Are we still pretending.....

pettylamarr

unfriendly black nerd
Reaction score
Reactions
14,602 361 53
Alleybux
Leave auntie alone, lol.

I was just watching Lady Sings The Blues the other day....

I need a movie made about her and her old triflin', but fabulous ways, lol.

LMAO! I am 10000% here for that. She was so damn extra but in the best of ways.

I always get the feeling they'd just hire Tracee to play her though.

PoisonMind

Annie is finally OK
Reaction score
Reactions
9,097 163 186
Alleybux
The question is: who's pretending it's not about her? :ROFLMAO:
I saw no one here saying that...

Mayjade

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
770 68 96
Alleybux
I‘m not ruling it out but the lyrics... idk it just doesn‘t make sense in a way?
Especially the whole second verse (she likes the boys in the band...) and later the line „I‘ll be your everything if you make me a star“. Diana already was a star if not an icon.
There are other songs that most definitly are about her (leave me alone, who is it, remember the time) but I always felt this song really is about an obsessed fan/ groupie and he just named the chick Diana to mock Ms. Ross.

TrayC

I love to tour.
Reaction score
Reactions
18,071 302 199
Alleybux
I‘m not ruling it out but the lyrics... idk it just doesn‘t make sense in a way?
Especially the whole second verse (she likes the boys in the band...) and later the line „I‘ll be your everything if you make me a star“. Diana already was a star if not an icon.
There are other songs that most definitly are about her (leave me alone, who is it, remember the time) but I always felt this song really is about an obsessed fan/ groupie and he just named the chick Diana to mock Ms. Ross.
I think that verse was added so it wasn't so painfully obvious...

Lurkie

A Drunken Mistake
Reaction score
Reactions
37,731 433 265
Alleybux
If you wanted to be as petty as fµck you could take the line as meaning Diana wanting to sleep with guys that will keep getting her hit singles.

200.gif

Lurkie

A Drunken Mistake
Reaction score
Reactions
37,731 433 265
Alleybux
btw I know the official lyrics say "make me a star" but it always sounded to me like he actually sings "make me your star"

Kahota

“It’s time for a Black King” - Michael Jackson
Reaction score
Reactions
53,049 826 785
Alleybux
If you wanted to be as petty as fµck you could take the line as meaning Diana wanting to sleep with guys that will keep getting her hit singles.

200.gif

Speaking of Ross, she once got a beatdown in front of “just everybody,” including Betty LaVette and Martha Reeves, at the 20 Grand. She had been having an affair with Brian Holland, of the legendary Holland-Dozier-Holland team that wrote nearly all of the Supremes’ hits, and his wife, Sharon, wasn’t having it.

btw I know the official lyrics say "make me a star" but it always sounded to me like he actually sings "make me your star"

Berry Gordy

redpanda

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,963 44 18
Alleybux
Especially the whole second verse (she likes the boys in the band...) and later the line „I‘ll be your everything if you make me a star“.

Boys in the band, make me a star: Gene Simmons, who helped get her a record deal with RCA
Also make me a star: Berry Gordy & maybe others

I stan Diane but I don't pretend there weren't shady doings. I love her tho.

Kahota

“It’s time for a Black King” - Michael Jackson
Reaction score
Reactions
53,049 826 785
Alleybux
Boys in the band, make me a star: Gene Simmons, who helped get her a record deal with RCA

I stan Diane but I don't pretend there weren't shady doings. I love her tho.

I respect stans like yourself

All I know is Michael low key put her on blast with this song. He held nothing back and was evidently mad af.

Mayjade

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
770 68 96
Alleybux

Majority of the song fits I admit so yeah it probably is about her.
But that line still doesn‘t make sense as she‘s talking to Michael and says to him she‘ll be his everything if HE makes her a star. I really wonder now what Michael could‘ve meant by „star“.

redpanda

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,963 44 18
Alleybux
Majority of the song fits I admit so yeah it probably is about her.
But that line still doesn‘t make sense as she‘s talking to Michael and says to him she‘ll be his everything if HE makes her a star. I really wonder now what Michael could‘ve meant by „star“.

I assume she's saying it to the man/men she's messing around with, not necessarily to Michael. Lyrics are like poetry, they're not always meant to be taken literally and they can be read in many ways.

ShalaShalingay

Michael Jackson’s Housewife
Reaction score
Reactions
25,446 896 609
Alleybux
I think that verse was added so it wasn't so painfully obvious...
Or he was talking about her waiting around backstage at Kiss for the man that sticks his tongue out. That man she used to help her leave Motown and get with RCA. I read this not that long ago. Someone say he's a good businessman.

bindannweg

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
20,830 326 278
Alleybux
Even if the lyrics do not make sense in a context to Diana Ross:

The fact alone that Michael was able to scream out "Dirty Diana" multiple times during the song, maybe was a relief of his anger at DR.

:unsure::sneaky:

ShalaShalingay

Michael Jackson’s Housewife
Reaction score
Reactions
25,446 896 609
Alleybux
I respect stans like yourself

All I know is Michael low key put her on blast with this song. He held nothing back and was evidently mad af.

I will never forget this look AMA 1986, like threatening her to go up there and expose everything. Lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

She was scared as sh!t too! Saying silent prayers to Jesus.

hqdefault.jpg

deerae

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,882 71 41
Alleybux
Let me throw this into the mix. Diana real name is Diane Ross. MJ can be heard saying diane diane diane in Dirty Diana.

TheLionQueen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,857 686 192
Alleybux
Speaking of Ross, she once got a beatdown in front of “just everybody,” including Betty LaVette and Martha Reeves, at the 20 Grand. She had been having an affair with Brian Holland, of the legendary Holland-Dozier-Holland team that wrote nearly all of the Supremes’ hits, and his wife, Sharon, wasn’t having it.

giphy.gif

did you get this from a book?, if so, what's it called?

BallaOJQ

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,335 277 237
Alleybux
I thought everyone knew this was about her. I will say, watching him perform it live was an amazing sight. He was practically having breakup xes with her on stage, and him screaming "Diana momma! Diane! Diane! Shamone!!!" Is the closest we will ever get to that damn xes tape.

SoUnique

Because I am Gotdamnit
Reaction score
Reactions
2,271 282 191
Alleybux
Of course the song is about her and her trifling, lowdown whoreish ways. However RTT is NOT about that ratchet b!tch. For one the first line say do you remember when we fell in love we were young and innocent then. If he'd said when I was young and innocent then yeah it would be about that but sorry its not. However I did find it interesting that the dedication with her initials for the single match somebody else's perfectly. In fact call it hunch she just might be the the girl who he's trying to get home to before that b!tch snatched him up and told her don't bother b!tch I'm fµck!ng him.

You never make me stay
So take your weight off of me
I know your every move
So won't you just let me be

I've been here times before
But I was too blind to see
That you seduce every man
This time you won't seduce me

Translation:

b!tch I'm through fµck!ng with your trifling ass. Don't call. Don't write. Don't do sh!t. You been fµck!ng around them other dudes but ya ass ain't fµck!ng with me. Dueces.

Love this song btw. The video is even better.[emoji91]

Last edited:

neyssia

Reaction score
Reactions
253 2
Alleybux
I thought everyone knew this was about her. I will say, watching him perform it live was an amazing sight. He was practically having breakup xes with her on stage, and him screaming "Diana momma! Diane! Diane! Shamone!!!" Is the closest we will ever get to that damn xes tape.

THE WHO?!