Quantcast

Are You Comfortable With Having Acne?

Msangelbaby

LSA’s Favorite Villain
Reaction score
Reactions
146,770 6,737 2,401
Alleybux
All throughout school, I never wanted to show my face when my breakouts got really bad. I would coat my face in toothpaste or Noxema, praying that by the time I woke up it wouldn’t be so bad.

Of course, it was still terrible when I woke up in the morning. I had to wake up and face the music after a night of dreading the moment I had to set foot in school with a broken out face.

I’m glad those days have long since ended and I’m not obligated to go anywhere. I’ve tried to tell myself that it doesn’t matter. There’s not much I can do besides going to the dermatologist and applying the topicals that she’s prescribed. But, it’s still hard to leave the house whenever I look in the mirror and see that Mt. Vesuvius is about to erupt on my face.

It’s so easy for people to say that, “no one is looking at you. No one realizes that you have cysts and whiteheads on your face. It’s not even that bad.” I still want to crawl in my bed and never leave after I see that my skin hasn’t improved much.

Sometimes, I vow to never leave until my skin is clear. Then I realize that it’s unrealistic. The way my skin works, I would probably be pushing 90 and still waiting for it to clear up so that I can leave the house.

M A R S

Free The Robots
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
7,357 59 18
Alleybux
I relate a lot to this. I'm not comfortable with it at all. I will say though I don't mind it on other people even if I notice it.
Currently I'm using birth control and a zinc cleanser to get rid of it.. only on day 3 and I can tell it's clearing up a bit. Sadly I've become a recluse due to a myriad of reasons including acne and things related to looks I haven't left my house in months.

CapnCrunch

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,749 1,679 765
Alleybux
Nope. I started getting acne when I was about 14 and my skin was a mess. I worked very hard and spent a lot of money to get rid of it. Even now if I’m not consistent with my skin reggie I’ll get pimples. I was never comfortable with it and I feel my most confident with no acne and minimal to no scars

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,135 11,495 3,304
Alleybux
I don’t have acne but once in awhile, I can have a pimple or 2. It’s hormonal. I know it’s not acne but even having a pimple or 2 freaks me out. Last year, when I came back from Morroco, my skin freaked out and I kept breaking out. Idk if it was stress from dealing with being constantly harassed but I had a bunch of left over dark spots which sucked.
Retin A & benzoyl peroxide cleanser keep my skin clear.

OP, I would suggest trying different products. Accutane?? I know someone who had acne since she was a child and it cleared it up. She went on 2 treatments and so far so good.

THEDARKVIXEN

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Reactions
374,092 8,059 3,406
Alleybux
Lmao yes. My acne is not bad. My dermatologist told me that I have nice skin. I get pimples when I eat sweets and cheese so I cut them out.

I've had men kiss my break outs and caress my face. *shrugs*

PASSPORT SIS

I'm back, wh0res!
Reaction score
Reactions
210,861 11,043 6,508
Alleybux
Na.. I used to have acne from the ages of 13 up until I was 16.. At that time it felt like forever & I didn't see it going. It was mild acne (not cysts or anything) but they did leave scarring on my forehead and the sides of my face in particular. Sometimes I got the odd breakout on my chin too. These didn't all happen at once btw. But yeah it was annoying. I never got bullied or anything about it though & it didn't affect my confidence.

Typically in school there's always other people suffering with puberty-related acne too so I didn't find it unusual. But I knew it wasn't supposed to be there if that made sense. The only time I'd think about it was when my parents made comments about looking for products to "cure" my acne. Even though they kept telling me that it was an age thing.

However when I turned 16, I was old enough to go to the doctors without a supervisor so I went & asked for treatment for my acne. I was over it by that point & refused to enter my college years with acne. So I was prescribed with antibiotics, I took them for about a year and a half, drank 2 litres of water everyday & made it a habit to change my pillowcases every few days.

Within a couple months my acne slowed down & I was just left with the scarring & a couple odd 1 or 2 spots here and there. By the time I was 20 all my scarring had cleared.

So I can empathize with those who deal with acne and how it can affect your outlook on yourself. Especially dealing with ignorant people who think they know what works for you & just chalk you up to be an unsanitary person who can't take care of your skin when that's far from the case. I've met folks with poor diets, don't change their sheets often (to their admittance), oily skin etc. who have no pimples on their faces. Some people deal with it where others don't.

It's a long annoying journey.

Oh & for the record, Neutrogena facial scrub didn't work for me, despite all the people who claims that it works.

just11412

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
179,144 3,085 528
Alleybux
Ive made peace with my acne.
me too.

I was so tired of the pills and the creams. Had it since i was younger. 12 or 13...

The only time my skin was truly clear was 1) when i was in a hot climate. My skin does very well in hot climates. I was living in texas and arizona and skin was lovely.

And when i went plant based, drank only water, did green powders and oil cleansed. When i did all this and was consistent. Skin was amazing. I know this is the key for me but... I got lazy.

Acne never stopped me from getting a man. And i go out and live my life cause i have to. Can't not go to work cause i have a break out.

leahx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,801 525 498
Alleybux
I am a long time acne sufferer and I don’t believe you ever get comfortable with it. In addition to the the phycological damage of people belittling you and questioning your efforts to better you skin, it is physically painful. I had my aunt tell me use my own urine to get rid of it. I’ve had people laugh and say “damn, you got a lot of pimples on your face”. I never thought I’d be the girl with clear skin. While my acne issue was absolved after I stopped consuming dairy and cheap sugars, soda, etc. I am now going through the process of getting rid of the scarring. For those still suffering you will make it through. It will take time. Go to the doctor, see what is happening internally because every issue has a root, you’re not just out here having acne for no reason. I found out my acne was due to PCOS which propelled me to do more research which led me to incorporating different aspects of keto, paleo, and veganism into my diet. You guys can do it and you wont be suffering forever. As someone who thought she’d never get rid of hers, I promise you will get rid of it.

Last edited:

pinkkryptonite

Bonnets 'r Us
Reaction score
Reactions
149,236 5,006 464
Alleybux
I had like a 3 year period in my 20s with acne (never had it as a teen). It wasn't anything makeup couldn't help, but something happened around 27-28 and I developed cystic acne. It was physically painful and socially debilitating for me. It took a year with dermatologists and Rx to overcome it.

I've had no skin problems since then besides the occasional PMS pimple, and I only use mild and mostly natural cleansers & moisturizers. I wouldn't wish cystic acne on anyone.

KelOverKenan

KelOverKenan did the thing
Reaction score
Reactions
251,428 7,655 2,236
Alleybux
Mine comes and gos. It definitely got better with age, both the breakouts and the confidence.

Bux Heaux

Sprinkle Sprinkle
Reaction score
Reactions
289,114 13,951 8,692
Alleybux
No

I get pimples here and there. Which don’t bother me but never got a full face of acne maybe than yes

apryll6969

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
280,068 8,311 1,917
Alleybux
me too.

I was so tired of the pills and the creams. Had it since i was younger. 12 or 13...

The only time my skin was truly clear was 1) when i was in a hot climate. My skin does very well in hot climates. I was living in texas and arizona and skin was lovely.

And when i went plant based, drank only water, did green powders and oil cleansed. When i did all this and was consistent. Skin was amazing. I know this is the key for me but... I got lazy.

Acne never stopped me from getting a man. And i go out and live my life cause i have to. Can't not go to work cause i have a break out.

Thats so funny, I always thought it was the water. lol,I am always trying to smuggle back water. Yes, acne dont even know me in hot climate. Were just not meant for cold weather.

ElleH23

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
4,797 196 21
Alleybux
I’ve gone through periods of my life with very clear skin and also breaking out consistently. My hormones will act up and it’s over for my clear skin. It bothers me a lot, especially because I’m ocd about hygiene and seeing pimples and trying to cover them makes me feel dirty and gross on the inside. When my skin is clear I feel confident, even if I have some scarring. I love the feeling of waking up in the AM knowing my skin will be clear and makeup apply easily and not worried about my next breakout. Keeping my skin clear is very important

BlickBlick

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
63,112 932 436
Alleybux
My skin is clear for the most part recently due to accutane, but it's far from flawless. I'm almost 30 and had to deal with acne from age 10 to age 27. Even though my skin isn't as bad as it used to be and I thought I'd be finally happy, but I'm still not. I have a lot of spiritual and emotional healing to do. Acne really does take a toll on a person and can really fµck up their self esteem.

Idk why I didn't take up dermatology when I was in college because skin does interests me especially dealing with my own. I haven't finished but when I go back I'm thinking medical lab. But anyways, even though my skin isn't bad, I'm still not comfortable.

sweetheart039

A b!tch could never
Reaction score
Reactions
6,975 72 21
Alleybux
I've had moderate to currently mild acne since I was 10 (got my first pimple at 10 then full blown pimples at 12) and I never felt the need to cover it. I just accepted that acne was apart of me life. Do I like it? No but I'm not about to be insecure because it. For me I'm more focused on removing dark marks than hormonal breakouts.

Reignon

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,715 67 49
Alleybux
I was not comfortable with mine. For me, It was a chance to address the causes of it which I appreciate my body for looking out for me in that way. As in, "look, I'm gonna show up on your statuesque face until you address me ma'am." Like damn, this couldn't be on my elbow? lol. I learned that I was settling in a relationship that made me miserable and not listening to my intuition was a major cause of stress. I was consumed with this fake love and not eating properly and masking it with makeup (like for real?) I prayed a lot and one day, I woke up. I went to the derm and an esthetician. I developed a skin care routine. I think because the 'in denial' version of me was thinking it was hormonal. NAH fam, get rid of everything toxic: people, places, things, food..etc...stop playing yourself. NOW my skin is thanking me by being glowy all day, everyday while wearing No makeup. I never had acne before..my skin might even be better than it was before this happened. So, THAT is a blessing. Don't be discouraged. This took lots of time..like at least a year and lots of tender loving care with yourself and to be consistent. And who better to be consistent with than yourself??? Choose you always. You are SO worth it.

Yall most of the health issues we have with are bodies stem from the energy behind our thoughts..so think highly of yourselves first...and start doing the things that show yourself the love you deserve.. Forget everybody else.

lightintruth

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
674 5
Alleybux
I used to not really realize how bad my acne was when I was growing up until some asshole in middle school made fun of me. He really asked me if I go out with my face looking like that (the nerve). I had a lot of very small bumps around my jawline/cheek area. My chest was really bad though. I never wore open tops.

I went on accutane not too long after that (I don't remember how old I was, but I don't think I was even thirteen yet?). Despite all the negative press it had in the past and the controversy, I will say that was the one thing that really got rid of my acne and KEPT it away. Besides maybe a few random bumps a year, my skin is clear to this day. It's been well over a decade since I've taken anything for acne. I really do swear by it.

Honeydripper

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
108,251 6,297 2,486
Alleybux
Nope and I never embraced it. I have it as an adult but Spiro keeps it at Bay. I had to drop Spiro though cause I believe it was affecting my vision

violet1989

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,285 815 722
Alleybux
The worst thing about having severe facial and god forbid body acne is the criticism and ''advice'' you get from strangers.

I had it for years and I reached acceptance about my skin but I had so much trouble with the constant criticism I received from everyone. All the ''stereotypes'' about acne and diet and the intrusive comments just killed me inside. One year I had just had major surgery and decided to venture out to a drug store to fill my pain medicine prescription and this one nasty woman (just a random woman) came up to me and decided to give me a lecture on diet and hygiene.

Because of my emotional vulnerability due to the surgery and also feeling very ''alone'' this woman's comments really hit a nail right through my heart.

I took Accutane a year after this experience and have no regrets. My skin has been clear ever since and I don't even think about the acne. But I will never understand why acne still has so many nasty stereotypes around it? so many people still think it's a sh*t diet and hygiene thing or you haven't seen a dermatologist (I was at several).

LatxLeather

Jan- Dec.
Reaction score
Reactions
109,064 6,825 8,075
Alleybux
I never had bad skin. Hereditary.
Period pimples. Some teen pimples sometimes.

Things you can do. No fried , greasy foods , and sugar.

Wash face with good astringent. Walgreens , supermarket. I know people use Proactive and other expensive stuff, but really, you do not need to spend a fortune.

Some people chose to see a dermatologist, ok. But still, does it heal, stop?

Acne - teen , hormonal years, onset of period, hormonal changes, stress, pregnancy. You really cannot change these things.

Use water based make up. Clinque.

Wipe off face with alcohol or Witch Hazel . Air your face out . No make up to just run errands. no make on non- work days.

Best to you.

Mj71294

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I’ve gone through periods of clear skin and mild cystic acne, with the acne being triggered by hormones. I’ve never seen a dermatologist but I’d maintained my skin very well before changing my skin routine for my beauty course. It was awful. It took six months for me to get things under control, but I’m still healing my hyperpigmentation/ scarring
But, it’s possible to have periods of clear skin. Nothing is permanent. I agree with the person above’s recommendation to no makeup on non-work days. Creating a regimen truly helped me.

I also use rose water as toner, 1% retinol, Salicylic acid cream, and a glycolic acid cleanser in the pm. SA cream during the day after gentle cleansing and toning. Sunscreen is also a must for me

IrisAkira

New Beginning.
Reaction score
Reactions
1,653 34 4
Alleybux
Personal opinion, I feel like acne takes away from your physical beauty smh.. I know it shouldn't be like that, but I hate it. My skin is doing better now because I'm sticking to a simple skin care routine, not overloading on products, drinking water and cutting back on sugar. Honestly, I am pretty when my face is clear and hydrated, but when it's not... it takes away from the prettiness. The acne, the dullness distorts my face.. and that's bad for someone like me. I freak out when I get bored of my simple routine and start doing extra sh!t cause my face breaks out. I don't even use masks or toners like I used to.

When my skin is clear and hydrated, I look young af. fµck acne smh. I'm hoping I'm reaching that age where it naturally fucks off lol.

Last edited:

THRILLHO

Simpson, eh
Reaction score
Reactions
79,596 2,198 194
Alleybux
I have been fighting the sh!t out of my acne for 25 years so no. Not comfortable in the least, and will probably never be comfortable until it's gone. I know that will probably never happen, but mentally I can't deal with that.. I always get really close to clear, then I get a cyst that blows up and leaves a mark and ruins everything.

K4n7upbub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,599 1,568 251
Alleybux
The worst thing about having severe facial and god forbid body acne is the criticism and ''advice'' you get from strangers.

I had it for years and I reached acceptance about my skin but I had so much trouble with the constant criticism I received from everyone. All the ''stereotypes'' about acne and diet and the intrusive comments just killed me inside. One year I had just had major surgery and decided to venture out to a drug store to fill my pain medicine prescription and this one nasty woman (just a random woman) came up to me and decided to give me a lecture on diet and hygiene.

Because of my emotional vulnerability due to the surgery and also feeling very ''alone'' this woman's comments really hit a nail right through my heart.

I took Accutane a year after this experience and have no regrets. My skin has been clear ever since and I don't even think about the acne. But I will never understand why acne still has so many nasty stereotypes around it? so many people still think it's a sh*t diet and hygiene thing or you haven't seen a dermatologist (I was at several).
This is true. People have a tendency to attribute "ugly appearance" to poor behavior or eating "dirty" food. And it really is much more genetic and hormonal in nature. Or literally due to a disease/infection. It reminds me of people who think drinking lemon/apple cider vinegar helps you lose weight when there is no scientific basis for this belief. Or people who make weird sh!t to bathe the vulva/vagina when it probably will mess up your Ph. Or think vaginal odor is a sign of being dirty when you could either be perfectly healthy or have a yeast infection, vaginosis or some other undiagnosed condition that could be fixed with actual medicine.

I genuinely feel like most people are too caught up in being superficial and pedestaling people based on physical appearance or wealth/power alone. And they will attack others on some misguided belief that they are bad because of their physical appearance. Like the same kinds of people who want to act like pretend doctors to fat people out of fake concern. They simply would rather that person be dead than be happy with themselves.

People could be worrying about other stuff like pollution, discrimination, poverty, homelessness. But no. They would rather make people feel bad about the way they look.

Acne is normal. I have dealt with skin lesions as an adult and it can suck at times. But I know outside of that I am a healthy person who doesn't indulge in much outside of food. I focus on people who tell me I am beautiful and like me for who I am as a person.

violet1989

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,285 815 722
Alleybux
This is true. People have a tendency to attribute "ugly appearance" to poor behavior or eating "dirty" food. And it really is much more genetic and hormonal in nature. Or literally due to a disease/infection. It reminds me of people who think drinking lemon/apple cider vinegar helps you lose weight when there is no scientific basis for this belief. Or people who make weird sh!t to bathe the vulva/vagina when it probably will mess up your Ph. Or think vaginal odor is a sign of being dirty when you could either be perfectly healthy or have a yeast infection, vaginosis or some other undiagnosed condition that could be fixed with actual medicine.

I genuinely feel like most people are too caught up in being superficial and pedestaling people based on physical appearance or wealth/power alone. And they will attack others on some misguided belief that they are bad because of their physical appearance. Like the same kinds of people who want to act like pretend doctors to fat people out of fake concern. They simply would rather that person be dead than be happy with themselves.

People could be worrying about other stuff like pollution, discrimination, poverty, homelessness. But no. They would rather make people feel bad about the way they look.

Acne is normal. I have dealt with skin lesions as an adult and it can suck at times. But I know outside of that I am a healthy person who doesn't indulge in much outside of food. I focus on people who tell me I am beautiful and like me for who I am as a person.

There is a ''guilt'' attached to these sorts of things. When you have them you become guilty in the eyes of seemingly so many. There is much more stigma attached to these types of things for women as beauty is still considered the ''crowning achievement'' for females.

K4n7upbub

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,599 1,568 251
Alleybux
There is a ''guilt'' attached to these sorts of things. When you have them you become guilty in the eyes of seemingly so many. There is much more stigma attached to these types of things for women as beauty is still considered the ''crowning achievement'' for females.
So true. People are way more critical of the way women look than men on average. I think as women we are often taught to see beauty as a competition. So anyone deemed "ugly" is seen as a loser or isn't trying hard enough to achieve this arbitrary goal.