Quantcast

Are there any black people in Alaska?

Reaction score
Reactions
6,856 274 235
Alleybux
A few years back the mayor of Anchorage was black. I had a childhood friend who taught school in Sitka, Alaska. The salaries in that state are very high in comparison, to attract people to the harsh climate. You can still homestead in Alaska. I remember reading about a black woman from Chicago who moved to homestead and give her son some land. You have to be able to adjust to an arctic climate, which means long COLD nights (to -60F) and limited daylight in winter. The summers are beautiful and have long days (the midnight sun). Can you adjust? If so, you will be paid very well (possibly 6 figures).

PSCK

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,983 294 112
Alleybux
A few years back the mayor of Anchorage was black. I had a childhood friend who taught school in Sitka, Alaska. The salaries in that state are very high in comparison, to attract people to the harsh climate. You can still homestead in Alaska. I remember reading about a black woman from Chicago who moved to homestead and give her son some land. You have to be able to adjust to an arctic climate, which means long COLD nights (to -60F) and limited daylight in winter. The summers are beautiful and have long days (the midnight sun). Can you adjust? If so, you will be paid very well (possibly 6 figures).
It will definitely appeal to someone who's willing to sacrifice nice weather for a cheque. At the same time you can go to somewhere like Dubai and get a big cheque, warm weather etc tax free

Psalm

I groan back and sometimes I do so viciously
Reaction score
Reactions
283,912 18,832 4,093
Alleybux
Not for me. It’s noted that Alaska is one of the most haunted states and highest in suicides.

Ground Fleur

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,198 75 3
Alleybux
I was stationed at Ft. Wainwright for 4 years. I just remember other black service members and a surprising little Panamanian community up there (I'm Panamanian). It was an experience. My children were born up there. I will never go back though lol