Artists that were huge in their times and now are barely mentioned

Reactions
6,594 176 1,039
Alleybux
People forget he dropped like two dis records against the king of pop. That’s how big he was, he thought that was a good idea and millions of people agreed.

Unfortunately for Hammer, MJ won by killing him with kindness and ignoring him.
Wow what a hater. Why would he do that? Michael was a sweet person. Hammer wasn't even around when the pedophile accussations came out I think (or at least wasn't as hot compared to when Can't Touch This topped the chart).

Reactions
8,259 61 3
Alleybux
Lady Gaga. I've seriously haven't heard shit from her since her, ARTPOP , Album...!!! , Along with, Christina Aguilera since her , Lotus , Album TOO , 100% PERIODDDDD
Her music career suffered after Artpop but she managed to pull it together by getting into acting. She earned 2 Golden Globes and an Oscar a few years ago. Also, she just won a Grammy this year for Rain On Me but honestly the only reason why is because of Ariana.

LSAs favorite boytoy
Reactions
1,777 8 4
Alleybux
Wow what a hater. Why would he do that? Michael was a sweet person. Hammer wasn't even around when the pedophile accussations came out I think (or at least wasn't as hot compared to when Can't Touch This topped the chart).
He claimed to be the ‘real heir’ to James Browns legacy and wanted to prove it. He had someone play MJ in one of his videos and then challenged MJ to a dance-off.

Reactions
228,272 4,514 2,681
Alleybux
Freddie Jackson. When I learned how many R&B #1s and top tens he had, I was shocked. He doesn’t really have much of a legacy that’s discussed.

One major factor in people being “forgotten” in that sense is whether or not people liked their personality, or just their songs. Did they have any major pop culture moments? Also, do younger artists cite them as an influence, or copy them? If not, they usually fade.

This is where the generational and racial divide is more at play. Black music was heavily segregated until the late 90s/early 00s, so there were superstars like Freddie Jackson who racked up #1s on the R&B/Black Singles/Soul chart and mainstream/white audiences would be ??? But ever since the rise of streaming, folks don't hear Black music that's popular with just Black people anymore, so of course artists like Freddie Jackson aren't talked about. It's crazy considering that when they come out to perform at festivals, they sell out the shows.

Reactions
8,225 449 109
Alleybux
Shania Twain is up there. That woman dominated a whole era in her genre. She is the Queen of country. Even MTV was playing her videos (and you know well that channel wasn't into that kind of music). She is one of the best-selling female artists. Such an ICON.

I was in Nigeria when Come On Over was released, and radio stations played some of her songs despite preferring hip-hop, that's how popular she was back then. And of course there was those Revlon commercials. After her next album she discovered her husband was cheating on her with her best friend; after their divorce she married her best friend's husband. Oh, and she had problems with her singing voice too, and now sounds very different.

Meet me on the moon.
Reactions
16,354 232 518
Alleybux
Why? Gloria and her husband Emilio are filthy rich. What about the ones who were also once on top and now live in poverty.
Gloria has a great legacy she is will always be considered as an icon, especially when talking about influential Latin artistes.

Meet me on the moon.
Reactions
16,354 232 518
Alleybux
Cory Daye (Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band) special shout out to Kid Creole too

I recently found out about them. I was rewatching boyz in.the hood and heard their song in the background. Apparently they were big in.the late 70s early 80s. They really had a unique sound and great songwriting too.

Reactions
25,557 523 90
Alleybux
Lionel Richie was basically forgotten until American Idol. When you think of it though very few acts are able to remain relevant for more than a decade.

Prima Donna, I'm complex.
Reactions
5,109 88 20
Alleybux
I recently found out about them. I was rewatching boyz in.the hood and heard their song in the background. Apparently they were big in.the late 70s early 80s. They really had a unique sound and great songwriting too.
Truly! Much respect to John Singleton for solidifying this great band's legacy and introducing them to future generations by featuring them in the soundtrack of his classic film! Their music evokes a certain joie de vivre and nostalgia that harkens back to the days of yesteryear. So inspired by the incredible talent and musicianship of this ensemble. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Reactions
Alleybux
New here lol but I see y'all mentioned Jodeci and I'd say they don't get mentioned enough especially with the impact they had on RnB as a whole. DeVante Swing himself wrote and produced most of their hits by himself and people don't even acknowledge that fact. I see a lot of people say him and Dalvin were just eye candy but they actually had a big role (especially DeVante). People also don't know that he's the person that discovered Missy Elliot, Timbaland, Ginuwine, and a few others too. But, back to the topic I don't think they are mentioned or celebrated enough as a whole.

Reactions
8,225 449 109
Alleybux
Why? Gloria and her husband Emilio are filthy rich. What about the ones who were also once on top and now live in poverty.
Gloria has a great legacy she is will always be considered as an icon, especially when talking about influential Latin artistes.
Also she presents the Red Table Talk spinoff with her daughter and niece.

Reactions
964 50 6
Alleybux
I remember in 1994, watching the grammy's l personally in my mind mentioned that Kiss from a rose by Seal would win an award and it did yaay.Yes ,people have forgotten Seal's unique voice

☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️
Reactions
4,932 112 16
Alleybux
Unless you were in high school like I was during her prime from 75-79 when she was a big name then you'd remember but I don't expect those who were born let's say 1973, 1974 or later to remember her unless their parents told them.

I'm a 90s baby and I adore Donna Summer! Then again I'm gay so that probably has something to do with it lol

Becoming a born again and making religious references throughout her songs or talking about religion during her concerts caused a huge lost with her gay audience (her core fans) and then we have the whole rumour regarding her comments about gays which I won't get into.

I'm curious to know your opinion on that matter because I can tell you're a big fan and probably have more knowledge about it than most. Do you believe she really did make those comments? I know she vehemently denied it for the rest of her life and claimed the writer of the article was angry at her because she'd become a Christian.

☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️
Reactions
4,932 112 16
Alleybux
Garth Brooks

TLC

Bryan Adams

DEF Leopard

Shania Twain

Bone Thugs N Harmony

Guns N Roses

JA Rule

Allanis Morresette

Peter Frampton

I'd say these three are still pretty popular? I see t-shirts of theirs everywhere from Target to Old Navy to Urban Outfitters etc.

Garth Brooks is still a pretty big name in country music too. I don't know a single song of his but I know his name lol

Reactions
3,934 75 120
Alleybux
I'm a 90s baby and I adore Donna Summer! Then again I'm gay so that probably has something to do with it lol

I'm curious to know your opinion on that matter because I can tell you're a big fan and probably have more knowledge about it than most. Do you believe she really did make those comments? I know she vehemently denied it for the rest of her life and claimed the writer of the article was angry at her because she'd become a Christian.

Ah fair enough lol, I only mentioned the fans who were too young for her era or weren't born yet because her popularity faded away dramatically by the time those who were born let's say... 1973, etc were growing up in the 80s, it was an example basically.

Do I believe she said it? I personally think she didn't. But I'll say this.

The way she handled it was piss poor and she thought it was one of those rumours that was going to "go away on it's own." (Just like the last one when the gay community thought she was a man) and that previous rumour didn't last long but this one was different. The way she would go on and on and on about Jesus and religion was too much lol and even I thought it was annoying and I ain't gay. What I never understand is why did she completely ditch I Feel Love? I can understand on not wanting to perform Love To Love You Baby but why avoid performing I Feel Love? Another big gay anthem track.

She never really acknowledged it properly until around 1991 when she was releasing Mistaken Identity and then the whole AIDS crisis peaked then and ACT UP (they called themselves that) were really going at it. I'm sure you know the rest of it when she sued them and "won."

But we'll never know if she really said it to be honest. Is a he say, she say sort of thing.

I'm a big fan but one thing I'll always be is honest and no bias.

Good question though

Fairy Kween
Reactions
97,921 3,303 2,091
Alleybux
I feel so bad for Gloria Estefan. She was a global star in her time and considered one of the divas in American music (along with Celine Dion, Mariah and some others). Still now people barely mention her. It's like she disappeared and never came back.

Gloria and MSM came out at a time music around the globe was extremely competitive (the 80s). They didn't sound like anybody else AT ALL and still made it HUGE.

Gloria and her husband are in fact the reason why Miami is the music's capital of Latin America nowadays.
I grew up listening to Gloria Estefan's greatest hits album she is my shit! I loved her just as much as Selena when I was younger. I know a lot of people my age (25) don't know who she is but I adore her.

Ask LSA

General Alley

Recent Posts

Mom says she dont want to see us until we are vaccinated!
U had to use other ppl ideas to get rich basically what u said and u bragging about banking during covid when ppl died ... then calling what ppl...
BLACK WOMEN ARE LOSING INTEREST IN BLACK MEN...
Lmao You just chatting now. I don’t come on here and discuss black men. I just don’t like the way you came on here attacked other women you turd...
Found you guys a new AMBW youtube family! (MAZELEE) - Thread II
Why do you and I hear the same thing!!!????!!! LMAO I didn’t read your post till NOW he said boom shakalaka shakalaka LMAOOOOO, it’s so absurd...
Man kills 6, then self, at Colorado birthday party shooting
yes, family annihilators are such cowards. they normally are facing some crisis (getting into debt or losing their job) or have some other event...
Phaedra is excited Kenya regrets flirting with Apollo
Kenya was wrong but I would have really had it out with Apollo. He was too inappropriate for a married man. Don't "playfully" push my husband...
JaVlogs
that might be it to be honest. there was no reason to get rid of it, they could've put it in the garage or simply just left it there. she bought...
Ginuwine vs Tyrese?
What did ginuwine did to you that you want to punish him.
  • Poll
Meghan Markle unpopular opinions thread pt 2
I just realized she doesn’t wear maternity because she doesn’t like being pregnant. She would rather wear a shapeless tent than maternity. Or...
Man, those 90s & early 2000s workout videos are extremely effective!
I played her exercise video to death back in the day! Didn't know this existed. Now I need it.
Do you think fonts who clique up on others or are disrespectful towards fonts, have any of the...
I think LSA is often used as an outlet for bullies and mean girls to express themselves... You didn't know this before you signed up? I thought...
Top Bottom