Quantcast

Art Investing

Lurker3000

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
199 2
Alleybux
Is anyone here into art investing? I’m looking at getting a few pieces but I wonder if it’s a good store of value during a recession?
Because a recession is definitely coming and the stock market is scaring me right now. Today has shown that the market is clearly manipulated and I’m considering getting out of even my long term holds.
Any resources would be appreciated!

Related question: how do you know what resources to trust when doing research? Everyone has an agenda. Or they could just be an idiot spewing nonsense on a Youtube channel. How do you vet your sources?

drkjourney1

Come for me, and I'll answer!
Reaction score
Reactions
46,173 1,033 540
Alleybux
I’d love to get into art investing. It seems like it’s only open to a certain financial class. I wish there was an art equivalent to Stash or Acorns.

NinaStarks

issa
Reaction score
Reactions
168,190 7,431 1,991
Alleybux
Great topic. I am going to watch this thread for tips too. There was a font in the career section that said they did this for a living. I’m going to find them to summon them to this thread.

ETA: @mmhmmokgirlbye

People think that any one can do my job and they can't. I have 3 degrees and a specialty but I also have to be up to date constantly on the discourse and latest trends, while also having impeccable taste and an eye for talent, while also producing scholarly work.

I'm an art historian and curator. It's a lot more than just hanging "art" on walls.
Can you answer OP’s (@Lurker3000 ) question please?

Last edited:

PeytonKnowsBest

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,113 578 21
Alleybux
I do a bit of collecting. It really depends on how much money you have to invest in pieces. Much like stocks, it’s best to get in early (new/emerging artists) and let the work gain value as the artist gains notoriety. You can go in big - I’ve seen people with easily a few million on their walls. Or baby steps. Set a budget each year and strategically pick works to purchase.

Lurker3000

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
199 2
Alleybux
I do a bit of collecting. It really depends on how much money you have to invest in pieces. Much like stocks, it’s best to get in early (new/emerging artists) and let the work gain value as the artist gains notoriety. You can go in big - I’ve seen people with easily a few million on their walls. Or baby steps. Set a budget each year and strategically pick works to purchase.

As far as type of artwork, do you just go with what you like? Or are some styles better?

PeytonKnowsBest

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,113 578 21
Alleybux
As far as type of artwork, do you just go with what you like? Or are some styles better?
This one is a layered question. As a collector the rule of thumb is to buy what you love. You’ll have to live with it (literally). Depending on how you purchase the piece and who you purchase from, there may be an embargo on how soon you can sell an artists work. This is done to deter flipping pieces. You all find this a lot with black artists. As for style, fine art will be more likely to accrue value, however there are pop and street artists that make a name for themselves too. It’s really just as complicated as stocks.

Lurker3000

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
199 2
Alleybux
This one is a layered question. As a collector the rule of thumb is to buy what you love. You’ll have to live with it (literally). Depending on how you purchase the piece and who you purchase from, there may be an embargo on how soon you can sell an artists work. This is done to deter flipping pieces. You all find this a lot with black artists. As for style, fine art will be more likely to accrue value, however there are pop and street artists that make a name for themselves too. It’s really just as complicated as stocks.

Thanking you kindly!