Quantcast

Black Women That DON'T Listen To Rap Music??

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
Ya'll I really don't listen to rap music at all. I just listened to the "Feelin' Myself" playlist on Spotify and I was just...floored.

I have tons of R&B in my playlist. Tons of Afrobeats. Tons of indie music. A little bit of reggaeton but no rap music.

I had no idea who Polo G and Flo Milli were until legitimately yesterday.

Am I the only black woman like this? I have no idea who these new rappers are and I just sip my tea listening to R&B beats. I'm not really here to enterain music like "Thot Lyfe" and "Hot P*ssy sh!t" like...it's just not me. Black music comes in all shapes and sizes but my opinions on rap music has significantly declined as I've gotten older (I'm 25 right now).

No disrespect to any girlies that do! Just wanted to know if anyone else has my taste.

As well, let me know who ya'll are listening to in the comments!

Last edited:

Metaphysique

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,065 696 303
Alleybux
I’m biracial. I don’t actively listen to it. Like, I can recognize songs, and I’ve played some songs here and there that I like, but that is very, very rare. I don’t have any playlists with rap. I don’t own any rap.

Neither does my mom (Black), at least newer stuff. I know she may occasionally listen to old school hip hop and rap cira 90s and early aughts. But rap just isn’t a genre I actively listen to, and it’s been that way since the late 90s.

My top genres that I’ve always listened to the most:

Epic/cinematic orchestral and contemporary classical (film scores and music produced for film and video game trailers/soundtracks)
Rock, alternative, grunge
Indie soul, rock, pop
Electronic (Daft Punk, et al.)
Blues
Pop
Jazz
Kpop/rock (my teenagers definitely got me listening to it)

Currently listening to Civil Twilight.

Last edited:

Legs

Don’t talk to me. Thanks.
Reaction score
Reactions
444,355 11,281 1,506
Alleybux
No. All black women listen to rap music. We all have the same interests and do the same things.

You are indeed the only black woman on the planet who doesn’t listen to rap music.

pray2barret

Rookie
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
282 39 10
Alleybux
thats crazy, you are so much more cultured than us! please tell us more so we can fawn over your excellent taste :D:D

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
I’m biracial. I don’t actively listen to it. Like, I can recognize songs, and I’ve played some songs here and there that I like, but that is very, very rare. I don’t have any playlists with rap. I don’t own any rap.

Neither does my mom (Black), at least newer stuff. I know she may occasionally listen to old school hip hop and rap cira 90s and early aughts. But rap just isn’t a genre I actively listen to, and it’s been that way since the late 90s.
When I was growing up my mom ACTIVELY avoided rap music. Tbh my mom and my dad. My brother, however, obsessed over it and "gang culture". Didn't end well for him.

I still vibe with old school rap music but nowadays I just can't get into it. I don't understand the appeal of sounding like you can't pronounce your words correctly. A lot of rap music is bogus.

luckygirl93

Caramel Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
407,760 21,358 16,214
Alleybux
Me, I’ll be 27 this year and prefer to listen to 90’s or early to mid 2000 r&b or rock music. A lot of people think I must be whitewashed because I don’t like rap music. But there’s numerous reasons why I don’t like rap music. The main one is most of it is bs and trash and very demonic.

Hugs and Kisses

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,280 7,565 7,493
Alleybux
So in place of you guys having a thread about a dark skinned Black female singer in the industry receive more than two replies, you want to make threads about things that you say do not interest you? That is exactly people online are going to continue screaming about the same things

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
So in place of you guys having a thread about a dark skinned Black female singer in the industry receive more than two replies, you want to make threads about things that you say do not interest you? That is exactly people online are going to continue screaming about the same things
What? What are you talking about? If this doesn't pertain to you then just move along. No bad blood here.

Last edited:

HotDamn

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
214,793 7,909 741
Alleybux
fSHzwYq.gif

Oniyah

אניה
Reaction score
Reactions
25,960 681 94
Alleybux
No, ja rules ex wife/50 cent…you are not the only one.
I assume this question is rhetorical or in your 25 years of wisdom you have just gained the knowledge that the rap music you’re fed is trash.

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
Me, I’ll be 27 this year and prefer to listen to 90’s or early to mid 2000 r&b or rock music. A lot of people think I must be whitewashed because I don’t like rap music. But there’s numerous reasons why I don’t like rap music. The main one is most of it is bs and trash and very demonic.
Yes!! I highlighted the word "demonic".

I asked myself yesterday- Is there any other music genre that preaches violence as much as rap music does? And no matter how you address it the majority of rappers are black men and this is a demonic influence in our community.

I'm trying to find the song I heard yesterday. Headshot by Lil Tjay. Here are the lyrics:

"
Embracin' the way of livin', I was runnin' through the field dumb
Couple ****** disrespected, we done killed them
Keep a shooter, they don't see he my lil' one
30 shots, we ain't into using lil' guns
***** talkin' like he know me, he my real son
Rap beef, fµck the cap, I'ma drill some"

And that's just one of the many violent songs I heard listening to RapCaviar on Spotify. And when it came to women, the lyrics are (Cardi B- UP):

"Tell that b!tch, "Back, back, " breath smell like horse xes (ha)
Put it on him now, he will never be the same (he won't)
Tatt'ed on my ass 'cause I really like the pain (ah)
He nutted on my butt, I said, "I'm glad that you came"
If that ***** had a twin, I would let 'em run a train, woo (skrrt)"

As women we are overly objectified and over-sexualized in rap music. It teaches us that that's what our worth is. I'd much much rather listen to higher-vibrational music from our own people.

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
No, ja rules ex wife/50 cent…you are not the only one.
I assume this question is rhetorical or in your 25 years of wisdom you have just gained the knowledge that the rap music you’re fed is trash.
No but here's my issue with LSA = why the snarky comments or the shade? If this topic doesn't pertain to you then move along. I already said as I grew OLDER rap music doesn't resonate with me anymore.

If it were rhetorical then why would I make a thread. Let's have a genuine discussion without the sass and attitude.

LoveSupreme

01/06/21 - Planet of the Apes Day -
Reaction score
Reactions
134,305 8,452 7,808
Alleybux
My nieces don’t listen to it.

They are mostly into electronica, pop, world music and oldies.

Many of these young women want romance. Phugg boi/girl music offends their sensibilities.

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
No. All black women listen to rap music. We all have the same interests and do the same things.

You are indeed the only black woman on the planet who doesn’t listen to rap music.
LSA is the home of "group-think" so idk your sarcasm falls flat for me. If the thread doesn't pertain to you then you really don't have to comment.

No disrespect to you I'm just looking for a genuine discussion whether you listen to rap music or not.

Oniyah

אניה
Reaction score
Reactions
25,960 681 94
Alleybux
No but here's my issue with LSA = why the snarky comments or the shade? If this topic doesn't pertain to you then move along. I already said as I grew OLDER rap music doesn't resonate with me anymore.

If it were rhetorical then why would I make a thread. Let's have a genuine discussion without the sass and attitude.
As we grow up and come into truths, we assume we’re the only one who knows anything or who thinks the way we do. Surely you didn’t believe you’re the only black woman who doesn’t listen to rap, and that’s why you got the responses that you did. The question was rhetorical because you already knew the answer. :)

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
As we grow up and come into truths, we assume we’re the only one who knows anything or who thinks the way we do. Surely you didn’t believe you’re the only black woman who doesn’t listen to rap, and that’s why you got the responses that you did. The question was rhetorical because you already knew the answer. :)
Okay I understand you know. That wasn't my intent but I understand that with typing and the internet things can come across the wrong way. Let me re-phrase myself then:

I'm looking to find other black women such as myself that do not fool around with rap music. I'm positive they exist, I'm just trying to find them since I couldn't find a thread on this topic already.

P.S - I say "black women" because I know that white/latinas buy and play into rap music, however the influence of rap does not affect them the same way it affects black communities. I'm looking for others like ME.

Glamourgal07

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,993 1,276 465
Alleybux
I listen to every genre.
The only time I listen to current low vibrational rap is if I'm in a club or drunk.

My favourite kind of rap is the more conscious stuff - infact many of my fave rappers aren't even mainstream. I love many of the rappers Nujabes collaborated with on his productions for example, like:

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
I listen to every genre.
The only time I listen to current low vibrational rap is if I'm in a club or drunk.

My favourite kind of rap is the more conscious stuff - infact many of my fave rappers aren't even mainstream. I love many of the rappers Nujabes collaborated with on his productions for example, like:

I fµck!ng love Nujabes. R.I.P to a mastermind.

wanderlost

not all who, are
Reaction score
Reactions
4,668 62 8
Alleybux
I was a little hesitant to reply because I can't tell if this is a serious post or not. But anyhoo... I had a strange upbringing, and remember word for word thinking and saying things like this when I was a teenager. However, at that point in my life I was literally attending an almost all-white boarding school with gospel as the only black musical influence around me. I left that place with a very skewed perspective of myself and my culture.

I have done some growing up since then, and taken the time to try and reverse some of that damage from the past. Sure, some rap music may have violence or misogyny in it but so can metal, country, R&B, pop, soca - it's (sadly) an industry-wide problem. However there are reasons the world is so quick to condemn it from a genre which centres the black experience, yet can ignore the same issues from other places.

Social media is now also bigger than it was back then, and it's been both humbling and really fun to discover literally thousands of other black women with alternative interests who are out there doing their thing. You're a bit younger than me, so I'm sure you have a social media presence and can seek out things like this too. I agree with others who have commented, in that I'm not sure how anybody can feel they are the only black person who does or likes X in this day and age.

Finally, I would like to recommend some rap artists who probably wouldn't make a RapCaviar playlist but are incredible artists in their own right. Kojey Radical, Little Sims, Chika, NoName and Lady Leshurr. Particularly Kojey Radical. There are wonderful and thought-provoking rappers making waves out there, you just need to move past the hurdle of "all rap music is X" and seek out the gems for yourself. If you really can't move past it then maybe spoken word might be for you instead (try City Girl Poem by Twilight Prince).

Stay blessed x

Cal Bear

City of San Diego
Reaction score
Reactions
84,307 2,923 1,712
Alleybux
I don't either and haven't in a long time. I did listen to Cam's last album that he put out last year. I'm much more disgusted by the ignorance, but there was quite a bit of good songs on it.

I listen to R&B, Funk and Soul. I wish I could find some new artists. The only artist that I listen to that continues to make new music is Raheem Devaughn.

50Cynthia

Ja Rule's Ex Wife
Reaction score
Reactions
43,451 3,204 2,519
Alleybux
I don't either and haven't in a long time. I did listen to Cam's last album that he put out last year. I'm much more disgusted by the ignorance, but there was quite a bit of good songs on it.

I listen to R&B, Funk and Soul. I wish I could find some new artists. The only artist that I listen to that continues to make new music is Raheem Devaughn.
Do you have a spotify? There are a ton of new artists out that are making fine R&B. Spotify and Apple Music makes ut easy to find newer artists. Try Lucky Daye for starters.