Artists that were huge in their times and now are barely mentioned

Reactions
25,224 193 43
Alleybux
Ja Rule. It’s cool to make fun of him nowadays but when I was youngin he and the rest of Murder Inc were huge. I remember how much of a big deal Ja’s and Fifty’s beef were.

I agree with Katy Perry going that way.

I also agree with Nelly Furtado and Mase.

Reactions
3,891 73 120
Alleybux
I think what really destroyed Donna’s career was her alleged anti gay and HIV comments in the mid 80’s. That hurt her career because I assumed a large portion of her fanbase were gay men. They turned on her after those *alleged* statements. I’m using *alleged* because she denied making those statements. She couldn’t recover even after she apologized and tried to clear things up. It’s unfortunate but Black women, no matter how popular they are, still can’t make mistakes! One mistake is alll it takes. She ruled the Disco era though but her career was pretty much over after that. She was one of a kind though...

Pretty much spot on and yeah her core fans were gays. The whole religious reference to her songs throughout the 80s was so annoying too and that was another issue lol. Is like "we get the whole point stop repeating the same shit."

But yeah after the disco era, it was over. Donna should have stuck with her plan originally and retire around the early 80s. Safer legacy if you ask me.

The Fresh Princess of Bel-Air
Reactions
12,405 81 23
Alleybux
I feel like the late 80s/early 90s is a fairly forgotten period in music. Barely referenced, and barely streamed compared to prior and later eras.

Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and New Kids are forgotten relatively. When it comes to Teen Pop, they usually refer to the 90s, and sometimes even the 70s over the late 80s.

Jody Watley, Karyn White, Pebbles, and Vanessa Williams fall under this too.

I agree. It's a damn shame too because that's actually one of my all-time fave periods of music.

Reactions
22,359 197 119
Alleybux
Most people tbh. People will have big songs but often times the hits will outlive the artist. Very few people are able to stay mainstream relevant for decades, even faster now given how short attention spans are on social media

I will say: black eyed peas and lmfao. Both acts were massive at one point, don’t think gen z really knows them too much lol

Exactly! Most singers' careers don't last multiple decades. They may have a good 5-10 year run, if that, then people move on to the next big thing. Like you said, with social media now, people are only hot for maybe 1-3 years top.

The Culture

Recent Posts

The Henry Cavill Appreciation & (Former) Harem Meet-up Thread (Part 6)
IM DYING YALL!!! Charlie (Henry's brother) shared a story about Cinco de Mayo and not a peep about Henry lollll
America in the Biden-Harris Era Tarot Tea Thread III
But did she say anything when they censured her Mom? Just curious I mean to her credit- she did-...
The Clubhouse App Official Discussion Thread
And just like we predicted - the shade begins. I know damn well Chauncey was in porsha’s room congratulating this morning!!! Chauncey sure...
Daily Pop/ E News
Oh shit! Where is she going? Can't say I'm surprised. Slowly but surely folks are leaving, but the network is still a good place to have (part) of...
New Amsterdam Season 3 Official Trailer (HD) & Discussion Thread
It’s like he has ADD and can’t focus. I just started the episode and jesus Max is just as exhausting as Owen from 9-1-1 Lone Star.
Men Need To Date Each Other
Males dating each other makes no logical sense. If a male doesn't want to date a lady, who expects him to pay for her self-care routines. Then...
Lori Harvey finally doing make up Routine on Vogue y'all
Okay wait her skin is bomb cause I thought she already had on makeup when the video started, damn. When she started washing her face I’m like wtfff??
Feeling conflicted about my boyfriend's mother's death
I’m not sure what’s the point. She wasn’t your mom, you weren’t close. Now she’s gone. Nor does it look like she was ever going to be her...
Top Bottom