to keep the languages similar in structure.

Good luck!
I hadn’t even considered her educational environment and how that will affect her learning. Thank you for presenting the research as well!