Artists that were huge in their times and now are barely mentioned

Reactions
49,709 539 92
Alleybux
Most people tbh. People will have big songs but often times the hits will outlive the artist. Very few people are able to stay mainstream relevant for decades, even faster now given how short attention spans are on social media

I will say: black eyed peas and lmfao. Both acts were massive at one point, don’t think gen z really knows them too much lol

Reactions
6,594 176 1,039
Alleybux
Most people tbh. People will have big songs but often times the hits will outlive the artist. Very few people are able to stay mainstream relevant for decades, even faster now given how short attention spans are on social media

I will say: black eyed peas and lmfao. Both acts were massive at one point, don’t think gen z really knows them too much lol
LMAO only had 2 hits. BEP had several and spanned almost a decade.

*Masterofhaokenucannevabeatme*
Reactions
14,872 148 169
Alleybux
I absolutely agree. She had that lovely, star quality and the vocals to match it. I’m a millennial with an old soul and I’ve always loved her voice. I listen to Sunshower almost every day.
Totally cosign this post. This group was absolutely epic and I love their music! I love that GFK sampled not one but two of their epic songs!!!

Prima Donna, I'm complex.
Reactions
5,079 87 20
Alleybux
Yesssss... especially "Cherchez la femme" ALWAYS in my heart...and my favorite rapper of all time Ghostface Killah sampled it and changed only the lyrics not the best...
Tony's his name! The undefeated champion whoa... yeah... That's the joint right there! The baseline always gets me. Madame Majestic did her thing on this track tho, her rendition is so hauntingly jazzy and her voice is so distinct the perfect mixture of smokey, sultry, and raspy.

☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️
Reactions
4,932 112 16
Alleybux
Ah fair enough lol, I only mentioned the fans who were too young for her era or weren't born yet because her popularity faded away dramatically by the time those who were born let's say... 1973, etc were growing up in the 80s, it was an example basically.

Do I believe she said it? I personally think she didn't. But I'll say this.

The way she handled it was piss poor and she thought it was one of those rumours that was going to "go away on it's own." (Just like the last one when the gay community thought she was a man) and that previous rumour didn't last long but this one was different. The way she would go on and on and on about Jesus and religion was too much lol and even I thought it was annoying and I ain't gay. What I never understand is why did she completely ditch I Feel Love? I can understand on not wanting to perform Love To Love You Baby but why avoid performing I Feel Love? Another big gay anthem track.

She never really acknowledged it properly until around 1991 when she was releasing Mistaken Identity and then the whole AIDS crisis peaked then and ACT UP (they called themselves that) were really going at it. I'm sure you know the rest of it when she sued them and "won."

But we'll never know if she really said it to be honest. Is a he say, she say sort of thing.

I'm a big fan but one thing I'll always be is honest and no bias.

Good question though

Wow thank you for the detailed response! I learned a lot I didn’t know.

I had no idea she stopped performing ‘I Feel Love’! That is strange, I wonder why. Her and Moroder were the ultimate dream team. Such great collaborators.

ETA: I found this online:

“Somewhat terrifyingly, she later stopped performing the song live due to an incident at a performance in Italy. After singing the song she was pursued off-stage by a male mob who then proceeded to rock the trailer in which she was hiding.”

If you can....
Reactions
133,008 5,029 2,794
Alleybux

Huh? That’s not true at all, why do y’all act like all Gen Z is 15 years old? Older Gen Z are 2000’s kids you know and they were super popular among them. Plus they had hits into the 2010’s and were super big in the earlier part. Yall gotta stop making these types of generalizations

Reactions
3,934 75 120
Alleybux
Wow thank you for the detailed response! I learned a lot I didn’t know.

I had no idea she stopped performing ‘I Feel Love’! That is strange, I wonder why. Her and Moroder were the ultimate dream team. Such great collaborators.

ETA: I found this online:

Somewhat terrifyingly, she later stopped performing the song live due to an incident at a performance in Italy. After singing the song she was pursued off-stage by a male mob who then proceeded to rock the trailer in which she was hiding.

Lol, yeah, that was about Love To Love You Baby.

Reactions
3,934 75 120
Alleybux
Huh? That’s not true at all, why do y’all act like all Gen Z is 15 years old? Older Gen Z are 2000’s kids you know and they were super popular among them. Plus they had hits into the 2010’s and were super big in the earlier part. Yall gotta stop making these types of generalizations

The oldest Gen Z kid is a 1997 baby so I'm sure they'll know who they were.

Reactions
6,594 176 1,039
Alleybux
Shania Twain just disappeared. It's so strange to me that she was so big and then at one point the media forgot about her. Maybe she's having a better normal regular life. Who knows. I wish her the best.

Reactions
3,934 75 120
Alleybux
Shania Twain just disappeared. It's so strange to me that she was so big and then at one point the media forgot about her. Maybe she's having a better normal regular life. Who knows. I wish her the best.

Is probably for the best. At least her career didn't become a joke unlike Donna's after their heyday had past. Is better to think of it that way.

Sono na wa Eren Jaeger
Reactions
31,262 1,137 4,468
Alleybux
Exactly, it was ALWAYS Prince, Michael, and Madonna..

5792976a2a00002d004f6164.png
LoL
stop putting Prince at MJ/Madonna's level
he has never been at their levels
stop overrating Prince by putting him at their levels

Hope this helps

Reactions
22 6
Alleybux
Fergie, Gwen Stefani, Justin Timberlake, Austin Mahone (was never famous tbh), the Lizzie McGuire girl, Cheryl ex-Cole, half of the 1D members, the guys from The Wanted, 5th Harmony, Jessica Simpson, Celine Dion

Reactions
15,076 238 95
Alleybux
May I just say, you have excellent taste, a true thoroughbred! And ditto. I'm a millennial/old soul and I was raised on the classics. I loved their whole aesthetic and always felt as though they were ahead of their time with this concept, even with their vintage-retro style and never truly got their flowers.

And Sunshowers stays on regular rotation on my playlist! :arrogant
View attachment 2475954
Thank you and right back at you!! Yes, they were way ahead of their time, and the entire album is a masterpiece.

I love this gif lol.

The Fresh Princess of Bel-Air
Reactions
12,426 83 23
Alleybux
I would say Donna Summer is up there. After the 70s. Her career took a huge nosedive and she doesn't really get acknowledged as much ever since because of disco, since the genre was hated with a passion.

Hell, even when she passed I don't recall anything major that happened in the media like a musical tribute with major artists or something along those lines. It's really sad and such a damn shame. :cry:

Reactions
3,934 75 120
Alleybux
Hell, even when she passed I don't recall anything major that happened in the media like a musical tribute with major artists or something along those lines. It's really sad and such a damn shame. :cry:

I think the reason is because she wasn't relevant for such a long time. The last time she was relevant was the early 80s but after that? Her career tanked badly.

The Voice and The Face
Reactions
165,255 2,915 4,170
Alleybux
I think the reason is because she wasn't relevant for such a long time. The last time she was relevant was the early 80s but after that? Her career tanked badly.
I think what really destroyed Donna’s career was her alleged anti gay and HIV comments in the mid 80’s. That hurt her career because I assumed a large portion of her fanbase were gay men. They turned on her after those *alleged* statements. I’m using *alleged* because she denied making those statements. She couldn’t recover even after she apologized and tried to clear things up. It’s unfortunate but Black women, no matter how popular they are, still can’t make mistakes! One mistake is alll it takes. She ruled the Disco era though but her career was pretty much over after that. She was one of a kind though...

Ask LSA

General Alley

Recent Posts

Jemele Hill tried it with En Vogue
And Xscape has 20 hits? Not even close. Neither does SWV although they have more hits than Xscape. People are rewriting history now. Xscape was...
  • Poll
D@mi@n Lill@rd Appreciation/Tea Thread
Kayla isn't cute. Hope she is enjoying Mother's Day tho
Please be careful collecting unemployment benefits.
Someone in my family just got sent a email from their state government asking them to upload documents to prove they had a job and filed taxes...
The Henry Cavill Appreciation & (Former) Harem Meet-up Thread (Part 6)
U We sound quite alike, I’m a maths graduate and a scientist! I agree, everything that’s happened with HC and NV is like a logic problem where we...
Andrew Yang Criticizes ‘Defund The Police’ after NYC Shooting
Girl, you could have saved this anti-cop rant for someone else. I am grateful for the police, who I need to protect me from crime. Defunding the...
What is Kevin Samuels on? Who listens to this dating "advice"?
This guy is live. People really are putting KS in their video titles to attract a bigger audience. Ive warned folks about these passport pervs...
Ariana Fletcher aka @therealkylesister & Associates Discussion Thread
Wait Tae onky reposted a fan page for Awi That's it?!! That's weird
Top Bottom