[Article]: Vine Dance Star TerRio Is 6, and None of This Was His Idea

Liv Baker

I always get the last word
Reaction score
Reactions
239,424 13,575 8,466
Alleybux
a_610x408.jpg

TerRio Harshaw is in first grade, and nearly as wide as he is tall. He’s also the most recognizable star on Vine, despite not having an account. Instead, the Riverdale, Georgia, native stars in clips taken by his teenage neighbor Maleek—or that’s what he did before leaving home to travel the country as a viral sensation, showing up at nightclubs (reportedly earning $8,000 per appearance), Super Bowl Media Day (where he drew the attention of cheerleaders), music-video shoots, and The Arsenio Hall Show, all under the care of a 25-year-old manager from Florida. TerRio controls no aspect of the business that’s grown around him, not even the camera-phone.

TerRio is known for a dance, first recorded by Maleek last summer in a Vine post that collected more than 300,000 “likes” and even more re-Vines. Maleek commands, “Ooh, kill ’em!”—which would become the TerRio catchphrase—as the spherical child, in camo shorts and an Air Jordan shirt, points left, points right, jerks his shoulders back, swirls his wrist, and swoops his right arm toward the pavement with lips pursed. Then, by design, the video repeats, becoming hypnotic by the second play. Although the original will loop forever if you let it, Maleek got TerRio to do his move again, and then again, but never quite the same way twice.

By August, TerRio was doing his thing in the studio with influential Atlanta personality DJ Drama; before the month was over, a #FreeTerRio campaign picked up on Twitter as observers wondered where his parents were and why he wasn’t in school. (“For the people that say ‘Go to school’ or say ‘Do you ever go to school?’ Y’all ever heard of ONLINE SCHOOL,” countered TerRio’s Twitter.) The meme, backlash, and inevitable profiteering all overlapped.
“I found him online before he got big and went and got him,” Herbert “Dooney” Battle, whose Tha Lights Inc. company logo can be seen on most of TerRio’s clothing, told the Miami New Times on the set of the kid’s first all-night video shoot. (Battle has numerous arrests on a variety of charges, including domestic abuse against his pregnant girlfriend; that case didn’t go to trial.) TerRio did indeed get big: NBA player John Wall did the TerRio dance on video; NFL star DeSean Jackson—with whom Battle claims business *connections—made it a touchdown celebration (the rest of the NFL followed); and LeBron James said, “Ooh, kill ’em!” in a Samsung commercial. With representation, TerRio became a logo in rotund silhouette, on T-shirts ($27.99) and iPhone cases ($20), along with an “Oooh Kill Em” rap single featuring two nobodies and TerRio’s brother, released for 99 cents on iTunes. Actual hip-hop star Meek Mill has referenced him multiple times (“Pockets all fat like TerRio,” goes one line), and YouTube is full of amateurs doing the Kill ’Em dance. Meanwhile, TerRio’s single mother, a hairdresser with four children who’d faced eviction pre-Vine, reportedly upgraded to a five-bedroom house.

Since that first video, TerRio has been pictured multiple times on Twitter and Instagram with grown women in bathing suits. “Just fµcked TerRio,” one joked. He’s also put on a noticeable amount of weight, the ballooning a Twitter punch line. Arsenio Hall, on national television, looked into his eyes and asked about “your size for a 6-year-old and how much you weigh.” “250,000 RT’s and I’ll lose weight I promise #ooohkillemCalories,” whoever is in charge of the @OfficialTerRio account wrote in January. There have been more than 10,000 retweets, but not nearly enough. “I’m losing weight,” the child told Hall, “but I’m gaining money.”

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/terrio-vine-star.html?mid=twitter_vulture

:no: Poor kid is being exploited

COMPLEXXX

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
903,487 13,467 1,349
Alleybux
That child has been 6 for like 2 years....

And he always looks like a 40 year old man who has been through some sh!t and is just TIED, not tired, TIED.

Smh @ these grown ass people who know better hanging out with him and somebody talking about ''fµck!ng him''. Disgusting.

Kitty Katt

Killer Bey Nicki
Reaction score
Reactions
102,043 5,810 16,052
Alleybux
I really don't get why he is famous.
I swear the things we should make famous or more known, we don't but simple bs like this gets more play.
Anyway I bet you he will not see any of that money. Easily that money could pay for his future college education but I bet you that his parents aren't even thinking that far. I hope they do save some of it though.

Bella Goth

Mortimer's Hoe
Reaction score
Reactions
102,853 4,500 3,623
Alleybux
"Spherical child"
tumblr_lkay07lGsJ1qi12x0o1_250.gif

Real tears are pouring out of my eyes.

I feel so sorry for this sweet kid. Let him be a kid.

Helga G.Pataki

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,031 657 94
Alleybux
The Terio seeing the whole world before he sees a vegetable jokes had me dying like ooooohh kill em

FutureSocialite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
2,941 37 17
Alleybux
When I first saw the video, I thought it was cute and laughed, but now? This sh!t is ridiculous. You can tell that he doesn't have any parental guidance by the people he's with. I would not let my child be around DeSean Jackson's bad beard having ass. And all of those "models". Smh. I hope someone gets ahold of him, make him go to school, makes him lose ALL that weight and takes care of him financially.

Cause X Said So

Sicker Than Your Average
Reaction score
Reactions
108,523 811 336
Alleybux
Whoever is in charge of him should've trademarked 'Ooh kill em'. That was the first mistake.

And that writer is fµcked up (but accurate) for calling that "kid" spherical :dead:

Mental Floss

off my chest & laid to rest
Reaction score
Reactions
74,696 1,216 305
Alleybux
wow, this is a damn shame. that poor little boy should not be in no "online classes" :disdain: or at night clubs! he needs to be in bed at a decent hour, going to school w/his friends, running and playing.

his "manager" is probably robbing him blind. and his mom probably has no idea how much profit that dude is making off her son.

whoever wrote this is shady af, btw. "wide as he is tall," "spherical child..."

Terriann

bantu knot baby
Reaction score
Reactions
6,693 41 23
Alleybux
online school?

for an elementary school kid? da fuq?

chile byeeeee!!

i really hope terio become a well adjusted kid after his 15 minutes is over.

Kim Possible

Whats The Sitch
Reaction score
Reactions
481 40 15
Alleybux
What kindergarten has online classes??

Leave that spherical child alone.

apocalipton

Powerhouse Titties
Reaction score
Reactions
144,447 6,180 2,470
Alleybux
Why is there an article on this? I swear journalistic integrity is a thing of the past.