Bryan Adams

DEF Leopard

Shania Twain

Bone Thugs N Harmony

Guns N Roses

JA Rule

Allanis Morresette

Peter Frampton

I'd say these three are still pretty popular? I see t-shirts of theirs everywhere from Target to Old Navy to Urban Outfitters etc.

Garth Brooks is still a pretty big name in country music too. I don't know a single song of his but I know his name lol

Jay Crawford

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,142 1,770 2,586
Alleybux
I'm a 90s baby and I adore Donna Summer! Then again I'm gay so that probably has something to do with it lol

I'm curious to know your opinion on that matter because I can tell you're a big fan and probably have more knowledge about it than most. Do you believe she really did make those comments? I know she vehemently denied it for the rest of her life and claimed the writer of the article was angry at her because she'd become a Christian.

Ah fair enough lol, I only mentioned the fans who were too young for her era or weren't born yet because her popularity faded away dramatically by the time those who were born let's say... 1973, etc were growing up in the 80s, it was an example basically.

Do I believe she said it? I personally think she didn't. But I'll say this.

The way she handled it was piss poor and she thought it was one of those rumours that was going to "go away on it's own." (Just like the last one when the gay community thought she was a man) and that previous rumour didn't last long but this one was different. The way she would go on and on and on about Jesus and religion was too much lol and even I thought it was annoying and I ain't gay. What I never understand is why did she completely ditch I Feel Love? I can understand on not wanting to perform Love To Love You Baby but why avoid performing I Feel Love? Another big gay anthem track.

She never really acknowledged it properly until around 1991 when she was releasing Mistaken Identity and then the whole AIDS crisis peaked then and ACT UP (they called themselves that) were really going at it. I'm sure you know the rest of it when she sued them and "won."

But we'll never know if she really said it to be honest. Is a he say, she say sort of thing.

I'm a big fan but one thing I'll always be is honest and no bias.

Good question though

SpiritQueen

Fairy Kween
Reaction score
Reactions
98,789 3,338 2,110
Alleybux
I feel so bad for Gloria Estefan. She was a global star in her time and considered one of the divas in American music (along with Celine Dion, Mariah and some others). Still now people barely mention her. It's like she disappeared and never came back.

Gloria and MSM came out at a time music around the globe was extremely competitive (the 80s). They didn't sound like anybody else AT ALL and still made it HUGE.

Gloria and her husband are in fact the reason why Miami is the music's capital of Latin America nowadays.
I grew up listening to Gloria Estefan's greatest hits album she is my sh!t! I loved her just as much as Selena when I was younger. I know a lot of people my age (25) don't know who she is but I adore her.

Reaction score
Reactions
119,324 2,215 227
Alleybux
Most people tbh. People will have big songs but often times the hits will outlive the artist. Very few people are able to stay mainstream relevant for decades, even faster now given how short attention spans are on social media

I will say: black eyed peas and lmfao. Both acts were massive at one point, don’t think gen z really knows them too much lol

Ditmars

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
11,332 1,180 2,988
Alleybux
Most people tbh. People will have big songs but often times the hits will outlive the artist. Very few people are able to stay mainstream relevant for decades, even faster now given how short attention spans are on social media

I will say: black eyed peas and lmfao. Both acts were massive at one point, don’t think gen z really knows them too much lol
LMAO only had 2 hits. BEP had several and spanned almost a decade.

bustakita

Masterofhaokenucannevabeatme Supreme Clientele
Reaction score
Reactions
17,898 437 202
Alleybux
Cory Daye (Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band) special shout out to Kid Creole too

Yesssss... especially "Cherchez la femme" ALWAYS in my heart...and my favorite rapper of all time Ghostface Killah sampled it and changed only the lyrics not the best...

bustakita

Masterofhaokenucannevabeatme Supreme Clientele
Reaction score
Reactions
17,898 437 202
Alleybux
I absolutely agree. She had that lovely, star quality and the vocals to match it. I’m a millennial with an old soul and I’ve always loved her voice. I listen to Sunshower almost every day.
Totally cosign this post. This group was absolutely epic and I love their music! I love that GFK sampled not one but two of their epic songs!!!

xscapizm

Prima Donna, I'm complex.
Reaction score
Reactions
63,515 1,503 253
Alleybux
Yesssss... especially "Cherchez la femme" ALWAYS in my heart...and my favorite rapper of all time Ghostface Killah sampled it and changed only the lyrics not the best...
Tony's his name! The undefeated champion whoa... yeah... That's the joint right there! The baseline always gets me. Madame Majestic did her thing on this track tho, her rendition is so hauntingly jazzy and her voice is so distinct the perfect mixture of smokey, sultry, and raspy.

Jush

No tea, no shade, no pink lemonade
Reaction score
Reactions
9,800 330 68
Alleybux
Ah fair enough lol, I only mentioned the fans who were too young for her era or weren't born yet because her popularity faded away dramatically by the time those who were born let's say... 1973, etc were growing up in the 80s, it was an example basically.

Do I believe she said it? I personally think she didn't. But I'll say this.

The way she handled it was piss poor and she thought it was one of those rumours that was going to "go away on it's own." (Just like the last one when the gay community thought she was a man) and that previous rumour didn't last long but this one was different. The way she would go on and on and on about Jesus and religion was too much lol and even I thought it was annoying and I ain't gay. What I never understand is why did she completely ditch I Feel Love? I can understand on not wanting to perform Love To Love You Baby but why avoid performing I Feel Love? Another big gay anthem track.

She never really acknowledged it properly until around 1991 when she was releasing Mistaken Identity and then the whole AIDS crisis peaked then and ACT UP (they called themselves that) were really going at it. I'm sure you know the rest of it when she sued them and "won."

But we'll never know if she really said it to be honest. Is a he say, she say sort of thing.

I'm a big fan but one thing I'll always be is honest and no bias.

Good question though

Wow thank you for the detailed response! I learned a lot I didn’t know.

I had no idea she stopped performing ‘I Feel Love’! That is strange, I wonder why. Her and Moroder were the ultimate dream team. Such great collaborators.

ETA: I found this online:

“Somewhat terrifyingly, she later stopped performing the song live due to an incident at a performance in Italy. After singing the song she was pursued off-stage by a male mob who then proceeded to rock the trailer in which she was hiding.”

WonderfullyMade4Me

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,142 703 393
Alleybux
Shania Twain is up there. That woman dominated a whole era in her genre. She is the Queen of country. Even MTV was playing her videos (and you know well that channel wasn't into that kind of music). She is one of the best-selling female artists. Such an ICON.

Loved me some Shania Twain!

GetLikeMeHo

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
161,640 6,182 3,273
Alleybux

Huh? That’s not true at all, why do y’all act like all Gen Z is 15 years old? Older Gen Z are 2000’s kids you know and they were super popular among them. Plus they had hits into the 2010’s and were super big in the earlier part. Yall gotta stop making these types of generalizations

Jay Crawford

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,142 1,770 2,586
Alleybux
Wow thank you for the detailed response! I learned a lot I didn’t know.

I had no idea she stopped performing ‘I Feel Love’! That is strange, I wonder why. Her and Moroder were the ultimate dream team. Such great collaborators.

ETA: I found this online:

Somewhat terrifyingly, she later stopped performing the song live due to an incident at a performance in Italy. After singing the song she was pursued off-stage by a male mob who then proceeded to rock the trailer in which she was hiding.

Lol, yeah, that was about Love To Love You Baby.

Jay Crawford

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,142 1,770 2,586
Alleybux
Huh? That’s not true at all, why do y’all act like all Gen Z is 15 years old? Older Gen Z are 2000’s kids you know and they were super popular among them. Plus they had hits into the 2010’s and were super big in the earlier part. Yall gotta stop making these types of generalizations

The oldest Gen Z kid is a 1997 baby so I'm sure they'll know who they were.

Ditmars

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
11,332 1,180 2,988
Alleybux
Shania Twain just disappeared. It's so strange to me that she was so big and then at one point the media forgot about her. Maybe she's having a better normal regular life. Who knows. I wish her the best.

Jay Crawford

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,142 1,770 2,586
Alleybux
Shania Twain just disappeared. It's so strange to me that she was so big and then at one point the media forgot about her. Maybe she's having a better normal regular life. Who knows. I wish her the best.

Is probably for the best. At least her career didn't become a joke unlike Donna's after their heyday had past. Is better to think of it that way.

UbuTheDog

The Good Pureblood Dog. WOOF!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
37,105 4,937 1,758
Alleybux
*Billy Ocean

*Terence Trent D'Arby

*Pebbles

*Gregory Abbott

*Jerry Butler

*Charo

jackson90

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
65,777 7,520 26,138
Alleybux
Exactly, it was ALWAYS Prince, Michael, and Madonna..

5792976a2a00002d004f6164.png
LoL
stop putting Prince at MJ/Madonna's level
he has never been at their levels
stop overrating Prince by putting him at their levels

Hope this helps

hongnoh

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
48 11 3
Alleybux
Fergie, Gwen Stefani, Justin Timberlake, Austin Mahone (was never famous tbh), the Lizzie McGuire girl, Cheryl ex-Cole, half of the 1D members, the guys from The Wanted, 5th Harmony, Jessica Simpson, Celine Dion

VioletHibiscus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,612 1,080 162
Alleybux
May I just say, you have excellent taste, a true thoroughbred! And ditto. I'm a millennial/old soul and I was raised on the classics. I loved their whole aesthetic and always felt as though they were ahead of their time with this concept, even with their vintage-retro style and never truly got their flowers.

And Sunshowers stays on regular rotation on my playlist! :arrogant
View attachment 2475954
Thank you and right back at you!! Yes, they were way ahead of their time, and the entire album is a masterpiece.

I love this gif lol.

Starde

The Fresh Princess of Bel-Air
Reaction score
Reactions
20,570 211 54
Alleybux
I would say Donna Summer is up there. After the 70s. Her career took a huge nosedive and she doesn't really get acknowledged as much ever since because of disco, since the genre was hated with a passion.

Hell, even when she passed I don't recall anything major that happened in the media like a musical tribute with major artists or something along those lines. It's really sad and such a damn shame. :cry:

Jay Crawford

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,142 1,770 2,586
Alleybux
Hell, even when she passed I don't recall anything major that happened in the media like a musical tribute with major artists or something along those lines. It's really sad and such a damn shame. :cry:

I think the reason is because she wasn't relevant for such a long time. The last time she was relevant was the early 80s but after that? Her career tanked badly.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,434 7,004 6,888
Alleybux
I think the reason is because she wasn't relevant for such a long time. The last time she was relevant was the early 80s but after that? Her career tanked badly.
I think what really destroyed Donna’s career was her alleged anti gay and HIV comments in the mid 80’s. That hurt her career because I assumed a large portion of her fanbase were gay men. They turned on her after those *alleged* statements. I’m using *alleged* because she denied making those statements. She couldn’t recover even after she apologized and tried to clear things up. It’s unfortunate but Black women, no matter how popular they are, still can’t make mistakes! One mistake is alll it takes. She ruled the Disco era though but her career was pretty much over after that. She was one of a kind though...

philly3

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,962 554 102
Alleybux
Ja Rule. It’s cool to make fun of him nowadays but when I was youngin he and the rest of Murder Inc were huge. I remember how much of a big deal Ja’s and Fifty’s beef were.

I agree with Katy Perry going that way.

I also agree with Nelly Furtado and Mase.

Jay Crawford

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,142 1,770 2,586
Alleybux
I think what really destroyed Donna’s career was her alleged anti gay and HIV comments in the mid 80’s. That hurt her career because I assumed a large portion of her fanbase were gay men. They turned on her after those *alleged* statements. I’m using *alleged* because she denied making those statements. She couldn’t recover even after she apologized and tried to clear things up. It’s unfortunate but Black women, no matter how popular they are, still can’t make mistakes! One mistake is alll it takes. She ruled the Disco era though but her career was pretty much over after that. She was one of a kind though...

Pretty much spot on and yeah her core fans were gays. The whole religious reference to her songs throughout the 80s was so annoying too and that was another issue lol. Is like "we get the whole point stop repeating the same sh!t."

But yeah after the disco era, it was over. Donna should have stuck with her plan originally and retire around the early 80s. Safer legacy if you ask me.

Starde

The Fresh Princess of Bel-Air
Reaction score
Reactions
20,570 211 54
Alleybux
I feel like the late 80s/early 90s is a fairly forgotten period in music. Barely referenced, and barely streamed compared to prior and later eras.

Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, and New Kids are forgotten relatively. When it comes to Teen Pop, they usually refer to the 90s, and sometimes even the 70s over the late 80s.

Jody Watley, Karyn White, Pebbles, and Vanessa Williams fall under this too.

I agree. It's a damn shame too because that's actually one of my all-time fave periods of music.

Caramel Delite

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,406 3,620 1,452
Alleybux

Exactly! Most singers' careers don't last multiple decades. They may have a good 5-10 year run, if that, then people move on to the next big thing. Like you said, with social media now, people are only hot for maybe 1-3 years top.