Quantcast

Are there any women (or men I guess) that converted to Islam from another religion?

Marie Boston

Aboriginal Perfection & Clairvoyant Reader
Reaction score
Reactions
161,118 8,595 4,648
Alleybux
I converted but once I started going to Jumah on Fridays and seeing them praying with prayer beads I stopped going. Prayer beads is straight out of Catholicism. Plus I didn't like the strict regimen. Men in front, women in back. Covered up like Catholic nuns. I was attracted to the faith due to their solidarity but once I got in I just got the feel of Catholic copy cat. Although I did appreciate and liked the speaking of the Iman.

This is what is was for "Me." I really don't need any Muslims attacking Me in regard to the faith. It just was not for Me. Now I am just "Spiritual."

Ports and Slims

Pipe It Down 'Fore I Whoop You Like Yo Mama Do
Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
I'm Christian, but my husband is Muslim and my father in law is an imam. We've been together a decade, so I've had quite some time to learn about the religion and go to jumah. I will say respectfully, it is a very interesting religion and I love to study it, but it is not the religion for me (I kind of feel the same about Christianity as I get older). I'm more at a place where my belief and faith in God is more important than organized religion. We have two daughters and I try to expose them to both faiths equally a) so they don't feel like we're pressuring them to choose and b) because both religions are apart of who they are. I don't care what religion they choose ultimately, I just want them to believe in a higher power.

ElizabethKane

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,591 665 1,275
Alleybux
I converted but once I started going to Jumah on Fridays and seeing them praying with prayer beads I stopped going. Prayer beads is straight out of Catholicism. Plus I didn't like the strict regimen. Men in front, women in back. Covered up like Catholic nuns. I was attracted to the faith due to their solidarity but once I got in I just got the feel of Catholic copy cat. Although I did appreciate and liked the speaking of the Iman.

This is what is was for "Me." I really don't need any Muslims attacking Me in regard to the faith. It just was not for Me. Now I am just "Spiritual."

What is the purpose of prayer beads?

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,597 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
I haven't and wouldn't.

I remember when I was in undergraduate school, one of my [white, twenty-something] classmates came back from a break wearing a hood or burqua or rag on her head or whatever they're called, talking about she'd married a muslim guy and converted.

We looked at her like she was a goddamn fool.

ElizabethKane

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,591 665 1,275
Alleybux
I'm Christian, but my husband is Muslim and my father in law is an imam. We've been together a decade, so I've had quite some time to learn about the religion and go to jumah. I will say respectfully, it is a very interesting religion and I love to study it, but it is not the religion for me (I kind of feel the same about Christianity as I get older). I'm more at a place where my belief and faith in God is more important than organized religion. We have two daughters and I try to expose them to both faiths equally a) so they don't feel like we're pressuring them to choose and b) because both religions are apart of who they are. I don't care what religion they choose ultimately, I just want them to believe in a higher power.

What do you find interesting about Islam?

Why is it not for you?

You dont have to answer. I am just curious.

Reaction score
Reactions
14,991 40 20
Alleybux
One of my friends converted and she is the happiest she's ever been. She finds alot of peace in the religion and she's changed from taking coke and stealing into a woman who actually cares about her life and career.

Reaction score
Reactions
14,991 40 20
Alleybux
I haven't and wouldn't.

I remember when I was in undergraduate school, one of my [white, twenty-something] classmates came back from a break wearing a hood or burqua or rag on her head or whatever they're called, talking about she'd married a muslim guy and converted.

Just because she converted for the D doesn't mean the whole religion is fµcked up.

Wizkid Ayo

S T A R B O Y
Reaction score
Reactions
37,139 472 144
Alleybux
I haven't and wouldn't.

You sound ignorant as sh!t. I wouldn't convert either but I'm not about I clown peoples religion.

Sneetches

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,760 5 29
Alleybux
my fiancée wanted me, and in her heart I know she still wants me to convert to Islam, but its not for me. I don't like organized religion to begin with and Islam is even more strict than being an evangelical Christian per how I was raised (I do not identify with religion). Islam has some good principles but its very old school in traditional thinking of men and women's roles, as well as having some very focked up ideas about what you can and can't do (as for normal for organized religion), not to mention having the traditional religious mind set that only they are right in their belief system and everyone else is going to hell. the truth is Islam is just another religion that split off from the core Christian beliefs just like Judism, Catholicism, and modern day Christianity. the core value system is the same, the belief in the same God is the same, its just some changing of rules and creating some different profits to separate your religion from another one, and arguing over if Jesus is the son of God (Islam beliefs him to not be the son of God), and or whether or not he has come back to earth already.

however, if Islam is for you, then more power to you. just like my love, I support. its just not for me.

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,597 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
You sound ignorant as sh!t. I wouldn't convert either but I'm not about I clown peoples religion.

I'm supposed to care how you think I sound?

Interesting. I never knew I was supposed to give a good goddamn about the opinion of a complete stranger on the internet.

So yeah, that's new.

:disdain:

fµck how you think I sound. I don't fµck!ng know you.

Ports and Slims

Pipe It Down 'Fore I Whoop You Like Yo Mama Do
Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux

What do you find interesting about Islam?

Why is it not for you?

You dont have to answer. I am just curious.

I think what I find most interesting is the similarities in Islam and Christianity. I think the misconceptions surrounding the religion are interesting as well. For example, I've heard people (usually Christians) say that Muslims don't believe in Jesus. Not true. He is considered a prophet, just not the son of Jesus. Also, people will say Allah is not God. Also untrue. The stories in the Koran are interesting to me and I like the Arabic language. I think it's really dope lol. I love how accepting most of them are, regarding believers of other faiths.

What I think makes it not for me, is the need to require the women to cover so much for modesty. I believe if God created your body and we are born nude, I shouldn't have to cover SO much to exercise modesty. Also, with the women sitting behind the men at jumah: I was told that it happens that way so that the men won't be tempted to look at the women. I don't think religion should cater to the weakness of the flesh. I have to cover up AND sit behind you so you won't get turned on? I also dislike the reasoning behind not eating pork. Chickens eat their own feces and we eat that, so I'm not sure where the "dirtiness" comes from. Pigs were trained to be sewage systems, that's not what God created them for.

I talked to my father in law one day and he said the most beautiful thing to me: after talking to him about being on a journey to find the right religion for me, he said "you may find one that works for you and you may not. But what is important is that you believe. Muslim means 'believer' and since you believe, you're already a Muslim. Maybe not in title, but definitely in heart and spirit". Also, the masjid has free wifi and the collection plate is outside, so I dont feel pressured lololololol

Wizkid Ayo

S T A R B O Y
Reaction score
Reactions
37,139 472 144
Alleybux
I'm supposed to care how you think I sound?

Interesting. I never knew I was supposed to give a good goddamn about the opinion of a complete stranger on the internet.

So yeah, that's new.

:disdain:

fµck how you think I sound. I don't fµck!ng know you.

If you didn't care you wouldn't have dignified this with a response. You're obviously pressed. Bye b!tch!

ElizabethKane

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,591 665 1,275
Alleybux
my fiancée wanted me, and in her heart I know she still wants me to convert to Islam, but its not for me. I don't like organized religion to begin with and Islam is even more strict than being an evangelical Christian per how I was raised (I do not identify with religion). Islam has some good principles but its very old school in traditional thinking of men and women's roles, as well as having some very focked up ideas about what you can and can't do (as for normal for organized religion), not to mention having the traditional religious mind set that only they are right in their belief system and everyone else is going to hell. the truth is Islam is just another religion that split off from the core Christian beliefs just like Judism, Catholicism, and modern day Christianity. the core value system is the same, the belief in the same God is the same, its just some changing of rules and creating some different profits to separate your religion from another one, and arguing over if Jesus is the son of God (Islam beliefs him to not be the son of God), and or whether or not he has come back to earth already.

however, if Islam is for you, then more power to you. just like my love, I support. its just not for me.

Are you two women together? If so, how does your fiancee merge her sexuality with Islam?

Oriana Badgley

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
125 9 6
Alleybux
I was born and raised as a Shi'a Muslim but my mother converted to Islam when she married my dad. She was raised catholic as was my dad's dad. It's a religion of peace. We are not the violent terrorists Western Society has made us out to be.

Oriana Badgley

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
125 9 6
Alleybux

Something about praying a certain amount of times one prayer. I think. Not sure. I really don't recall what he said to be honest with you.

Yeah, they are called subha and are used to help count recitations and to concentrate during personal prayer. You touch one bead per word you recite.

Marie Boston

Reaction score
Reactions
161,118 8,595 4,648
Alleybux
Yeah, they are called subha and are used to help count recitations and to concentrate during personal prayer. You touch one bead per word you recite.

Yes that's it!!

Anyone with a brain knows that Islam is not about war and terror but peace. Only the extreme morph it into something that it is not meant to be.

For instance, at Jumah the Iman spoke of plural marriage and how some members of the faith were taking this way out of context and should not engage in this practice in order to mistreat and abuse women and how they should not take on plural marriages if they cannot care for all the women and respect them highly. He was offended by the extremists distorting this part of the faith. Distorting, abusing and disrespecting the faith and the women.

Crissy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
11,639 740 25
Alleybux
Can gay people claim they're Muslim? I know somebody whose daughter claims she's Muslim but she's a big ole dy. Ke!! with Wacka Flacka hairstyle and dresses like Bow Wow.

Does the mosque allow that sh!t?

Sent from my 80's brick phone using Tapatalk

Enyo

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,041 36 18
Alleybux

Having been educated in Catholic schools and being an ex-Muslim allows me to declare that they are as far apart as can be. A few examples/facts:

1. Beads are not limited to Catholics and Muslims. Buddhists, American Indians, and Hindus also use prayer beads and ancient Egyptians did too. In Islam, there are certain phrases that you need to say 99 times to make them valid and that's what the dhikr beads are there for. Nothing else. The Catholic rosary is a method of declaring your faith and allegiance to the Holy Virgin, Jesus, the Catholic Church (you actually say this at the start of the rosary), a request for Jesus and Mary for intercession, and to meditate on the life and death of Jesus.

2. Number #1 is important because Muslims find everything the rosary means to be horribly offensive save thinking about life and death of Jesus. Allegiance to anyone but Allah, the request for intersession from humans, and the rest of it is considered "shirk" which means a straight ticket to hell.

3. Covering is a part of all Abrahamic faiths. It certainly did not start with Catholics. Married Orthodox Jewish women don't show their real hair in public and all females wear long skirts with shirts that have to be above their collarbone and below the elbow. Jews were here way before Muslims and Christians. Covering is in the quran, but I highly doubt that Muhammad and his people even knew what a Catholic was.

4. Icons of any kind are not allowed in Islam and Catholics love them and put them up everywhere.

5. The idea of confessing sins to anyone but Allah offends the Muslim idea that only Allah can help.

6. There is no original sin in Islam.

7. Muslims can get a divorce and space their children as they see fit.

There is more, but yeah, nothing similar at all about these two traditions.

Enyo

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,041 36 18
Alleybux
That is how "I" perceived it. I didn't say that is how it was.

Yes, I understood what you mean, but I did want illustrate that your perception was off in case someone else read what you said and believed it to be true.

Marie Boston

Reaction score
Reactions
161,118 8,595 4,648
Alleybux
Yes, I understood what you mean, but I did want illustrate that your perception was off in case someone else read what you said and believed it to be true.

I understand. No problem. :)